1 Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.westbridgerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6179450221
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday
5:30 - Midnight
Monday - Sunday until 1 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Gaudet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: West Bridge has an intimate private dining space that seats 12 guests, or 20 for a cocktail reception. A long reclaimed wood table is flanked by floor-to-ceiling windows with a retractable door that can be open so guests are able to experience the energy of the restaurant. West Bridge is available for a full buyout.
- Private Party Contact: Alexis Gelburd-Kimler 6179450221
- Cross Street: Hampshire Street and Portland Street
- Public Transit: West Bridge is near the MBTA Kendall Square Red Line station, as well as the Number 85 and CT2 bus lines.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in the One Kendall Square parking garage behind the One Kendall Square complex on Binney Street, right next to the Kendall Square Cinema. West Bridge would be happy to validate your parking.
A word from West Bridge
Located just over Boston's original "West Boston Bridge," West Bridge serves french-inspired food with a New England perspective in a modern and comfortable environment. The rustic loft-inspired room boasts 18-foot ceilings, reclaimed woods and metal beams all in a casual, industrial-style space. With an emphasis on hospitality, the owners of West Bridge look forward to welcoming you into their home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
West Bridge - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
West Bridge reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (110)neighborhood gem (51)good for groups (38)special occasion (35)great for outdoor dining (34)hot spot (33)vibrant bar scene (29)great for lunch (21)romantic (19)notable wine list (19)late-night find (13)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Too loud to enjoyCambridgedinerVIPDined on 2/1/2014Arrived with party of four and taken to a table for eight, with four other seats about to be filled. Told 30-40 minutes until table for four available. Thought about leaving but seemed unlikely we'd be able to find better alternative Saturday night at 7:30. Fortunately, as we were ordering, they said table for four had opened up. It may well have been the best table in the house, in the corner by a window, but sound level, which was substantially better than our initial seating in the middle of the room, was still so loud that we frequently had to ask each other (and waitress) to repeat comments. I presume that some younger people enjoy the "buzz" of a hot spot. We found that it simply destroyed what otherwise was an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Our new favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/31/2014Came here twice, the first one during Drunch on NY day. We thought we will definitely give he restaurant another try of its regular menu. We love this place; the cocktails were one of the best we've had, the menu is creative, food is great and unique, definitely will come back again another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too long !veroDined on 1/30/2014we just wait almost one hour to get a burger... correct burger but nothing special...
- Good food from an interesting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/28/2014The food here is excellent. We each had a small plate and a large plate which was ample. One could easily be satisfied with two small plates. They have large plates for sharing as well. Everything we ordered was both intriguing and superb. The waiting was friendly, efficient and down to earth. The room is spacious with a central bar. There's little about to muffle noise so we chose 7PM on a very cold Tuesday night for our reservation & the place was busy but not crowded, which kept the noise down. It's a shame that one often has to shout to be heard in many restaurants that serve excellent cuisine. I consistently strive to find places where the pleasure of eating can be shared with friends in normal conversational tones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying too hard to be unusualLeehDined on 1/24/2014Service was excellent, always available when needed yet not hovering with extensive knowledge about the menu which is necessary considering there are no explanations to dish preparations. The snails were prepared in a unique way but tasteless Egg in a jar was the highlight of the evening as well as the salted caramel ice cream, heavenly The squash soup was very tasty but too minuscule an amount,( approx 3/4 cup) I would have liked "more please sir". The chix which has a 3 day preparation was a dissapointment It was not hot, barely warm,skin not crispy and unfortunately just ok. It would be wise for the kitchen to invest in a plate warmer, cold plates do not enhance flavors or the experience when sharing dishes.
- Small plate restaurant withJanie2NDined on 1/21/2014Small plate restaurant with interesting menu and good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and interesting. A bitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014Fun and interesting. A bit noisy for the geriatric crowd, but they don't need us anyway. A good new find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West BridgeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/10/2014Great food, attentive but not intrusive service, nice decor and atmosphere. The folks from this restaurant group need to pay more attention to how they design their spaces and the resulting noise level. Each one is FAR to loud. I like a nice buzz but I shouldn't have to shout over dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy TastebudsShinzDined on 1/4/2014Exquisitely executed flavors-- my new favorite place in Boston (you can actually eat everything and enjoy it without overdoing it). Small plates are really where it's at. Seafood Pottage is spectacular-- for this alone you should go; kale salad is a must; duck pate toast, beef shank tartine, seared octopus are all wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/1/2014This was our first and last experience at West Bridge. The prices are high, the choices strange (fried chicken/chicken livers and 3 stalks of Romaine lettuce?) No bread, and worst of all, PAPER PLATES AND PLASTIC UTENSILS. We were given a pair of complimentary sunglasses (?) The money could have better been spent on dishes and silverware. For a $36.00 Drunch (?) there was not enough variety and the place was so noisy that we couldn't even hear ourselves complaining.
