164 South B Street
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vault164.com/
- Phone: 6503488164
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Mon-Thurs 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gerardo Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Vault 164
Welcome to Vault 164, located in the heart of downtown San Mateo. Set in the old Crocker Bank on the corner of 2nd and B, the décor uses many of the building"s antique vault pieces sprinkled throughout the dining room and bar. We feature an eclectic and contemporary American cuisine, using sustainable seafood and organic produce when possible. Stop by and enjoy our bourbon and maple glazed pork chop, served on sweet potato mash, or a savory Caramelized Onion, Applewood Smoked Bacon, and Cambozola Cheese Flatbread. We offer a wide range of aged steaks and whole roasted chicken, fresh pasta, and unique salads. Our bar is great place to meet friends or watch a game, and it features a variety of classic and new cocktails, handmade to perfection, a large selection of beers on tap, and over 20 wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Vault 164 - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Vault 164 reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)neighborhood gem (74)good for groups (65)special occasion (60)great for lunch (43)vibrant bar scene (38)romantic (23)hot spot (23)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Food was very good but theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/11/2014Food was very good but the restaurant is very noisy!Special Features:
- Great placeMackieDined on 4/4/2014The food was good. A little pricey, especially the drinks. Might go back again at a later date.Special Features:
- Definitely will be going back.ParkerDined on 4/2/2014This place is fantastic. The staff were really great. They treated us to a dessert after our order of the roasted chicken needed tweaking. Our waiter was great and the rest of waitstaff were very professional. We liove the interior of the building, the decor and the menu is so vast, there is something for everyone. Get the crabcakes, delicious. The flat bread was also very savory. The risotto was excellent...and yes, get the keylime pie! Definitely will be going back. Thanks.Special Features:
- Vault 164ElisabethDined on 4/1/2014The service was amazing - we were celebrating a friend's birthday but did not tell our server that we were there to celebrate. She noticed when she carded us that it had been her birthday the day before and brought us out a free dessert at the end of our meal to celebrate. Also, she had great recommendations for food and helped us decide to do family style so we could all share our plates. The ambience was great and the food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch spotSJFoodieDined on 4/1/2014Went here based on the location, menu and picture on Open Table- very pleasantly surprised! The menu had great choices to fit everyone's taste and we had a tough time deciding. Everyone was pleased with their choices. Had to try the Brussels Sprouts chips and they were AMAZING!! The Spaghetti Squash Primavera was something I have never seen on a menu before and it was delicious- great for those vegetarians out there. The Cobb Salad looked amazing!Special Features:
- We went out for date nightWilletteDined on 3/29/2014We went out for date night and totally enjoyed our meal. The brussel sprout chips are great! The entrees and our desserts were great as well. Will definately be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellentkb121Dined on 3/20/2014Have been here several times, and I know I can always count on great food and wonderful service. I order the Brussels sprouts chips every time I come to this Restaurant. Took my 88 year old Dad a few weeks ago, he said it was the best hamburger he has ever had!Special Features:
- Yummy!ERRN415Dined on 3/13/2014I had friends visiting from Ohio and I told them that we HAD to go to The Vault for dinner since it's one of our (my husband and I) favorite restaurants. We come here often on date nights or friends birthdays or "just because." My out of town friends LOVED it as much as we do! The Vault never disappoints! We can not wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good dinnercanaturelover55Dined on 3/9/2014We took a couple as our guests. They enjoyed the food and decor and even checked out the party room available for hire. Our waitress Rosalie was very helpful and we ask to be seated with her as she knows how to look after her customers. We made reservations and got a booth as requested. Food: brussel sprout chips, bacon wrapped dates, lamb shank, pesto linguine and prawns, mushroom risotto with asparagus added as requested, warm spinach salad and ahi tuna tower, finished off with baked alaska. Lychee martini was OK, the special long island tea and beers were good.Special Features:
- Great Place!ErinDined on 3/8/2014Wow, we had a wonderful night at Vault 164! I would recommend this restaurant to everyone! The service and food were amazing! (by the way you have to order the brussel sprout chips! Even the brussel sprout haters at our table devoured these flaky little chips!) The place was obviously a bank at one point (vault) and if you look around close enough you can see the 2' door jams and other characteristics. I am trying hard to figure what type of event I can host here - next door they have a large private dining room with pull down screen for business meetings or photo slide show for parties, TV, bar, its own kitchen! GREAT PLACE!Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/7/2014Noise level excessive, would need to reconsider when wanting an evening to catch up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun girls' nightJPMVDined on 3/5/2014Our waitress was very accommodating of our various special requests, and the Baked Alaska that we shared flambeed at the table was a decadent treat! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Yum!ChatDined on 3/4/2014The salmon dish is amazing! So are the brussel sprout chips if you are up for splurging. They are deep fried and they are delicious!I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFewdluverDined on 3/3/2014The food was fantastic. The waitress was so nice and totally attentive. The building itself it super cool. Just an all around plesent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waitress was very friendly.BearickaVIPDined on 3/1/2014Our waitress was very friendly. However, I was disappointed with my food. This is the second time I've been there and the food has come out cold.Special Features:
- Great food and services.KENTDined on 2/26/2014We went to Vault 164 for team lunch based on the review in Yelp. It's a great restaurant with excellent dishes, a lot choices for lunch, and outstanding services. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my third time eatingChipDined on 2/22/2014This was my third time eating at Vault 164 and it was just as enjoyable as my two previous visits. The quality of the food is very good and the portions are ample. (No big plates with tiny portions here!) The wait staff is very friendly and attentive. I appreciate that they were able to meet the special request I put in the reservation. This is a go to place when you want to be assured of a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the money!!dinealotDined on 2/21/2014This charming,eclectic,attractive and hip place is a great gastronomic and wonderful find. The staff is energetic and fun, as well as informed and professional...I loved them all. This is a a must visit!! Best regards and thanks, BrendaSpecial Features:
- Great for Happy Hour or Dessert!MsVicDined on 2/19/2014I came with my family and we got 4 appetizers: brussel sprout chips (yum!), bacon wrapped dates (rich and sweet n sour), duck confit tacos (skippable), and calamari (decent). The mac n cheese side was good, my sister seemed to enjoy her chowder, and the mushroom risotto was relatively flavorful. To finish, we ordered the Baked Alaska - coffee ice cream on a fudge brownie covered in melted marshmallow flambe! Nice finishing touch with the fire, but blow it out before it burns all the marshmallow. Very nice, hip and classy ambience; packed for a Thurs evening!... good thing we made reservations. =) Server was quite friendly and attentive. I'd come back for happy hour, total for tab was $90. (I got a glass of riesling - pretty sweet! - for $8)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone's order was tasty.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/19/2014Everyone's order was tasty. The soup was very good but should have been hotter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food&service, deafening noiseMsAliDined on 2/16/2014I've been here 4 or 5x and every time but once, the bar was hopping and the dining room full. The dining room is so incredibly loud that is ruined one meal for me and a friend, but other times, it was okay. Best for loud, I mean really LOUD groups.Special Features:
- A fun spotAlicatDined on 2/15/2014The Roasted Chicken was excellent. My husband ordered a salad with steak. He said the steak was tough. We ordered a delicious bottle of Far Niente Chardonnay. The chocolate covered strawberries were delicious with coffeeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014This restaurant has great food interesting specialty drinks. A nice beer and wine list. It is also a large space which males it nice for special occasions. I has an experience in the past making a reservation for Valentine's day and arrived only to be seated at a flimsy temporary table with foldable chairs. This place was large and had plenty of tables for reservations. The crab artichoke dip was especially good and the filet mignon was cooked perfectly. The enocci dish was also very good. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vault 164 is a great downtownyvonnecapVIPDined on 2/13/2014Vault 164 is a great downtown San Mateo find. We went here with a group of friends. I planned a "Galentine's Day" function here, and was so pleased with the outcome. The drinks were great and the food was delicious. The servers were quick with food recommendations and wine pairings, which is always a plus. The menu of food options was very pleasing. People in my group had a variety of dishes, from skirt steak, to salmon to risotto - and everyone was please. For appetizers and dessert, I highly recommend the brussel sprout chips and the baked Alaska. Both were amazing and I would go back alone for those. Overall a good experience. Definitely would go back to.Special Features:
- VAult 164 never disapoints!!4eatsDined on 2/11/2014The menu is a treat to peruse before you even consider what to order. The selections are original creations & never mediocre or boring. Each of us ordered something different & each of us enjoyed our choices. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Good but service was poorOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/10/2014Love their kale and quinoa salad with grilled salmon. Our waiter was unfortunately inhospitable...though very friendly with the table next to us. They seemed to be in a hurry despite the fact that it was fairly early and the restaurant wasn't even half full. Mid-bite, our table was cleared. Great food! but awful service...what a shame!
- Dishes are hit or missprymnumberVIPDined on 2/10/2014The first time I ate at the Vault, the experience was awesome. Delicious food, great service, vibrant crowd. However, the second time I went was a totally different experience. My friend's dish was cold (he order the Bavette steak), and my salmon salad was unremarkable. The waiter missed our slightly-tucked-into-the-corner table on several passes. Finally I just flagged him down in order to get a refill of my drink. This was a Monday night so the restaurant was not busy.Special Features:
- Great dining experience all around!DeDeDined on 2/10/2014Walking into this beautiful venue, right away I am happy I came. I head over to the bar, don't know what I feel like just yet, and Adam whips something up for me to try. It's delicious (whatever he concocted) so I order one. Very unique, friendly and talented bar staff. I may go back just for happy hour. But then the food- everything from the brussel sprout chips to the salad, soup and entree was wonderful. We went with a group and shared some of our dishes amoungst each other- the portions are pretty large. Our server was friendly, knew the menu very well and was enthusiastic and friendly. This is a new place I will be going for date night, girl's night out, and work dinners for sure!Special Features:
- Happy campersFoodexplorer2014Dined on 2/6/2014We had driven by this restaurant several times and decided to give it a whirl. We ordered three appetizers (deviled eggs, lamb & beef meatballs and the crab & artichoke dip), all of which were delicious. We split the skirt steak Cobb salad which was great and we also had the Baked Alaska dessert, which was fantastic! Looking forward to going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun placeChrisDVIPDined on 2/1/2014Took my husband because he wanted steak and I wanted other options. Everything was great, great appetizers of Brussels sprout chips and backed wrapped dates. He loved his skirt steak and my macadamia crusted swordfish was excellent . Really everything was good. It's fairly loud and maybe the kitchen needs a better fan because we could smell everything they were cooking but overall, we enjoyed it and will go back and try happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/28/2014Have been there several times for dinner where I find the menu exceptional. The lunch main dishes where fair, no comparison to the dinner menu. Probably won't go back for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrs. eat out oftenjoanie651Dined on 1/27/2014nice place to have a lunch or dinner. food is good and service is too. prices are moderate and choices are my kind of foodSpecial Features:
- Muted!GwynVIPDined on 1/19/2014After complaining about the very noisy Vault early on, I must compliment them on the excellent job they have done softening the sound in a large, high-ceilinged, hard-surfaced bank building. Well done! Now we can speak without shouting and enjoy the very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, good atmospherepfdinnerVIPDined on 1/17/2014We had a great time at Vault 164. The food was great especially the brussel sprout chips, which everyone loved! The service was good and the staff were attentive. The scene was very busy and the place is a bit loud, so if you are looking for a quite dinner this is not the place, but we were fine with that. We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mushroom flatbread was yummy!LindyVIPDined on 1/17/2014Mushroom flatbread was yummy! I got gnocchi with shrimp. The shrimp was good but the gnocci was a bit tough. I expect good gnocchi to be really tender and almost melt in your mouth. This was not like that - wouldn't order that again. My husband got steak - it wasn't bad but he wasn't really impressed either. We will try it again with some other menu choices!Special Features:
- Vaultlaney678Dined on 1/15/2014Liked The Vault a lot specifically for its food. Yummy. Mac And Cheese as an appetizer to share, great. The swordfish was a bit dry and could do with a bit more sauce to overcome dryness. Liked presentation. Asked the server about a glass of red not very dry. She offered a cab I did not catch the name, exactly fit My requirements, awesome! The noise level between 6 and 9 is high. Happily the place was full. Will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but a little loudJillCVIPDined on 1/11/2014Not a place to go when it's time for a "deep talk" ... but the food was quite tasty, the drinks good, and our server friendly and helpful. We were a party of four, and it was just a little hard to hear the person on the other side of the table. Granted, there was a large, boisterous party sitting behind us ... Overall, though, a good evening was had by all! Vault 164 is on our list of visit-again.Special Features:
- Love Vault 1641stCalDined on 1/11/2014The sign of a great place to dine and wine is when the owner (Brad) comes to you personally to make sure your meal was the best. Great dinner, great service and great ambiance....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, and service-OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/11/2014Accommodated our request for a quiet corner table, and various food allergies and special food preparation requests without any problem or hesitation-- Warm welcome at reception-seated immediately--server was well informed about all food and drinks on the menu-very good table service--Kale salad and wedge salad were great--roasted chicken-moist and tender-really nicely prepared-salmon grilled simply --bought as ordered--Drink menu interesting -varied and good. Would go here again, anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu, noise level tooOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/10/2014Great menu, noise level too loud in main dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.