39 Downing Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masfarmhouse.com/
- Phone: 2122551790
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Galen Zamarra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room at Mas (farmhouse) is set off the main dining room and can seat a maximum of 24 people. For additional privacy the private dining room can be closed so as to shield private dining guests from other customers.
- Private Party Contact: Adrienne Summa 2122551790
- Cross Street: Bedford Street and Varick Street
- Public Transit: The A, C, or E and B, D, F, and Q lines all stop at West 4th Street which is approximately three blocks from the restaurant. In addition, the 1 line stops at Houston Street and is one block from the restaurant.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: A private parking garage is located on Seventh Avenue South and Morton Street. The garage is a mere two blocks from the restaurant.
A word from Mas (farmhouse)
Elegant New-American cuisine using locally grown and sustainably raised foods cooked using modern French styles and honoring classic technique. The ever-changing menu is printed daily, tied with twine, and contains the finest ingredients sourced from small farmers and local fishermen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mas (farmhouse) reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)special occasion (119)romantic (93)neighborhood gem (71)notable wine list (55)hot spot (18)good for groups (16)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great staff. Great foodLuvgreatfoodDined on 6/18/2014We celebrated our thirty second anniversary And the staff made this night one to rememberSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceDiningDollDined on 6/18/2014We went there for dinner and the prix fixe menu was very reasonable. Staff was attentive and went out of their way to make sure we had a great experience. If you want to go on a culinary journey in a chic quiet spot this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, big priceMerklDined on 6/13/2014I'm a twenty-five year old man who makes a good amount of money for my age, so take this review with this consideration in mind. The food here is very good, but also quite expensive. For what I paid, about $210 (before tip) for an appetizer, entree, dessert and a cocktail for me and my date, the dinner was a good value. Did it blow me out of the water? No. I've had better dinners for less, or equal price. A nice place to try though, if you get the chance.Special Features:
- DivineDivineDined on 6/12/2014The restaurant was beyond my expectations. I had asked for a banquet and was escorted to the most lovely table in the adjacent room which I highly recommend. The waiters and service people were amazing. They quietly and unobtrucably clear your plate after each course and set out another set of silverware before each course is served. We were introduced to the tasting menu and asked about any allergies and likes and dislikes. Each course was leisurely served. We were never rushed through dinner and we truly dined. Great ambience. Casual yet in fine taste.Special Features:
- MadRobieVIPDined on 6/11/2014A great disappointment. The staff so attentive at first virtually ignored us as the restaurant filled. My entree was barely warm the soubert was tasteless. Not worth the money or another trip.
- Chef Galen and staff does it again!mgr504VIPDined on 6/11/2014We continue to come back to mas whenever we are in New York. Galen, Bear and the staff hit it out of the park every time! The food is insane and the service cannot be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TO DIE FOR and DIE INOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2014The food and presentation was just about as good as I have ever experienced in NYC, perhaps just a nose short of Bouley or Per Se. Service was solicitous, interactive and informative if also just a little fore-square and informal. (the superb food demanded a little more formality of service, IMHO). The visual ambience was more than acceptable... HOWEVER, the aural ambience was INSANELY loud. For a good 90 minutes, if we closed our eyes, we thought we were at a very exciting hockey play-off game in MSG. We couldn't stop laughing at the cognitive dissonance between this DIVINE food and the auditory mis-en-scene of TIMES SQUARE at its loudest. Will certainly go back but only off-hours.
- One of my top picks in NYKittykitchenVIPDined on 6/9/2014Absolutely love this restaurant. The food is spectacular, the ambiance intimate yet energetic. Extensive wine list. Quality on all levels. I've been going to Mas since it first opened, and I will never stop! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- FantasticJohnVIPDined on 6/9/2014Great service (although not as polished as some other restaurants I've been to), warm and friendly atmosphere. Oh, and GREAT food! Everyone was thoughtful and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fine Dining ExperienceBelmontBabeDined on 6/7/2014We had a great meal at Mas (farmhouse). The service was particularly good; I love how they always served us both at the same time or retired our plates at the same time. The food was very good. We'll return, no doubt!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014Everything was wonderful!! Nice to have the tasting menu where not the whole table has to have the 6 course menu. Also very nice to be able to pick from a la carte menu for the 4 course menu. Did the wine tasting and loved it. Definitely recommend this restaurant. Not inexpensive but well worth it for a special occasion!!Special Features:
- Still hungry!MikeVIPDined on 6/7/2014This is one place you should not come hungry! We had the tasting menu. Too little food for $250 plus tip. The staff was nice and that's why I tipped 20%. Once ordered the plates were very small and we felt trapped into a expensive dinner with very small portions. We will not return! We walked a few blocks and had pizza which was very good and not over priced!
- very enjoyable eveningBubbaVIPDined on 6/7/2014My wife and I had an early dinner as Mas. Service is just perfect. Food is very good with the 4 course dinner for $88 providing nice choices and very ample portions. Lovely place in the village to spend an evening. Not cheap, but nothing bad to say about the place.Special Features:
- Delicious fresh farm to table foodBelle654Dined on 6/5/2014Food was excellent. Very fresh and cooked perfectly. Long Island Duck was succulent and moist. Halibut had a nice crust and garlic sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousjschVIPDined on 6/5/2014you will not be dissapointed. everything delicious and done perfectly. a truly great dining experience.Special Features:
- this place is fabulousreichersDined on 6/4/2014Delicious food. Very flexible menu. Excellent service and really lovely setting and ambienceSpecial Features:
- OutstandingNYCBizTravelerVIPDined on 6/4/2014Outstanding food. Fantastic service. Fine dining with a west village atmosphere. Really loved it. The tasting menu for two people with a cocktail each, after a 20% tip came out to $266. Definitely not cheap, so if you prefer to spend less on dinner, then definitely consider this place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service, Delicious MealOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/2/2014We had the flash-seared tuna, beef tartare, octopus, and the duck. The tuna was amazing and perfectly done - nice light flavors so it didn't compete with the tuna flavor. The beef tartare was also very good. I've been on an Octopus kick lately, and this octopus was done just right. The duck was not like any duck dish we've had before - absolutely out of this world!Special Features:
- BeautifulLDuganVIPDined on 6/1/2014Farm to table feel...so fresh and interesting. Bar tender made a special drink for me that was most refreshing. Staff very professional. Cute, small, and very intimate.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/1/2014We had the 6 course with wine pairing and loved every single moment of the evening. The staff at Mas couldn't have been more accommodating, knowledgeable and fun to spend the evening with. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2014From start to finish, mas Farmhouse was a memorable evening. The food was incredible, the octopus sublime, and the duck left me speechless. Thank you also to our server for recommending a great bottle of wine and for his fresh energy.Special Features:
- One of the bestFoodhunterVIPDined on 5/30/2014Mas farmhouse is one of the most underestimated restaurants by Michelin guide. It's really a very special place in NY that makes the experience of dining unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in Charming SettingNyerVIPDined on 5/30/2014What a lovely gem this restaurant is. Wonderfully warm service, a creative wine list and the most interesting way of dealing with a menu in NYC. They suggest a three course meal but then you can substitute anything else from the ala carte menu. And what a menu it is. Always what is the freshest from the market in a creative but warm style.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014This restaurant was fabulous in every way! Interesting menu, great good, nice waiters, nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!MGCNYCDined on 5/28/2014Been several times and always perfect. The menu reads like a book of poetry and the results of your decisions do not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay.JennDined on 5/27/2014I wanted a tasting menu, but didn't want to spend $300/person. Having just moved from Baltimore, we had a spot that I was trying to compare to (Charleston in Baltimore). This didn't quite live up to that comparison, but it was okay nonetheless. Service was a little slow (on a Tuesday night). Wine prices were insanely high (~$27/glass). None of the food blew us away, but it wasn't bad. Just average.Special Features:
- OutstandingdeliciousDined on 5/27/2014My husband and I came here for our anniversary. The setting is very romantic; seats are very comfortable. the service was exceptional. The manager and waitress and others were extremely courteous. The food was outstanding. One of the best dishes i've tasted!Special Features:
- Loved Mas.LambentDined on 5/27/2014It was a close friend's birthday who is a trained chef. They wouldn't have to have done anything different for him, since Mas has been a favorite for chefs for as long as it's been open. But they did anyways. Everything we ate was seasonal, exquisite, and perfectly presented. There were no mistakes, which is becoming less common in NYC where there's been a trend toward model, not even actor, waitstaff at even the most expensive establishments. They gave us time to enjoy what they gave us to eat, and the perfect setting to do it. Other guests seemed to be a mix of quietly rich or sophisticated people who were also enjoying themselves. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Not impressed, poor value for moneyfoodiesfromoverseasDined on 5/25/2014We were expecting something outstanding, we were deluded. We had a 3 course menu + dessert for 88 USD. The wine pairing costed us a lot more than the menu. We had agreed on half a glass of wine to each course, but we were given a full, generous glass, and ended up drinking too much and spending a lot. Not really fair! About the food: we started very well with the yellowfin tuna (signature dish), a good soup with scallop and the skate. We did not like the "crispy octopus with chorizo sauce", and it got worse with the second entree: pork meatball and duck: these had no special twist to them, nothing special at all. Same for the desserts. Overall, we enjoyed only half of the menu, and spent 200 USD each. Not impressed, not worth it.
- Simply Spectacularern3365Dined on 5/25/2014First time on a first date. Perfect restaurant, perfect ambiance, amazing food, amazing service.Special Features:
- Very disappointingFoodLionDined on 5/24/2014Everything about Mas was very good except the food. The staff was warm, professional and attentive. The room was attractive and pleasant. The prices were initially fair for expectations.But the food and it's preparation was not good. Several dishes (Tuna and Pork Crepinetts) recalled a culinary experiment gone awry.
- wabbitVIPDined on 5/24/2014excellent food ,outstanding service. Little cramped could use bigger quarters.Special Features:
- AwesomePBNYDined on 5/23/2014Good food, staffs & service. Very romantic place for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JtheGourmetVIPDined on 5/22/2014Food is good, not great. Something is missing. However, the wine list is filled with very interesting hard or impossible to find small producers and it might be worth a few visits just for that.
- Couldn't be better!droroDined on 5/21/2014This was my second time at Mas (farmhouse) and it was absolutely amazing. I have an onion intolerance and find it really difficult to eat out well because of it. Mas is so accommodating! My husband and I did the 4-course price fixed menu and I was able to order anything I wanted! They modified all of the dishes to meet my needs, and it was seriously the best meal I've had in so long! Notable dishes: yellowfin tuna l'occidental (might be one of the best things I've ever eaten), roasted duck with fava mint puree, and the roasted skate with pecan foam! Even the amuse-bouche of lamb bacon with violet mustard on a cucumber was delicious! Also: order gin and tonics! They make their tonic in-house and it's infused with lime -- so good! Go here!!Special Features:
- Delicious FoodoisterDined on 5/20/2014This place is amazing. The food, the service, the whole atmosphere is exquisite. I love how they accommodate any food item or choice that you find on the menu and fit that into the meal courses that you choose. Would definitely come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mitsuVIPDined on 5/16/2014The floor squeeks when people tread on them. Nevertheless, it was a wonderful culinary experience. food were prepared very well.Special Features:
- Would go backMKPASADined on 5/14/2014The dinner got the details right. From the house-cured lamb bacon to the attentive service, everything about the meal was enjoyable.Special Features:
- great dining optionsopentableJPDined on 5/11/2014My wife and I though the flexible Prix fixe menu was great. You can order any 3 items and the kitchen will take care of the portions to make a Prix fixe meal. As a diner, it's nice not to be constrained by a typical Prix fixe menu. Food was excellent which is obviously the most important item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatatayVIPDined on 5/9/2014as usual it was a great experience. Great food, amazing wine and spectacular service!Special Features: