1412 East Union
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marjorierestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2064419842
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Davenport
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Marjorie delights in catering to your needs and the requirements of your off site gathering. We use high quality, fresh ingredients to create an array of delectable dishes. We offer drop off or pick-up service, as well as high end, attentive and detail oriented service to meet your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: The Annex is a private dining facility that comfortably seats up to 50 people. Smaller Parties can be accommodated in a semi-private setting, or can buy out the room to have complete privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Donna Moodie 2064419842
- Entertainment: Marjorie does not have live entertainment, but we are lively. The mix on the iPod and the Turntables in the Bathroom and Back Room provide guests with countless opportunities to spin while enjoying the animated atmosphere and culture at Marjorie.
- Cross Street: 14th and Union
- Public Transit: The number 2 makes a stop at 14th and Union. The number 8 and 11 are also close by. As regular Marjorie customer, the Bus Chick notes, Marjorie is easily accessible by a multitude of buses!
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample street parking, particularly to the south and east of the restaurant. Secured garage parking is also available in the Chloe Retail Parking Garage, on East side of 14th Avenue between Union and Madison.
A word from Marjorie Restaurant
Marjorie, the jewel box anchor on the corner of 14th and Union, is in Capitol Hill’s latest hot zone. Marjorie, the pride of owner, Donna Moodie, who is reknowned for urban trend-spotting while designing hip, urbane spaces. Marjorie’s kitchen creates amazing, delicious cuisine, using fresh, local, sustainable ingredients. Under the guidance of reknown Chef, Dustin Calery, Marjorie takes a respectful approach to eclectic cuisine, focusing on fabulous, high quality ingredients. At Marjorie, hospitality is as important as what's in the glass and on the plate. Attentive and caring service are qualities that keep Marjorie's guests returning. The charming, warm, hand crafted interior, complimented by a lovely courtyard patio await you. The recent addition of a second dining room, provides more seating and a great place to host a party. A warm interior, tremendous cuisine, and crafted cocktails are indeed how Marjorie feeds the soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Marjorie Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Marjorie Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (58)great for outdoor dining (49)romantic (30)special occasion (29)notable wine list (10)late-night find (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Mmmm plantain chipsKmkb33Dined on 10/12/2013Not often the restaurant owner personally stops at every table - it happens here. Somewhere between the plantain chips and the pork rib ragu you realize you are reveling in one of the best meals you have ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic mix of food and music.flemjonDined on 10/10/2013Eclectic mix of food and music. A real treat - enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:
- Always enjoyableTGF58VIPDined on 10/10/2013What a wonderful neighborhood restaurant. The food was was excellent; we tried the duck which came in a generous portion, and the black cod and would recommend both. Our server was particularly pleasant and friendly, making the entire evening a great memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food and very good service!mkbaracDined on 10/8/2013Yummy food and very good service! Fun, unique preparations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rekindled lovepetercVIPDined on 9/28/2013Have been going to Marjorie for years and love the vibe, it has been a comfortable neighborhood staple, but at our most recent dinner there this weekend I found a awesome new menu and had an absolutely incredible meal all around. Thanks Donna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe an off night.FernHavenDined on 9/27/2013Marjorie's is a very cute "neighborhood" restaurant. We picked this place because of its four stars. We sat in their new back room section which had four or five large "family style" dinning tables. Although the food is very good, the service was slow. We ordered drinks and three or four appetizers and all of the appetizers made it out before the drinks. There was way to much time between courses. We even joked that the fastest thing to the table was the bill. I would try Marjorie's again for the food just to see if it was an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marjorie a hitmichaelsDined on 9/21/2013A great evening at Marjorie. Excellent service, great food, a last chance to dine outdoors before autumn. All in all a perfect evening. Marjorie never lets you down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and deliciousRichardVIPDined on 9/18/2013We dined outdoors in the dying days of summer and shared delicious plantain chips and salmon crudo to start. We both felt like burgers for the main course although many more lofty choices were available. They were done perfectly and piled high with fries and homemade spicy ketchup. Five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seattle GemFoodie13Dined on 9/14/2013Menu offers wide selection so bring your fussy diners. Enjoy plantain chips and pineapple salsa while trying to decide. I ordered several starters for my meal (baby octopus, chicken tikka masala and seared broccoli raab) plus a refreshing mocktail. My dinner companion graciously shared his delicious Pappardelle. The food was ocean/garden fresh. Outdoor dining had ambiance of a private garden - delightful and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marjorie lifts my spirit!!CraigDined on 9/14/2013Very atmospheric backdrop on Hip Capitol Hill. Tremendous versital revolving menu selection and always presented, prepared perfectly! And Donna the owner is delightfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marjorie is a major find!senseijeffDined on 9/13/2013Server was attentive & greeted us not too long after being seated (water was immediate by an assistant server). Like most restaurants on the hill, not an over expanding menu. But if you have an idea of what you want for dinner, it's best to check the menus on Opentable.com (one stop shopping!) then you won't be disappointed. (For example they didn't have a chicken dish, but I was in the mood for a burger anyway!) Ambience was more than perfect. And there was no feeling of being rushed to "turn the table". One minor hiccup at the end, it took 15 mins for the dessert to arrive. But if that's the worst that happens after a great meal then I would still give Marjorie an overall 5 star.Special Features:
- Wonderful, as alwaysPDDoc2Dined on 9/10/2013Marjorie Resturant never disappoints. Both the food and service are consistently excellent. Good drinks too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable~OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/1/2013I stopped here a few years ago for a drink and didn't care for it--maybe it was the hustling bar or the crowded front door (it was cold out). I figured i'd try it out again and took my boyfriend out to dinner here--it was great. Made a reservation and were seated on the patio easily. No waiting and no fuss. Plus, the staff was easy going and efficient. The food, atmosphere, and service + the weather were all great. Couldn't of had a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and relaxingnakedtonueVIPDined on 8/20/2013A very nice way to end a stressful day. Casual atmosphere, very nice patio seating filled with brightly colored plants and flowers. Plantain chips and clams to start, both with quality ingredients and made with care. House made pasta had great texture, substantial but not too filling. Love all their sauces and dips with each plate. Cocktails weren't very consistent but still above average.Special Features:
- No room outside- hot insideOpenTableBDFVIPDined on 8/16/2013we had made reservations hoping for a table outside because inside it gets hot when the temp is near 80. But no luck. Food was good but plaintains were sooo salty that we did not eat many. The short rib salad was very pretty but the meat was very tough...hard to believe it was short rib. But the menu looked fun so we will try againSpecial Features:
- enjoyed the halibut preparedskfoodiesDined on 8/15/2013enjoyed the halibut prepared just right moist and full of flavor!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place...DaveDined on 8/11/2013Very glad we stumbled upon this little gem. Try the plantain chips and salsa - excellent! Interesting cocktails as well; the Kirby was v nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesTravnmichaDined on 8/10/2013Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. But this place rocks. Outside seating. Cozy yet private. Great warm fun friendly staff. We go often. So please find your own sweet spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and RelaxingSparkspitDined on 8/10/2013This is our favorite restaurant in a town full of foodie places. We are always welcomed and treated with friendliness. The drinks are delicious and the food always changing and always wonderful. We have eaten here many times; it is our go-to place for out of town guests and special occasions. Once the back room was cool, once my scallops arrived less than hot; these issues were solved quickly and easily. Unpretentious and delicious, we love Marjorie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Famously fresh & finessed goodEasypeasyplsDined on 8/6/2013Donna's team always outperforms. A delightful appetizer greeted us of Japanese plum. Then sticking w/ tradition steel drum plantain chips. We need these in local grocery stores! I delved in w/ Papparadelle full of summer garden delights of green and red tomatoes, sweet corn touched with heat to bring out fresh picked flavors. My friend's steak salad was to perfection and then we enjoyed to die for nectarine galatte and panna cotta. Oooo la la.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dinner experience.JeffVIPDined on 8/3/2013My wife had the scallops and I had the halibut. Both were amazing. The bread pudding desert was also top notch. Our server had a deep understanding of the menu - refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marjorie's is a great neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2013Marjorie's is a great neighborhood restaurant! The food is great! The owner and staff are very accommodating. And the other patrons are friendly. Marjoire has good energy. I had a pasta dish. It was very flavorful and the presentation was lovely! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday SpecialwhyeatathomeDined on 7/19/2013I made reservations for a friend's 65th birthday. This was their first visit to Marjorie and they had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and the service delightful. The fried plantains were a major hit. We sat on the patio and enjoyed the summer evening. It was serendipitous-good food, good drinks and great company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerTandGDined on 7/16/2013My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Marjorie. The evening couldn't have been more ideal. The first thing our waitress said when she greeted us was "I'm on your schedule. Take your time, sit back and enjoy yourselves." It was exactly what we wanted to hear. She served us with the perfect balance of attentiveness, patience, and friendliness. The food was superb, especially the plantain and avocado dip starter (light and delicious) and the scallops with raspberry and bacon. Amazing. The outdoor dining is lovely on a summer evening, especially a summer evening in Seattle.Special Features:
- We love MarjorieOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2013This was our fourth time at Marjorie. Every time has been terrific (and we're tough critics). We have multiple food sensitivities and they are always accommodating. The food we have tried has been fabulous (especially the plantain chips with guac and the scallops). We just went with a group of nine and sat in the back room, which was perfect for a group, but not quite as much fun as sitting in the main restaurant. The owner is a gem...we recommend this restaurant without hesitation!Special Features:
- Easily the best burger I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2013Easily the best burger I've ever had. The worcestershire onions and the bone marrow aioli were perfect. Had it medium rare as per the chef's suggestion. The only thing I would change, and probably more out of a matter of personal preference, is that I would probably use sharper cheddar on the burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, fresh and delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2013We sat outdoors and it was beautiful! Great service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still doesn't disappointErthling1Dined on 7/2/2013We have loved Marjorie since its Bell Town days, but hadn't been to the new location. We'd forgotten how much we love the food selection and service. The food is beautiful without swirley sauce plate decorations. And it tasted great.. My only objection is that on the night we were there, someone had been a little heavy-handed with the salt in all the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to take vistors!bobwseattleVIPDined on 7/1/2013We had four guests from Japan along with four Seattleites. The folks at Marjorie made all of us feel welcome and helped everyone find menu options that they really enjoyed!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantWobbowobboDined on 6/21/2013Had a wonderful meal. Service was impeccable, the owner made everyone feel like a special guest. One of the best spots for an outdoor meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food4meFood4meDined on 6/21/2013It was a great place to dine, and just hang out . The food was wonderful and, the atmosphere was fun and charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!AQuarryDined on 6/16/2013We had the most memorable Father's Day dinner at Marjorie! The setting was perfect. We will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2013Marjorie is a nice, comfortable, enjoyable neighborhood restaurant. With great cocktails, good wine selection, and thoughtful menus, Marjorie is sure to please from sit down to departure. I feel comfortable at Marjorie, and the open garage doors during warm weather extends its love to the courtyard.Special Features:
- Charming but hip little restaurantTudyVIPDined on 6/11/2013Charming but hip little restaurant off Madison. Interesting cocktail options. Terrific food with a few options I'd never heard of but tried and loved. On a warm night the patio would be a wonderful spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dona Moody is a gracious hostessEsroDined on 6/6/2013Dona Moody imprints her warmth and graciousness to her whole staff. Her restaurant is welcoming, food is lovely and satisfying with inventive touches. Ambience is funky/friendly. Perfect neighborhood restaurant that I wish were in my neighborhood.Special Features:
- I was totally blown away!MagsVIPDined on 6/1/2013Hadn't been to Marjorie in about a year. It was fabulous. Our table was just inside the open patio doors so it was like being outside without the threat of a sudden rain shower. I ordered the Scallops. They were plump, juicey, seared perfectly. The Sea Beans that came with it were an amazing mix of cilantro, radish, shallots and green onions sitting on top of an avocado puree. The service was prompt and never intrusive. All the servers had smiles on their faces. Great atmosphere, great people. Will not wait a year before coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marjorie: Zest and VibeLorrieDined on 5/30/2013My friend and I had a perfect evening at Marjorie. We needed a place to talk, we wanted a tasty dinner, an attentive bar-tender and overall excellent service. Marjorie, a little gem of a restaurant, met our needs and then some!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow start but made it's way backss12VIPDined on 5/26/2013We had a pretty slow start to our meal - the waitress seated us and in a few minutes gave us water then ignored us for a good 10-15 minutes. We ordered our meals and then were able to order some cocktails. I heard a couple near us complain shortly after that that they'd been waiting for some time to order. That said, the waitress was friendly and helpful in recommending how many plates were appropriate to share. She was committed to her recommendations which was great (and they were great). The tuna sashimi starter was a little lack lustre, but the pork belly confit and the duck rillettes were delicious. Our first cocktails (when they came) were a tad disappointing (mojito and margharita) but the dark and stormy and the Kocktail were great.Special Features:
- Going the Extra MileOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2013Seattle True Foodies made a Saturday night excursion for our Table for Six Event. Thecfood received high marks by all. A bit noisy but we could all hear our conversation. Service was excellent, and the staff went an extra mile to make sure our party woul be happy. Dreaming about the cold asparagus soup, clams, and panna cotta. Will definitely return! Fun, fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/18/2013We booked a table for a large group - 8. Ended up in the "back room" which was also booked with a large group celebrating birthdays. The staff was attentive, but the group was very loud which made it difficult to converse with our own party. Also, it was odd to have our table in the same room with a party of 30+. That said, the food and service was excellent, and I would rather have shared the room than not gotten a reservation at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.