The Society Restaurant & Lounge
8229 Georgia Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20910Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Society Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.societyss.com/
- Phone: 3015658864
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Thurs: 3:30pm - 12:00am, Friday 3:30pm - 2:00am
Saturday 2:30pm - 2:00am Sunday Brunch 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday Dinner 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sit down or buffet service
- Private Party Facilities: Call us today to hear about our wide variety of private dining options! Society Restaurant and Lounge has one private dining room and one semi private lounge area, in which we are able to accommodate a maximum of 16 seated in private room and 20 reception style.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Waskewich 8776496361
- Entertainment: Live Music - Tuesday through Thursday
DJ - Friday and Saturday
Call the restaurant for schedule or more information. There is a two hour table limit policy enforced for all reservations made before 8 PM. Please understand that this only being done to accommodate other diners. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
- Special Events: Reggae Tuesday every week
"Secret Society" Live band every Thursday
Friday Nights featuring various artist Live Music
Saturday Nights Come Listen to our DJ Spin
A word from The Society Restaurant & Lounge
Sunday brunch, dinner, out door dining and a full late night lounge experience in an upscale dining environment. Our cuisine combines classic American fare with authentic Caribbean flavors. Special menu features include Caribbean Jerk Chicken, Red Snapper and Homemade Bread Pudding. We also feature live entertainment every Tuesday through Thursday and a DJ on Fridays and Saturdays. Society restaurant and lounge is inspired by our deep love of people, community and hearty food. We celebrate the achievements of past and present influences and promote collective involvement to advance our local community. Come and grab a drink. Stay for dinner. We welcome you to experience the best of who we are, where we go and what we eat. Ask us about our corporate happy hour specials and birthday party packages.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Society Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (7)neighborhood gem (7)good for groups (6)romantic (5)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)special occasion (4)great for outdoor dining (4)fit for foodies (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Hot SpotDedeDined on 8/20/2013Great place to meet with friends and mingle with a mature crowd. Food and service was great. Music was EXCEPTIONAL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ehh, OK I guessFoodLoverDined on 8/9/2013Dined @ Society Lounge on a friday night. Celebrated 3yr wedding anniversary. Ceasar salad-perfect. Had the snapper, hubby the pasta. Fish too salty but perfectly portioned. Rice & peas bland but cooked. Spinach left a sort of odd taste in mouth. Hubby's shrimp & chicken were fresh, noodles al dente, but sadly sauce was cheap tasting, like a kid's bbq spaghetti recipe. Drinks-phenomenal. Society Lounge is NOT stingy with the liquor. My O-44 was delish! Will definitely return to SL, but will prob stick to drinks & appetizers. Prices a tiny bit higher than I like, but expected for the area. Live music a plus. Be careful w/ valet-we were told $7, but car behind us charged $10 & they were in a similar sized make/model, not some hard 2 park TKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2013Great restaurant. Stopped by for Happy Hour. The staff was great. Atmosphere wonderful. I'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best location ever!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2013This lounge is worthy of being in DC, but found right in the middle of downtown Silver Spring. One of the few lounges where when you make a reservation you can be seated and participate in the happy hour still. Prices are very reasonable 5 dollars for most drinks and of their appetizers. The manager came around and checked on the patron what is a very nice touch. The lounge itself is very chic and has a very nice vibe to it. Since I live in this area I've visited here about 6 times and I can honestly say that it doesn't get too crowded and I have no complaints. Definitely a neighborhood gem!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2013I can always count on a good time and excellent food at SL. Whether you are coupled-up, hanging with friends or flying solo - this is the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to put on the Air conditioner!OsagieDined on 6/25/2013The air condition was very low. When asked if it could be adjusted, the manager stated that she couldn't because it was a controlled air system. For an establishment that is fairly new, I find it difficult to believe that the air system could not be adequately adjusted. and I certainly wasn't the only one fanning myself repeatedly that night.
- Mostly Pleasant BrunchDCdaughter1Dined on 6/23/2013My friends and I were greeted by a cheerful server who initiated us on the Society's Brunch. After we all ent thumbs up on the endless Mimosas, we selected the to-order specialties, including sweet creamy grits with or without large grilled shrimp. We ventured over to the buffet which featured fresh and cooked vegetables, different kinds of seafood and meats, and ending in sweets. The restaurant's Caribbean influence was represented in the peas and rice and plantain. The one awkward moment we had was being asked to move to another table to accommodate a large party. Considering we obliged, I confirmed that the two hour limit policy would no longer apply. We were able to resume making this a pleasant place to brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchFirstimerDined on 6/16/2013This was our first time having food at this lounge. The food was excellent. The service was subpar and poor. The waitresses would come and take your drink order and either mess it up or forget you ordered a drink and we were just left hanging. It was a Buffett brunch so they couldn't mess that up. We had 2 waitresses and they were both the same. They never checked on us to see if we needed refills or if we were ok. They didn't even come and close out the check with us. We just left the payment on the table with only a 10% tip. They need to work on customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great discoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2013We wanted to go out to a nice place and not drive too far, so we ended up at the Society Lounge in Silver Spring - great discovery! Cheerful atmosphere, great food, excellent cocktails, tasteful décor and people were dressed nicely. What more could one want!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/11/2013Overall, great atmosphere -- lively and vibrant bar scene. Food can be hit or miss. Once I ordered the snapper and it was great, next time I ordered - it was oily and bland. Definitely a pick up spot for singles.Special Features:
- Overall experience was great,youngoldsoulDined on 6/5/2013Overall experience was great, but at times I felt like we were yelling over the music just to talk to the waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch Was a Positive ExperienceDineOut2MuchVIPDined on 6/2/2013We went for Sunday brunch and had a great experience. The food was enjoyable the Mimosas were bottomless the service was the best --- just like they say --- and the Caribbean music topped everything off. There was a nice variety of breakfast and lunch items so everyone should be able to find something. The food was kept covered and someone working the line would open the servers as you went by. This is a touch we definitely appreciated. Brittany was our server and she was very attentive but so was everyone else. No one went by our table without checking to see if a plate needed to be removed or our glasses needed to be topped off. Make sure to try the shrimp & grits and waffles.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemTaureanWomanDined on 5/24/2013I really like this place, it's my go to for happy hour and dinner if I feel like getting out but not going into the city. The drinks and service are on point and I especially love the live entertainment on Thursday and Fridays. My only gripe is the 2 hour time limit they allow you when you sit at the tables. This really takes away from the experience. They really need to come up with a better solution than this, I don't understand it. Other than that I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchFoodieVIPDined on 5/19/2013The food was good and I enjoyed the diverse spread offered, however it was a bit over priced. Our waitress was sooooo bad we asked her not to come back to the table and requested a new waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Silver Spring Gem!DoreeDined on 5/19/2013Absolutely loved Society's Brunch. Not only was the food delicious, but the ambience was great! Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service made us feel specialRickVIPDined on 5/9/2013The staff at Society is amazing. Very friendly and interested in making our meal pleasant. They were on the spot with everything and made sure that we were happy with our service and choices. Which we were. The food was also very good. We were only there for dinner, however the bar scene was happening and everyone looked like they were having a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice settingPickyDined on 5/7/2013Great ambiance and live music. The food was a little bland bit overall we had a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalTeamTatyanasDined on 5/4/2013Service was excellent. My server, Paris did a heck of a job. Extremely friendly and outgoing. The young lady that seated us was kind. The bouncers weren't overly imposing which is always nice. Pride in customer service is obvious. I thank you'll for that. The bar scene was intense. Beautiful and friendly people. Could use more t.v.'s though and the 2 hr seating limit, although understandable, should be revised. As a business owner, I truly understand the intent. Have to make money. Makes the customers feel rushed though. The d.j. was excellent as well. Overall, an exciting night. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Just Ok....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Overall a decent option in Silver Spring for food and good music after hours. Can improve in the area of customer service.Special Features:
- First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/17/2013The staff was super friendly. I like that. I was searching for some place different to take my sister for her bday, I had a count of 5 and had to call the day of to move it to 7. I followed guidelines and called by the 4hr window. Spoke with Samantha and she was great switched it and was so pleasant. When we got there the band was already playing, it was decent music. Certain meals could be a lil pricey for the amount of food you get. I expected larger portions. The waiter was nice, he did disappear a couple of times when we needed refills but not the biggest deal. The snapper was a GREAT size meal for your money and it was delicious. Gratuity is included for 5+ but I already saw that online.Special Features:
- Wonderful time. Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2013Wonderful time. Great food. Live Reggae band on Tuesday was awesome. Classy restaurant and the staff was very friendly.Special Features:
- Not a Fan!ShesSavvyVIPDined on 4/9/2013Food was bland and tasted store bought. Service was extremely poor.
- Nice Place for the first 2hrsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2013This place is nice... However only for the first two hours. After then you are forced away from your table. I continue to go back occasionally with hopes that this policy they try to enforce will sonn change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I especially enjoyed the old-schoolclassydinerDined on 4/5/2013I especially enjoyed the old-school music! Earth, Wind & Fire! Great experience! The food portions were very generous. So My friend and I shared the meal. The Salmon was perfect! Thank you for our pleasant waitress. She was very nice.Special Features:
- Tony (bartender) is the manWillDined on 3/7/2013Shouts out to Tony the bartender for taking special care of us and keeping the drinks flowing!Special Features:
- Be aware of the 2 hour table limitDCdiner08Dined on 3/1/2013I visited this restaurant on Thursday and then Friday of the following week, and my 1st visit was definitely better than the 2nd. Thursday night, my salmon was perfect and the service was great. Friday night, the marinara sauce for the fried mac & cheese balls was cold--like out of the refrigerator cold--my crab cake was dried out, and the server seemed rushed. There was supposed to be live music both nights at 9pm: Secret Society was a little late but sounded great on Thursday; whoever the band was on Friday was still setting up at 11pm... Because the restaurant is not huge, there is a 2 hour time-limit on the tables, which I understand but it was still a disappointment on Friday to be asked to leave before getting to hear the music.Special Features:
- Great spot for brunch. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/17/2013Great spot for brunch. Food was delicious. It was my first time at the restaurant and I would definitely go again. Great for small gatherings .Special Features:
- When the food is ok but theYummDined on 2/15/2013When the food is ok but the service is so poor the overall experience is affected. Maybe I should have just gone to the bar
- Society Lounge has great foodWaldenPHDDined on 2/14/2013Society Lounge has great food and a good atmosphere!Special Features:
- Making reservations is a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013Making reservations is a great option that enables you to have immediate setting. The Happy Hour specials and selections were above my expectations. Overall...considering this was my first visit, I will definitely be a returning guest.Special Features:
- Great as usual! Great drinks,CheriCoCoVIPDined on 1/31/2013Great as usual! Great drinks, great food, great crowd, and AWESOME music! Best to make a reservation and beware of the 2 hour limit on dinners. I HATE the 2 hour limit, so I usually talk to the manager ahead of time, so I am not bound by it. Who wants to have to rush their dinner and enjoyment?!Special Features:
- Food was great at the SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/20/2013Food was great at the Sunday Brunch, just a little slow in replenishing certain items.Special Features:
- Love this place! Caters toWaldenPHDDined on 1/20/2013Love this place! Caters to large groups, couples, and families. The brunch is very nice!Special Features:
- Happy Hour SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/15/2013I liked the atmosphere. Very intimate and cozy but still casual. I ordered the wings, I thought they could have been a little more spicier being Carribbean. Bartender took a while to bring me my food & drink. But it was nice for a Happy Hour. Prices were $5 so can't beat that for Happy Hour. Can get a little tight with big groups. Recommend making a reservation for dinner. The live reggae band was cool. A little loud for a small space but they were decent. Lots of Bob Marley songs:)Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere, good foodCheriCoCoVIPDined on 1/11/2013Nice atmosphere, good food and awesome drinks. Great for a group or for a date. The noise level can get a little high, so be prepared to raise your voice just a little.Special Features:
- Slow Service...not worth itFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 1/4/2013Service was horrible! it was slow and we had to let the hostess know we hadn't been acknowledged after about 15 minutes. Her response...."you haven't been helped either". I won't go back. Once the server did come she was great but no manager came over to apologize for our wait and they only have a 2 hour minimum per table.
- This was my third time atOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/31/2012This was my third time at Society Lounge, this time was for the New Year's Eve pre-party menu. Service: Terrible. First server, a young woman, disappeared without explanation. Second server, a young man, was aloof and disengaged. Took forever for our first glass of wine to arrive. Then, when we were still in the middle of our first course, out came our main dishes. This is a big problem and should NEVER happen for the prices being charged here. He shrugged and apologized. But the main courses just sat there getting cold while we tried to gulp down our first course. Main courses (tried fish and steak) were bland and nothing special. Finally a third server, a woman, came out and tried to save the day. She did her best and we appreciate
- Skip itOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/9/2012We went on a Sunday night during the football game. The restaurant bar was crowded with Redskins fans cheering on their team. This made for a very undesirable evening, as it was difficult to hear my companions during conversation. The restaurant is mostly concrete and metals. There is nothing to absorb the sound. I cant even imagine how a jazz band would sound in that environment. The food was bland and the menu uncreative. The staff unfriendly and inexperienced in the service industry. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone and most certainly will never return
- Food was good. Not the placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2012Food was good. Not the place to celebrate a birthday. Too noisy. Limited space/seating. When 10pm came they literally told us to leave as our table was reserved for 10pm and the party had arrived. We had ordered dessert but had not received it at this time. So rude. Won't to there again.Special Features:
- Don't Go On Wednesday NightsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/28/2012I made reservations on-line and when I arrived at the restaurant had to wait 5 mins and there were several tables open not sure why I had to wait 5 mins. Then once we got seated I asked the hostess for the special and she did not know and informed me she will be right back and when she returned, she still could not tells us about the special for the night. I asked her about the wine list and she said what ever is on the menu. I was so done at that point. When the food arrived it was cold. The night was not as good as I thought it was going to be. I will never go back on a Wednesday night again.Special Features: