603 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bouchesf.com/
- Phone: 4159560396x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-1:00am
Sunday 5:30pm 11:pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Danny Murcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bouche
Bouche is a California-French restaurant with an oft-changing seasonal menu and a focus on small plates created by Chef Danny Murcia. The beer and wine list is centered on small producers from both California and France.Continued
Counter seating is available on a first come first serve basis.
Counter seating is available on a first come first serve basis.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bouche reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)romantic (52)neighborhood gem (50)special occasion (35)notable wine list (32)late-night find (18)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Glad we found this restaurant!GladsDined on 6/20/2014Excellent food,great service and cozy ambiance! Intimate restaurant that delivers great food!The duck confit and pork belly - a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint dinner spotHarmonyanimalvet1Dined on 6/19/2014Very good experience at this restaurant, staff friendly and good with our two children, very cute loft like atmosphere upstairs for dinner, we enjoyed good wines in the $50 price range, all the food was enjoyable and well prepared, would certainly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placekostyaDined on 6/6/2014Very satisfied with food and atmosphere, one minor con - waited for our entree for 10-15 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2014Glad I went once but I'd probably never return. Lovely ambiance with a friendly and accommodating staff. Lot's of ideas on the plate but a lack of execution. Flavors weren't well balanced and there wasn't enough attention to detail.Special Features:
- Everything was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/31/2014The food, service, and ambience was outstanding. This is the epitome of a neighborhood gem, and it is simply fantastic that a dining experience of this caliber can be had past midnight. Bravo, we will be back often.Special Features:
- Great, as Usual!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2014Bouche never fails to amaze me! Great Food, Great Vibe.....I will be back again and again!Special Features:
- Hidden gemluv2eatDined on 5/25/2014Behind an unassuming store front is an amazing french restaurant fit for foodies. Great food. Great service. Full of charm and a perfect restaurant for a date or to rekindle the romance in any relationship.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, glad we went!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014Entrees were most enjoyable! Sweetbread appetizer so disappointing - despite listing sweetbread as the first ingredient, it was almost entirely mushrooms, which quite overtook the flavor of the few teensy pieces of sweetbread. Enjoyed the wines! The cafe americain was a true one - excellent! Creme fraiche custard - amazing! We had a miscommunication as we had requested as quiet a table as possible (because of a hearing issue). When we were being seated, I asked for the empty table against the wall in the middle right, saying we needed as quiet table as possible;we were told that that table had been 'requested' already. That table sat empty the full hour and ten minutes we were there, with a couple arriving just before we left.Special Features:
- The following 339 reviews are from the Bouche reviews archive.
- A real neighborhood restaurantgregDined on 5/24/2014We found Bouche via the internet. What we didn't know was how quaint this "find" of a restaurant was going to be. It is quite small in a physical sense, but quite large in a culinary sense. Our table was located upstairs in an attic like room with windows that opened out into the street so that we could observe the street scene. The guests who sat at the small tables on either side of us where friendly and easily engaged in conversation without becoming invasive. The food was prepared simply, but elegantly. We so enjoyed the comfort that Bouche provides. The wait staff also deserves kudos for their assistance and advice. All in all, this was an unexpectedly wonderful experience in a city known for its fine restaurants.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a small, crowded restuarant, but that only adds to the "authentic" atmosphere. The service was excellent. The waitstaff were pleasant, knowledgeable and attentive, but we were not rushed and had the time to enjoy the experience. The food was first class and the wines unusual (at least for me) but interesting. We will return.Special Features:
- well conceived dishesBruceDined on 5/24/2014The dishes were creative, complex yet harmonius. It's was truly delicious.Special Features:
- "Hidden" gemTTSFVIPDined on 5/20/2014Tucked away from the Union Square crowd, Bouche is a gem atop the Stockton Street Tunnel. Super cute and cozy restaurant with delicious food. The service is slightly slow, so this isn't the place to come if you're on a tight timeline, but if you have the time for a leisurely meal, it's lovely. Be sure to save room for dessert!Special Features:
- wrong night, but great foodSaffron75Dined on 5/18/2014Our dinner was delicious and the service was terrific as always. 4 stars for BOUCHE. No stars for OPEN TABLE. Open Table WRONGLY had us down for a res. on 5-18 We are two hours away from home and would never make an 8:30 reservation. We had made one for May 19th and OT did not get that info to Bouche. We were listed as a no-show on the 18th and no reservation on the 19th, yet Bouche was kind enough to seat us when we arrived on the 19th. Our dinner was delicious and the service was terrific as always. 4 stars for BOUCHE. No stars for OPEN TABLE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming FindseattlefoodgirlVIPDined on 5/17/2014This is one of the most charming restaurants in San Francisco and the food is delicious, too. Although small, this restaurant is efficiently run. Our waiter was outstanding and friendly. He chose the perfect wines to go with our entrees. On this recent visit, our favorite items were the Duck Confit Croquants for the appetizer and the Citrus & Honey Confit Lamb Shank and the Pan Seared Petrale Sole for entrees. We travel to San Francisco 3-4 times a year and eat at many restaurants but this is the one I dream about when I am home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent treatsjboneDined on 5/14/2014Many unique menu items all were exquisite. Had the real feeling of being in a french country inn. Not their fault but the night we were there was a real scorcher (unusual for SF) and they are not air conditioned . Staff made the best of it with plenty of ice. Will return.Special Features:
- memorable brunchMiswuVIPDined on 5/11/2014Good brunch menu with friendly services. Entrees was delicious and well presented. Great setting and atmosphere. Will definitely return...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience with lacking servicemeilinnnDined on 5/11/2014I had wanted to go to Bouche for a while now, so I made reservations for brunch on Mother's Day. Especially after hearing May 11th would be the last Sunday Brunch Bouche would have. Our food was great. However, I won't bother writing what we ordered because Bouche will no longer have brunch and because our dining experience lacked service. I said that I'll recommend Bouche to a friend, only because the food was great and I want to give Bouche a second change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh PariFooddocVIPDined on 5/9/2014I found myself feeling that I was in a parisan bistro. The food was outstanding. The service was terrific. The cost was amazing.Special Features:
- SuperbKuzmab1Dined on 5/8/2014I adore this place and will travel far and wide to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealDineoutqueenVIPDined on 5/8/2014Food here is creative and delicious. They match wonderful magic of French cuisine with great grains and sides. Interesting and delicious appetizers. Scallop very tasty. Lamb shank was perfect entree served with couscous. Try it.Special Features:
- Cold Red!maxdinesDined on 5/5/2014It was absolutely outstanding. Only minor disappointment was that the red wine, pinot noir, was served cold. But by the time dessert was served (Goat cheese cake and in-house beet ice cream) the wine temperature was fine; hence the complete five stars!. MaxSpecial Features:
- A hot nightckaaVIPDined on 5/1/2014Food was very good and a little different which we enjoy. We went early 5:30 on a very hot night and the place was way too hot. The low ceiling and lack of circulation made the dining area really uncomfortable. Tables are too close together by the window! The ambiance would make me think twice about going back, but the food and wine were very good.Special Features:
- Was there in a SF Heat WaveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/30/2014The food was wonderful and the staff did all they could but we sat UPSTAIRS for an 7 pm dinner with out of town guests and the temps in SF were in the mid 80s in April - No AC in many SF restaurants so needless to say it was Stuffy and Sweaty in the restaurant. Will return again -- but never when it is warm outside.
- Dining experienceJSNJVIPDined on 4/28/2014I had a dinner reservation, yet when I arrived they seated me at the bar and not at a table. This was a huge turn off for me, if no table was available they should have notified me before I got there. However, the food and the service was good.Special Features:
- Unexpected and wonderfulUnclbarVIPDined on 4/24/2014One might not expect such a great experience from the outside and from the location, but run, don't walk, to Bouche. The food and service were outstanding--one of the best experiences in San Francisco. We were heading for the theater and perhaps overly uncertain about whether we'd left enough time to eat and get to will call...and the waiter was both initially reassuring and well focussed on making sure it all worked out, as it did. The food was creative without being fussy. Portions were quite adequate--the salad was plenty to split. I'd suggest getting the mushroom side dish which was excellent. Go and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unimpressive serviceEdv5Dined on 4/22/2014This was my second visit at Bouche. The service is not up to par. Silverware brought to the table with bare hands (no marking tray), food items being dropped on the table without much explanation or in a hurry. Our server forgot to bring us the crab mash potatoes yet he never cared to check with us during our dinner to see how we were doing. It feels like the staff thinks they can get away without providing the personable service one would expect to find at a small restaurant like Bouche. I came back to Bouche because it was high on my guest's list, but I reluctantly did so and after last Tuesday's visit I do not think I will have a reason to come back.Special Features:
- Great SupriseHungryluncherDined on 4/21/2014Bouche was recommended by a friend for a special night out for my girlfriends birthday. We could not have been more pleased with the entire experience. The food was amazing, the service was great, and the ambiance was anything but your typical chain restaurant. We will definitely be back to try the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful experienceSaffron75Dined on 4/18/2014We can't wait to return to this charming, tastefully decorated, spot for the delicious dishes. We loved it all. The service was perfect, the food was wonderful without being too fussy, the deserts were among the best we have ever had. Their good reputation is well-deserved.Special Features:
- Frenchiphile Friendly808DAKDined on 4/14/2014Don't be discouraged by this off-the-wall hole-in-the-wall; first impression entering off the street may cause one to turn around and leave, but once at the table upstairs it was like being back in France. Waiter, Cook, Busboy, …all French. Wine…French. And then the food….voila….we WERE back in France. BOUCHE means mouth…appropriately named….tre's bon. Found this place on Urban Spoon…a great find; will definitely go back the next time we are in San Francisco.Special Features:
- LOVE This PLACE!!!JacqueVIPDined on 4/11/2014Well I have been wanting to try this place for a while and finally did. The Food was great and service exceptional. Love sitting in the window and people watching. Its a small place so large groups wont work. Best for parties of two or three. Its now my new favorite after long day of city shopping in Union Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!StanfordFanVIPDined on 4/11/2014We rarely choose a cheese starter, but the French Laguiole that Bouche served with honey and nuts was outstanding. The petrale sole I had melted in my mouth with a wonderful sauce. My husband ate every morsel of the pork chop. We will definitely return to Bouche.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was mehOliveDined on 4/10/2014Nice place, but the food was way too salty. Everyone at my table felt the food much too salty. Definitely did not wow us, although great atmosphere and good service.Special Features:
- A GemJoshDined on 4/9/2014This place truly is a little gem of a restaurant. It's no bigger than a one bedroom apt but it has a good ambiance, great food, & wonderful service. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French Bistro Food!SuzanneDined on 4/8/2014We enjoyed an excellent meal and warm, attentive service at Bouche. The space is small and intimate and has a great atmosphere. We will be regular customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French Bistro. CharmingRI4549VIPDined on 4/6/2014Great French Bistro. Charming ambience and wonderful original food. Service was attentive. Would go back there for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & wine, bland foodJesseVIPDined on 4/4/2014Very welcoming & helpful staff, delicious wine selections, but under-seasoned monochromatic bland food. Evidently no salt or pepper or fresh herbs in their kitchen. Too bad - we are always looking for small cozy French places where we can be regulars. But not here, very sorry.
- Charming, charming, charmingJohnnyDined on 4/1/2014My friend Heather introduced me to this neighbor restaurant and she emphasized the artisan quality of this charming place. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a very full house and a very warm and welcomed vibe. The lower level was decorated with mosaic of sheet metal and wood, and mostly bar seating arrangement; while upstair was small table seating, maybe 5 table or so. The Charcuterie Selection was a great starter, while the Duck Confit Croquants was also excellent. Couldn't help but notice the handmade dinner plate, and we were told that they were made by the owner's wife. All and all a great experience and will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Great findNathanDined on 3/27/2014Wanted to find a nice restaurant reasonably close to the act theatre. The food was incredible we started with the bacon fougasse which was okay not spectacular but everything after was great. I ordered the lamb and it was fall apart amazing. She ordered the sole which was also delicious. The overall feel is really intimate. Loved it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!ParisiDined on 3/25/2014We booked last minute so were not sure what to expect but from the warm welcome when we arrived to the excellent food we had a great night. The restaurant is very small but we didn't feel cramped at all. They make very good use of the space. Our waiter was attentive and very friendly. He recommended a wine that was not on the menu yet and not that expensive! It was delicious and really went well with the main course (Lamb) Finally, get the caramel dessert. It doesn't look like much but was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner from our vacation!Taz17VIPDined on 3/24/2014Best dinner from our vacation! Amazing service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.