Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
417 Stockton Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.burritttavern.com/
- Phone: 4154000561x
- Hours of Operation:
OpenTable Reservations are for dining room only.
Dinner: Su-Th 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sa 5:30pm-10:30pm
Valet parking $8 after 6pm at 450 Sutter with your receipt.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Luke Knox
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz and Contemporary Instrumental Tuesday-Thursday 6pm-9pm and Friday-Saturday 7pm-10pm.
A word from Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
As the new executive chef at Charlie Palmer’s Burritt Room and one of the Zagat's 30 under 30, Knox was brought in to completely overhaul the tavern’s menu. Armed with first-hand experience of agriculture (growing up near his uncle’s farm in Nebraska) and 10 years working in fine-dining restaurants like Bouchon and Aureole in Las Vegas, the Thomas Keller/Charlie Palmer protégé knows his way around fresh ingredients and how to enhance their flavors with minimal manipulation. “My dishes integrate Charlie’s Progressive American style," he says, "while also incorporating my passion for clean, simple plates with strong flavors and a sense of San Francisco style.” He recently turned his attention to the Burritt Room, where he’s raised the bar on the menu offerings, introducing items that go beyond your standard fare such as fried pork shank with American Ale reduction and asparagus and crispy artichoke salad.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (29)fit for foodies (21)hot spot (18)good for groups (14)neighborhood gem (14)romantic (13)late-night find (12)special occasion (10)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Over-priced and bad serviceHeatherPDined on 11/22/2013A group of 6 of us went. I was apprehensive, knowing how slow the bar service is there. Upon arriving with half of our party, I was surprised that they would not seat us. When finally seated, it took 15 minutes to be able to order drinks, and another 10 minutes to order food. We ordered starters and mains. One of us ordered the steak as her main, asked about the pork and then decided on the steak after all. When our mains arrived, that person was given the pork. She sent it back saying she had ordered the steak, and our server actually came back to the table to question her. This was shocking and annoying for all of us. The mains are each over $25 for soso food. I had the burger, which was a whopping $22.Special Features:
- Great food, fun barOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/22/2013Second time and we really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. My only complaint is that the wine list is WAY TOO Expensive, with only 1-2 botlles starting at $50 and the average price is above $75.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just .. okDavidDined on 11/21/2013The setting is great here, the location upstairs is good and the decor etc is well done, but unfortunatly it wasnt really good for what i wanted on the last time i was there. The noise level in the bar was crazy and they had a live band so we had to shout constantly at each other to hear what anyone was saying. Both times i have been here there is always a drama trying to get served a drink, and then they won't let you continue into the dining room, you have to close out the bill which takes forever i hate that, could they not work that one out to make it simpler for the customer? Noise level was crazy ....Special Features:
- We had a great meal here.ElaineDined on 11/20/2013We had a great meal here. Sat in a booth towards the back of restaurant, so noise from bar was much reduced. Our waitress was very friendly and knowledgeable about the food, wine and cocktails. I had the salmon with Swiss chard and beets, and it was fantastic. Others at the table all enjoyed their meals, and we finished off with interesting selection of sorbets. Would definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware Bartenders overchargeDineOutEnoughDined on 11/19/2013Beware - I have been to the Burritt Room and Tavern about 3 or 4 times maybe more and now on 3 occasions there have been attempts to charge me and my guests for drinks I did not order, and more expensive drinks than I ordered. It seems like they are trying to take advantage of tourists that are passing through and think of if it just as a bartenders mistake. The pattern has been too consistent for it to be a mistake. It's very disappointing because otherwise I like the location.
- New emperor in old clothesPAGourmandVIPDined on 11/15/2013Had a delightful dinner in one of the private compartments in the main room. Wonderful food and service.Special Features:
- NoisyMooseDined on 11/12/2013Food was delicious, however limited number of choices. Music in the bar area very loud and difficult to converse in the dining area. Incorrect choice for a familial conversation.Special Features:
- should have been here yesterdayPRYANVIPDined on 11/10/2013Was in SF for a Birthday weekend and made reservations several weeks earlier.....Very nice ambiance and vibe , waiter ( Ryan) was great and attentive , BUT with only 9 or 10 main entree items to choose from, 2 of the items were all gone ( Crispy chicken and Tavern steak) by 7pm . VERY DISAPPOINTING.....but we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, funky and funTheRealSteakmanVIPDined on 11/9/2013Love this place. Ambiance is fun, food is inventive (kale Caesar starter and salmon entree for example) and the wine/cocktails are terrific. They have tables for big parties and private curtained booths for smaller ones. A funky place for the neighborhood. Definitely recommend and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemJonOVIPDined on 11/5/2013I was surprised to find this gem of a restaurant hidden away on the second floor of the Mystic Hotel in San Francisco. Much to my great surprise, the food, service, and ambiance were tops, and it was one of the best dining experiences I had in SF. The staff was attentive and the food was prepared to perfection. After the dinner, we enjoyed an after dinner drink and some nice jazz in the adjoining bar. All together, a very nice evening!Special Features:
- Disappointing at best.LW123VIPDined on 10/19/2013Dinner took F O R E V E R. My husband had what he described as the worst short ribs of his life. The seasining was lovely...the cut of meat atrociously tough. Our waiter didnt seem to know how ro handle the situation offering only a meager apology. Liked the room...loked the idea...just fell short of delivering good food. Next visit if there is one....we will likely forgoe the reataurant and just dine at the quaint bar.Special Features:
- Just the two of us, had reservedLellaVIPDined on 10/18/2013Just the two of us, had reserved and were sat in one of the cubicles and every time our server came in and out he slightly pulled the drapes, so a casual date night with hubby turned into a more romantic evening. The almond milk mushroom risotto creamy and delicious. My husband loves short ribs and these were so tender, cooked beautifully you don't need a horrid steak knife (why do you anyway) you could cut it just with a fork. Service is polite is prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodPaulRVIPDined on 10/9/2013The restaurant is upstairs in a hotel near the stockton street tunnel so an enexpected find. The service was very good especially the wine service. If you want to chat, ask to sit at the back away from the bar because it has live music. The food was very good and from first to main course and dessert out party of 3 enjoyed everything they ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunAmybDined on 10/5/2013My daughter and I found this restaurant and had a great experience. The food was delicious and different. The drinks we so creative. The service exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot!foodluvVIPDined on 10/5/2013Loved the atmosphere, food and service. Nice variety. Jazz music was wonderful tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, bad servicelkeepDined on 10/3/2013The food and drinks were good, though felt overpriced. When I pay $22 for a hamburger, I expect great service to come with it. And we didn't get that. It was slow, slow, slow. It took 30 minutes for the drinks to show up at the table. Once we ordered food, half the table got their food ten minutes before the rest. Dinner for 8 took three hours. For the prices of cocktails and food, the service should have been spot on. What else were we paying a premium for?Special Features:
- Stay Away for DinnermxsingerVIPDined on 10/3/2013Service was terrible, food was pedestrian, room was LOUD.
- Last minuteericVIPDined on 10/1/2013We had not made dinner arrangements and checked Open Table for restaurants near our hotel. Burritt Room was suggested and had good reviews. My wife and I were given a private booth which is a nice touch. I had a steak and my wife had chicken and both were well prepared and we're quite reasonably priced. Great place for a casual dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bar or the restaurant?Jhc3VIPDined on 9/20/2013The Burrit Room has two very different crowds -- the drinkers chattering noisily around the lively bar and the diners eating in the restaurant area to the rear. If you will be among the latter, make sure to get a table quite distant from the bar.Special Features:
- Poor serviceNate415VIPDined on 9/20/2013Our server started the night by saying it was his job to make our night as enjoyable as possible then failed in every waySpecial Features:
- Outstanding Dinner DateOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2013Found Burritt Room on OpenTable and made a reservation 20 minutes before; and am very glad we did. We requested and got a private (curtained) booth, and had an excellent server and overall experience. The drinks were outstanding & creative, the food was great (Tavern Steak & Salmon) and overall just really nice place. The ambience was the kicker - what a cool hotel and restaurant, just really classy & cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lackadaisical serviceelGrecoVIPDined on 9/13/2013The hostess was clueless even though we had reservations--she started us to our table and stopped us several times for reasons we could not discern. Our server was forgetful--poured one glass of wine, needed another bottle to pour the other glass which didn't come for some time. Food was pretty average. One of our party ordered the Tavern Steak which was woefully small, perhaps 3 ounces! It seems like Burritt Tavern is more about the bar scene and the food is secondary.Special Features:
- San Fran TouristKonacallahansVIPDined on 9/11/2013Last minute reservation recommended by concierge did not disappointment. Excellent food and very happening bar scene. Remiinded me of a speak easy. I wouldnt hesitate to go back and will recommend it to friends travellingto San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fine Friday night of Food and WinGPfromPhoenixDined on 9/6/2013Our group of five was able to sample much of the menu collectively, and consensus was that the entire meal from appetizers to entre's to desserts were excellent. The marinated Monterrey squid and spiced prawn appetizers, halibut entre and several of the featured desserts were among the favorites. Our server, Ryan was knowledgable, attentive and an enjoyable personality. A very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Awesome find in Union SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2013I took my hubby here for his birthday and we were seated in a private booth (didn't even know they had them). The bar was packed when we walked in at 7 and the restaurant was just starting to get busy. We were greeted by everyone in the place and they all knew it was my husband's birthday which was pretty cool. (I told the staff when making my reservation and never said a word upon arrival about it). We sat down and ordered some drinks. - They have a great cocktail and wine list. Our server Sarah was awesome. She really helped us with our decision making. I had the salmon, hubby had the steak. We tried the polenta and the butter lettuce salad. It was all AWESOME! Plus Lemon Tart for dessert... Decadent. Will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Fun Dinner at the end of a long dayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2013We picked this restaurant based on the reviews and it didn't disappoint. Ryan was our waiter and he provided great suggestions. We really enjoyed the cheese plate and halibut main course. They also have a fun and different drink menu. The bar had great jazz music so it was a bit loud but it fit the vibe of the place. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very impressed!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2013What a find. All thanks to other Open Table reviews. We were staying in the Union Square area and this was just 1.5 blocks from our hotel on Powell Street. Our waiter was very engaging (in a good and helpful way) and tried some of their rather creative cocktails from the bar ........ each one a hit! Then the food started to arrive. We shared a risotto to start that we both agreed was probably the best we have ever had. Then salads and entrees. Not one item was a let down. We will be looking to go back on our next SF visit for sure. Food and Drink Lovers from Richmond, VASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice gem in the neighborhoodFabienDined on 8/19/2013Very good food and some good wines on the list. I like the atmosphere of this place and the bar next to the restaurant is a nice addition if you want to keep the night going afterwards. It was a monday night and extremely quiet, hence an enjoyable noise level but as our waitress said, mondays are totally random: can be packed, can be quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have been twice and have hadeatoutwhenucanVIPDined on 8/17/2013Have been twice and have had excellent meals both times. Love the jazzie speak easy kind of vibe and the curtained booths! Prefered when the tables were up against the wall instead of catty corner......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktail list and liveAlisonjVIPDined on 8/10/2013Great cocktail list and live music. The salmon was excellent though the portion would have been small for my husband. The service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food; Great Staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/9/2013I had steak tartare followed by the Halibut dish, My associate had the risotto and then the steak. All of the dishes were well prepared, beautifully presented, and very very tasty. Conor (Restaurant Manager) and Ryan (waiter) were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Miss Burritt Room & Tavern!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2013We recently had a wonderful meal at Burritt Room & cannot wait to go back. The atmosphere reminds of me old time San Francisco restaurants with a few modern touches that give it a contemporary feel. The bar which is straight out of Sam Spade's Maltese Falcon and perfect for pre-dinner cocktails or a romantic rendezvous. The restaurant is to the left and packed with tables filled with enthusiastic diners that can make it a little hard to hear your companion. We were greeted & promptly seated, were sent a generous salumi platter from the chef, & settled in to enjoy ourselves. The menu is short but varied with something for everyone. I was able to easily find several gluten-free options. Try the halibut, it was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good news, bad newsFoodBugVIPDined on 7/31/2013The good news is that the bar is vibrant, and there's a band playing. There's nothing else like it that I'm aware of. Also, the wait staff couldn't be any nicer. In the restaurant, which is adjacent to the bar, the pictures on the wall were great, and they have some old-fashioned private booths for dining. The bad news is that the food in the restaurant was mediocre at best. It's too bad - because it could be a great restaurant. I was very disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laid back Tavern with good foodDineFineVIPDined on 7/29/2013Comfortable with a creative flair food. Good wine list - not deep but broad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice in the neighborhoodBizDinnerDined on 7/27/2013This is the 3rd time I've eaten dinner here with different sized groups. Food as always been very good. Service has gone from poor to very good, so I hope that's a trend. Lots of places that cater to tourists in this part of SF. Burritt Room & Tavern seems to be looking for repeat customers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks/spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2013Very cool space with fantastic, but pricey, drinks. Worth it for a special event but probably not somewhere to go for a weekly happy hour. Food was ok and definitely a little disappointing for the price but the live jazz band playing Nirvana covers made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times, great drinksgregorsaurVIPDined on 7/19/2013I've been here several times to visit the great bar. The drinks are delicious and the punch bowls are great for groups. Finally got a chance to dine here and the food holds up to the drinks' reputation. WIll be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs to taste their before servingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/14/2013I had the so called crispy chicken with some type of creamy spinach. The spinach was too salty and chicken was covered with a watered down barbeque sauce not worth the $28. They also need a mixologist for a bartender. If a restaurant/ bar is going to charge $11 for a drink it should at be good enough to drink! I sent my drink back and order a Cosmo which tasted like grapefruit juice and vodka with big wedge of lemon floating in it! ;(
- Great Jazz, Drinks, FoodlivetoeatDined on 7/11/2013What more could you ask for... Definitely the gem of the block, but if you are looking for a small intimate location for cocktails with fun mixologists, a dinner menu that will make you indecisive and some great wines... this is your place. I took a group of 10 co-workers and had rave reviews from all. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat CustomerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2013We'd been here in January for an anniversary dinner. This time we returned for a group dinner, and it was a hit. They were very flexible with changes to the size of our group. In a fairly diverse group, everyone was very happy with their experience. The menu options are interesting enough for the foodies and standard enough for the less adventurous. I started with a salad with avocado, bacon and a horseradish dressing. So good! I ordered the salmon for my entree. It was perfectly cooked but a bit too salty. Still, I devoured it along with its minimal accoutrement. Order a side if you're hungry. Our server was warm, friendly and helpful. The bussers were slow. We had ask for bread, and it took too long for them to clear our plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.