39 Downing Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masfarmhouse.com/
- Phone: 2122551790
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Galen Zamarra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room at Mas (farmhouse) is set off the main dining room and can seat a maximum of 24 people. For additional privacy the private dining room can be closed so as to shield private dining guests from other customers.
- Private Party Contact: Adrienne Summa 2122551790
- Cross Street: Bedford Street and Varick Street
- Public Transit: The A, C, or E and B, D, F, and Q lines all stop at West 4th Street which is approximately three blocks from the restaurant. In addition, the 1 line stops at Houston Street and is one block from the restaurant.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: A private parking garage is located on Seventh Avenue South and Morton Street. The garage is a mere two blocks from the restaurant.
A word from Mas (farmhouse)
Elegant New-American cuisine using locally grown and sustainably raised foods cooked using modern French styles and honoring classic technique. The ever-changing menu is printed daily, tied with twine, and contains the finest ingredients sourced from small farmers and local fishermen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mas (farmhouse) reviews from OpenTable diners
189 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (143)special occasion (134)romantic (111)neighborhood gem (78)notable wine list (63)good for groups (21)hot spot (14)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- One of the bestFoodhunterVIPDined on 5/30/2014Mas farmhouse is one of the most underestimated restaurants by Michelin guide. It's really a very special place in NY that makes the experience of dining unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in Charming SettingNyerVIPDined on 5/30/2014What a lovely gem this restaurant is. Wonderfully warm service, a creative wine list and the most interesting way of dealing with a menu in NYC. They suggest a three course meal but then you can substitute anything else from the ala carte menu. And what a menu it is. Always what is the freshest from the market in a creative but warm style.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014This restaurant was fabulous in every way! Interesting menu, great good, nice waiters, nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!MGCNYCDined on 5/28/2014Been several times and always perfect. The menu reads like a book of poetry and the results of your decisions do not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay.JennDined on 5/27/2014I wanted a tasting menu, but didn't want to spend $300/person. Having just moved from Baltimore, we had a spot that I was trying to compare to (Charleston in Baltimore). This didn't quite live up to that comparison, but it was okay nonetheless. Service was a little slow (on a Tuesday night). Wine prices were insanely high (~$27/glass). None of the food blew us away, but it wasn't bad. Just average.Special Features:
- OutstandingdeliciousDined on 5/27/2014My husband and I came here for our anniversary. The setting is very romantic; seats are very comfortable. the service was exceptional. The manager and waitress and others were extremely courteous. The food was outstanding. One of the best dishes i've tasted!Special Features:
- Loved Mas.LambentDined on 5/27/2014It was a close friend's birthday who is a trained chef. They wouldn't have to have done anything different for him, since Mas has been a favorite for chefs for as long as it's been open. But they did anyways. Everything we ate was seasonal, exquisite, and perfectly presented. There were no mistakes, which is becoming less common in NYC where there's been a trend toward model, not even actor, waitstaff at even the most expensive establishments. They gave us time to enjoy what they gave us to eat, and the perfect setting to do it. Other guests seemed to be a mix of quietly rich or sophisticated people who were also enjoying themselves. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The following 522 reviews are from the Mas (farmhouse) reviews archive.
- Not impressed, poor value for moneyfoodiesfromoverseasDined on 5/25/2014We were expecting something outstanding, we were deluded. We had a 3 course menu + dessert for 88 USD. The wine pairing costed us a lot more than the menu. We had agreed on half a glass of wine to each course, but we were given a full, generous glass, and ended up drinking too much and spending a lot. Not really fair! About the food: we started very well with the yellowfin tuna (signature dish), a good soup with scallop and the skate. We did not like the "crispy octopus with chorizo sauce", and it got worse with the second entree: pork meatball and duck: these had no special twist to them, nothing special at all. Same for the desserts. Overall, we enjoyed only half of the menu, and spent 200 USD each. Not impressed, not worth it.
- Simply Spectacularern3365Dined on 5/25/2014First time on a first date. Perfect restaurant, perfect ambiance, amazing food, amazing service.Special Features:
- Very disappointingFoodLionDined on 5/24/2014Everything about Mas was very good except the food. The staff was warm, professional and attentive. The room was attractive and pleasant. The prices were initially fair for expectations.But the food and it's preparation was not good. Several dishes (Tuna and Pork Crepinetts) recalled a culinary experiment gone awry.
- wabbitVIPDined on 5/24/2014excellent food ,outstanding service. Little cramped could use bigger quarters.Special Features:
- AwesomePBNYDined on 5/23/2014Good food, staffs & service. Very romantic place for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JtheGourmetVIPDined on 5/22/2014Food is good, not great. Something is missing. However, the wine list is filled with very interesting hard or impossible to find small producers and it might be worth a few visits just for that.
- Couldn't be better!droroDined on 5/21/2014This was my second time at Mas (farmhouse) and it was absolutely amazing. I have an onion intolerance and find it really difficult to eat out well because of it. Mas is so accommodating! My husband and I did the 4-course price fixed menu and I was able to order anything I wanted! They modified all of the dishes to meet my needs, and it was seriously the best meal I've had in so long! Notable dishes: yellowfin tuna l'occidental (might be one of the best things I've ever eaten), roasted duck with fava mint puree, and the roasted skate with pecan foam! Even the amuse-bouche of lamb bacon with violet mustard on a cucumber was delicious! Also: order gin and tonics! They make their tonic in-house and it's infused with lime -- so good! Go here!!Special Features:
- Delicious FoodoisterDined on 5/20/2014This place is amazing. The food, the service, the whole atmosphere is exquisite. I love how they accommodate any food item or choice that you find on the menu and fit that into the meal courses that you choose. Would definitely come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mitsuVIPDined on 5/16/2014The floor squeeks when people tread on them. Nevertheless, it was a wonderful culinary experience. food were prepared very well.Special Features:
- Would go backMKPASADined on 5/14/2014The dinner got the details right. From the house-cured lamb bacon to the attentive service, everything about the meal was enjoyable.Special Features:
- great dining optionsopentableJPDined on 5/11/2014My wife and I though the flexible Prix fixe menu was great. You can order any 3 items and the kitchen will take care of the portions to make a Prix fixe meal. As a diner, it's nice not to be constrained by a typical Prix fixe menu. Food was excellent which is obviously the most important item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatatayVIPDined on 5/9/2014as usual it was a great experience. Great food, amazing wine and spectacular service!Special Features:
- SpectacularFoodie2VIPDined on 5/4/2014From the moment we arrived until we left...Mas (farmhouse) was spectacular. A place for foodies...and anyone that will let the chef create six courses of loveliness for 115$. What a deal! Absolutely one of the most enjoyable meals I've had in the last year! Will definitely go back. The craft cocktails are a treat as well.Special Features:
- Lovely - quiet but just rightlouiseVIPDined on 5/4/2014We had one of the best early dinners I can remember in a long time. The decor is intelligent, with repurposed wood, and nice touches that are understated. Wonderful fish, salads, easy to love appetizers. Read the menu, and you will find just what you've been longing to have. A standout, but so modest! Terrific understated service. We'd go back in a heartbeat if we lived in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HomerunSayWordMelVIPDined on 5/3/2014Best experience with American cuisine via OpenTable thus far.Special Features:
- TravelingwomanVIPDined on 5/3/2014The food was not nearly up to the level its been touted as. We were disappointed (although service was outstanding).Special Features:
- Great experienceRafaelDined on 5/1/2014We had dinner here 4 of us Food was lovely ambiance a little heavy service was great 6 course meal will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sophisticated and yet local eatingkaroDined on 4/30/2014Very nice place, tasty food, interesting blends , beautiful decor and VERY attentive service.Special Features:
- Great food but too noisyfoodlover53Dined on 4/26/2014I found the food excellent and the service very good. This place was billed as romantic and I did not find it to be so. It's small and the tables are very close together and you can hear other people's conversations easily. Also, it was quite noisy. The food was excellent, however, and I found the portions big enough. Overall it was an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingRoadkingVIPDined on 4/20/2014Specialty cocktails a must. Food and service was outstanding. Our second experience and was as good as first. Overall an outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014The menu was very different and had many items I have not seen in other restaurants. Very innovative and everyone's food was well prepared. The staff is very helpful. I look forward to going back as the menu constantly changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been Here TwiceNYRABVIPDined on 4/17/2014Mas is the place to go if you want an outstanding tasting menu experience without the stuffiness of Daniel or Bouley. The waiters are personable, attentive, and will adjust the menu to your preferences. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Consistently good foodCPwiseVIPDined on 4/11/2014It is our third time in MAS, and we like very much the food, is very innovative, I asked for the suclkling pig and was really amazing, I have tasted it in many top restaurants and it has been one of the best, definetely we' ll be back!Special Features:
- Outstanding!03ptxDined on 4/9/2014Food was terrific. Each course had multiple flavored that were very distinctive. The service was impeccable. We had a party of 8 and 4 servers delivered l our meals at one time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visit to MasRobGVIPDined on 4/5/2014In one word the entire dining experience was "outstanding"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wasnt impressed I barelyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014I wasnt impressed I barely could eat my octopus dish.
- I loved the celery root soup.MorningDined on 4/2/2014I loved the celery root soup. It was light and airy. I cannot wait to try this again. I gave for me a large tip as I was so impressed by the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant diningVenice40Dined on 4/1/2014My only cavil with the restaurant was the almost ridiculously small entree portion. My dish was delicious but looked foolish on the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is as good as it getsStar08VIPDined on 3/29/2014This is as good as it gets - fit for kings and queens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special restaurantluv2sailDined on 3/29/2014We went to Mas for a very special occasion. I knew it was an expensive outing and, therefore, was not surprised at the prices. The bartender made some delicious drinks prior to out seating. The hostess knew it was a special occasion and let me choose one of two available tables. They were very accommodating and were focused for excellence in customer service. The food was good, but didn't knock me off my feet. The tuna appetizer was a nice portion and very tasty, but had a bit too much balsamic for my taste. The octopus was great, albeit a bit small portioned. The duck was very tasty. The two desserts we ordered were excellent. The wine list was fairly extensive. However, it was hard to find a reasonably bottle under $100.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, lovely restaurantClarissaVIPDined on 3/29/2014We had a wonderful time at this gem of a restaurant. The food was fantastic. The service excellent. One of the prettiest restaurants ever. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Surpassed ExpectationfoodfirstDined on 3/28/2014We dined at the Mas Farmhouse on Friday evening choosing the six course chef's menu and am so glad we did. The waiter asked if there were anything we each particularly didn't like, then proceeded to deliver course after course of delicious plates - five of the six that I would rate as superb. I left the wine selection to the sommelier, he rightfully asked us both about our wine tastes, but then delivered the perfect wine at you'll never guess - a reasonable price. Surpassed expectation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is one of the few veryMasMoreandNoOinkVIPDined on 3/28/2014This is one of the few very nice restaurants where the answer is always yes, we would be happy to make that substitution for you. A real charmer. Excellent food, great ambience.Special Features: