Firefly American Bistro
22 Concord Street
Manchester, NH 03101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fireflynh.com/
- Phone: 6039359740x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Becker
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: near Elm & Lowell Streets
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking (no charge) in adjacent lot available on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as weeknights after 5pm. Weekday lunch: metered parking available on Concord and Vine Streets. Victory Garage (current rate- 75 cents per hour) located less than one block from restaurant entrance.
A word from Firefly American Bistro
Firefly American Bistro & Bar is a casually upscale American bistro situated in the heart of Manchester"s downtown district. Firefly embraces the concept of comfort dining by offering inspired classic American fare in a warm, inviting atmosphere. Firefly's extensive wine list, craft beer selections, and creative cocktails compliment the time-honored yet innovative creations of Chef David Becker's seasonal menus, which burst with flavors from around the world. The uptown atmosphere is accentuated by downtown hospitality and friendly, professional service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Firefly American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Manchester, NH ›
Firefly American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (34)good for groups (28)romantic (26)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (20)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (14)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (7)Show More
- We had a wonderful time, but...d4nierDined on 7/11/2014I was holding FireFly to a pretty high standard, as it is- by most accounts- one of the top 3 restaraunts in Manchester. This restaraunt has an amazing atmosphere and the food is very good- my particular experience left me a little disappointed, though. To sum up- it wasn't that busy of a night, but it took us well over 10 minutes to get a drink order in and at least 15 to simply get bread. The food is tasty and the presentation is good- but portions are on the small size. Same with the drinks. This is NOT reflected in the price, which was high compared to a similar meal elsewhere in town (~$100 for 2 drinks, 2 entrees, and an appetizer). All in all- great atmosphere, great drinks, but pricey and service was lackluster. YMMV.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MuggsyDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I both felt that this was the worst meal we have had in a restaurant in memory. The brocccoli was green/gray in color and tasteless. The chicken breasts were the thin sliced kind that you buy frozen at the grocery store. And the plate was 3/4 filled with noodles with a greasy sauce. Even the rolls were a disappointment. I ordered the house chardannay, and it was cheap bitter wine. Just a disappointment all the way around. But our waitress was excellent.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2014It was our first time at Firefly, there were 4 of us for an early dinner before the show at the Verizon. We arrived as they opened at 3. The food was excellent, a bit pricy for NH, but overall a very good experience. I would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014Absolutely delicious food, great service and perfect ambience! You cannot go wrong! Perfect for a romantice night out, a group date or even a girls night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeDerDukeDined on 6/26/2014This is a must visit place. Great food, great service, great feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 305 reviews are from the Firefly American Bistro reviews archive.
- FantasticeatingisfunDined on 6/15/2014Service was terrific, attentive but not intrusive. Food was wonderful, something different for everyone. My mother rarely goes out to eat and I would say she had one of the best meals of her life. She was raving about how fresh her scallops were the entire ride home. Thanks for a great fathers day meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try again, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014...the brunch was so-so compared to past years. The cooking was diner-like and lacked the touch I experienced during other visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with the FamilyfarmerfoodieDined on 6/15/2014Excellent food and service as usual. This was our first time going for brunch and also the first time with kids. Note: they do not have a changing table! Brunch prices were totally reasonable and everyone was happy with their meal. Coffee was good, which is important!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2014we were sat next to a seminar with VERY loud talking mangement staff should not set ala carte dinners next to groups WAS NOT a very good dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Great dinner outingPapasnowDined on 5/31/2014Wife and I really enjoyed American Fitefly. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EatsHooksettFoodieDined on 5/31/2014The tuna here is very, very good. Great salads, don't bother with the burger. The steak tips are ok. Will try again, and will try something different from the menu.Special Features:
- ask for bar or dinner seating!Zatanna25Dined on 5/30/2014We reserved for 3 at 5:30pm on OpenTable. There was no option for dining room or bar and when we came in a table was ready for us very close to the bar. We did not plan to drink at all or watch the golf game so it would have been nice to have a choice to sit in the dining area. The bar was quite loud and we couldn't hear each other. Pros - fast friendly service, great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around great dinnerSoxFanNHDined on 5/28/2014I took my wife and 2 sons there to celebrate my wife's birthday. It was a Wednesday night and it was very quiet. Food and service were fantastic. It was an all-around great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visitEasy2pleaseDined on 5/28/2014After two visits one for dinner one for lunch I can safely say I would return again. Dinner was a couple years ago. It was very loud, but we also had a wedding party right next to us. I am assuming it is not always this way. Our lunch visit was nice and quiet. Great, friendly service. The restaurant was a little dirty. Maybe time for some spring cleaning. Food was great, drinks were great. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gr8 food, need better servicezrexDined on 5/24/2014Service was very slow. Asked for a quiet romantic table, but was sat next to door and kitchen. restaurant was not that full. Food was delicious, though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatBibsterDined on 5/24/2014Two out of four in our party loved their meal. Two did not. The short rib and bacon wrapped bistro steak were well received. Pan-seared scallops weren't pan-seared, no browning at all just warmed through. Pork tenderloin was just poorly described in the menu; she didn't expect so much curry. Drinks were good and service was very good. I'd go back again but with a little bit lower expectations. It was just not the foodie-like experience that I expected.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DiningLovediningoutDined on 5/17/2014The food was excellent as well as the waitress. I have been there before and will certainly come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David's doing it right.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014Friendly, comfortable dining. Food is outstanding.Special Features:
- Pre-show dinnerVirgindining1Dined on 5/15/2014We went early to be out in time for the show at the palace. The spinach salad w/fried goat cheese was splendid. Great crunch w/bacon and pine nuts. My eggplant dish was heavenly. Great flavored. I did not care for the cheese crisp, but it wAs on the side. My husband had the (optional) whole wheat penne with andouille sausage, crawfish, shrimp in Cajun cream sauce. It was true to the ingredients and spicy, which was exactly what he wanted. There were 5 people at the bar, whose conversation echoed and sounded louder than it probably was. We both had delicious desserts: chocolate mousse and brownie sundae which I would not even share. Best chocolate coma ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Braised Short RibsluvdininginNHDined on 5/11/2014I took my wife and "kids" (both adults now) to Firefly for Mother's Day dining and found the place to be very charming. We made the reservation via OpenTable and was able to find a table for six even though we initially made the reservation for 2 (but we were lucky). The restaurant was a bit noisy but mostly because there was one person whose voice just "boomed" across the room and his laugh almost hurt our ears. That situation aside, the menu was quite varied and we all had a hard time deciding what to order. My wife loved her sea scallops wrapped in bacon and the braised short ribs were some of the best I've had (tender and moist with veins of fat). I don't get much fat at home so this was a real treat (including what we took home).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014I have been there several times before and the food has always been excellent, as has the service. This was on Mother's Day, and they clearly didn't know how manage. Food was mediocre, service was terrible.
- No flavor!CherroccDined on 5/10/2014Four of us went. It was my second time there and had been a long time. Now I remember why. Absolutely boring food with no flavor, especially the vegetables-steamed with no flavor-not even salt or pepper or olive oil! The seared tuna was the same-blahh! I won't be back-there are better restaurants in the area. The service was good however- but what's the use.Special Features:
- great food, great serviceMonicaDined on 5/9/2014I love the food here, the food is always fresh and is kind of upscale comfort food. noise level can be challenging but that said its a great place to meet friendsSpecial Features:
- mid week surprisenickDined on 5/5/2014stopped in during a vacation to Manchester and had a very nice meal. I had the Lamb Shank that was fork tender and my wife had Filet that was perfectly cooked. she was unable to finish it as well. The drinks were excellent, Ginger Mojito X2 and Raspberry Martini for my wife. great spot to visit.Special Features:
- Expected BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/20144 of us met four dinner. Waiter was on the ball and got us drinks just after being seated. One of our party returned the crab cakes claiming little crab and lots of filler. Dinners where OK for the most part good but not outstanding. However for the money we expected more. Will return but not go out of our way to do so....I would recommend this to a friend.
- rmmhdiningDined on 4/29/2014I loved this restaurant! It was quiet, dark, and had a rustic feel to it. I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and we loved our meals. They had a great beer and wine selection, along with a decent list of drinks. I personally didn't like the drink I ordered, but the waitress took it off our tab and offered to bring me a different drink. The seafood chowder was tasty and seemed fresh, I recommend! Also loved the Bourbon street fettuccine, SO GOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad servicehm22Dined on 4/29/2014The waitress took our drink order and I asked for iced tea. She said "sweetener on the side?" And I said yes. She brought the tea quickly but no sweetener. She rarely came by our table and the next time I saw her was when we were ordering our main courses. She never even asked if we wanted appetizers. We had to tell her we wanted calamari, which was delicious. I hate feeling like I have to beg waiters to take my money! He ordered chicken picatta which was light and so perfect for spring. I got the pork tenderloin which was a little dry but very tasty. I would try the lamb shank. By the end of the meal she didn't even ask if we wanted dessert, just brought the check. I really wanted crème brulé but our waitress clearly wanted to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014They make the best Mojito's in Manchester! Food is consistently excellent! Staff is superb!Special Features:
- Slow service. Brunch was so-somRo5252Dined on 4/20/2014Went for Easter brunch. While our table was ready when we arrived and the waitress immediately took our drink order. Drinks arrived quickly. However the make your own bloody Mary station lacked half of the items it shows on the menu. Very disappointed. We had some questions on the menu about gluten free options. Unfortunately the menu online shows gluten free but the printed menus did not. Disappointed with the lack of gluten free options. We ordered our food and seemed to wait forever. Not once did the waitress check on us during this time. When the food did arrive it was OK. I was disappointed with the special (leg of lamb). It was a terrible cut... Very fatty.the rest of the meals were OK but seemed to be more like pub food.
- DisappointedVandJDined on 4/14/2014We are foodies and were eager to try out Firefly since it got good reviews on this site. However, we were quite disappointed, especially with the food. Although it wasn't bad, per se, it was ordinary, unimaginative, and in some cases, flavorless. The salad had canned black olives, the dessert selection was nothing special, like something you'd get at a chain, and the special pasta with scallops and shrimp with a lobster sauce, was flavorless. The positive was that the scallops and shrimp were cooked appropriately. Our waiter was fine, however and they did divide dishes for us. This restaurant was expensive for food that was no better than a chain restaurant. No real chef here. The wine list was extensive but pricy. Sorry, we won't be back.
- Awesome food!EPODDined on 4/12/2014Literally everything we ordered was excellent. That's rare to find. Too bad we don't live in the area or I would visit on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manchester Eats Week - FireflyDeniseDined on 4/12/2014Went to Firefly for Manchester Eats week - if we hadn't known it was eats week - they never would have given us the menu - if you are going to be part of it - then it should be automatic. Food was ok - not great - I have had much better meals here. My partner had the Salmon and he thought it was overcooked but he said the rice pilaf was the worst he has ever had. Very bland - not seasoned at all. I had the chicken farfalle. It was good . Go Go Bread is still the best. Dessert was very good (I had Chocolate Mousse, he had Cheesecake). I'd still go back because I defintely have had better food here.Special Features:
- Good each and every timegsinvDined on 4/11/2014Firefly never disappoints. If it's dinner, brunch, or drinks and a dessert this place always does it right. Been going since just after they opened a few years back, and it has been rock steady all along. This is a top 3 Manchester spot for sure.Special Features:
- Outstanding as alwaysEdluvtoeatDined on 4/11/2014Chef Dave has outdone himself again, it is no wonder that they have received best of the best year after year. The pork tornado was so good you could cut it with a butter knife and the asparagus was to die for. The vegetable combo was perfect. I have never had a bad dining experience at the Firefly. Quality is extremely high quantity was perfect and the service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2014We had requested a table in our reservation and they sat us at a booth when there where plenty of tables available. I said in my reservations we did not want to sit in the bar area and that is where they where going to seat us if I did not speak up. If they where busy one thing but where they where not busy they should read the reservation request more clearly and try an accommodate the guests. Two of our dinners the food was very dry.Special Features:
- Great serviceJenniferDined on 4/6/2014We had the most relaxing girls brunch.....our waitress was so accommodating, and never let us feel rushed. Everything was just right. Great menu choices as we'll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWjgingueDined on 4/5/2014This was a very great Meal! We started with the go go bread and goat cheese salad, both were superb. The i hade the bourbon street pasta and my with had the feature steak. The pasta was excellent the dish was spiced perfect a little hot but not overwhelming just how i like it, with big shrimp and crawdad and sausage. My wife steak was perfect cooked with fingerling potatoes tender and juicy. If we are ever back in Manchester we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Manchester spotChrisDined on 4/5/2014When my Concord friends want to eat out with us from Nashua, we always meet in the middle at Fireflys. The food is always good, the drinks well prepared. and I have never had a bad server. Last week, Jamie waited on us and was just a delight. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firefly FunGailaDined on 4/2/2014We arrived on time, not sure if parking was available other than street side, or there was a lot for the Fire Fly. Very pleased with the atmosphere. Very comfortable. Our waiter was very helpful in suggesting drinks and lunch. Had a great drink that I never had before! It was a fun casual pl;ace and I will be sure to return.Special Features:
- special occasion frustrationfrustratedinerDined on 3/29/2014Reservations at 5:15p, seated at 1st table by door. Basically, once the waitress took our order she disappeared. After 45 minutes I got a manager, and finally got a second round of drinks and water refilled. Our app for 2 came out with my soup. Manager offered a free round of drinks for our troubles. We wanted a special night out but it didn't happen at Firefly. With so many places in Manchester to eat, we will try many others before we go back here.