La Famiglia Ristorante
8 South Front Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
La Famiglia Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafamiglia.com/
- Phone: 2159222803
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Gino Sena
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Famiglia can accommodate large parties of 10 or more. Please contact the restaurant for further information.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2159222803
A word from La Famiglia Ristorante
The Sena family tradition of culinary excellence dates back to early 1947 when Carlo “Papa” Sena began to cook in postwar Naples. The family carried this experience across the Atlantic and opened La Famiglia in 1976 in the shell of a Colonial tea warehouse. Today, La Famiglia stands as the finest Italian restaurant in Philadelphia and a major landmark on the city’s vibrant restaurant scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
La Famiglia Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
La Famiglia Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (46)special occasion (44)notable wine list (42)fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (8)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Has earned it's Great RepuationAandSDined on 1/24/2014Delicious food, tasty wine and great service! Would definitely go back for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekMortDined on 1/24/2014Prix fixed choices. Apps were fantastic. Veal was good but I bet they can do better when not mass producing same 3 dishes. Defenitely going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealMarydDined on 1/24/2014We went for restaurant week. It was a last minute reservation and what a good choice. The dishes wer the right size and delicious. We ordered a bottle of wine which was cheater than by the glass plus it was smooth. Would definite recommend to friends , and go again. You should get dressed up to go there . This place isn't a jeans or casual place. That makes the experience even more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbSaimirDined on 1/24/2014Everything about this restaurant was amazing, I would definitely recommend this if you're looking for a fancy night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/22/2014Excellent service and exceptional food. An enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/20/2014Every year my best friend and I take turns taking each other out for our birthday dinner. It is always a surprise to the birthday girl. I picked La Famiglia this time and it was a huge hit!! She loved it! It happened to be restaurant week which was a nice bonus for us. The food was fantastic! We had the good fortune to have Gaetano as our server. He was wonderful! We will be sure to ask for him when we return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect in Every wayshoelady70VIPDined on 1/19/2014The great food is surpassed by fabulous service. Servers are attentive, warm, and friendly. A real family affair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deceiving Wine PricesTony1Dined on 1/19/2014My friends joined us during the Restaurant Week and were lied to in regards to the wine pricing on a glass of house wine. We were told that it would be $5.00 per glass and when the bill came it was $10.95 per glass. The 4 of us all heard this and the maître d lied to us that he never said that. The food and service were good but we will definitely never go back there again nor will our friends. We paid our bill for the 4 of us and it came to $240.00 with the tip. This was advertised as a 3 course item during restaurant week in Center City and priced at $35.00 per person. How deceiving it was when we factored in the deceitful wine issue.Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014I realize price is something that is subjective, but charging almost $8 per Ravioli seems a bit ridiculous to me. As a Center City resident, my honest recommendation is to stick the BYO's... you usually get more for your money and the option to bring your own wine. This place is simply overpriced for what you get.
- The restaurant is comfortableFoodiesVIPDined on 1/18/2014The restaurant is comfortable and it was bustling but not noisy or intrusive. The table side served fish special was fantastic. The pasta dishes were well prepared and creative preparation. Though a traditional, high end Italian restaurant, the menu had interesting preparations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favoriteLoveItalianVIPDined on 1/17/2014One of our favorite restaurants in the world! The Opera Night is not to be missedSpecial Features:
- Traditional ItalianClaireDined on 1/14/2014I had read about the great service, but when we arrived a young girl hostess in a north face jacket took us to our table and just stopped at a table and lit the candle and walked away-didn't say anything or give us menus. Our waiter came over and asked if we wanted something from the bar and I had to ask for the wine list. The wine list was a huge book-like textbook size. He offered his assistance, but the book was way too intimidating so I just chose a bottle off the wines by glass selection. Then it still took awhile to get our dinner menus. After those initial strange things the rest of the night was really great. Our waiter gave great service and the food was very good. The atmosphere felt like we were in Italy. I would go backSpecial Features:
- Best wine list ever !Gonesurfing77Dined on 1/6/2014Wonderful and authentic Italian meal with phenomenal service. Extremely attentive staff and a Moderately priced menu. The wine and champagne list is laid out in an extensive book could take hours to review. Bottles range from $35 - $12,000, with choices from Italy to Napa, 1945 to current. Be sure to take a tour of the wine cellar, impressive to say the least. Family owned and operated since 1976, we will definitely return. Private seating area in the cellar would be a great option. Be sure to save room for the Tiramisu, A M A Z I N G !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the size and serviceBettyJoeDined on 12/30/2013If you want a small intimate restaurant with lots of atmosphere, this is the place. From the bar to the dining room it was lovely. The staff was very good and helpful with the menu. It was very relaxed and we were not at all rushed, which is what we wanted. My lamb chops were excellent. The fish prepared at the table was very good but unfortunately it was not very hot after all the presentation. That was our only negative for the evening. We will definitely go again when we are in Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointingLoveItalianVIPDined on 12/28/2013Truly one f the finest Italian restaurants anywhere.Special Features:
- a memorable dining experienceMarleneDined on 12/27/2013I chose La Famiglia for our staff Christmas party this year and was very pleased with the attentiveness and courtesy of the wait staff, the quality of the food and the pleasant atmosphere. Truly a five star evening. We will return for other special dining events. Thank you!Special Features:
- Amazing experienceDannyVIPDined on 12/27/2013We went to La Famiglia as a last minute change of plans, and we were so glad we did! The evening was incredible from start to finish. I have been to virtually every top rated Italian restaurant in Philly, and this was the best by far. I highly recommend La Famiglia, and cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013Delicious food, outstanding service, and a beautiful, Godfather-esque setting. Absolutely lovely,Special Features:
- consistently superioroutandaboutVIPDined on 12/21/2013Title says it all. Another positive in addition to the food is how they remember you from one visit to the next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/21/2013The reviews were so phenomenal for this restaurant, I expected more. The service was exceptionally warm and attentive, and the food was definitely good. The menu and restaurant were old-school traditional Italian. My date had the ravioli special which was tasty but over-rich, and I had the porcini fettuccini, which was very nice. We started with the grilled octupus, which was generous in size and fine. The meal was $130 before tip, for one app, 2 non-meat entrees, a martini, 2 glasses of house chianti and one desert.Special Features:
- Great service and great food!!FrankDined on 12/20/2013It was our first time there. Our servers were extremely friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. The food was magnificent. We will definitely be returning again, hopefully bringing friends with us to enjoy the wonderful experience that we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit to my old home townTomDVIPDined on 12/19/2013I grew up in South Philadelphia and was back in town on business with a group of my co-workers. A cousin recommended La Famiglia and it was perfect. A mix of Old Neighborhood charm with an up to date menu, it was a huge hit. Well Done! Impeccable Service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding findMyraVIPDined on 12/13/2013We arrived to this very old world Italian restaurant and were wowed by the excellence of the food. We had Branzino that was artfully filleted at the table with a perfect light sauce that enhanced the sweet tender fish without drowning it out. The chianti was smooth and memorable. The bread was extraordinary being very crispy and crunchy. The service was attentive and friendly with no pretentions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkMarkVIPDined on 12/7/2013We have been to La Famiglia on several occasions and have never been disappointed. Food, wine and service were all excellent as usual.Special Features:
- pleasantly surprisedbebeDined on 11/30/2013Being italian and from South Phila., I was really pleasantly surprised with the authenticity of the food. As well as the ambiance.Service also couldn't be any better. Great time. Differently well recommendSpecial Features:
- GnocchiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2013Hands down the best gnocchi I've ever had. Would absolutely go back for another order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestsjhwheelsVIPDined on 11/23/2013Great service, better food at an all time favorite. Never disappoints!Special Features:
- Memorable nightRbaronDined on 11/23/2013My family and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The food, wine, ambience were wonderful. You had a very impressive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new Best of Italian restaurantsconeDined on 11/23/2013This was my first visit to La Famiglia Ristorante. The service was outstanding, good thing because with the largest wine list I've ever seen I needed some help. Food was fantastic, dessert was delicious too. My only complaint would be they didn't serve real cream with the coffee. I will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicePPivovarnikDined on 11/22/2013If you enjoy authentic Italian food in a classy environment this is the place to go. All the food we had was amazing and the service was above and beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Anniversary PlacelmthDined on 11/19/2013La Famiglia has been our choice to celebrate our wedding anniversary for thirteen years. ..we love it!!!Special Features:
- A Classic!fsadVIPDined on 11/16/2013We have a tradition of dining at La Famiglia on Saturday night during our annual pilgrimage to Philadelphia to see the Eagles play. We have been dining here for over a dozen years and have never had a single course that was not superb. If you're looking for trendy, new-age cuisine, look elsewhere. La Famiglia is traditional Northern Italian food at it's simple best: fantastic flavors and instantly recognizable classic Italian dishes. The beef crapaccio is the best we've ever tasted, the penne a La Famiglia is just spectacular, and every veal dish we have tried is an instant hit. Couple this with attentive, friendly service and a beautiful dining room, and you have the best Italian restaurant in the country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The epitome of really fine diningBobGDined on 11/16/2013Philadelphia has an abundance of good Italian restaurants. However, La Famiglia stands out when it comes to what it means to dine in an atmosphere of absolute class and exceptional attention to every possible detail. Warmth, sophistication grace, ambiance, and an entire staff that treats each customer as if they were the only person dining. As soon as you enter, you get the feeling that you are in a very special place. Relaxed formality is the best description. "Trends" are not the order of the day at La Famiglia. What you get is a menu of exquisitely prepared pastas, fish, veal, etc., prepared and presented in a manner not usually experienced in other so-called "fine dining" places. Go to La Famiglia, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Plain Outstanding !RichardVIPDined on 11/15/2013This is a restaurant that takes pride in their food and service. Just plain outstanding !Special Features:
- A FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2013Among the many Italian restaurants in the Greater Philadelphia area, we happened upon this little neighborhood gem. Everyone of the staff and managers made our small party feel welcome and the attention was steady and not heavy. We had a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Famiglia is the upscaleJaimeDined on 11/8/2013La Famiglia is the upscale Italian restaurant for all the lovers of small Italian BYOBs (or not) in south Philly. The food is American Italian with a great variety of fish and meat. Of course the wine cellar they have is probably the most spectacular thing of the restaurant, but you don't have to go to any of the expensive Barolos they have to get an excellent wine. We had the Chianti they had by the glass and was spectacular (something strange for Philly restaurants) The ambient is classic, quiet and the service is very attentive, but maybe a little bit pretentious. It is the perfect place for a family dinner, a romantic dinner or even a group dinner if you get any of the rooms they have for that. A great discovery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the bestJohnDined on 11/8/2013Ate at this restaurant 20 years ago. It was great. Back to Phila for first time in a long time. Restaurant is superb. Truly one of the best Italian places I've been to in Europe and the US..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The entrance is very smallBurgermanVIPDined on 11/2/2013The entrance is very small a and uncomfortable when more than one party is waiting for their table. Atmosphere is very pleasant and the service was very good. Food was excellent except for the Veal Chop which was overpriced and not very good. Everything else was delicious and the banana eclair was excellent. Although pricey this restaurant deserves a few visits a year.Special Features:
- Great ....well, everythingSterlingKarenjeaniDined on 11/2/2013Superior food, service, atmosphere, and friendly staff! One of the best in Philadelphia. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Missing the BasicsDisappointedDined on 11/2/2013There is no way a restaurant should not know how to make lamb chops. These were thin and overdone. Drowning them in a heavy sauce does not make them better. An Italian restaurant that makes a disappointing paste is a disappointment. Out pasta was meant for the table but after tasting it, no one wanted the last bite. The restaurant has been around for a long time but it's time to bring the quality of the food up to the restaurant's past reputation. They can do it if they realize that things are slipping. Sorry to write a negative review.