39 Downing Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.masfarmhouse.com/
- Phone: 2122551790
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Galen Zamarra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room at Mas (farmhouse) is set off the main dining room and can seat a maximum of 24 people. For additional privacy the private dining room can be closed so as to shield private dining guests from other customers.
- Private Party Contact: Adrienne Summa 2122551790
- Cross Street: Bedford Street and Varick Street
- Public Transit: The A, C, or E and B, D, F, and Q lines all stop at West 4th Street which is approximately three blocks from the restaurant. In addition, the 1 line stops at Houston Street and is one block from the restaurant.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: A private parking garage is located on Seventh Avenue South and Morton Street. The garage is a mere two blocks from the restaurant.
A word from Mas (farmhouse)
Elegant New-American cuisine using locally grown and sustainably raised foods cooked using modern French styles and honoring classic technique. The ever-changing menu is printed daily, tied with twine, and contains the finest ingredients sourced from small farmers and local fishermen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mas (farmhouse) reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (133)special occasion (120)romantic (99)neighborhood gem (72)notable wine list (57)good for groups (16)hot spot (16)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A must go. Intimate feel withOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/8/2012A must go. Intimate feel with top notch service, inventive food and creative drinks/wine.Special Features:
- Please don't jam customers inOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2012the 4 course tasting menu was very well balanced and efficiently delivered to the table. However a great dining experience isn't solely around the food and unfortunately laying out tables 4-6 inches apart doesn't do much for the ambience of what was supposed to be a romantic evening. almost felt like walking straight out when we saw the row of 6 tables for 2 jammed against the wall - real disappointment.
- Went on a Saturday night withOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/7/2012Went on a Saturday night with a friend from out of town and we both loved it. We went with the 4 course menu and each of the courses was amazing, fresh, perfectly prepared, delicious. Service was excellent - the right balance of information and attention without being annoying. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- I had high expectations afterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/7/2012I had high expectations after going to Mas grillade and unfortunately it did not compare. The experience at Mas grillade was much much better. The wait staff was pretenscious and made you feel uncomfortable. The food was average at best. The nice thing was that there was flexibility in the four course tasting menu. I can't say that any item I ate was memorable.Special Features:
- I went with a friend and thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2012I went with a friend and thought it was too "romantic." Definitely best suited for a date or special occasion. Food was excellent though.Special Features:
- we selected MAS for our 2ndOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2012we selected MAS for our 2nd anniversary and it is always great.Special Features:
- My wife and I enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2012My wife and I enjoyed our meal very much. The service was professional, friendly and accommodating. The food was excellent with nice presentation and a creative flair. The atmosphere was inviting with a "smart casual" tone (understated Indie rock on the audio system, attentive and friendly wait staff). The space itself struck the farmhouse chord that they are aiming for. My only negative comment is I left ready to eat more.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and coctails.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2012Fantastic food and coctails. Excellent service. This place is now one of our all time favorites.Special Features:
- The menu was innovative andEatURHeartOUTVIPDined on 7/1/2012The menu was innovative and interesting. The food was delicious. The wait staff were friendly, but so very slow. Waited over 45 minutes for our appetizers, even longer for entrees. What made it worse was the anemic air conditioning that was provided to the diners. Not one of our party was not sweating by the end of the meal.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceCuquetVIPDined on 7/1/2012Food was excellent. But the service was even better. The waiter and other staff paid attention to all the details to make sure everyone had a good time.Special Features:
- *Really* amazing food. They'llOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/30/2012*Really* amazing food. They'll let you assemble your own three or six course tasting menu from the rest of the menu, and everything is lovely. I had sort of a decomposed salad of quail eggs, green beans, and summer snap peas, which was amazingly good and fresh, and then a great tuna dish, and really yummy chicken. Highly highly recommend.Special Features:
- One of the most delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/29/2012One of the most delightful dining experiences I've had in a while...farm to table concept actually works with very attentive but not overbearing service. The tuna appetizer was divine as was the pea soup. The duck dish I had was properly cooked and well seasoned. Overall, I am extremely impressedSpecial Features:
- From the amuse through dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2012From the amuse through dessert the tasting menu was a delicious dining experience. Wonderful wine pairings served by a knowledgeable and efficient staff made for a great evening.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2012First time here, and it was great. Get your reservation for the front room, not the back as the back doesn't have very much character.Special Features:
- Extraordinarily good chef.RetiredGuyVIPDined on 6/21/2012Extraordinarily good chef. One of the best restaurants I've visited in NYC.Special Features:
- Very noisy and small - albeitOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/16/2012Very noisy and small - albeit delicious - portions.
- DiappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/15/2012Mas did not live up to my expectations which were based on past experience.The appetizer was excellent. The main course, however, was bland.The restaurant used to possess a quiet dignity. This time it was noisy, with groups of people seemingly unaware that the restaurant is not their private dining room.
- The decor of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2012The decor of the restaurant is warm and very inviting. We sat in the back room which was intimate and quiet allowing for an intimate conversation. The service was impeccable, friendly without being intrusive. It was my second time at the restaurant and my dining companion's first and we both found the food to be incredible. We will DEFINITELY be back.Special Features:
- The food, both taste and presentatiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2012The food, both taste and presentation were beyond our expectations! The wine, our waitress helped to select, was exquisite! It was truly a memorable feast!Special Features:
- I had my 60th there last night.micheleVIPDined on 6/11/2012I had my 60th there last night. The wait staff was warm and attentive. The food was incredible. The whole experienc could not have been betterSpecial Features:
- Did the tasting menu. EverythingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2012Did the tasting menu. Everything was good with 2 exceptions. The goat cheese ravioli was swimming in beet juice, which kind of overwhelmed the dish. The rack of lamb had the most fat on it I have ever seen in this dish. By the time I cut that away, not much left to eat. The drink (vodka grapefruit martini) was perfect. The lobster salad and tuna apps were the best part of the meal. The waiter was not very attentive, but polite. He never checked if we liked any of the food, other than once, right after the appetizers. Overall, good, but not worth the money, in my opinion.
- Food and service were wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/9/2012Food and service were wonderful. Unfortunately, the tables are so close together, it's very difficult to have a private conversation, or to tune out the conversations of neighboring tables. It actually put a real damper on the overall experience.Special Features:
- Our experience at Mas waskatha1VIPDined on 6/9/2012Our experience at Mas was nice, but didn't exactly compare to the rave reviews that we'd heard from other people. The overall ambiance was nice, the food was tasty and the service was attentive. There were a few cons though - first, the "grade pending" sign in the window didn't exactly inspire confidence for such a high-end restaurant. Then, we felt pressured by the waiter to order a much more expensive bottle of wine than what we'd selected. "No" didn't seem to be an option which we didn't really appreciate. Then, my card was charged for a full amount even though I brought (and gave) them a gift-card. Not a big deal as it was easily remedied, but this certainly wasn't the care-free, luxury dining experience that I was expecting it to be.Special Features:
- absolutely marvelous. AnOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/8/2012absolutely marvelous. An evening to remember. The food was only matched by the attentive and knowledgeable staff. In short, we were very impressed and will be returning very soon.Special Features:
- Sublime dining experience.Buck2000Dined on 6/5/2012Sublime dining experience. Exquisite food and service.Special Features:
- Unobtrusive place on quietVillageDinerVIPDined on 6/3/2012Unobtrusive place on quiet West Village street features provencal-inflected dishes with emphasis on seafood. Limited but interesting menu. Food was good to excellent. Duck and halibut main courses both worth trying. Portions are modest. Staff is friendly and engaging although service is less than professional (glasses go unfilled, bread plates left empty). Wine list is very eclectic and interesting but very much overpriced. Atmosphere is comfortable, with attractive decor, soft lighting (a little too dim), and background hum that permits easy conversation. All told we preferred the food at mas (la grillade), their sister restaurant, but preferred the atmosphere at mas (farmhouse). Both are worth trying.
- Worth the trip to the West Village!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2012At Mas (farmhouse) The food was 'super' - bread 'out of this world'. Great dining experience. Only negative was that the 'tables for two' along the wall were too close together making conversation difficult.Special Features:
- wine and food just ok 2 serversOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012wine and food just ok 2 servers coming at once was nice decor/ambiance/noise level greatSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/1/2012Excellent food and atmosphere. Portion size rather small.Special Features:
- Only worth it for special occasionsNYCDinerVIPDined on 5/27/2012This is a couples spot for that special occasion. The food is creative, yet good - but not the best in NYC by any means. Atmosphere is serene, the service well timed. Menu changes frequently, but have the tuna tartare appetizer (it's large and has amazing taste), avoid the chicken for a main course; in season have soft shell crabs. Desserts were just ok (and very expensive). Do not have the carrot cake or the sour cherries, but if you must have the hazelnut chocolate dessert. One note, since Open Table only has the non-choice reservation times available (6pm or after 9pm), we took the later res. We were the last to leave the restaurant and as we left and were thanking the staff they said, "GET OUT!" which was so tacky after spending $500
- Excellent food -- interesting,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/27/2012Excellent food -- interesting, well-prepared, fresh ingredients. Very good service. Very pleasant anniversary dinner. Only, slight, downside is that the tables are very close to each other.Special Features:
- Quaint, yet elegant ...veryMamaBoDined on 5/26/2012Quaint, yet elegant ...very romantic. I am still thinking about the food...had the tuna app unbelievable, and halibut for dinner. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Mas Farmhouse is always satisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 5/26/2012Mas Farmhouse is always satisfying - food, service, & ambience. A dependable pleasure.Special Features:
- First time at this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/25/2012First time at this restaurant. The service and ambience were great but the food wasn't anything special. They definitely try hard here but I wouldn't rush back. I ordered a salad that was great but very skimpy. For $17, you would think they could give you more than a few pieces of lettuce. That aside - I felt like everything was very salty and somewhat tasteless. Dessert was ok - nothing special. One thing that bothered us was that they were spraying windex in the restaurant while we were still eating. It definitely put a bad taste in my mouth. Cute spot though - and the bar area seemed like a nice place to meet for a drink.Special Features:
- Too pricey for the food -OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/25/2012Too pricey for the food - much better alternatives in the city
- This is my absolute favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/25/2012This is my absolute favorite restaurant in the city. The food is second to none, but unburdened by a stuffy atmosphere or uptight chef/waitstaff. The vibe is more relaxed than most restaurants of its caliber and the service is attentive and friendly. They make a point of noting--again, in contrast to too many restaurants these days--that they are more than happy to alter the menu items to meet food likes/dislikes. My only complaint is that it is so hard to get a reservation these days!Special Features:
- We were actually a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/25/2012We were actually a little disappointed bc our expectations were very high. It is a very good restaurant, but i would not put it in the same category as nyc's top.
- Had higher expectations afterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/24/2012Had higher expectations after reading other reviews. Difficult to have a conversation due to noise level. Took 10-15 minutes to be acknowledged by wait staff. Food was pretty good - not spectacular. Nice idea/marketing(farm to table etc) and feel of the restaurant was nice. They might have been off that night, but they just didn't deliver.
- Everything about this restaurantSub52VIPDined on 5/22/2012Everything about this restaurant was excellent. The ambiance is very romantic, the food spectacular, and the service impeccable!! I would highly recommend Mas Farmhouse!Special Features:
- Food was amazing but noiseFoodieVIPDined on 5/21/2012Food was amazing but noise level was a little high. Cannot wait to return!Special Features: