164 South B Street
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vault164.com/
- Phone: 6503488164
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Mon-Thurs 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gerardo Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Vault 164
Welcome to Vault 164, located in the heart of downtown San Mateo. Set in the old Crocker Bank on the corner of 2nd and B, the décor uses many of the building"s antique vault pieces sprinkled throughout the dining room and bar. We feature an eclectic and contemporary American cuisine, using sustainable seafood and organic produce when possible. Stop by and enjoy our bourbon and maple glazed pork chop, served on sweet potato mash, or a savory Caramelized Onion, Applewood Smoked Bacon, and Cambozola Cheese Flatbread. We offer a wide range of aged steaks and whole roasted chicken, fresh pasta, and unique salads. Our bar is great place to meet friends or watch a game, and it features a variety of classic and new cocktails, handmade to perfection, a large selection of beers on tap, and over 20 wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Vault 164 - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Vault 164 reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)neighborhood gem (74)good for groups (65)special occasion (59)great for lunch (43)vibrant bar scene (37)hot spot (23)romantic (22)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Everything was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014Great place, extensive wine list, Brussels sprout chips were amazing, as was the kale salad, Mac and cheese, pork chop and curious George dessert!! Waitress was very helpful and attentive. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in San MateoLoveThemBsproutsDined on 6/22/2014We had a large party for a birthday and they treated us first class. The waiter was exceptional and her recommendations for wine was first class and budget sensitive. Dinner was fabulous and the let me customize my dinner choice to meet my dietary needs without making me feel like the world would end in the kitchen. After we ordered they brought us a menu and a pen so the entire group could write a special note to the person celebrating their birthday on the menu. Nice touches of friendly service, without being stuffy. Good for older kids, but I would leave the young ones at home to enjoy your adult time.Special Features:
- Good food & service, parking suckssacpubgrubDined on 6/21/2014We headed in on a Saturday night from a Foster City hotel and missed that there was a street fair going on. This is the third time I've headed to San Mateo on the weekend and to say parking sucks is way too polite. With the fair going on I ended up parking about 3/4 of a mile from the restaurant which is at the heart of downtown...maybe locals know where to park but as a visitor driving in circles around the downtown parking lot did not endear the San Mateo experience to me...Special Features:
- Good high-quality Bistro FoodFridayNiteDinnersVIPDined on 6/17/2014We've decided that Vault 164 is a great high quality Bistro. There is a good range of choices, although we feel the meat may be more expertly done than the seafood. We ordered the scallops which really needed the crispy prosciutto for great flavor, but the accompanying veggies didn't do much for the dish. Also ordered was the cajun steak which was phenomenal, a much better dish overall. The service was good, drinks came a bit slower than the appetizers, but all in all a great evening and a place we regularly visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool and stylishOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/16/2014A bit more of a "scene" than other downtown San Mateo restaurants, Vault 164 offers delicious food in a stylish setting. I highly recommend the chicken as well as the spaghetti squash primavera. Pair your dinner with a cool cocktail or one of their many wines by the glass -- or, choose a delicious non-alcoholic beverage (the "no-jito" is a great pick).Special Features:
- Client LunchScottDined on 6/16/2014Took a potential client to lunch. Really enjoyed the food and we were actually able to talk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialSAM650Dined on 6/15/2014We went on the Father's Day for dinner and surprisingly it wasn't that busy as I expected. Food was OK, I even would say on the fair side. But for the special day they did not even have that special menu what some of the restaurants have. Not much choice buy away. To be fair, I would have to say the service was very good - fast and very friendly. In overall, I would say nothing special and exited which you can expect from the historic place.
- TresJohnsDined on 6/15/2014The service was very slow and I found that the side dishes were bland (I had a delicious pork chop for the main). The desserts were great.
- Delicious Food and Great ServiceKarenVIPDined on 6/14/2014I tried Vault 164 for the first time the other night and was extremely pleased. We tried the spinach salad, Poached Pear Salad and Corn and Salmon Chowder. They were all delicious and large portions. For our entrees we had the salmon, gnocchi with vine ripened tomatoes and prawns, and Spaghetti Squash Primavera. Again we were al extremely pleased with our entrees. Service was excellent. Would highly recommend Vault 164Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business luncheonJanGreDined on 6/11/2014I entertained 5 clients for lunch recently. The service was perfect and timing of the food was ideal. Our server was available, but not intrusive during my presentation. The restaurant was not overly busy (I booked an early reservation) so we were able to easily carry on a conversation without having to shout. The food was outstanding and the portions are huge. I will be back again and have already suggested this location to my colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meh.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/9/2014Average food. Steak was over cooked. Calamari was overly salty. Excellent service. Probably not going back.
- Great date nighttabitha73Dined on 6/7/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal. I had the day's special - Hawaiian Swordfish, and my husband had the Spicy Louisiana Prawns. This is classic Californian cuisine at its best - fresh produce, with delicious flavors. We even had complementary Brussels Sprout Chips for checking in on Facebook. That was very unique. Our waitress was extremely friendly and helpful. My only regret was that we were too full to try any dessert. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun!sfnativeVIPDined on 6/7/2014We had the Asian braised short ribs and the macadamia crusted swordfish. Both were delicious and our server , Rosalie, was warm and accomodating.Special Features:
- Wonderful findOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2014Vault 164 was, hands down, amazing! Food was delicious, service excellent...we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Meh..HollyDined on 6/6/2014been there a few times. on this visit, the hostess got real attitude because I didn't want to sit in the corner. The food was really salty. When the owner came over to ask us how are food was, my husband made the mistake of telling him because he got really defensive and rude! then he came back to tell us that he's cracking down on the cooks and inspecting the quality and presentation of every meal. on a positive note. Our server Alex was awesome and sweet.
- legalmiltDined on 5/31/2014This was an excellent experience. The food was really good as was the service. The atmosphere was fine as well.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotNaldoDined on 5/29/2014I can always rely on a great meal with fantastic service.Special Features:
- One of our favorite places to eat.bettsDined on 5/24/2014The food is always very good as well as the servers. Our waitress, Michelle, was outstanding and lots of fun.Special Features:
- asdfghjkl12345Dined on 5/24/2014Overall, it was a good dining experience but I most likely would not return. The service was especially bad: the waitress was talking with a fellow waiter and we were trying to flag her down to give her our order. It took about 20 minutes! We had to constantly ask for water refills since the waitress never came by to check on us. Food was decent. The waitress at the table across from us was also extremely rude and asked the child in our party to scoot in because she was "blocking the path". However, it was the young lady from the other table who was leaning back in her chair and blocking the path.
- The following 503 reviews are from the Vault 164 reviews archive.
- good for drinks & apps onlywhats4dinnerDined on 5/17/2014The apps and cocktails were perfect. Our server went out of her way to make our dining experience superb. However the garlic steak was not garlicy except for the few garlic cloves placed next to my steak and the sauce on the filet mignon that my date ordered was bitter and wasn't flavourful. If I go back it'll only be for happy hour's apps & drinks.Special Features:
- Worth trying, I'd go back.GaelTirVIPDined on 5/15/2014The highlights include the Brussel sprout chips for sure. Both Cobb salads (steak and chicken) were good as was the gnocchi and the prawns and clam lingiuini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedMDay2014Dined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day Dinner... They did not pack the dinner room to try to get more tables turned. The ambiance was casual but also upscale and cool. Everyone chattered normally but we had no trouble hearing each other. Tania our server was SUPER!!! Nice smile, unrushed, patient, tendative and most importantly, SINCERE!! She made our night. The FOOD? THEY WERE SUPER SUPER GOOD!!! The Salmon had the glazed crust but it was so, SO, moist inside, cooked just right. Even my husband (he likes raw salmon and hates cooked) was surprised by the texture and gave it a thumbs up. He compliemented me 2x on my choice. We had a GREAT M Day dinner. At the second course we were already saying we will be back!Special Features:
- Not GreatBecksDined on 5/10/2014Looks amazing when you first walk in. Not great at all. Service sucked and the restaurant was not busy. Food was okay.
- Mother's Day360bratDined on 5/10/2014Took Mom for dinner Saturday night, we had a wonderful waiter and we never felt rushed. We took our time with everything! Had a great night.Special Features:
- Amazing Portions!!CliffDined on 5/9/2014All I can say is their dishes are HUGE!! I had their pork chop and my girlfriend had their steak. Not only was the dish large, the meals were succulent and flavorful. Both our meats were tender to the bone. The waitress was polite and absolutely attentive. She made sure we enjoyed our meals and the service. Highly recommend this placeSpecial Features:
- Beyond Expectations!kalifa99Dined on 5/9/2014Dining at Vault 164 is a foodies dream come true. The restaurant has it all: outstanding food, ambience, and the best service ever. I will be back again and again.Special Features:
- Baked AlaskaNemoDined on 5/8/2014I like the dessert very much but just remember don't let the flame burn for too long. Otherwise, the marshmallow/whipped cream is burnt and bitter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2014I have to admit - after all the great things I have heard about this place I was disappointed. Food was ok - nothing so wonderful that you would rush back for. Service wasn't anything special for certain. Nice atmosphere... Beautiful restaurant
- MulligansVIPDined on 5/6/2014Baked Alaska is awesome! Big enough to share but you would not want to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencegerfygiraffeDined on 5/4/2014We had a wonderful time here, the food was delicious, the service superior and unique interior decorations. The only negative is that it is hard to park, we were there on Sunday night and i guess perhaps that is the one night there isn't valet parking....but we found a spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun venueLisaDined on 5/1/2014Fun venue in downtown San Mateo. The food was great, including brussel sprout chips, ahi tuna tower, lettuce cups, and short ribs. Wine menu could have been stronger.Special Features:
- Love this place!ErinDined on 4/30/2014Excellent time and the food was fantastic!! The wait staff and owner work hard to make sure you re happy! I'm going back next week with a friend and booking a group of 50 for a luncheon in their banquet room! ErinSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Delicious!DotcomWorkingMomDined on 4/27/2014I have never been disappointed, they had a reservation open at the last minute for my husband and I to celebrate out 12th Anniversary. We were so happy and excited for dinner. Our appetizers were tasty, bacon wrapped figs and tomato/garlic flat bread. And our meals were just as tasty, this time we had a 6oz filet and a skirt steak. We topped it off by sharing a key lime pie for dessert.Special Features:
- Fun NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014We had a great time. The food and service were wonderful. But, the noise was terrible. It was impossible to have a conversation at out table.Special Features:
- A little disappointedOneshtchiDined on 4/19/2014I usually sit at the bar area.. I always get good service the bartenders are always Great.. So are the servers. This time I went with a few friends and sat at a table... The server was new, I think. He forgot our drinks, didn't fill our H2o unless we asked. He just seemed "off". He was nice, but needs practice . I suppose since I go here regularly I expect a higher standard. Food was tasty, and all of us enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- BrettVIPDined on 4/19/2014Good good. Not great but very good. Warm Spinach salad was excellent, however.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaitressBevieDined on 4/12/2014Our waitress Rosalie was outstanding ! The best server that we ever had . Definitely when we come back will request her. Food was delicious .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I wanted toBuddyDined on 4/12/2014My husband and I wanted to try a different restaurant for our anniversary. We decided for The Vault in the last minute. We had specific needs and all were met. The service was great and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place, Solid American FareLanceDined on 4/12/2014One of our go to's for good "American" style food in the San Mateo area. Great atmosphere, not stuffy, and the perfect place to get some food and drinks with friends. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacenovicedinerDined on 4/11/2014I was attending a conference and wanted a place to meet my sister and her soon to be husband. This place was perfect. Had a great bar with fast service. The food was excellent. The "vault" chicken is outstanding! We had a great dinner and the service was excellent. They allowed us to visit and catch up but were attentive when it was time to clear plates, take orders, and get more drinks. They even brought out a little baked Alaska--for a birthday celebration. I will be back.Special Features: