Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg
245 Kentlands Blvd
Gaithersburg, MD 20878Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: (240) 477-1040x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg
At Not Your Average Joe's, we build like we cook: creatively, from scratch, with guests in mind. One look at the renderings of our new Gaithersburg restaurant, and you'll see what we mean.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg - Best Restaurants in Gaithersburg ›
Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (150)great for outdoor dining (122)great for lunch (98)good for groups (94)fit for foodies (80)kid-friendly (74)special occasion (60)vibrant bar scene (54)hot spot (39)great for brunch (28)late-night find (18)notable wine list (14)romantic (10)scenic view (3)Show More
- DonniDined on 6/6/2014This was my second visit to NYAJ's and the first visit was great but, after this past visit I would not recommend this restaurant. The coconut shrimp were overcooked; the avocado was brown in the nachos and the cheese was rubbery not melted. The server seemed annoyed and spent more time talking to the other server rather than serving our food. The restaurant was not packed for lunch time service. The vegetables in my cannelloni was almost raw and, the chicken breast was bland. The fish and chips were ordinary. My friend enjoyed her cappellini pasta and another enjoyed the mustard chicken.Special Features:
- Always a good choiceHungryfamily3Dined on 6/3/2014Went there with a group a friends. Service is good. food is always excellent. We sat on patio. Plenty of parking. Not your average Joe's is always a good choice. Have never Been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good neighborhood spottraveled4everDined on 5/30/2014Had lunch with a friend and found nearly everything satisfactory, with kudos to the server for friendliness, promptness, and honesty. She did not recommend the crab cake BLT (not up to Maryland standards, not fresh lump crabmeat). We were happy with our second choices, but not so much with the strawberry shortcake dessert. The shortcake was tasty but had a very hard crust, had to be cut with a knife (over-baked?). The restaurant is spacious, so you don't feel like you are dining in your neighbor's lap (thanks for not cramming tables cheek by jowl); however, it is noisy (more than energetic!) when busy. All in all, a good addition to the Kentlands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/29/2014NYAJ is consistently an excellent place for dinner. Starting with the wonderful bread and dip (so difficult not to overeat!), great tasting drinks (there is always something appealing on the specials menu), and the the entrees. So many choices; never had a bad dish. If you still have room, try a dessert. The service is good, the staff attentive and considerate. Very nice outdoor seating area. I would recommend making a reservation, especially on a Friday or Saturday evening.Special Features:
- AWESOME!NYAJSuperfanDined on 5/28/2014This place is ALWAYS a wonderful meal! Value, terrific service and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodYummyDined on 5/27/2014Comfortable outdoor dining with heat lamps or ceiling fans as needed. Food is consistently good and they seem to really try to please. Not Your Average Joes is our GO-TO for neighborhood dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2014Waitress very friendly, prompt service; crisp salads, tasty pulled pork. Pasta sauce was average at best. Overall nice experienceSpecial Features:
- Consistently great experienceCouplesNightVIPDined on 5/24/2014We tried Not Your Average Joes because of the convenient location. We keep coming back because it has consistently great food and great service. The staff is young, friendly and attentive. The menu changes often enough to keep it interesting but still keeps our favorite items. One of the new items is the flatbread appetizer. You really should try it. We've never been disappointed by any of the entrees. We've really been enjoying the cannelloni's lately. This place is more than just a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as UsualtjhavigDined on 5/24/2014We have to drive over an hour to get to NYAJ's, but it is always worth it. We split a Waldorf salad and each had the pecan crusted chicken. Everything from the bread (seconds were required) with dipping sauce to the ice cream dessert we had to split, was great. Affordable, friendly a constantly fresh menu make this one of our all time favorite places.Special Features:
- Like familyBramiVIPDined on 5/23/2014Going to NYAJ is like having dinner with family. The staff makes you feel at home and the food is great.Special Features:
- LarryDined on 5/23/2014Two out of our four dishes got rave reviews. The other two were OK. Service was great, although water and ice tea glasses were left without refills. Menu had a lot of variety and was reasonably priced. I would go back and try it again.
- Great Service & Good Eats!PartyOnGarthVIPDined on 5/21/2014Our waitress was awesome! Had a great experience, she went out of her way to make sure we were taken care of. Ahi Tuna salad was excellent but ask for the dressing on the side, they put too much on mine, my wife had the chicken enchiladas with poblano sauce, excellent.
- Burnt steakdinnnerDined on 5/21/2014The steak i ordered was burnt. Charred to the point where all I could taste is the burnt parts, seems like they needed to do a better job of cleaning the grill. Overall the sides were good steak i had to send back, next one still tasted a little burned but not nearly as bad. Manager comped the steak.
- Good food, service needs to improveFeebsDined on 5/20/2014We enjoyed the food, and it was great that they cater to people with allergies. However, both times we've been here, we experienced service that needed improvement. When we entered, we were told that if we'd wait a few minutes, they'd have a nice booth for us. Ten minutes later she said she'd take us to our table "outside". Not wanting to sit outside, we had to wait another 10 minutes for a booth, with reservations? Our main service complaint was our waiter who kept saying things would be right out. The beer took about 15 minutes, and it was 10 minutes before I was able to talk to someone about food preparation for my allergies. Also we waited close to 30 minutes for the mashed potatoes (they ran out) for the meatloaf dinner.Special Features:
- The following 759 reviews are from the Not Your Average Joe's Gaithersburg reviews archive.
- awesomeetoolikaDined on 5/19/2014The outdoor seating was perfect, the fresh bread and meal very tasty, the wait staff friendly and attentive. I've been here several times and I'm never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed by allMonjaDined on 5/19/2014Our group pf six was given great service and delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- girls lunchCarolDined on 5/16/2014Service was a little slow but very friendly. On the upside, the slower service meant we didn't feel rushed to have to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day 201413BFnSUBDined on 5/11/2014My daughter and her friend took me to my latest best find in restaurants for Mother's Day. I knew to make reservations ahead of time and when we arrived they knew why, the place was packed with waiting outside, had to be minimally an hour wait. It pleased me to no end they both had such a hard time deciding what to eat. I did warn them of the wonderful bread dip and not to fill up on it, but very hard to do! Keep up the great environment and food choices!Special Features:
- Love this placeMaybeSewVIPDined on 5/11/2014Fresh, made on spot food with great service! Rotating specials so there's always something new to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for folks with food allergies!DairyFreeForBabyDined on 5/11/2014We love Joes because if you have a food allergy, they can modify menu items or create personalized dishes cooked in separate oil to accommodate you. Excellent service and delicious food.Special Features:
- Love this restaurantoutwjandtDined on 5/11/2014We are regulars at Not Your Average Joe's, and the food is always good. The monthly specials are my favorite, but everything is good. They have the best bread and dip for before dinner. The manager is very friendly and always walks around to see how people are doing.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Mothers' Day DinnerancientelmDined on 5/11/2014Our family dinner was most enjoyable, not least because of the friendly and efficient waitress who served us. She checked on our needs frequently despite being very busy. Our entrees were very tasty and a little different than usual. My son had Tuscan shrimp with fettucini, My daughter chose the hanger steak with lettuce wedge and I had the codfish and crab cake with vegetables. All were delicious. For dessert we shared the excellent Key lime pie with raspberry sauce. We look forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food service questionable foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014The service was great however, the food wasn't very good. there were 4 of us in my party andevery dish was lacking flavor and heavy on other itemsSpecial Features:
- GinnDined on 5/11/2014NYAJ staff bent over backwards, with smiles, to accommodate a much larger group than I had anticipated and reserved for. The consistently fine food and always great service are worth repeat visits, again and again. Thanks for helping to make a delightful Mothers Day celebration possible. (Staff terrific with cranky toddlers, too!) We were outside on a lovely day, so the noise level was fine, except for the occasional hot rod or motorcycle. ;-)Special Features:
- Joe's Identity CrisisthinkingmeatDined on 5/10/2014I really wanted to love this place. And it does have its good points. The decor is cool. The vibe is urban. The people are friendly. The food is (I'm told, at least) freshly prepared from scratch. The wine selection is decent, and I like that most are available by the carafe. The menu, however, seems unfocused. And that's part of the "identity crisis." Is this place trying to be a real foodie-friendly restaurant, or just a hipster Applebee's? Despite the ambition in its name, two main things are dragging Joe down to the ordinary: The portions are too big, and the pace is too hurried. Don't bring my main while I'm eating my salad. And please don't clear one plate at a time, especially without even asking if I'm finished with it. Relax, Joe.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Average Joe's is not averageSteveVIPDined on 5/9/2014Always great choices at very fair prices. Service is also always excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/5/2014Poor service for hardly being crowded. Food is just so-so and overpriced. We went for specials we received in emails and the server didn't even talk about them. It was cinco de mayo! The computer was to blame that the specials weren't priced correctly on bill.
- Really enjoyed our visit to NYAJ!malindakaymdDined on 5/3/2014We went with another couple and had a wonderful evening here. The food was terrific - it has been every time that I have dined here. Interesting menu selections, well prepared. We went on a Saturday night this time, and the restaurant did get a bit loud as the evening went on, but there was a great energy to the room. We all chose different entrees and there was not a bad one in the bunch. We love NYAJ and will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe JoeBettisVIPDined on 5/3/20143rd visit and still very good. Friendly and effective service. Food more than acceptable, with a variety of items all with a "Joe's" twist to them. Dailey specials unique, and a wide range of apps, entrees, and really good desserts. Looking for a casual place with friends or family (w kids) can't miss with Joe's. If we lived closer to G Burg we will most likely frequent more oftenSpecial Features:
- Delicious foodHLDVDined on 5/1/2014This is my second time eating outdoors. They provide overhead heating lamps if there is a chill in the air. Food is very good, fresh and presentable. Service very good. The sangria is especially nice!!!Special Features:
- Hard to imagine...NeighborhoodFansDined on 4/26/2014...how lucky the Kentlands residents are to have received NYAJ's! Between the incredible food and staff it is hard to compare this restaurant to anything else in the region. Rich and Sylvia are special stand-outs among the team that make every visit a special occasion. Thank you for consistently being TERRIFIC and exceeding our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placebmorepgfoodieVIPDined on 4/26/2014my friend and i came for lunch after working all morning. This place was a pleasant surprise. the manager greeted and seated us as soon as we walked in. there were so many options on the menu AND it was wine month, so we had to grab a bottle, of course. the food was awesome, service was the best i've had in quite a while and i'll definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutnightlyDined on 4/25/2014Great Food! Extremely good service! Great Menu! (Many wonderful different selections)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be a FavoriteDanielPVIPDined on 4/24/2014NYAJ used to be a favorite dining spot but within the last year and a half I have seen the place slide off our top spots to eat. The service has gotten horrible and the management are frequently standing in the kitchen texting or talking on their cell phones while we may have been sitting for over 20 mins with not so much as a glass of water or bread. I have also frequently showed up earlier than a reservation by maybe 15 mins and seen tons of empty tables and no one else waiting. I would expect to be seated right away rather than have to wait until the exact time of my reservation when the place is empty. It further makes me upset when people who just walk in with no reservation are seated right away meanwhile i'm still waiting.
- Fabulous Experienceluv2travelDined on 4/23/2014Pleasantly surprised by the flavorful French Onion Soup and the Not Your Average Salad. And the half-price bottle of wine. Three of us dined and all were extremely pleased with our food and the service.Special Features:
- Great spot in KentlandsECG78Dined on 4/20/2014Love Not Your Average Joe's. It has always been a great placce to go. Servers are friendly and attentive, and the food is great! So many wonderful choices.Special Features:
- Easter Dinner Was Just OKArcadia23Dined on 4/20/2014The food was OK and the service was attentive but maybe even a little over attentive but that could be attributed to the fact that the restaurant was as empty as I have ever seen it. My wife started with the French Onion soup which she says flavor wise it was "OK" but over said and very short on cheese which we all know makes the dish. I started with a Caesar Salad and it was not very memorable. My wife had the Crusted Goat Cheese Salad and she enjoyed it. I had the Meatloaf and although the flavor was good the portion wasn't. When you order meatloaf you expect a hardy portion and this was anything but hardy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Montgomery county. I am a regularSpecial Features:
- Great specials, great standing menuLindaBMDDined on 4/15/2014Not Your Average Joe's has something for everyone...gluten free diets, made-to-order dishes, something new on the menu every month, as well as a wonderful standing menu. My colleagues and I have found it to be a go-to destination for lunch!Special Features:
- Consistently GreatFoodLoverinMDDined on 4/14/2014We love NYAJ's. Happy, upbeat staff, great food, innovative menu. This time we tried the wine and dine special and it was great. Sort of a sampling menu, with a flight of wine. As the weather was nice we sat on the patio. Surprisingly wonderful atmosphere even though so close to the driveway. Overhead heaters made this early spring day very comfortable. The only draw back to the patio is that the service is a little slower due to the location and flow of things. That said, you can see the team effort to make sure folks are attended to. If you haven't been to NYAJ's, you are missing a treat, but we appreciate you making it easier for us to get a table!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.