255 Elm St
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saloondavis.com/
- Phone: 6176284444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 1:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Derek Clough
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Contact: Tracy Witkin 6176284444
A word from Saloon
Located in the heart of Davis Square, Saloon is inspired by the iconic New York City pre-prohibition establishment. With a focus on brown liquors and local beers, Saloon calls reference to a time when drinks were serious and uncomplicated. In the early 1900s, the saloon was the standard institution prominently found on street corners across major cities in young America. The bar program at Saloon features whiskey-based cocktails inspired by the era's classic drinks. Chef Derek Clough has created a menu intended for sharing that combines historic American fare with contemporary favorites. A native New Englander, Executive Chef Derek Clough has created a menu at Saloon that is inspired by the historic American fare that was brought to the US through European colonization. Infused with modern day elements, the result is a menu that pays tribute to the culinary story of the pre-prohibition United States. Enter through a sleek wood door underneath the blinking Davis Square Theatre sign.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Saloon - Best Restaurants in Somerville ›
Saloon reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (19)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (15)late-night find (14)hot spot (10)romantic (9)special occasion (8)good for groups (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- UniqueCrashCondoVIPDined on 11/25/2013I've been to a lot of restaurants. The only word that comes to mind to describe this place is unique. Unique in many aspects, food, drinks, ambiance, service, decor, this place has it all and delivers high grades for each. Try the bacon wrapped dates and feta! Mind boggling good! The truffle fries will make you weep! One hint. There is no external sign for this place. It's kind of speakeasy-ish. The entrance is an unassuming brown door. adjacent to the Foundry. Go. Go now.Special Features:
- Unexpectedly deliciousFoodieVIPDined on 11/23/2013There's a limited menu but everything we ordered was delicious. Especially the fig appetizer, the risotto and Hake in phyllo. The to-die-for warm chocolate cake topped it off. The cocktail and whiskey list is extensive. A little loud but fun atmosphere. The hostess was a hoot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for drinks. Good is not greatGeminetixDined on 11/21/2013A bit overpriced but the drinks are good. I don't recommend this place if your looking for a satisfying meal.Special Features:
- First a heads-up - they haveBobGVIPDined on 11/18/2013First a heads-up - they have a limited food menu on Monday & Tuesday night. We didn't know that going in and it might have influenced our decision to dine here. Three of us dined and two of us enjoyed our meals greatly. The 'devils on horseback' were a highlight. The 'warm brassica salad' was heavy on broccoli rabe, light on the other brassicas and mostly left on the plate.
- Great SpeakeasymdemopDined on 11/10/2013Would siggest going back on any visit to Boston. The punch in the flask in awesome as is their mint julup.Special Features:
- great food knowledgeable wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2013Had a great date night with my husband, very rich meal. Some may say portions were small, but I thought they were just right so we didn't leave feeling stuffed. Fabulous drink menu, unexpected combinations that were spot on! I will be trying to replicate at home! Perfect place for when its cold outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night outSteveDined on 11/8/2013We received a gift card for a wedding gift. We have lived in Somerville for 3 years now and have never been to Saloon. We would certainly recommend it to anyone looking to try new and exciting food options. The menu is small but each item is handled with excellence. Book ahead though, the Saloon gets busy quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very fun nightJeffDined on 11/1/2013Had a very good experience. They do get very crowded so I recommend reservationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd Visit for Dinner; Still GoodEdwardVIPDined on 11/1/2013I love the ambiance, booths, and cocktails at Saloon. The food options are also right in line with my tastes. I will say my pork shoulder dinner this time was a little flat in taste, but my wife really enjoyed the short rib and the charcuterie plate was very good. Cocktails are very tasty but at $10+ a pop could be slightly larger; some are barely over a jigger including mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Though the food was very goodBonVivantVIPDined on 10/28/2013Though the food was very good they really need more menu choices, and maybe invest in a few wine glasses. Red wine should NEVER be served in a straight, stemless whiskey glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeLoveWinsDined on 10/18/2013Saloon is hard to find but once you do, you'll be back. The stately yet cozy atmosphere will remind you of an English pub. The food is simple and delicious. The drinks are inventive. I love bringing out-of-town guests here and they always ask to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place, nice decor; but...flangaDined on 10/18/2013... parking in and around Davis Square is horrible. allow plenty of extra time, if you're arriving by car. the T's Davis Square stop on the Red Line is a better option. ... the entrance is totally unmarked (carrying the 'speakeasy' theme a bit too far, IMHO). A small plaque, a street number sign, something, *anything* would be better than the nondescript unmarked entrance they have. ... the menu is limited --- it's more of a watering hole than a restaurant --- but what's there is tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!AishaDined on 10/13/2013Though the noise level was surprisingly loud for a Sunday night, the food was delicious, the service was great, and the cocktails were sublime. We shared the charcuterie plate and two amazing pizzettas. The only thing missing for me was a description of what cocktail ingredients were - most I had never heard of. I went on faith and loved what I got, though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu emphasis is heavily onnew2svilleDined on 10/12/2013Menu emphasis is heavily on the drink selection which is excellent. Food menu is somewhat limited and fairly expensive, portions run to the small side, but it was good quality, prepared and delivered quickly, service was very good even on a Saturday night at 7pm. It's pretty loud though. Bill ran to $40 per person with one drink each. Bread for the table was an extra $5. This is more of a hotspot for drinkers, but we had a good time.Special Features:
- Food was fair and very overpriced.RobinVIPDined on 10/7/2013My husband had the NY strip which was small and very gristly. I had the risotto special with mushroom and short rib. Plenty of mushroom shy on the meat. I ate the meat and a bit of the risotto but it was just gross. Mushrooms were slimy and way too many of them. This place is great for drinks, but for dinner I would recommend The Foundry next door.Special Features:
- Surprisingly good food; great sceneWhats4DinnerVIPDined on 10/5/2013Salmon, cod, and sirloin special were surprisingly good. Loved the leather booths, exposed brick, and soft lighting! Great draft beer list. A little pricey, but the food is much higher quality than the typical bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I want to love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/24/2013I keep going back hoping the service will get better. I've had a few good experiences but the last few have not been great. I use to blame it on weekends vs. weekdays, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. This time, we couldn't even eat our charcuterie because they gave us a tiny half loaf of bread. We had 3 pieces each. We left most of the food on the plate and a runner just took it away. We would have *tried* to ask for more bread but we didn't see a server for, literally, over an hour. No one asked how our food was or if we wanted more cocktails (we did!). So, we sat with an empty table, with just water glasses, for basically 1 - 1.5hrs before we could give up, flag down our waitress, and get a check.
- Great atmosphereYummyMummyDined on 9/19/2013Love the speak-easy atmosphere and the too-cool-for-school vibe. Even though it reeked of hipster, I felt really comfortable hanging out with another mommy friend for dinner. Great food, excellent drink list (esp. love the "Hipster Cans" section of the drink menu, which included PBR and 'Gansett), and overall fun experience!Special Features:
- basement jem with forgotten charm.ConantDined on 9/12/2013For an excellent selection of whiskey, bourbon, and top-shelf hard stuff, this is a great place to meet people who are in the mood for a good time. The waitresses were attentive and eager to serve-----and why not? the drinks are on the expensive side, but the atmosphere is unique; a throw-back to classic joints that were common before the eighties.........perhaps as far-back as the twenties?? The food menu is an after-thought, and it really isn't a place for dinner. If you're interested in impressing your date, this likely isn't the place on the first night-----but perhaps on the third??? cocktails were well made. Gin selection is very good, but limited to three---vodka selection is quite limited as well----room for improvement there.Special Features:
- Hidden GemDawnQDined on 9/7/2013I didn't know this restaurant existed until a friend took me (it's hidden in Davis Square), but I am so glad I found it! The food was amazing (I got the short rib and pecan pie dessert) and the staff was beyond friendly, plus it has great ambiance. Basically, it lives up to its name and actually looks like a saloon - haha. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSBOBDined on 8/29/2013Great food and atmosphere. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prohibition never tasted so goodCooken79Dined on 8/7/2013Tlhere is a playful atmosphere and a great interior. Love the ambience. The age is late 20's and up, perfect for us post-post-college crowd. The drink list is vast and it's fun to choose a cocktail that fits your mood. If you're a whiskey drinker you have come home! Any type and variety you could hope for are laid out for you on butcher paper. And of course, for you beer drinkers, that list is great too. Our server was attentive and helpful in choosing drinks and food. She had an answer for every liquor question we asked and her food recommendations were on the money. My chicken entree was succulent and satisfying. Dessert was large and delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meh.sockmonkey00Dined on 7/24/2013This place looks amazing and the drinks are really great and affordable. Food was pretty blah which was surprising and the menu was pretty limited. Not bad, but I wouldn't eat here again. Great place to meet for a drink and then head somewhere else. The service was BRUTAL but I feel like they had one girl covering the entire place. She was very nice and a great waitress, just overworked.Special Features:
- The bar area is lively andazulitaDined on 7/13/2013The bar area is lively and full of people on the Saturday night we enjoyed there. I prefer a space where I can talk to my table-mate and luckily, they had just the thing in a section just off the bar. The person who waited on us was charming, anticipated our needs well and didn't interrupt conversations unnecessarily, an extraordinary talent that I value. We ordered the charcuterie and the sliders. The mustard in the charcuterie was fantastic (you don't usually get surprised by that) as was the proscuitto. The sliders were also an amazing choice, full of flavor, tender and moist. Overall, my friend and I had a wonderful time catching up, enjoying good food at a location that was convenient for us both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rock solidOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2013It was a quiet Monday night so we had a corner to ourselves. After a couple of their fantastic cocktails we ordered some dinner. I won' detail our choices but they were inventive, perfectly executed and delicious. As soon as I got home I emailed a foodie friend with the details of the meal. That good. The waitress was cool, helpful and just present enough. I love the space, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, and very loudbobocatVIPDined on 6/18/2013Haven't been there for an year as last time we went in, service was painfully slow so we thought to give it a try again. The atmosphere was good, nice to relax to have some drinks if you are not in the hurry. they have very good drinks selections, though disappointed with the food. Our server was nice and friendly but service was really slow. It took almost an hour by the time we get our main course. Won't go back for food again but maybe some drinks. Also the place is very loud, hard to have a conversation.
- Great food & they know cocktailsMagsVIPDined on 6/18/2013Small, concise menu. Extensive beer & spirits list. Generally delightful service. Always good to us when we say 'pre show' - they can get you in and out quickly - or let you linger over delicious drinks. Go.Special Features:
- Excellent.presbyterianDined on 6/8/2013I had heard about Saloon's amazing cocktails, but I honestly wasn't entirely sure what the food situation would be. The guest of honor in our party (a groom-to-be) is a true foodie, so I was kind of gambling on the food being good... We were not disappointed. The food was fantastic across the board (especially the bacon-wrapped dates!), and it was all a huge hit with the groom. The drinks were also exemplary, as expected. (Thanks for the recipe for the stylized Presbyterian!) Finally, the service was fantastic. The whole table appreciated the responsive, considerate service from Ariel, our server. She also pretended that our jokes were funny, which was especially kind. Basically, this was a huge win all around. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating to groupshoboVIPDined on 5/25/2013I came here for my birthday with a reservation, but 3 people bailed and 1 was late. The waitstaff was very accommodating to this wrinkle in the plan. Some people got salmon, the vegetarian got the risotto, and many regulars recommended the steak which they ordered. I love burgers so I got the trio of sliders. I was pretty disappointed that the sliders were completely well done while I had ordered it medium rare. This was not just a fluke on my order, everybody (I think 3 in total) else who ordered the burger also didn't have them cooked to temperature. The steaks, however, seemed to be perfectly cooked. Also, it took quite a while to serve the drinks and to pick up the check. It's still a great spot if you have a big group.Special Features:
- Date night :)VivianDined on 5/25/2013We went to Saloon for our date night, followed by seeing the Great Gatsby. The atmosphere was excellent as were the drinks, and I was really surprised that the food was very good as well! They really have hit the trifecta. This is a very fun place and a nice change from our usual, more kid-friendly fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks definitely. Food not so muchhockiemackVIPDined on 5/18/2013Saloon is an awesome scene. It's got that dark, sexy, old-fashioned vibe that truly made me feel I was in the prohibition era. The whiskey list and cocktails are fantastic. I love coming here for drinks. Food... not so much. It's a short and expensive food menu that didn't quite impress my palate. We had the stuffed dates wrapped in bacon and the trio of small burgers (blanking on the name). Everything tasted well, but wasn't memorable. I'd rather go somewhere else for food, but definitely hit up the saloon bar for drinks after!Special Features:
- Great mood setter for Great Gatsby!oerquiagaDined on 5/10/2013Great service, fun ambience, wonderful service. Impressive help with finding wheelchair accessible features.Special Features:
- Hidden gem--literally hiddenLauraDined on 5/4/2013Very difficult to find--the only sign for the restaurant is on a small light outside the door. The food was good, although the dipping sauce for the special appetizer that we ordered was bland. Our server was great but I gave the service 3 stars because food runners tried to deliver something to our table that we didn't order twice during our meal. The short ribs were amazing. The strawberry and rhubarb crisp was too runny and had the consistency of apple sauce, but tasted great. I'd definitely return, just for the interesting ambiance and the short ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accomodating for lastOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013Very accomodating for last minute additions to our already large group on a busy Saturday night. Food was very good and exceeded our expectations. Cocktails were fantastic.Special Features:
- Best. Martini. Ever. No,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013Best. Martini. Ever. No, seriously... just a vodka martini with 3 olives… and it was the finest cocktail I've ever tasted. And that was the opening act. Then the food came... lamb so tender it fell off the bone with a harsh glance, let alone using any utensils. The portions were less than my voracious appetite normally call for, but I may be an exception. The plating was artfully done, showcasing the entree without hiding the sauce and sides. MY ONE COMPLAINT: They need some frickin' fiberglass panels in there. It was a tolerable din when we sat down, but by the time the dessert menu was offered we were screaming just to be heard. I can't imagine what that place would be like with live music…Special Features:
- speakeasy style bar/restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2013speakeasy style bar/restaurant with a large cocktail list. The food choices aren't extensive, but there is something for everyone. Very neat atmosphere and style. Louder than anticipated, but it didn't seem too loud.Special Features:
- Service and food were verykickVIPDined on 4/16/2013Service and food were very good. Just a very limited menu. A good spot to have a drink or a bite before the theater.
- No Coffee?OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2013Everything was great except for the very odd fact that they don't offer coffee. We found that hard to believe in a bar where many cocktails are coffee based and coffee can really help sober someone up before you send them out the door. The server's reason made no sense as she told us the kitchen does not have hot water. Obviously the coffee maker would heat the water. The desserts were really lacking in flavor largely because we didn't have a hot cup of coffee to enjoy them with (we ordered all three desserts). Instead we had table water. How hard is it to buy a coffee maker?Special Features:
- We got to Salon for a 7:00OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2013We got to Salon for a 7:00 dinner and it was quite. By the time we were finished with dinner at 8:30 the place was filling up and getting a little crowded and noisy. Diffidently a later night crowd. Food was great.Special Features:
- Excellent whiskey selection,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/6/2013Excellent whiskey selection, at least if your taste runs towards Bourbon / Rye / Tennessee. The short irish and scotch list also had some gems and rarities. Very nice ambiance, low key music . Tasted only the finger food menu, was quite good but no surprises. Observed at least three birthday parties.Special Features: