Firefly American Bistro
22 Concord Street
Manchester, NH 03101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fireflynh.com/
- Phone: 6039359740
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Becker
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: near Elm & Lowell Streets
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking (no charge) in adjacent lot available on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as weeknights after 5pm. Weekday lunch: metered parking available on Concord and Vine Streets. Victory Garage (current rate- 75 cents per hour) located less than one block from restaurant entrance.
A word from Firefly American Bistro
Firefly American Bistro & Bar is a casually upscale American bistro situated in the heart of Manchester"s downtown district. Firefly embraces the concept of comfort dining by offering inspired classic American fare in a warm, inviting atmosphere. Firefly's extensive wine list, craft beer selections, and creative cocktails compliment the time-honored yet innovative creations of Chef David Becker's seasonal menus, which burst with flavors from around the world. The uptown atmosphere is accentuated by downtown hospitality and friendly, professional service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Firefly American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (34)fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (30)romantic (26)good for groups (25)hot spot (17)great for lunch (16)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (12)great for outdoor dining (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- gr8 food, need better servicezrexDined on 5/24/2014Service was very slow. Asked for a quiet romantic table, but was sat next to door and kitchen. restaurant was not that full. Food was delicious, though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatBibsterDined on 5/24/2014Two out of four in our party loved their meal. Two did not. The short rib and bacon wrapped bistro steak were well received. Pan-seared scallops weren't pan-seared, no browning at all just warmed through. Pork tenderloin was just poorly described in the menu; she didn't expect so much curry. Drinks were good and service was very good. I'd go back again but with a little bit lower expectations. It was just not the foodie-like experience that I expected.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 294 reviews are from the Firefly American Bistro reviews archive.
- Delicious DiningLovediningoutDined on 5/17/2014The food was excellent as well as the waitress. I have been there before and will certainly come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David's doing it right.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014Friendly, comfortable dining. Food is outstanding.Special Features:
- Pre-show dinnerVirgindining1Dined on 5/15/2014We went early to be out in time for the show at the palace. The spinach salad w/fried goat cheese was splendid. Great crunch w/bacon and pine nuts. My eggplant dish was heavenly. Great flavored. I did not care for the cheese crisp, but it wAs on the side. My husband had the (optional) whole wheat penne with andouille sausage, crawfish, shrimp in Cajun cream sauce. It was true to the ingredients and spicy, which was exactly what he wanted. There were 5 people at the bar, whose conversation echoed and sounded louder than it probably was. We both had delicious desserts: chocolate mousse and brownie sundae which I would not even share. Best chocolate coma ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Braised Short RibsluvdininginNHDined on 5/11/2014I took my wife and "kids" (both adults now) to Firefly for Mother's Day dining and found the place to be very charming. We made the reservation via OpenTable and was able to find a table for six even though we initially made the reservation for 2 (but we were lucky). The restaurant was a bit noisy but mostly because there was one person whose voice just "boomed" across the room and his laugh almost hurt our ears. That situation aside, the menu was quite varied and we all had a hard time deciding what to order. My wife loved her sea scallops wrapped in bacon and the braised short ribs were some of the best I've had (tender and moist with veins of fat). I don't get much fat at home so this was a real treat (including what we took home).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014I have been there several times before and the food has always been excellent, as has the service. This was on Mother's Day, and they clearly didn't know how manage. Food was mediocre, service was terrible.
- No flavor!CherroccDined on 5/10/2014Four of us went. It was my second time there and had been a long time. Now I remember why. Absolutely boring food with no flavor, especially the vegetables-steamed with no flavor-not even salt or pepper or olive oil! The seared tuna was the same-blahh! I won't be back-there are better restaurants in the area. The service was good however- but what's the use.Special Features:
- great food, great serviceMonicaDined on 5/9/2014I love the food here, the food is always fresh and is kind of upscale comfort food. noise level can be challenging but that said its a great place to meet friendsSpecial Features:
- mid week surprisenickDined on 5/5/2014stopped in during a vacation to Manchester and had a very nice meal. I had the Lamb Shank that was fork tender and my wife had Filet that was perfectly cooked. she was unable to finish it as well. The drinks were excellent, Ginger Mojito X2 and Raspberry Martini for my wife. great spot to visit.Special Features:
- Expected BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/20144 of us met four dinner. Waiter was on the ball and got us drinks just after being seated. One of our party returned the crab cakes claiming little crab and lots of filler. Dinners where OK for the most part good but not outstanding. However for the money we expected more. Will return but not go out of our way to do so....I would recommend this to a friend.
- rmmhdiningDined on 4/29/2014I loved this restaurant! It was quiet, dark, and had a rustic feel to it. I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and we loved our meals. They had a great beer and wine selection, along with a decent list of drinks. I personally didn't like the drink I ordered, but the waitress took it off our tab and offered to bring me a different drink. The seafood chowder was tasty and seemed fresh, I recommend! Also loved the Bourbon street fettuccine, SO GOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad servicehm22Dined on 4/29/2014The waitress took our drink order and I asked for iced tea. She said "sweetener on the side?" And I said yes. She brought the tea quickly but no sweetener. She rarely came by our table and the next time I saw her was when we were ordering our main courses. She never even asked if we wanted appetizers. We had to tell her we wanted calamari, which was delicious. I hate feeling like I have to beg waiters to take my money! He ordered chicken picatta which was light and so perfect for spring. I got the pork tenderloin which was a little dry but very tasty. I would try the lamb shank. By the end of the meal she didn't even ask if we wanted dessert, just brought the check. I really wanted crème brulé but our waitress clearly wanted to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014They make the best Mojito's in Manchester! Food is consistently excellent! Staff is superb!Special Features:
- Slow service. Brunch was so-somRo5252Dined on 4/20/2014Went for Easter brunch. While our table was ready when we arrived and the waitress immediately took our drink order. Drinks arrived quickly. However the make your own bloody Mary station lacked half of the items it shows on the menu. Very disappointed. We had some questions on the menu about gluten free options. Unfortunately the menu online shows gluten free but the printed menus did not. Disappointed with the lack of gluten free options. We ordered our food and seemed to wait forever. Not once did the waitress check on us during this time. When the food did arrive it was OK. I was disappointed with the special (leg of lamb). It was a terrible cut... Very fatty.the rest of the meals were OK but seemed to be more like pub food.
- DisappointedVandJDined on 4/14/2014We are foodies and were eager to try out Firefly since it got good reviews on this site. However, we were quite disappointed, especially with the food. Although it wasn't bad, per se, it was ordinary, unimaginative, and in some cases, flavorless. The salad had canned black olives, the dessert selection was nothing special, like something you'd get at a chain, and the special pasta with scallops and shrimp with a lobster sauce, was flavorless. The positive was that the scallops and shrimp were cooked appropriately. Our waiter was fine, however and they did divide dishes for us. This restaurant was expensive for food that was no better than a chain restaurant. No real chef here. The wine list was extensive but pricy. Sorry, we won't be back.
- Awesome food!EPODDined on 4/12/2014Literally everything we ordered was excellent. That's rare to find. Too bad we don't live in the area or I would visit on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manchester Eats Week - FireflyDeniseDined on 4/12/2014Went to Firefly for Manchester Eats week - if we hadn't known it was eats week - they never would have given us the menu - if you are going to be part of it - then it should be automatic. Food was ok - not great - I have had much better meals here. My partner had the Salmon and he thought it was overcooked but he said the rice pilaf was the worst he has ever had. Very bland - not seasoned at all. I had the chicken farfalle. It was good . Go Go Bread is still the best. Dessert was very good (I had Chocolate Mousse, he had Cheesecake). I'd still go back because I defintely have had better food here.Special Features:
- Good each and every timegsinvDined on 4/11/2014Firefly never disappoints. If it's dinner, brunch, or drinks and a dessert this place always does it right. Been going since just after they opened a few years back, and it has been rock steady all along. This is a top 3 Manchester spot for sure.Special Features:
- Outstanding as alwaysEdluvtoeatDined on 4/11/2014Chef Dave has outdone himself again, it is no wonder that they have received best of the best year after year. The pork tornado was so good you could cut it with a butter knife and the asparagus was to die for. The vegetable combo was perfect. I have never had a bad dining experience at the Firefly. Quality is extremely high quantity was perfect and the service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2014We had requested a table in our reservation and they sat us at a booth when there where plenty of tables available. I said in my reservations we did not want to sit in the bar area and that is where they where going to seat us if I did not speak up. If they where busy one thing but where they where not busy they should read the reservation request more clearly and try an accommodate the guests. Two of our dinners the food was very dry.Special Features:
- Great serviceJenniferDined on 4/6/2014We had the most relaxing girls brunch.....our waitress was so accommodating, and never let us feel rushed. Everything was just right. Great menu choices as we'll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWjgingueDined on 4/5/2014This was a very great Meal! We started with the go go bread and goat cheese salad, both were superb. The i hade the bourbon street pasta and my with had the feature steak. The pasta was excellent the dish was spiced perfect a little hot but not overwhelming just how i like it, with big shrimp and crawdad and sausage. My wife steak was perfect cooked with fingerling potatoes tender and juicy. If we are ever back in Manchester we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Manchester spotChrisDined on 4/5/2014When my Concord friends want to eat out with us from Nashua, we always meet in the middle at Fireflys. The food is always good, the drinks well prepared. and I have never had a bad server. Last week, Jamie waited on us and was just a delight. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firefly FunGailaDined on 4/2/2014We arrived on time, not sure if parking was available other than street side, or there was a lot for the Fire Fly. Very pleased with the atmosphere. Very comfortable. Our waiter was very helpful in suggesting drinks and lunch. Had a great drink that I never had before! It was a fun casual pl;ace and I will be sure to return.Special Features:
- special occasion frustrationfrustratedinerDined on 3/29/2014Reservations at 5:15p, seated at 1st table by door. Basically, once the waitress took our order she disappeared. After 45 minutes I got a manager, and finally got a second round of drinks and water refilled. Our app for 2 came out with my soup. Manager offered a free round of drinks for our troubles. We wanted a special night out but it didn't happen at Firefly. With so many places in Manchester to eat, we will try many others before we go back here.
- Date night with my husbandOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014Date night with my husband was wonderful and I'm so glad we tried this place. It was fantastic, food service awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FireFly in ManchVegas.KevinInManchDined on 3/28/2014Great overall experience. Food was excellent. Waitstaff was attentive without being over bearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies Night OutfoodsnobDined on 3/28/2014There were five if us and everyone enjoyed their meals. No complaints! Good variety of offerings with great preparation and nice finishing touches. The menu has great standard fare and a special nightly option giving new comers and regulars a unique choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!KathrynDined on 3/22/2014Great for a ladies night out. Five of us wined and dined around 7pm on a Saturday night. It was pretty busy but we got a table at the end of the room, near the windows. Not too loud and enjoyed the food/wine we had ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful mealDaveinChicagoVIPDined on 3/19/2014A work colleague and I (both from out of town) came to Firefly with a local colleague. We had a great meal -- delicious salads. Two of us had the shrimp and scallop scampi, which had a very flavorful garlic (lots and lots of garlic), white wine, & lemon sauce -- served on linguine with a bit of parsley. It was delicious and filling -- and loaded with garlic (in case you overlooked my earlier mention). Our colleague had boneless beef short rib, slow roasted and served with a tasty Guinness-based sauce with a lot of winter root veggies and a bit of rosemary over perfectly-cooked risotto. The only thing not amazing were rolls served with the salad -- they were a bit over-baked and were pretty flavorless. All in all, definitely worth a visit!!Special Features:
- YumgromDined on 3/16/2014went to Firefly last Sunday for brunch and had an amazing lobster egg benedict and bloody mary. It was awesome to be able to "dress" my bloody mary the way that I liked it, and the benedict had 4 huge pieces of lobster claw meat on it. Delicious. my only complaint was that service was definitely lacking and after sitting down it took about 45 minutes for our waitress to come back and check on us for a drink and food order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scattered staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014The hostess forgot about us, with no apology. We weren't seated until 30 minutes after our reservation and there had been an empty table waiting for us. The food was very good and our waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2014The service was excellent and the food was very good and not expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrate our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/6/2014We celebrate our anniversary there every year and in between this occasion. It is always such a pleasurable experience with wait staff and food is always exceeds our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out table was ready when weDaveDined on 3/1/2014out table was ready when we arrived. the waiter was very attentive. the good was great. would definitely go back and bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceNHDinerDined on 2/27/2014at the end of Feb we had a farewell dinner for an employee. Our waitress was excellent and very friendly. The menu choices are more than adequate and there is something for everyone. The prices are also fine for the quality and amount of food you receive and they have a good wine and beer selection. Overall everyone enjoyed their meals and commented on how delicious the flavors were. The atmosphere is nice and trendy enough. It can get loud on busy nights but we didn't have any issues the night we were in. The parking lot is a big plus to avoid having to pay for metered parking until 8pm on weekdays. I will continue to dine here and recommend it to family and friends.Special Features:
- Amazing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/26/2014We were so excited to try this Hippo-rated restaurant and were bummed when our flight from DC was delayed by 3 hours... upon our arrival into Manchester, we immediately called to see if they could still accommodate our group of 6. Much to our surprise, the chef agreed to keep the kitchen open for us and we enjoyed an amazing meal. The service was friendly all the food was well prepared and presented, despite it being past 10pm! Highlights for appetizers were the go-go-bread and salads (house balsamic dressing rocks). We sampled a variety of excellent main courses as well. Kudos to this gem of an establishment that renews my confidence in the possibilities for well-managed dining experience which really does care about its customers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good once againCindyDined on 2/23/2014This is our second trip to Firefly. We all tried something different than the first time, and once again everything was really good. I ate my whole meal (salmon and ravioli) which doesn't happen often. All four of us agreed that this place is a keeper!Special Features:
- Great eggs benedictcjb2uDined on 2/23/2014We were seated for almost 10 minutes before a waitress came to our table, and then it was only because I spoke to the host about not having had any service. However, she offered us free drinks on the house due to the acknowledged poor service so it was handled to our satisfaction. The eggs benedict were perfectly prepared with just the right amount of hollandaise and an egg with firm white but runny center. Also appreciated the good quality of the bread used as well as the ham; proportions were good, and the muffin was easy to cut through. Other people at our table had veggie omelet and a special beef dish, and both gave dishes received rave reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.