- noisy but goodmarlbethDined on 12/31/2013loved the unique small plates, but the noise level was high and not easy to hear others at the table. great, happy waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, creative small platesRaquelEDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I ate at West Bridge on New Years Eve and loved it. As our server recommended, we shared 3 small plates to start and shared the lamb neck and the small page of carrots for our main. No complaints about the lamb, but the small plates was where they really shone. I would especially recommend the fantastic seafood potage. I would also suggest ordering fewer than 4 smalls and a large: we were stuffed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013One of the best meals I've ever had in my life. Order everything-its all amazing. Impeccable service also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantacpelletier329Dined on 12/28/2013We've been to West Bridge several times and on our latest visit we splurged for the tasting menu and accompanying wine tasting. It was likely the best meal I've ever had. Portion sizes were just right - we left satisfied but not stuffed. The food was interesting - coddled egg with mushroom ragu was my personal favorite - and delicious. What's more, the staff were knowledgeable, attentive yet not intrusive, and we got a personal visit from Alexis, who was genuinely interested in our feedback. I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a superior meal and will continue to do so especially after this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Xmas Eve meal in <1 hr.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/24/2013Very appreciative to have them open. Food very enjoyable. Cocktails interesting and nuanced. How about 1 or 2 non- alcoholic choices? Service attentive but off. Family meal and one person( under 21) not even asked about a drink order. Menu poorly explained. Ordered several small plates and 1 large. Told the venison could take 30 minutes. Everything arrived in 10 minutes. Hard to appreciate 7 small plates all at once! Things get cold. Bread not offered( you have to ask- I get not having it automatic but how about offering?). By the time we asked only had spoons to butter with! S'mores style dessert very good. I think the food deserves better service. And time to be appreciated.Special Features:
- Limited menuLovetoeatVIPDined on 12/17/2013I was surprised to find there were no appetizers or desserts on the menu. This was my second visit here for lunch, but the last time I was here, there was at least 3-4 appetizers to choose from. My burger was delicious, but small, and unfortunately I left hungry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really trying to hipDefiniteOpinionsVIPDined on 12/13/2013Really really loud, with industrial vibe. Menu limited -- food ok but portions small and pricey. Sounded better on the menu than what "appeared". Space is bright for lunch, a nice thing especially in the winter. All industrial hard surfaces-- will try something else in the area next time.
- Excellent all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/12/2013We had fantastic service. Each dish was better than the last and all of them were excellent. It's a mix of all ages and an energetic space. We enjoyed every aspect of the meal and are eager to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as UsualEatsinconcordVIPDined on 12/9/2013As expected the food was great but the service was a little slow this time. However, they made up for this with several complementary offerings which were fantastic. Not disappointed in the least. Great place with a fabulous menu.Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/7/2013We had dinner with a couple of friends at this restaurant before going to the movies and were quite pleased with it. We haven't been there before and just happened upon it. Very good and interesting food made with fresh local ingredients, fun space and good service (a bit slow). Will definitely go there again if we happen to be in the area.Special Features:
- Excellent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/6/2013Very cool place, the decor is very nice. The tasting menu is definitely worth a try. And a nice cocktail list. Their 'love and fear' cocktail is superb!Special Features:
- We were looking forward toOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/6/2013We were looking forward to eating here after reading great reviews. We ordered many small plates and a couple of large plates to share. While we enjoyed the atmosphere and the service was good, we were very disappointed in the food. We were a party of five and there was not one thing we ordered that we even wanted to finish. All the dishes sounded great on paper but the flavors just didn't work!
- Anniversary DinnerJasongDined on 12/5/2013Just went here for an anniversary dinner. The cocktails were fantastic. Recommend the one with the smoked hay. The food was very good, but some of it was not "blow-you-away" good. We got several small plates and the notable favorites were the oxtail, the egg in the jar, and the seafood potage. The pigs head was so-so and the snails were a bit too salty, but definitely interesting . The service was just excellent! Very attentive, with some special touches like the amuse-bouche of chicken skin. Overall, this was a very good choice for a special occassion. I would definitely eat here again to try more small plates.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food, Great ServiceAntonEgoDined on 12/3/2013Very creative, cutting edge menu. Flavors and textures assembled with extraordinary precision, yet food is filled with warmth and deliciousness. This is a unique restaurant. Attentive, friendly service. Not overbearing, or condescending for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/3/2013I have been at West Bridge twice for lunch and found the food wonderful and different. They have an extensive drink menu and great cocktails. An outstanding new place for a moderately priced lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post-Thanksgiving weekend dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/30/2013Good food, very small portions. Menu layout is somewhat confusing but service was excellent and very helpful. Music was too loud during dinner service, however I can see how it would be more appropriate for bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much salt and sugar overelsaVIPDined on 11/30/2013Too much salt and sugar over everything. Takes away from the taste of the ingredients themselves...
- Great SpotAngeloPappasDined on 11/22/2013Had been to West Bridge for drinks previously but this was our first time for food. We (two of us) had one of the high tables behind the bar which I really. Our server was great, very knowledgeable, spent a lot of time running through the menu with us as we had a couple of questions. We ended up sharing 3 small plates - the cauliflower, pig's head and shrimp...All were very good. We then shared the braised lamb which fell off the bone, extremely well done. We will definitely come back but think this place is an awesome spot for a larger group as would love to try more of the small plates.Special Features:
- always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2013Food, as usual, was excellent and rich. Drinks are never disappointing. Staff is excited, friendly, and knowledgeable. Never have a bad time at this restaurant and keep going back. Not inexpensive, and meals are best shared as several small and medium plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent first dining experienceGmoneydineDined on 11/15/2013Tried for first time before going to a movie on a Friday night. Reservation needed, but not overly crowded. While a little noisy, clean, cool industrial look and comfortable lighting/seating. Small dishes were great and perfect for sharing between 2 people. Especially loved carrots, octopus, and quail dishes. Waiter a little over-enthusiastic, but service excellent generally. Only wish they had a great espresso for after-dinner - just coffee available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visitAmFoleyVIPDined on 11/10/2013This was our first visit to West Bridge, and we dined with another couple who truly are foodies like us. Dinner was very good and incredibly creative. We tried several small plates and shared two entrees. Favorites among the group were the quail small plate and the pork shoulder entree. Desserts were very good too. My hazelnut chocolate cake was to die for! Service was top notch too! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern and interesting !JambolaDined on 11/9/2013Found Westbridge to be a tad spare and antiseptic in its decor but the bar seems to be very happening. We had a three course dinner and thoroughly enjoyed it all. Esp. the kale and seafood potage. Wine list had a few very esoteric choices and overall a solid list. Server was genuine and endearing, meant well but came off a bit inexperienced. Dessert was a big miss. Banana Madeleine cake with very little taste. But that would not stop me from coming back in a minute! Would love to try some of those interesting drinks and small plates at the bar before and after a Kendall Sq. Movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/8/2013My friends were skeptical when they first looked at the menu, but all were pleasantly surprised at the flavors and preparation of the food, in a good way. The chicken for sharing was wonderfully moist and seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful, out of the boxCameronDined on 11/8/2013Really fun flavors and most creative seasonal small plates allowed for wonderful exploring. Noise level is spirited in big echoey open room.Special Features:
- My new favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2013I love this place! Creative, energetic and playful food combinations, service just right. Loud but that's ok, fun, fun, fun! Don't miss the cauliflower, brisket, and egg in a jar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My dining companions and IFoodieVIPDined on 11/2/2013My dining companions and I ended up having a wonderful experience, after a less than stellar start . . . The hostess attempted to seat the four of us at a communal table. When we objected, she told us there would be a long wait for another table, even though there were a handful or so empty. We were not persuaded, so the owner intervened, and she was most accommodating. We ended up sitting at one of two tables in what appears to be a private dining room. And whenever we return to the restaurant, that's where we'll ask to sit. Unlike the main dining room, where the noise level was deafening, the "private dining room" was delightful. And each and every one of the dozen or so plates we shared was outstanding. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar foodkelseyVIPDined on 11/1/2013The pumpkin and farro dish was out of this world. Definitely get the cookies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy with Excellent foodtallajoDined on 11/1/2013West Bridge was excellent. Service and staff were top notch - very helpful with the menu, for example in explaining different ways of ordering such as numbers of small and large dishes. During the meal, they were very attentive to our needs and most importantly, the cocktail menu is excellent. The cavernous space they occupy provides a noisy atmosphere. If your guests are energetic, it works fine - no issues. Just want to point out that the restaurant is not an ideal location for a quiet, romantic dinner nonetheless, I would go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On a first time visit, weOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/29/2013On a first time visit, we were a bit disappointed, but mainly because we had very high expectations. Two of us ordered several small plates. Some such as the farro and pumpkin or the kale w/ duck confit were excellent, but a couple of others (the snails and the egg in a jar) were disappointing, with ingredients that just didn't go well together. But the menu is creative and the atmosphere is pleasant - just needs a little more consistency on execution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Presentation of food was excellent.Panky4321VIPDined on 10/29/2013They really mean small plates ... much smaller than I'm used to. And I've been to some of the best "small plates" restaurants in Boston. I'm not used to having cheese blended in with ice cream, beets as an ingredient in chocolate desserts, or fried chicken skin as a major part of an amuse bouche offfering from the kitchen, The beef brisket was intentionally and visibly 1/2 fat. It was too much money for an inch cube of meat!. After paying more than $116 dollars for 3 women - 3 small plates, 1 entree, 2 desserts, 2 cokes and 2 coffees - no alcohol ... thought it was very overpriced. This was just too expensive for what you got. 1 mouth full of finger food is more like it. The Staff, however, was extremely friendly and attentive.Special Features: