Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
417 Stockton Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.burritttavern.com/
- Phone: 4154000561x
- Hours of Operation:
OpenTable Reservations are for dining room only.
Dinner: Su-Th 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sa 5:30pm-10:30pm
Valet parking $8 after 6pm at 450 Sutter with your receipt.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Luke Knox
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz and Contemporary Instrumental Tuesday-Thursday 6pm-9pm and Friday-Saturday 7pm-10pm.
A word from Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
As the new executive chef at Charlie Palmer’s Burritt Room and one of the Zagat's 30 under 30, Knox was brought in to completely overhaul the tavern’s menu. Armed with first-hand experience of agriculture (growing up near his uncle’s farm in Nebraska) and 10 years working in fine-dining restaurants like Bouchon and Aureole in Las Vegas, the Thomas Keller/Charlie Palmer protégé knows his way around fresh ingredients and how to enhance their flavors with minimal manipulation. “My dishes integrate Charlie’s Progressive American style," he says, "while also incorporating my passion for clean, simple plates with strong flavors and a sense of San Francisco style.” He recently turned his attention to the Burritt Room, where he’s raised the bar on the menu offerings, introducing items that go beyond your standard fare such as fried pork shank with American Ale reduction and asparagus and crispy artichoke salad.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (29)fit for foodies (21)hot spot (18)good for groups (14)neighborhood gem (14)romantic (13)late-night find (12)special occasion (10)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Great Union Square SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014Living in San Francisco, I don't find myself eating downtown a lot, but it is always great to find a spot like this where the food is great and so are the drinks. If you are looking for a great to grab a bite (they have lots of good small plate options), then you should pop in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for qualityRobbieVIPDined on 3/7/2014With so many outstanding restaurant choices in San Francisco, you can definitely give the spot pass. The food is a way overpriced for the quality and quantity that you get.
- Burritt Room and TavernMGaneyDined on 2/28/2014I made a last minute reservation for a small group at the Burritt Room for a Friday night. We arrived early, missing one member of the group, and we had a drink at the bar. The drinks and service were great, and there was a live band. Dinner was in a quieter area, and although the tables next to us were very close- luckily there were no diners to our immediate left and right. Our appetizers, meals, and wine were all very good and there were no complaints at the table! We liked the ambiance, the food, and the different vibe of the bar scene.Special Features:
- A New Union Square StandbyllestellVIPDined on 2/25/2014On the night I visited, a Tuesday, Burritt was quite busy with what looked like business dinners, and there was jazz in the bar area. Our cocktails were delicious. The food was also very good, though the entrees were over-salted. The prices were a bit high ($22 for a burger?) but nothing outrageous by SF standards. There was a very large group that slowed down the kitchen just as we ordered, but the server graciously comped our salad as an apology for the wait. I'm generally skeptical of the dining options near Union Square, so it's nice to know I have a quality option for dinner or just a cocktail.Special Features:
- Surprise for locationLAR007VIPDined on 2/21/2014Don't let the lobby of the Mystic Hotel fool you... head straight up the stairs to the bar and restaurant. The bar has a great cocktails. Our VERY young waitress seemed overwhelmed by crowd and seems they need more people on the floor serving cocktails. I was pleasantly surprised by the bar scene and it's great for an initial drink before you move on for the evening. We decided to stay for dinner and glad we moved into the restaurant when the band started because it was already pretty loud for talking before the band started. The restaurant was goodm our waitress was excellent. Great timing on her pacing of our table. Loved little alcove tables but regular tables were so close it was like joining another party. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Good restaurant, better barDolemiteDined on 2/21/2014Group of 4. We were seated in between two tables that had single diners, so strangers were listening to our conversation for the first half of our meal...they were then changed out for two couples, one of which was fighting in broken english...not distracting at all. Plenty of tables available, so I don't know why they sat us directly next to people. The service and food was on point. The wine list is pricey, so we stuck to cocktails and wine by the glass. Shared the kale caesar and the sourdough pancake to start and I went with the New York steak for my main. The sourdough pancake with brussels sprouts was my personal favorite. The older crowd enjoyed the jazz playing in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very maltese falconjoeinSFDined on 2/21/2014had a nice night at the burritt recently. although the main course(s) were fairly unimaginative, the baby kale salad was great and the bourbon cocktail (modern large cube version of a manhattan) to start was phenomenal. the dining room was recently remodeled in tasteful modern style that accented much of the original wood and brick character; one could almost imaging humphrey bogart sauntering by on his way to order a manhattan, original version. service was great. overall a good but not outstanding, authentic SF experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden secretSFGEVIPDined on 2/21/2014Located upstairs in the recently renovated Mystic Hotel across from Stockton St. Garage (and same block as the Green Door), restaurant was a surprise. Large, high ceilings with brick wall and wall of paneled booths. Live jazz at the bar. Service was friendly and helpful. Food was excellent. Small plates are small so order enough. Wine list good, but pricey. Not easy to find, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and drink, rookie serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014The drinks, food, and scene all make a good impression, but you get the distinct impression that the management isn't as talented as the chef and bartenders are. Everything we ate or drank was at least good and sometimes excellent, and the ambience was fun and cool without being too loud or hectic. On the other hand, I don't think we could ever figure out who our waiter was. There seemed to be at least three different hosts, and we stood around in purgatory for a little while before being seated. We had a green bean casserole that wasn't a casserole at all, though it tasted great. Even the decor seems to underutilize a great room. All in all, very recommendable, just needs a little management polish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union Square SurpriseSpenserVIPDined on 2/8/2014I am always skeptical of restaurants in Union Square but the Burritt Room was a phenomenal experience. The sommelier was extremely knowledgeable, very friendly and very approachable. All of the food, from the house-made bread to the salads and entrees were absolutely delicious. The service was attentive and the ambiance is warm and inviting. We followed our meal with an after dinner drink in the bar area to listen to live jazz. Overall, a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Great experience!Sim0227Dined on 1/28/2014We came for Dine About Town dinner and enjoyed everything at this restaurant. Delicious food, friendly service, and wonderful live music. Would definitely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ambience, needs food & svcInSFonBusDined on 1/26/2014The restaurant looks nice, but the food was so-so (very small portions and not very tasty) and the service was not friendly or prompt.
- Great spotkejmDined on 1/25/2014Based on the review, we picked this place for dinner prior to our show. Ambiance was great, service was great and the food was good. We were there when the restaurant opened so we were able to enjoy everything in just over an hour. We were told that they have a small kitchen so if it is crowded, do expect dinner to take longer. But we think it is worth it. Enjoy yourself, the food and the ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But Not GreatDonDonovitchDined on 1/22/2014The ambiance and service were impeccable. The food that was served was for the most part plated attractively. We ordered and shared the pork, the portebello mushrooms as main dishes, terrine and pate as firsts , and brussel sprouts, and french fries as sides. The reason I rate the meal good but not great is that the main dishes were very simple and not very flavorful, though the pork was served at the perfect wellness. The Brussel Sprouts was the only dish that really stood out, You really have two options with french fries -- serve in a decent quantity and treat it as an alternative with bread or prepare them in a way that partially re-invents it. These did neither,Special Features:
- Great Food/Ambience But Too Loud!steffaniaDined on 1/21/2014Excellent food which included. Kale Ceasar Salas Sweetbreads with Truffle Oil Brussell Sprouts New York Steak Lovely atmosphere. Low light. Great decor. However, the live music almost wrecked it for us. The bar and dining room spill into each other and the noise level was ridiculous. We were practically screaming at each other to be heard! Only go if there's no live music.Special Features:
- One of the BEST in Union SquareKellysfVIPDined on 1/20/2014I absolutely LOVE this restaurant. Great drinks, food and service. I only discovered it a few months ago and I have been 6 times. The bartenders are friendly and make perfect craft cocktails. The fries are the perfect side to a Poquito Picante cocktail!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine About Town be warned!jbm1313Dined on 1/18/2014Although the restaurant wound up being very good, we got off to a rough start. After being seated it took the staff a while to get to us at all. Once the staff did get to us we were told that the dine about town menu is for parties of less than 5 (we had 6 people). Let me be clear that the service from this point forward more than made up for these events, but not the best start to things. I didn't see any revolutionary offerings on the menu, but what was there was excellently prepared and generous in portion size. The wait staff was friendly and helpful as well. I have yet to find documentation for the party size limit for the dine about town menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely will be backSheatealotDined on 1/18/2014The restaurant felt put together without making you feel uncomfortable. The staff was friendly, welcoming, and knowledgable. They had an interesting variety of cocktails with a good spin on old classics, but I loved that serve anchor porter beers. Food was wonderful like an elevated gastropub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/17/2014The food was excellent, when we finally got it. Was it tge server or the kitchen?
- Mixed ExperienceNikkiDined on 1/16/2014I went to this restaurant for dinner during Restaurant Week. The server was very friendly when we were seated but the service was very slow. Our three course dinner took 2.5 hours. I had to ask our server to check on our appetizers - only one was a hot dish and a table who had been seated after us received theirs first. We had waited at least 30 minutes. She brought them out and said they had been waiting for her to pick them up - miscommunication with the kitchen. The food tasted good but I was a little disappointed with my cut of meat. It was one of the more expensive items on the menu but hadn't been trimmed properly. The tables were close together so not great for romantic or private conversations. Overall, good but overpriced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service - great foodMWHealdsburgVIPDined on 1/16/2014This place is always right on point. The food is great well presented. Short ribs were wonderful. Go have funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencefrankdDined on 1/16/2014From the Baked Fresh Focaccia Bread and infused butter through the wine parings and incredible entrees and finally dessert, the evening was incredibly enjoyable. It is hard to pick the best item we ate and shared, it was all excellent. Thank you Team Burritt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Service..FoodessVIPDined on 1/11/2014My husband had the salmon, and I had the Burritt Burger.. both excellent tasting and beautifully prepared. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BurrittSaylorsVIPDined on 1/11/2014Burritt room has great ambiance, and wonderful live music. However, the food is so-so, and the service really needs work. The hostess asked not to even speak to my party until the entire group was present, and then it took us over a hour to get our entrees. Our waiter was nice, but he completely abandoned us after taking the food orders. We sat with empty wine glasses for about 30 minutes before managing to flag him down. I might come back for wine and music, but for the price point, there are definitely better options.Special Features:
- Food, music & ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2014The ambiance was great and the private booths make for a romantic and intimate setting. Good was amazing and the music was great. Then there was live music also which kept a nice flow going. Food was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, both atEricaDined on 12/31/2013Excellent service, both at the bar and at the restaurant. Great cocktails and yummy NYE pre-fixe menu that was able to be modified for vegetarian diet. Knowledgeable waiter who let us try his fave Syrah. Overall great experience for a NYE and we will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite NYE's!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/31/2013A great spot for NYE- Great food (prix fixe only, but worthwhile for 4 courses at $65/p!) with a delightful sparkling pairing- including a house infused chamomile moscato!! After dinner, we were donned with New Years head gear and we had a wonderful rest of the evening in the bar area with live music, confetti and a festive, fun spirit with a few more Berlinetta's :) We will be back for dinner, drinks and quite possibly another NYE next year. Thanks, Burritt Room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findjyangDined on 12/31/2013Burritt Room reminds me of some of my favorite places in Brooklyn. Upscale speakeasy vibe with rustic design, artisanal menu, jazz trio playing by the bar. We came for NYE and overall, we loved it. It was prix fixe that night, and in my experience prix fixe is never as good as the usual menu. The food itself was 50/50 - some items were great while others were too salty. I would definitely come back to see how much better their regular offerings are. I didn't try their wines, but the cocktails were excellent. Service was fantastic. They were extremely accommodating on a couple of things, even substituting certain dishes for a friend with seafood allergies - not typical for prix fixe. A nice break from the usual 'downtown' places in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Treat!KarenVIPDined on 12/24/2013We had a very wonderful dining evening at Burritt Room on Christmas Eve. This was our first time dining at Burritt Room, but I can assure you, it won't be our last - we look forward to returning and trying new culinary treats that the chef and staff have to offer.Special Features:
- Gets Better Every TimeallezmikeVIPDined on 12/21/2013Even though there are many choices we love to return to this super restaurant and bar. It is all good - !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SF GemSuzetteVIPDined on 12/20/2013First time at this restaurant but it won't be the last. While all the dishes were very good, the white truffle risotto and the desserts took center stage. The risotto was hot and creamy with a delicious swirl of white truffle oil. The desserts, however, were even better: creative pairings of flavors including herbal additions to cookies and licorice flavored ice cream. The pumpkin dessert was my husband's favorite with the rice pudding prepared as a creme brûlée getting my vote. The restaurant touts it's connection to The Maltese Falcon author Dashiel Hammett and plays up a speakeasy vibe…all in all a very unique and pleasant evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeavenGirlWhoEatsVIPDined on 12/20/2013White truffle risotto - Heavenly! We ate like royals and washed it all down with delicious wine. Our table was in a good spot so we got to do a fair amount of people watching and everyone had a smile on their face... just like ours. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in so many waysMagzyjDined on 12/14/2013We celebrated a friend's milestone birthday here last Saturday, and everything was fantastic, especially the food. We felt well taken care of and had a great evening. This place is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Price performancerwarkovVIPDined on 12/12/2013I like everything about this place, just had dinner and got seated in a curtained booth, went from energetic to private in a moment. Food and bar service are both noteworthy. Food menu changes frequently and I really appreciate the chef's use of both local ingredients and use of animal proteins that are not typically seen. Have seen sweetbreads, liver and tongue as items on the menu at different times. This last dinner I had a pork tenderloin that, although not unusual, was prepared perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real diamond in the roughkvsfVIPDined on 12/12/2013The location is not great unless you frequent the notorious Massage parlor a couple doors down, but very easy parking At Stockton/Sutter garage. The chef is amazing as are the servers. Since discovered a few weeks ago, have been there Several times, they have GREAT risotto with freshly shaved white truffles. Ask for the chef to shave them at the table! There are little side Botha that seat four but perfect for two! Really great love music. Would not recommend the weekend unless you like a crush of people at the bar/super vibrant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Our service was fantastic however we had to wait over 15 minutes for our bill. The closeness of tables meant loud conversations. Thus hard to carry on conversations unless you spoke loadly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed and then some!!RalphDined on 11/28/2013For a tavern-based Thanksgiving family dinner this was exceptional. It took a 25 minute delay in seating us past our reservation time (it was Thanksgiving buisy) and somewhat chaotic in getting our table but it was wonderfully down-hill from there. The service, friendly and conversant waiters, and especially the food (4 course meal) was impressive - delicious and marvelous presentations. I would recommend to anyone. The eclectic jazz bar trio was a perfect acoustic backdrop. Well done Burritt!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thansgiving at Burritt Room & TavercyberbusDined on 11/28/2013Not what I hoped for Thanksgiving dinner out. Tiny little bistro chairs and tables that was horribly uncomfortable and inappropriate. The wait staff was average at best as well as the food. Never again.
- Thanksgiving alternativeTTewVIPDined on 11/28/2013Last year was amazing and people were still talking about the stuffing as we sat down. It was a similar menu as last year without the amazing parts. It was disappointing enough that we will have to roll the dice on another place for thanksgiving next year. Service was very nice and attentive. Very good with the kids.Special Features:
- SF Swank on StocktonJ9SFDined on 11/23/2013Burritt Room & Tavern is a pleasant surprise from the gritty Stockton/Sutter location. It reminds more of a NYC spot than SF. The bar is spacious, dark, moody, eclectic and serves some funky cocktails (I don't drink so I can't comment). There was a 3-piece jazz trio playing the Saturday night we were there that added a great background vibe without being so loud you couldn't talk/hear. The dining room is a bit more sparse/minimalist with lots of dark wood and red candles (I think). Go for one of the curtained-off booths and make sure they don't sit you by the kitchen/servers station, it will kill your buzz. Little gem salad was delicious; salmon was okay, did not blow me away for $28. Our server, Ryan, was top notch - friendly, attentive.Special Features: