255 State Street
Boston, MA 02109Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.citylanding.com/
- Phone: 6177250305x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 9:30am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Brodsky
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off premise catering options are available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Entertainment: A sophisticated and eclectic collection of world, jazz and contemporary music sets the tone for this modern yet comfortable space.
- Special Events: City Landing hosts special events. They can be found on the restaurant's website at http://www.citylanding.com/news-and-events
- Cross Street: State Street and Atlantic Avenue
- Public Transit: Directly across the street from City Landing is the Aquarium Station T-stop (on the Blue Line), Long Wharf Ferry Terminal, Water Taxi Dock and Hubway Bicycle Station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Validated Parking is available at the Rowes Wharf Garage. Simply bring your parking slip and present it to your server for validation.
$12 Nights and Weekends, $27 All Day Parking
30 Rowes Wharf
Boston MA 02110
Several garages and parking lots are in the immediate area within a five minute stroll of City Landing.
A word from City Landing
City Landing is a contemporary, upscale-casual restaurant located at 255 State Street, serving lunch and dinner seven days a week with Sunday brunch. Forbes Four-Star award winning Chef/Owner Bill Brodsky prepares contemporary American cuisine that meets an energetic and casually sophisticated design, care of Boston's Stephen Sousa. Open airy windows overlook Long Wharf and the Rose Kennedy Greenway; just seconds away from Faneuil Hall, the NE Aquarium and Harbor. A convivial and comfortable setting sees splashes of mint green and rich mahogany, accented by natural quartz stone inlaid with mosaic glass tiles and chic high end lighting. The menu features a large variety of American fare including thoughtful seafood dishes, artisan pizzettas, creative salads and a bounty of carefully crafted entrees produced from locally indigenous ingredients. The bar features small plate tapas, specialty cocktails, local distilleries, local brews on tap, and a reasonably priced wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
City Landing reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)great for outdoor dining (50)great for lunch (41)good for groups (39)special occasion (38)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (29)kid-friendly (19)scenic view (17)great for brunch (16)notable wine list (16)hot spot (14)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)Show More
- Big disappointmentWhateverDined on 4/30/2014The food was consistently underwhelming. The tuna was the worst I ever had. Not sure what was worse, the food or the service. Never to return. Too bad as it is a great spot/location.
- City Landing ReviewChicagoloveDined on 4/27/2014While traveling in Boston, City Landing was a great find. My dinner partner needed a gluten free menu and City Landing's is extensive compared to other restaurants. Our waiter was also the bartender. He was engaging and informative about the city and food and gave us great service. The food was excellent as well. I would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High hopes dashedMainStDined on 4/20/2014Had read many positive reviews of City Landing and was looking for a civilized dining venue that welcomed children. Food was ok, but overall experience was disappointing because of the lacklustre service. One waiter tending to a half-filled restaurant. I prefer low-key service, but City Landing missed the mark. Little things make a difference - make sure guests have the drinks menu before asking what they want to drink. Don't forget to bring water and bread if that's what you typically offer. One pat of butter for five people is not enough. If the group has ordered cocktails, please ask them if they would like another beverage with their meal. Don't forget the one extra side ordered and bring it when plates are almost empty.Special Features:
- Dinner in BostonRunner262Dined on 4/19/2014My husband loved the Buffalo meatloaf. My clams with pasta was well seasoned and tasty. Overall a great experience. Wine prices not crazy high with a wide variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot near waterfrontOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2014We found City Landing to please both omnivores and vegans alike, with plentiful options for both in a great setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute locationOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/19/2014Other than that everything was very average. Nothing bad or less than average, just nothing particularly noticeable
- Conveniently near the Marriott.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/17/2014We checked in to the Marriott late at night and went to this restaurant, that was conveniently located. We were very happy with the quality of their creative food. But skip the steak frite. It it way too tough.Special Features:
- Great food, horrible service.KK2192Dined on 4/17/2014I fine dine regularly and found this place to be extremely contradicting. It has a nice atmosphere and the food is great but my family and I were horribly disappointed by our service. Our waiter was a young male in his 20s- he was rude and barely knew his information; every time we asked a question about the menu he referred us to "page 3".. I think people at fast food chains know their menu better than he did. I am a vegetarian and he brought me my pizza with bacon on it then blamed it on me for not telling him no bacon, which I had. The buss girl spilt water all over our table and on my dads expensive jacket and didn't even apologize. For spending 1k on dinner we were disturbed by the service we received and would never return.Special Features:
- Excelllent All AroundCurtVIPDined on 4/17/2014This beautiful restaurant offers deliciuos, carefully prepared food and excellent service. A "top drawer" destination.Special Features:
- Great downtown gemSamRDined on 4/13/2014Ate at City Landing on the last night of our recent Boston trip- best food we had by far! The duck bruschetta and day boat scallops were particular highlights. Great drinks and service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Restaurant near the AquariumEzgoin51Dined on 4/12/2014Impeccable service at busy harbor side location. Waiter "Sam" was very accommodating to us and our toddler grandson, splitting dishes and fulfilling every request. The "Berry Salad" was particularly memorable, as was the Lamb Bolognese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spoiled a BirthdaybostonfoodieDined on 4/12/2014I booked a table at this restaurant more than 2 weeks prior to my husband's birthday - ESPECIALLY so that we could get a good table. Instead we were squeezed into a tiny corner, right next to the cash desk, so we had waiters looking and passing our table the whole night. We weren't given bread for our table like all the others, and were not offered coffees/desserts. When I made the reservation I asked if the restaurant could do something special, since it was a birthday, but they never even mentioned that they would make an effort, and clearly didn't. So disappointing - I would not go there again!!
- Just So-So My risotto wasRoseladyDined on 4/10/2014Just So-So My risotto was very, very salty. It was replaced. I didn't find the food top quality, but they did have a nice selection of gluten free options. There were not many people dining the evening we were there, so it was pretty quiet. However, tables are quite close to each other and on a different evening there might be little privacy.
- spontaneous family dinnerfamilyzDined on 4/8/2014Amazing service and food for two young families enjoying a mid week dinner get together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousjemjemDined on 3/28/2014The mushroom risotto was out of this world. I am gluten free and they were extremely accommodating of my dietary restrictions and even had a special menu. It was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City LandingSilkeVIPDined on 3/28/2014The menu is creative, food is excellent, physical setting is very attractive... there is a server named Mark who is THE BEST waiter in Boston. Recently the service (except for Mark) has become spotty, with both greeters (several rather clueless people hanging around the reception desk and coming by to ask about things) and servers being less professional (ex. didn't ask about sparking vs. still, made a face when we asked, forgot an order, blamed it on the kitchen). There is a great emphasis on "friendliness" which is well-intentioned but has gone overboard ("Is everything wonderful?")... this is definitely no substitute for competence. We still love City Landing, hope it will get a strong manager and consistent training pronto!Special Features:
- Vegan OptionsaquariumvistitorDined on 3/23/2014I enjoyed the vegan choices which were scarce in the vicinity (within walking distance from the Aquarium). Meat eaters were not as happy with their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice evening!RobGDined on 3/22/2014Decided to dine in the city after hearing about City Landing was well worth the trip in...food was delicious had salmon wife had the scallops which she really enjoyed, also they offer a kids menu with the basics .also had coffee and desert ! I would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food & ServiceMikeTrapDined on 3/22/2014You really can't beat what's on the plate at City Landing. The butter-poached lobster mini-rolls are literally amazing, served without embellishment of any kind on grilled brioche, as God intended. They come two in an order, get them for the table. The Tuna Poke is also a standout on the starters, but the yellow tomato bisque is great. Every entree at our table was fantastic, as were the cocktails. As for service, I asked our waiter if the bar had blue cheese stuffed olives. They didn't, so he made some for me himself. Wow. It's also a lovely room, in a great location in the city. It's not, however, a cool kid scene. Come with a group that's socially self sufficient, and be prepared to enjoy one of the better meals Boston has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good gluten freeAwk2004Dined on 3/22/2014We had 2 celiacs in our party of 5 and the waiter was very helpful and accommodating!Special Features:
- Very good experienceLad50VIPDined on 3/20/2014Was there for a business lunch. It was overall a very good experience. Very good service, and the food was perfectly done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GF HeavenBuffyFanDined on 3/19/2014I've found the gluten-free holy grail! Most restaurants offer gluten-free options as an after thought and I end up feeling unsatisfied and frustrated. City Landing has a gf menu that is well thought out and executed and the pizza is TO DIE FOR. I had pretty much given up on pizza after becoming gf because I'm not about to waste calories on something that's not top notch. After my first meal of gf lamb bolognese (YUM!!), I decided to give the pizza a shot. I had the GF Mushroom & Smoked Chicken Pizzetta With Hand Packed Ricotta, Truffle Oil, Shaved Manchego, Micro Arugula and it was ORGASMIC. Just sayin'. Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSocialMonkey80Dined on 3/17/2014I have to admit that i wanted to love City landing. Unfortunately, its measure a tad better than mediocre and for the price below par. Lunch prices were pricey and small in portions. Salad did look amazing, but a $22 Caesar Salmon salad should be. Member of the party requested a reduction is salt for his entree which our server assured us i would not be a problem. The only difference is they put less sauce, but just as salty as the regular order. Go elsewhere for your business lunch. There's too may choices in Boston to waste a good meal.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureinsnoutsVIPDined on 3/14/2014Every time we come, we're most impressed by the thoughtful, personable and professional service from everyone starting with the hostess and extending to the bartender and waiters. The design is very tasteful and tables are arranged so that its hard to get a bad seat. The food is consistently good but the yellow tomato bisque and mushroom risotto are outstanding. Can be a quiet and comfortable place to meet for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, food, and ambiance!JeCoDined on 3/14/2014Recently met an old friend for dinner. Using a travel site, I found this in the Faneuil Hall area of Boston. Neither of us were familiar with it, but we decided to give it a try. Great decision. Engaging employees and bartender, interesting menu, willingness to make adjustments to suit appetites and allergies, beautiful atmosphere, convenient location, and they allowed us to set the tempo for our evening. Only 2 MINOR concerns. Being downtown, parking is a challenge. They do offer parking validation for a garage - over 4 cold, windy blocks away. And while our server was attentive, a larger party of younger women took his attention. By no means were we ignored, but definitely 2nd place. (Can't really blame him!) Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodChristaoramaVIPDined on 3/7/2014Went here for a quick dinner before a reunion. It was well located from my office and the reunion location. This meal was shared with a friend I hadnt caught up with in a long time, so being able to hear the conversation was key. The food was great, good selection and very tasty well presented. The service was a bit slow, but it was very early in the evening, though it was not crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMnchstrCityBlues79Dined on 3/6/2014Great food! Mark P (our server) was knowledgable, personable and appropriately attentive. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Sunday LunchCallieDined on 3/2/2014We decided to meet our daughter and her husband for a late lunch and we chose City Landing. First of all our server was excellent! Because of the time of day, 2:00, the restaurant was not crowded and we could talk without having to shout. We ordered a couple of appetizers, calamari and the trio of spreads; both were delicious. We then ordered lunch: mini lobster rolls-yummy, a pizzeta, grilled chicken sandwich and the pork belly sandwich. The whole group loved the lunch choices and we left City Landing knowing we wouldn't be needing any dinner that night!! I would definitely go back for lunch and I will try City Landing for dinner soon. A great location with very convenient parking also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrated my daughter'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/1/2014We celebrated my daughter's 24th birthday and were very satisfied. The book was excellent, but did not taste like food at other restaurants. The preparations were creative and freshened my interest in dining. The scallops were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free FriendlyAndyDined on 3/1/2014A little pricey but for the gluten free person in your life it is a great spot. They have a very extensive gluten free menu that includes an extremely good squash pizzetta and a creamy yellow tomato soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Client MeetinglovetoeatDined on 2/25/2014I'm in the pharmaceutical business. Met a few clients here. First time here, wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great vegan/veg menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2014This restaurant was a great find by my boyfriend. It's cozy without feeling crowded, and a fine dining restaurant with a number of excellent vegan options (hard to find in Boston!). I highly recommend the vegan mushroom risotto, it was unbelievable. But you really can't go wrong wtih anything on the menu. Can't wait to go back here when it's warmer as it's right by the water/the greenway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Despite the snow, City Landingmdavis29Dined on 2/15/2014Despite the snow, City Landing was still hopping and our table was ready before our reservation time. Our server was very attentive and helpful... great guy. The Lamb Bolognese was delicious, and my fiancée was very happy with her vegetarian dish. There were really no negative marks to share on this review. We enjoyed our time there very much! The walk back to our hotel in the snow was less pleasant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free and VegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Gluten free and Vegetarian menu. Dinner was fabulous, had the ravioli. Nice choice of good wines by the glass. Atmosphere perfect for a special occasion dinner with a friend or partner,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an awesome time here,StephenDined on 2/14/2014Had an awesome time here, food was great, service was even better because i wasnt rushed and the wine selection was better than i expected. Overall an awesome timeSpecial Features:
- prefectjeancDined on 2/14/2014A valentine treat. Could not have picked a better placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vegetarian MenuMdnvalentineDined on 2/13/2014We went to city landing for our valentine dinner but a day early as the kids have so much to do on Fridays. This was right during a major snowstorm so it was pretty quiet. I picked this restaurant because they specifically had a vegetarian/vegan menu. Most other places we have customize our menu but the fact that the chef thought of specialized diets impressed us. Food was stellar. Some of the best we have had! We had a great bottle of wine-wente Chardonnay which was so good that we didn't even realize we finished the bottle! Usually we are struggling to finish it!! Everything from the appetizers to the entrees was amazing! My husband said that he thought the higher price was worth it for the great flavor see experienced!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousDinerout1Dined on 2/6/2014food was good. had the calamari for an app and then the scallops with mushroom ravolis. yum yum. our server was great and give us some of his favorites so we took his advice. Wish I had room for desert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expected, butfoodVIPDined on 2/1/2014Better than expected, but expensive for what it is. Food is unimaginative, but solid.
- DeliciousMeganVIPDined on 2/1/2014Party of 5 went this previous Saturday night. We ordered the following: chili lime chicken wings, sausage and pepperoni pizzeta, mac & cheese, steak frites, roast chicken, fish & chips, strip steak, along with 3 desserts: coconut tart, boston cream tart, & the giant chocolate cupcake. So clearly we had a large array of things, and honestly, all of it was really good. The chicken wings and mac & cheese in particular were extra delicious. And for dessert, the coconut cream tart was light and flavorful and I could've eaten every bite myself. All 5 of us were very pleased with the food and the service, and I would gladly go back here in a heartbeat.Special Features: