1412 East Union
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.marjorierestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2064419842x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Davenport
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Marjorie delights in catering to your needs and the requirements of your off site gathering. We use high quality, fresh ingredients to create an array of delectable dishes. We offer drop off or pick-up service, as well as high end, attentive and detail oriented service to meet your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: The Annex is a private dining facility that comfortably seats up to 50 people. Smaller Parties can be accommodated in a semi-private setting, or can buy out the room to have complete privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Donna Moodie 2064419842x
- Entertainment: Marjorie does not have live entertainment, but we are lively. The mix on the iPod and the Turntables in the Bathroom and Back Room provide guests with countless opportunities to spin while enjoying the animated atmosphere and culture at Marjorie.
- Cross Street: 14th and Union
- Public Transit: The number 2 makes a stop at 14th and Union. The number 8 and 11 are also close by. As regular Marjorie customer, the Bus Chick notes, Marjorie is easily accessible by a multitude of buses!
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample street parking, particularly to the south and east of the restaurant. Secured garage parking is also available in the Chloe Retail Parking Garage, on East side of 14th Avenue between Union and Madison.
A word from Marjorie Restaurant
Marjorie, the jewel box anchor on the corner of 14th and Union, is in Capitol Hill’s latest hot zone. Marjorie, the pride of owner, Donna Moodie, who is reknowned for urban trend-spotting while designing hip, urbane spaces. Marjorie’s kitchen creates amazing, delicious cuisine, using fresh, local, sustainable ingredients. Under the guidance of reknown Chef, Joseph Bollag, Marjorie takes a respectful approach to eclectic cuisine, focusing on fabulous, high quality ingredients. At Marjorie, hospitality is as important as what's in the glass and on the plate. Attentive and caring service are qualities that keep Marjorie's guests returning. The charming, warm, hand crafted interior, complimented by a lovely courtyard patio await you. The recent addition of a second dining room, provides more seating and a great place to host a party. A warm interior, tremendous cuisine, and crafted cocktails are indeed how Marjorie feeds the soul.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Marjorie Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Marjorie Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (61)great for outdoor dining (47)romantic (23)special occasion (22)good for groups (15)notable wine list (10)late-night find (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Excellentjac425Dined on 5/10/2014Marjorie was a real gem. The appetizers were excellent. I have never had plantains before but they were much better than chips and were severed with a great tomato/avocado dip. My halibut was perfectly cooked for me with an interesting sauce with fresh radishes. My son had the steak and it was cooked perfectly. Bread pudding was yummy for dessert. The owner stopped by to chat with our table. A lovely person. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Line up for this one!foodieVIPDined on 5/9/2014The ambience, energy and quality of food are all amazing. The intimate atmosphere made us feel as if we were having a very special dinner made just for us - even though the modest/little sized room was packed. Love the feel of this place! We are going back soon!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/29/2014Wonderful intimate restaurant. Plantain chips were delish, as were the cocktails, salads, lamb & chicken dishes. Great find!Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem!TTTTDined on 4/27/2014A great place to go with friends for an excellent meal and drinks at an affordable price. Love the plantain chips with guacamole appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeKawinnieVIPDined on 4/26/2014Can't do past it for a decent eat out in Seattle. Marjorie is an amazing host and the food in superb.Special Features:
- Cozy and ComfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2014We like to walk to Marjorie's where food and drinks are good any time of year but best in summer with the garage windows open and patio seating available. This cozy patio nestled in a courtyard but retaining a view of an urban street gets my vote for best in the city. Marjorie's bartender makes consistently great Old Fashions. While the menu changes seasonally we're glad the fresh baked plantain chips served with homemade pineapple guacamole is always available. On our latest visit we loved the gnocchi served with ox tail ragu and the nettle fettucini served with an unusual but delicious pesto. We recommend Marjorie, good food in a small, cozy, comfortable setting.Special Features:
- Amazing, especially desserts!kiwimasterDined on 4/17/2014Will need to say this place exceeded my expectations (food-wise) xD Wasn't expecting to taste something that's almost purely reliant on the organic taste of the food. Most food these days rely on lots of seasoning and processing (even if the ingredients are spectacular), but the food here: they taste.like.real.living.magical.food. I mean, seriously, you can taste the original essence of the food (because there aren't excessive seasoning), and it's so good that it's actually feeding the soul in addition to satisfying the taste buds. This might be my personal preference, but food like this is hard to find these days... The vegan dish i especially like :) And desserts are awesome! Caramel at its best! Large portion size too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2014Excellent service - food wonderful as always. I did order beef well done and had to send it back for further cooking but that happens to me almost everywhere - chefs do not like to cook meat (or fish) well done. Would like to see them go back to the dip for the plantains they use to serve. Look forward to the summer - perfect outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Neighbor Gem!!TTTTDined on 4/14/2014Marjorie's is an excellent addition to the Capitol Hill neighborhood. It's a great place to take in an excellent meal and drink while enjoying the hill vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food combinationsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/14/2014We enjoyed finding this small neighborhood restaurant during our visit to Seattle. The service was attentive and unhurried, the food choices inventive and delicious from appetizer to dessert. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooo Good!!QueenyDined on 4/14/2014The food was incredible. We went for Restaurant Week and ordered from the prix fix menu. We both got the cevice as an appetizer. It was too bland, but the plantain chips used to scoop it up were incredible. We both ordered the snapper for our main dish and it was PERFECT. The fish had a salty crust on it and was cooked perfectly. It was accompanied by greens and a parsnip puree. Both are desserts were really good (bread pudding and strawberry sorbet). I would highly recommend the bread pudding. Our drinks were also perfect. Our server wasn't all that great. She didn't seem present or engaged. Even though our particular server wasn't great, I gave it 5 stars because the food and drink were SO GOOD!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot on the HillSammyDined on 4/9/2014Marjorie is such a great little restaurant. Food, service and atmosphere were all wonderful. I can't wait to go back when the weather is warmer and the garage door walls are open. There is also a cute little patio.Special Features:
- This was my second time inwaytogoDined on 4/9/2014This was my second time in this restaurant and I was even more impressed than the first time. It was the first time for two of the five persons in our party and they were totally blown away by the steak entree and a dessert called Chocolate something or other. I am vegetarian and chose something called Kayla's Kichatri (sp?) with a side order of broccoli. In three words, I LOVED IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Eclectic SpotBubblesDined on 4/9/2014I went to Marjorie for the first time as part of Seattle Restaurant Week and had a great time. My dinner companions had frequented Marjorie when it was downtown and were already sold. I love little gems like this that are lively with a bit of eclectic funk.The pre~fixe menu was innovative and had very complimentary courses. The daily menu was also wonderful not to mention a great cocktail and wine list. I'm sure to go back for good food, fun ambience and friendly service.Special Features:
- Excellent, inventive cuisineSonomaWineDivaDined on 4/7/2014We dined during Restaurant Week. The jerk pork entree was classy and had just the right burn, enhanced by the hot pepper dipping sauce and the Caribbean-style peas 'n' rice and greens. The seared sole was seared snapper the night we dined, but also first-rate. Only flaw is the seriously expensive wine list. There's no excuse to have just ONE bottle under $40 in a restaurant where regular entrees are mostly under $25. We did take the $36 Prosecco rosé, which did fine throughout the meal and felt festive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem on Union StreetdmwseattleDined on 4/4/2014We've been somewhat regulars at Marjorie, and just love the place. Donna (the owner) is a charming host, and her staff are always on top of everything. Our meal there last week was delightful, and the best dining there yet. The Spring dish of stinging nettle pasta was spectacular. We highly recommend this dining venue!Special Features:
- It has narrow menu. It isOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014It has narrow menu. It is a fun place to go, but are never satisfied with the food.Special Features:
- Great food and nice feel to itloveportofinoDined on 3/28/2014We met the owner, it's farm-to-table (I think mostly at least), and the food was fantastic. There doesn't seem to be an overall theme to the place, but that's good when you have people who are in the mood for anything or aren't all in the mood for one type. I will go back for sure! Not great for kids I don't think; the space is tight. There's an outdoor area that I bet is AMAZING in the summer.Special Features:
- A FindGaisheaDined on 3/9/2014Intimate setting, delicious food, great cocktails. Love this new spot. Maybe 10 tables? Unique and colorful decor (tin tables). You'll love it, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousdatenightDined on 3/8/2014Came here with my husband for the first time Saturday night. We had a reservation, but seats at the bar beckoned. Really enjoyed talking with the bartender, who made me a delicious blood orange margarita and was helpful with food recommendations. I ordered the stinging nettle fettuccine and my husband had the Stokesberry Farm chicken. Both were phenomenal. Wonderful overall experience. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we all had a wonderful timejticDined on 3/8/2014There was a large group of us celebrating a birthday and each and every one of us not only had fun but each of us raved about our wonderful service and food. The owner spent some time talking with us which was an added bonus. I feel like we were treated as real guests and we all would definitely return for another fabulous time!Special Features:
- Capital hill treasureAgk124VIPDined on 3/3/2014Marjorie truly is a neighborhood gem - I have never had a bad meal here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualKawinnieVIPDined on 2/20/2014Marjorie is an absolute gem. Never fails to live up to it's deserved reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, interesting menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/16/2014Good food, interesting menu. Like Italian meets Indian, but rather than "fusion" it's a compilation of options from both genres. But what stood out about our experience most was what occurred when we first arrived: a young woman entered the dining room from the back area and embraced a cook in the open kitchen who was wearing a SeaHawks jersey (not particularly what you want to see your cooks wearing for a nice dinner...), and the two of them started hugging/smooching/etc. First thing we see when we enter, visible to everyone. It was completely unprofessional, and that kind of carelessness for professionalism makes you wonder about the care they give your food. I would say Marjorie is just okay, but probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
- Never again.caphillresidentDined on 2/14/2014Simply awful. The service was rude, the food was subpar, and the ambiance was horrible.
- ValentinerainierVIPDined on 2/14/2014Special Valentine's Day menu was worth the price. The quality, flavor and presentation was worth the set price. Not many restaurants in Seattle can pull this off as nicely, we will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overallRayBDined on 2/8/2014This is a fun neighborhood restaurant. We had a nice night out. My only issue was the salt of the sauce on the Sole dish. I was disappointed it was salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!Dinner42Dined on 2/2/2014We ate there during the Super Bowl so there was no crowd and I can't assess the noise. The food was delish! The staff was friendly, thoughtful, helpful and informed. The ambiance was perfect - as expected from the photos. Plantain chips, papusas. . . So many good appetizers we made a meal of them. Can't wait to go back! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedSergDined on 1/31/2014Heard about this restaurant from a friend and decided to make a reservation. The property is taken of good care and clean. Inside, the atmosphere is very warming and inviting. Good seating arrangements. Food was AMAZING! This is not your average "American food" restaurant. This restaurant has a daily menu of freshly made to order plates. Everything was very fresh and tasted amazing. I call them "the banana chips with salsa", those were just delish. Service is great too. The only thing I wish is the food was served a bit faster but can understand it taking a bit because everything is made to order, they don't have plates of food laying around. Definitely coming back and will pass on my word to friends! You guys rock! Thank you, SergSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Capitol Hill restaurantooooDined on 1/29/2014Great Capitol Hill restaurant with friendly staff and owner, good food and wine, nice ambiance. An easy and relaxing place to dine at a reasonable costSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was lovely but wenanceVIPDined on 1/18/2014The food was lovely but we were sitting in the back room & on top of crowd noise they turned the music on & it was so loud we couldn't carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Table for FourPerfectionDined on 1/11/2014We met our friends at Marjories to celebrate their wedding. The place is cozy, the staff friendly and helpful, the food delicious. We had a long evening starting with a couple of appetizers including the famous plantain chips. Donna, the owner, came out to talk with us and gave an update on how getting them to market is going. We have mutual friends so it was a delight to finally meet her. I don't drink so had one of their mocktails made with lime and coconut juice, it was very tasty. The main courses were enjoyed by everyone, we had pasta, fish, duck, all great, as were the deserts. They make their own ice cream, and we had that day's special, chocolate smoked chiplotle, Yum! We left full and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both the bread pudding andMaliaDined on 1/10/2014Both the bread pudding and plantains chips came highly recommended by friends and I have to agree! I had the duck, which was delicious. Bravo, Chef Dustin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plantain chips were goodWendyDDined on 1/7/2014Appetizer was good, plantain chips with a avocado-pineapple guacamole. Service was oddly inattentive and unprofessional. Cozy location, small space, hard seats.
- A very nice experience. TheyjobaDined on 1/7/2014A very nice experience. They are proud of their wine list $$$$. Menu innovative.Special Features:
- RaymondRaymondDined on 12/31/2013I highly recommend this restaurant. Everything about the evening was great. The owner comes out and chats with eveyone to make sure they're happy and satisfied. Met many return customers and people that have followed her throughout her move here in Seattle. That alone speaks volumes for this happy place. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Another great meal at Marjorie'sHandsomeBobsCaretakerDined on 12/31/2013Four of us went for NYE dinner and as usual, we loved it. We ended up seated in the back room (didn't know they had it and its awesome!) and really had a great meal, amazing service and everything was terrific. Keep up the great work Marjorie team!Special Features:
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013it was amazing! i loved going there !!!! it is my favorite restaurant !!!!!! the setting of the restaurant is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From making the reservationStevenDined on 12/16/2013From making the reservation to the fantastic food and bread pudding dessert, it was all excellent!Special Features:
- Definitely Top 5 in SeattlesonofchaosDined on 12/6/2013Just WOW! The flavors and diversity of foods were inspiring. So sorry I have not gone before this. Looking forward to many future dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.