1412 East Union
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marjorierestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2064419842
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Davenport
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Marjorie delights in catering to your needs and the requirements of your off site gathering. We use high quality, fresh ingredients to create an array of delectable dishes. We offer drop off or pick-up service, as well as high end, attentive and detail oriented service to meet your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: The Annex is a private dining facility that comfortably seats up to 50 people. Smaller Parties can be accommodated in a semi-private setting, or can buy out the room to have complete privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Donna Moodie 2064419842
- Entertainment: Marjorie does not have live entertainment, but we are lively. The mix on the iPod and the Turntables in the Bathroom and Back Room provide guests with countless opportunities to spin while enjoying the animated atmosphere and culture at Marjorie.
- Cross Street: 14th and Union
- Public Transit: The number 2 makes a stop at 14th and Union. The number 8 and 11 are also close by. As regular Marjorie customer, the Bus Chick notes, Marjorie is easily accessible by a multitude of buses!
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample street parking, particularly to the south and east of the restaurant. Secured garage parking is also available in the Chloe Retail Parking Garage, on East side of 14th Avenue between Union and Madison.
A word from Marjorie Restaurant
Marjorie, the jewel box anchor on the corner of 14th and Union, is in Capitol Hill’s latest hot zone. Marjorie, the pride of owner, Donna Moodie, who is reknowned for urban trend-spotting while designing hip, urbane spaces. Marjorie’s kitchen creates amazing, delicious cuisine, using fresh, local, sustainable ingredients. Under the guidance of reknown Chef, Dustin Calery, Marjorie takes a respectful approach to eclectic cuisine, focusing on fabulous, high quality ingredients. At Marjorie, hospitality is as important as what's in the glass and on the plate. Attentive and caring service are qualities that keep Marjorie's guests returning. The charming, warm, hand crafted interior, complimented by a lovely courtyard patio await you. The recent addition of a second dining room, provides more seating and a great place to host a party. A warm interior, tremendous cuisine, and crafted cocktails are indeed how Marjorie feeds the soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Marjorie Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Marjorie Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (58)great for outdoor dining (49)romantic (30)special occasion (29)notable wine list (10)late-night find (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A gem on Union StreetdmwseattleDined on 4/4/2014We've been somewhat regulars at Marjorie, and just love the place. Donna (the owner) is a charming host, and her staff are always on top of everything. Our meal there last week was delightful, and the best dining there yet. The Spring dish of stinging nettle pasta was spectacular. We highly recommend this dining venue!Special Features:
- It has narrow menu. It isOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014It has narrow menu. It is a fun place to go, but are never satisfied with the food.Special Features:
- Great food and nice feel to itloveportofinoDined on 3/28/2014We met the owner, it's farm-to-table (I think mostly at least), and the food was fantastic. There doesn't seem to be an overall theme to the place, but that's good when you have people who are in the mood for anything or aren't all in the mood for one type. I will go back for sure! Not great for kids I don't think; the space is tight. There's an outdoor area that I bet is AMAZING in the summer.Special Features:
- A FindGaisheaDined on 3/9/2014Intimate setting, delicious food, great cocktails. Love this new spot. Maybe 10 tables? Unique and colorful decor (tin tables). You'll love it, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousdatenightDined on 3/8/2014Came here with my husband for the first time Saturday night. We had a reservation, but seats at the bar beckoned. Really enjoyed talking with the bartender, who made me a delicious blood orange margarita and was helpful with food recommendations. I ordered the stinging nettle fettuccine and my husband had the Stokesberry Farm chicken. Both were phenomenal. Wonderful overall experience. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we all had a wonderful timejticDined on 3/8/2014There was a large group of us celebrating a birthday and each and every one of us not only had fun but each of us raved about our wonderful service and food. The owner spent some time talking with us which was an added bonus. I feel like we were treated as real guests and we all would definitely return for another fabulous time!Special Features:
- Capital hill treasureAgk124VIPDined on 3/3/2014Marjorie truly is a neighborhood gem - I have never had a bad meal here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualKawinnieVIPDined on 2/20/2014Marjorie is an absolute gem. Never fails to live up to it's deserved reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, interesting menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/16/2014Good food, interesting menu. Like Italian meets Indian, but rather than "fusion" it's a compilation of options from both genres. But what stood out about our experience most was what occurred when we first arrived: a young woman entered the dining room from the back area and embraced a cook in the open kitchen who was wearing a SeaHawks jersey (not particularly what you want to see your cooks wearing for a nice dinner...), and the two of them started hugging/smooching/etc. First thing we see when we enter, visible to everyone. It was completely unprofessional, and that kind of carelessness for professionalism makes you wonder about the care they give your food. I would say Marjorie is just okay, but probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
- Never again.caphillresidentDined on 2/14/2014Simply awful. The service was rude, the food was subpar, and the ambiance was horrible.
- ValentinerainierVIPDined on 2/14/2014Special Valentine's Day menu was worth the price. The quality, flavor and presentation was worth the set price. Not many restaurants in Seattle can pull this off as nicely, we will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overallRayBDined on 2/8/2014This is a fun neighborhood restaurant. We had a nice night out. My only issue was the salt of the sauce on the Sole dish. I was disappointed it was salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!Dinner42Dined on 2/2/2014We ate there during the Super Bowl so there was no crowd and I can't assess the noise. The food was delish! The staff was friendly, thoughtful, helpful and informed. The ambiance was perfect - as expected from the photos. Plantain chips, papusas. . . So many good appetizers we made a meal of them. Can't wait to go back! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedSergDined on 1/31/2014Heard about this restaurant from a friend and decided to make a reservation. The property is taken of good care and clean. Inside, the atmosphere is very warming and inviting. Good seating arrangements. Food was AMAZING! This is not your average "American food" restaurant. This restaurant has a daily menu of freshly made to order plates. Everything was very fresh and tasted amazing. I call them "the banana chips with salsa", those were just delish. Service is great too. The only thing I wish is the food was served a bit faster but can understand it taking a bit because everything is made to order, they don't have plates of food laying around. Definitely coming back and will pass on my word to friends! You guys rock! Thank you, SergSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Capitol Hill restaurantooooDined on 1/29/2014Great Capitol Hill restaurant with friendly staff and owner, good food and wine, nice ambiance. An easy and relaxing place to dine at a reasonable costSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was lovely but wenanceVIPDined on 1/18/2014The food was lovely but we were sitting in the back room & on top of crowd noise they turned the music on & it was so loud we couldn't carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Table for FourPerfectionDined on 1/11/2014We met our friends at Marjories to celebrate their wedding. The place is cozy, the staff friendly and helpful, the food delicious. We had a long evening starting with a couple of appetizers including the famous plantain chips. Donna, the owner, came out to talk with us and gave an update on how getting them to market is going. We have mutual friends so it was a delight to finally meet her. I don't drink so had one of their mocktails made with lime and coconut juice, it was very tasty. The main courses were enjoyed by everyone, we had pasta, fish, duck, all great, as were the deserts. They make their own ice cream, and we had that day's special, chocolate smoked chiplotle, Yum! We left full and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both the bread pudding andMaliaDined on 1/10/2014Both the bread pudding and plantains chips came highly recommended by friends and I have to agree! I had the duck, which was delicious. Bravo, Chef Dustin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plantain chips were goodWendyDDined on 1/7/2014Appetizer was good, plantain chips with a avocado-pineapple guacamole. Service was oddly inattentive and unprofessional. Cozy location, small space, hard seats.
- A very nice experience. TheyjobaDined on 1/7/2014A very nice experience. They are proud of their wine list $$$$. Menu innovative.Special Features:
- RaymondRaymondDined on 12/31/2013I highly recommend this restaurant. Everything about the evening was great. The owner comes out and chats with eveyone to make sure they're happy and satisfied. Met many return customers and people that have followed her throughout her move here in Seattle. That alone speaks volumes for this happy place. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Another great meal at Marjorie'sHandsomeBobsCaretakerDined on 12/31/2013Four of us went for NYE dinner and as usual, we loved it. We ended up seated in the back room (didn't know they had it and its awesome!) and really had a great meal, amazing service and everything was terrific. Keep up the great work Marjorie team!Special Features:
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013it was amazing! i loved going there !!!! it is my favorite restaurant !!!!!! the setting of the restaurant is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From making the reservationStevenDined on 12/16/2013From making the reservation to the fantastic food and bread pudding dessert, it was all excellent!Special Features:
- Definitely Top 5 in SeattlesonofchaosDined on 12/6/2013Just WOW! The flavors and diversity of foods were inspiring. So sorry I have not gone before this. Looking forward to many future dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marjorie a big hit!teddyDined on 12/2/2013We celebrated a milestone birthday with 11 folks the other evening. Service was fantastic and, as usual, the food was delightful! I pre-ordered appetizers for the table and they were a big hit. And, all meals came out at relatively the same time -- No easy feat! Bravo Marjorie! Thanks for making this a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My fav dinner spot in seattleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2013Every time I visit Seattle I make a point of dining at marjorie. The food is always fresh and creative, the owner charming and the service understated, friendly and professional. I love Marjorie!Special Features:
- Food & Service - ExcellentjamwilsonVIPDined on 11/16/2013Second time at Marjorie & it was terrific both times. Food is well prepared & tasty with service being that perfect combination of friendly and the right amount of attentiveness. The only drawback is the place is small & tables are very close together - more a European feel. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Always greatSaoirseVIPDined on 11/9/2013One of my favorite restaurants, never disappoints. Great service, great food, a very chilled place. Love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will returnLauraDined on 11/1/2013We love Marjorie and have been many times, sometimes sitting at the bar for dinner or if our party is bigger, it the back room, which is cozy and much quieter than the front room. Our service was great and so was our waitress, apps were delicious, but we were somewhat disappointed in our main meals for the first time. One person in our party had the duck and rated it "excellent" but the other three gave the main course just an "ok" rating. We will return to Marjorie, but this was the first time we were so so on our main course.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service was MehJasonDined on 10/23/2013A friend and I went here for dinner for Restaurant Week. The food was delicious -- and it came out of the kitchen quickly. The problem was that we felt very rushed by the waitress. While she was very polite and attentive, we were not even two bites into dessert when she delivered the check ("No rush, I'll take care of it when you're ready"). We're used to waiting until we're actually done with dessert to get a check and maybe check in with us to see if we wanted coffee or anything else before delivering the bill. I understand wanting fast turn around for Restaurant Week but I'm sure they could have done it a bit more subtly. Other than that, the experience was great.Special Features:
- WHen someone said MarjoriemaryDined on 10/22/2013WHen someone said Marjorie was intimate, I assumed quiet & cozy. Cozy is correct but quiet is not. Space is very small, cooperation needed (and kind of fun) with tables near you to get you and your food in and out. Had the scallop crudo appetizer which was great - fresh, light very flavorful. Other outstanding dish was the Pork Shoulder which had wonderful flavor but way too little greens. We also had the beet salad which was good but nothing unusual, and the Risotto with chanetrelles that was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful restaurantCarolynDined on 10/20/2013Charming, inviting and really good food. Especially wonderful desserts. The staff took great care of us. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited MenuPawsterDined on 10/18/2013The menu was full of unpasturized cheeses. Our pizza was worse than cheap takeout, the salad was not great. everything seemed very hodge podge-- ESP in the weird back room where the wall kept rattling. The cook and the waitress had a small argument about what was even in the gnocchi. definitely not going back.
- Delicious, eclectic, adult funkyGabrielleVIPDined on 10/18/2013Sumptuous food, eclectic decor and wonderful service! We were in the back room where the noise level is lower, allowing for a wonderful chat. We asked our server for recommendations and each dish was perfect. Plantains (get a half portion for 2 people), divers scallops ceviche, lamb sausage, black Skinned cod, romasc (?spelling, like broccoli but better) and for dessert chocolate cake with bay ice cream. The coffee was ok. We'd recommend Marjorie's to anyone who loves food!eSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All of our food was amazingGoodfoodDined on 10/18/2013All of our food was amazing but the mushroom pappardelle was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef-Cooked Food + At-Home AmbiancePeachInSeattleVIPDined on 10/17/2013Went to Marjorie for SRW because from what I saw on Yelp, it was a pretty popular place with great food and is normally $$$. I had never heard of it but had walked by the main intersection a few times. It is nestled underneath an apartment/condo complex and looks like a nursery (plants). I'm normally not a fish person but I decided to get the seared rockfish and it was SO BUTTERY. It was probably the best fish I've ever had: not fishy tasting and very buttery. This place is a must-go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week delightKellGavDined on 10/16/2013We ate in the back room at a single table that had three parties of two at it--this was a bit awkward. The music was great, but loud, and it was difficult to hear each other across the table. The food was very delicious and the service was friendly. We eventually began chatting with the other parties at our table, and even switched our seating arrangement so we sat next to our dates, which made a huge difference when it came to the noise and hearing conversation. Not sure if Marjorie usually seats folks in the back or if it is typically for larger parties, but it wasn't the best for two people. Food, cocktails, service were all quite excellent. This is out of our price range but it was such a treat to go during Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- DelishlovetodineVIPDined on 10/15/2013The food was good and the service was good too. however, i didn't care for the seating in the back room. It was noisy and cold.Special Features:
- Pricey but goodJakeDined on 10/14/2013Went here during restaurant week. Excellent food (bread pudding dessert was awesome). Pricey though, s I'm not sure I would go outside of restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.