Max's Restaurant & Bar of Burlingame
1250 Old Bayshore Highway
Burlingame, CA 94010Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Max's Restaurant & Bar of Burlingame
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxsworld.com/
- Phone: 6503426297
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sa-Su 9:00am-2:00pm
Lunch: Daily 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Daily 4:00pm-Closing
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Juan Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that can seat up to 40 people comforatbly
- Private Party Contact: Hung Tran 6503426297
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment every evening from Sunday - Thursday 6pm - 10pm and Friday and Saturday 7pm - 11pm.
A word from Max's Restaurant & Bar of Burlingame
For over 25 years, Max"s has served America's favorite foods with an upscale style at affordable prices. Boasting "everything you've always wanted to eat, "only at Max's will you find a corned beef reuben, chinese chicken salad, ribeye steak, BBQ ribs and portabello mushroom pasta all on the one table. And for those with a sweet tooth, Max's sinful, awarding desserts will keep you coming back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Max's Restaurant & Bar of Burlingame - Best Restaurants in Burlingame ›
Max's Restaurant & Bar of Burlingame reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (32)kid-friendly (30)good for groups (27)great for brunch (23)neighborhood gem (17)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (10)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (2)Show More
- Not the sameOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014I have been a fan of this location for many years.....but no longer. The service was terribly slow and it was not busy. The lunch was just ok and the dessert tasted like it had been in a freezer or refrigerator and absorbed other flavors. This lunch was nothing like the flavors of Max's from the past. I ordered a hot turkey sandwich which I have always ordered and god not receive fresh turkey - it was turkey lunch meat warned up.
- Always DeliciousDateNightVIPDined on 3/6/2014Max's of Burlingame is always a delicious treat for dinner. The live music enhances the experience!Special Features:
- Simply GOOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/6/2014Not a negative word to be said, excellent food, atmosphere and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to Max's in BurlingameLonnieDined on 3/2/2014We have been to Max's in Burlingame many times - but we found that the quality of food has deteriorated. I ordered the Texas Beef (brisket) and was so disappointed. Where I remembered it to be juicy - this time it was so dry - it was hard to swallow. Another member ordered the mushroom pasta and complained that it was so dry. She gave me a taste and she was right - it was very dry. There were six people in my party - the rest all ordered different sandwiches. They said it was alright - but nothing to write home about. I do so remember how we enjoyed coming to Max's - but I'm afraid not this time.
- Great Reubens....LarryDined on 3/2/2014We had a decent experience, and would like to let you know that the menu has been updated. Check it out, the old favorites are still there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live music delightsDateNightVIPDined on 2/26/2014At Max's of Burlingame, a delicious dinner is accompanied by lovely live piano music and singing. This live entertainment adds to the tasty and varied menu that never disappoints.Special Features:
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/24/2014We eat her often and love the food, not to mention the desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The price is goodLeungVIPDined on 2/18/2014This is not a romantic restaurant but you can still enjoy at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to beSSPaVIPDined on 2/17/2014Don't know when they sold the chain, but find the food not as good...Period!!!
- Burnt ToastFoodywithwineVIPDined on 2/16/2014I thnk this is the frst time I've written a bad review on Open Table. Most places have been great. It may be we got there right when they opened on a Sunday. We had to ask for coffee refills, the toast was burnt on one piece and the second piece hardly toasted. It could be just an off morning.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014We sat in the bar area and were able to enjoy the piano player / singer while we enjoyed our meal. The music was not overly loud so we could hear each other talk. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Eats & ReasonablePescadoraDined on 2/14/2014The food was ok, for a last minute place to go where every thing else is booked we were able to get in on Valentines Day at 600pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can be better...YummyDined on 1/24/2014The food, service, drink even location all are good & convenient. They even have a pianist there every night. it would provide a better dinning experience if internal of restaurant can have a 'face lift'. :)))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly sub parRussatMaxsDined on 1/18/2014I don't typically complain about restaurants or the food. This will be a rare exception. I have been to Max's many times and the food is usually above average. This night however it was far below. I order the chicken matzo ball soup and it was luke warm. I ordered a corn beef sandwich on an onion roll and was shocked that the roll was very stale and the corn beef was fatty. I didn't send it back because I was with a group an the timing would have been off if I had. So all in all it was not a good experience. I have heard that the management has changed and there were clues, like the removal of all the letters from locals that used to hang in the wall. I hope that new management does not let the quality suffer.Special Features:
- Max's for SFO Stopovernapadiner2VIPDined on 1/11/2014Generous portions, well prepared, fresh ingredients, excellent service, great place for a hearty meal and beverages on the way or from SFO. Friendly bar with sports tv.Special Features:
- Good food and good valueVioletaDined on 12/31/2013For the price, the three of us received "value meals" since the portions were quite a bit. In fact, my 17-year-old son and I had to take home practically half of what we ordered since we were just too full. Nice live music which was not too loud to interfere with our conversation and the Burlingame restaurant has free, convenient parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedJobudDined on 12/31/2013This was one of my favorite places for casual dining. Frequently took friends for lunch and dinner. Maybe it was a bad chef day but the food was so disappointing. French fries soggy, bread stale, menu stated extra sauce served on side, (nope) that I doubt that I will be returning anytime soon. On the other hand, service was wonderful, location is so handy that it is so hard to think of not returning but this was definitely NOT the Max that I enjoyed so often in the past.Special Features:
- Signature Pastrami SandwichDinDin4meVIPDined on 12/28/2013I was disappointed with Max's sig sandwich. The bread was somewhat stale and the meat was so so. However, service was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place to bemaxwellDined on 12/24/2013The food and service was great. Attentive, friendly waitress Brook waited on our party of 2 on Xmas Eve day. Parking was plentiful.Special Features:
- Late Night Dinner at Max'sAmyFDined on 12/8/2013Been here many times and it never lets me down. Especially enjoyed the special Chanukah menu that included potato Latke's prepared a dozen different ways - what a treat! Only disappointment was the fact that Max's Chardonnay is no longer the house Chardonnay. Clos Du Bois is a very acceptable substitute but probably more expensive, don't remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not greatChitoDined on 12/8/2013There seemed to have a question as to who would be serving us. There was some wait initially as they decided who our server was going to be. Once assigned, the pace of service was ok.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceSandraPDined on 12/7/2013Enjoyed a Saturday night dinner with family, service excellent and food great!Special Features:
- Breakfast at Max'shappycustVIPDined on 12/7/2013Food was just OK, as was service. Décor et al needs updating. But it was a great place to meet friends on the way to the airport---very convenient.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Musical DiningDateNightVIPDined on 11/26/2013Max's always delivers great food from their highly varied menu, plus it is enhanced by the live music!Special Features:
- A good place to meet friendsMariVIPDined on 11/26/2013Max's is always a good place to meet friends and family. The menu has something for everyone; the wait staff is friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Place to Go Near SFOTomBVIPDined on 11/21/2013I always go to Max’s when I stay in the near SFO. Dan provided me good suggestions for selecting a beer and gave me two samples to aid me in making a decision. He provided friendly, attentive service to me and other diners around me. The salmon entrée was well prepared, served on a bed of quinoa pilaf and perfectly cooked vegetables. The Niagara cake was a great ending to enjoyable meal after a day of traveling. If you are staying at a hotel south of SFO, go to Max’s. You will get a great meal, and you will not leave hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ThrillBaileyDined on 11/16/2013I ordered a Cobb Salad. It came with a vinegarette dressing. Hmmmmm, I've never had that before, but it just didn't work for me, so I requested some ranch dressing as well, and that helped, but I wasn't thrilled with it. Yes, I know, it was just a cobb salad. The rest of my party seemed to enjoy their sandwiches, so, it's all good in the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific service and good foodJef2Dined on 11/14/2013Max's serves great sandwiches and salads, with top quality ingredients. I'm glad they offer different sized portions because they give you very generous servings. Our server, Renee, is the best! She anticipates what you want, and makes sure you have it, and if you want something special she says "no problem!" I had the patty melt, but traded lout the fries for a salad. Everyone in our party of four enjoyed our meals.Special Features:
- Max'sRonniDined on 11/10/2013There was a guy playing the piano...that was neat. Took 5 minutes to be given waters, another 5 minutes and we had delicious rolls with butter, but we never met our server for another 10 minutes (20 total.) staff was very nice. My boyfriend had the top sirloin and it was cooked perfectly and was tasty. I had the jambalaya fettuccini and it was amazing. The only complaint is the seating is very close in some sections. And my boyfriend had to refill our own water twice (we were right next to the server kiosk area) because our server was MIA. But the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Singing while eating a treatVioletaDined on 11/7/2013We have been coming to Max's at Burlingame for many years and still enjoy their food, esp. their warm raisin and dinner rolls and the myriad flavors of mustard. The music/singing that accompanies enhances our dining experience. Only negative comment is how their menu is so much shorter now--basically, back and front of a menu sheet as compared to previous pages and choices of food. We also miss the salmon burger and wish Max's would bring back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's has great food!pfdinnerVIPDined on 8/31/2013I love going to Max's, it has a huge menu with a great selection, and their desserts are so good. I love their burgers and sandwiches and sometimes get a craving for their pastrami.Special Features:
- There is something for everyone,mizzlizzVIPDined on 8/31/2013There is something for everyone, even vegetarians. Desserts follow the same large portion size as our group of 5 shared one! Would go back!Special Features:
- Friend took me for lunch.fun2dineoutDined on 8/27/2013Friend took me for lunch. The Chinese Chicken Salad was very good. My friend had pulled pork sandwich with fries/onion strings> Yummmmmm!Special Features:
- Great place to meet for lunchJef2Dined on 8/20/2013Max's food is tasty and portions are substantial. Best place for a sandwich on the Peninsula. Their iced tea is brewed at the table, so it always tastes like real tea. The servers are well-trained, friendly, and used to getting people served and back to work in timely fashion, but if you're there for a visit that's ok with them too, and they will encourage you to take your time and pour you another cup of coffee.Special Features:
- I was dissapointed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2013I was dissapointed with the quality of the food. Maybe dinner or lunch might be a better choice, but I was not impressed at all this time.
- Max's Never Disappoints!cabaretgirlVIPDined on 8/13/2013Lunch with my pal was great at Max's. I also like to go there in the evening because of the great piano players in the bar. Live music always adds so much.Special Features:
- Just what we neededtgindcVIPDined on 8/7/2013Four of us (two couples) were enroute to SFO after a holiday in Central California. I used my Open Tables app to search for a highly-rated but inexpensive nearby restaurant. Max's was our pick, and it was perfect. We cracked up reading Max's rules that were printed on the back of the menu (e.g., "if your fries aren't crisp, send them back, maybe the kitchen will get the message.") The asian salad with fried chicken strips was wonderful, and the Reuben sandwiches were everything you'd want a Reuben to be. And the total for four adults (no drinks) was $69, including tax and tip. Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's, ... needs a re-domcd51Dined on 7/29/2013Over the years my wife & I have enjoyed dining at various Max's locations. We've always had great service & great food. Our latest visit to Max's Burlingame was fine overall, but we noticed that this location might need some sprucing up. Carpeting, tables, chairs, pictures need upgrading. Entire restaurant just seems a bit 'tired.' :^(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Lunch!DateNightVIPDined on 7/10/2013We can always count on Max's to provide a tasty, quick lunch with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We use this restaurant whenSueSVIPDined on 6/24/2013We use this restaurant when making a rental car return for SFO to get dinner before taking the red eye home. It has a decent menu selection of well-prepared food and is a reliable place to eat as the airport facilities are poor and they have no lounges.