b, A Bolton Hill Bistro
1501 Bolton Street
Baltimore, MD 21217Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
b, A Bolton Hill Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.b-bistro.com/
- Phone: 4103838600x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: George Allen aka Big George
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The best of b bistro offerings is available for your guests. Call and ask about catering and party platters. You'll get the personal attention of our house manager and chef. b bistro knows you deserve nothing less.
A word from b, A Bolton Hill Bistro
Sample fresh, local and imaginative b bistro cuisine with a range of daily specials and an eclectic, non-fussy, and reasonably-priced wine list. Enjoy dining in Bolton Hill, one of Baltimore's most stately and historic neighborhoods.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
b, A Bolton Hill Bistro - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
b, A Bolton Hill Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (114)great for outdoor dining (97)fit for foodies (85)special occasion (50)great for brunch (44)notable wine list (33)romantic (33)good for groups (16)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (10)hot spot (9)great for lunch (8)late-night find (8)Show More
- we had an absolutely greatkathyVIPDined on 4/5/2014we had an absolutely great time. Our only glitch in the evening - one member of our party ordered a medium burger. It came pretty rare. She ate a tiny tad of it, but when the waiter came back, and she told him she had ordered a medium burger and this was rare, his response was "do you want me to wrap that up? He missed the point unfortunately. Otherwise all of our appetizers, entrees and desserts were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014restaurant has an outstanding chef and really great wait staff we eat out often and one of our favorites very affordable wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- why dont they askOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/1/2014My friend and I ordered a glass of wine each, and on the menu there was the glass and bottle price. when we recevied the bill the price was different, and when asked, I was told I ordered the large size glass and not the small one ($ 8.50 vs $11.00). well iguess I did not read the fine print and it was certainly not on the ordering side of the menu. waiters should ask which size the customer wants if there are in fact two sizes. wonderful food.Special Features:
- The food was great. The placeJTC4Dined on 3/29/2014The food was great. The place is small and got very cramped with 4 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing and theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2014The food was amazing and the portions rather large. I had the fried oysters in spinach aoili, which almost did not seem fried, the batter was so light. The rockfish with clam broth and potato/broccoli puree was delightful, with all the flavors blending in a new, but flavorful way. The restaurant is in a charming neighborhood. There was a mixture of diners and you got the sense it was a true "neighorhood" restaurant; one that I wished was by me. The staff was friendly and helpful. Somewhat far from Downtown, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Excellent!GeneDined on 3/26/2014Highly recommended ... can understand the recognition b has gotten!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delightfulMonktonScottVIPDined on 3/23/2014This cozy neighborhood restaurant is wonderful, tucked in a quiet residential location. It is casual, but upscale. The food was delicious. I had the duck, cooked medium rare-perfect. Perhaps the highlight was the service. Our server was charming. Attentive without being annoying, affable, helpful in helping with menu selections without being gushing. I would move to Bolton Hill just so I could wander down to this place for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Little Neighborhood SpotMKS1085VIPDined on 3/22/2014My fiancé and I were visiting Baltimore for the weekend and were looking for a non-chain neighborhood type restaurant when we found this place on Open Table. We had the creepiest waiter but the food was absolutely amazing! My fiancé had the gnocchi which was the best meal either of us had had in a very long time. I had the scallops with risotto which were AMAZING too (little too much watercress on top). We absolutely LOVED this restaurant and if were ever back in Baltimore would definitely check it out again. The neighborhood is really cute and quiet too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was so soOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014How long do you have to wait at the door before you get seated? Please treat ALL your patrons equally. There's a disparity in how visitors are treated. Other tables were available, we were seated right at the front door where my chair was hit by patrons leaving. I've been here many times. Service is usually good. I brought a friend by who was visiting from out of town. We are both minorities from different backgrounds. Asian and African American. I can't prove that our treatment had anything to do with that, but when I noticed how the following patrons were treated, it leads me to wonder. Please be attentive to all, equally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not up to parJ2RingsDined on 3/21/2014Scallops were undercooked. Mussels were large, free of grit - delicious. Tuna Won-Tons - Won-Tons were greasy, tuna was fishy. Rockfish special would have been delicious, but was over seasoned - almost too salty to eat. At least the food was served nice & hot. Overall, pretty disappointing as usually food & service is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2014Although we had a reservation at 8pm, we were not seated until 8:20. After we were seated, everything was beautiful. Fettucine bolognese, shrimp and grits, duck fat fries, and the demi-glaze duck, all cooked to perfection. Very Euro-vibe to the place, which we loved. Highly recommended. Make sure to get a reservation!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood hideawayluv2eatoutVIPDined on 3/18/2014It was so much fun to eat in the little hidden away restaurant located in an out of the way neighborhood. The food and service were outstanding and although it is very small the menu was varied and the noise level more than acceptable.Special Features:
- Food For The SoulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/18/2014We went t b on my wife's birthday. We found good food, a warm ambience, and place for friendship--food for the soul. Extra bonus was discovering friends from "b 's" neighborhood who say they walk there regularly.They invited us to join them--food good friends,good for the soul!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheery in Bolton HillPaadiDined on 3/16/2014Great waitress, strong mimosas, above average food, nice vibe. Could use a little re-design (I'm looking at you, floor) but overall a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I are so gladMaureenDined on 3/15/2014My husband and I are so glad we found this restaurant just under a mile away from the Lyric. We both enjoyed the soup of the day - a creamy, buttery clam chowder which was served nice and hot! He had a delicious scallop dinner while I had an outstanding beet salad and spinach-artichoke ravioli starter. The staff was very attentive as well. It was the perfect meal before walking over to the Lyric to see a show.Special Features:
- Old ReliableJoelDined on 3/13/2014The "b" bistro has an imaginative standard menue and an ever-changing list of specials that are sometimes sdpectacular. Entres ranging from perfectly prepared sweetbreads ro duck in a variety of very tasty presentations, a baby beet salad and sinful desserts. The wait staff is informed, attentive and gracious, never disappointing. Occasionally, the music doesn't suit my taste, but that's a very minor inconvenience. We regularly have dinner at the "b" before the symphony.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High QualityWishingDined on 3/8/2014Everything you eat here will be of the highest quality and will also be well-prepared and beautifully presented. There is a nice mix of things you will see on other restaurants' menus, but there are some inspired items unique to b, too. The charcuterie and cheese are always outstanding. The only downside to the experience this time was that it was really warm in the restaurant. We still had a great time, but we wish the dining room were more comfortable. The pistachio sundae with Turkish figs and honey is fabulous. There is no hard liquor in the house, so be prepared for wine and beer only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small plates and entreesSharonKDined on 3/1/2014The small plates and entrees we ordered were fantastic. The service was very good. This is a very small place, so be sure to have reservations.Special Features:
- Clicked For UsmarkmywordDined on 3/1/2014We were six and all loved their meals. The French Onion Soup was excellent! Grouper Fantastic! There was something for everyone. We all felt we needed to come back so we can try some other selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary date night!datenighthappyDined on 2/22/2014The service was great - staff had noted the two requests I'd attached to the reservation form and took care of both - we had a window table and the server had spoken with the chef about my husband's dairy-free food choices and knew exactly what he could have, including what the chef was able to adjust (everything clearly prepped fresh for individual diners - so often at restaurants there's already cheese in the pre-prepared salads etc but not here). It was restaurant week and I feel like we got a great deal - the food was delicious, service was friendly and prompt, we were not rushed at all - we will definitely go back and have already recommended it to others.Special Features:
- great!heliseaDined on 2/20/2014decided to check this place out for restaurant week as per a friends recommendation... i was extremely pleased! the food was great and came out quickly and all the staff seemed very nice/attentive! I'll definitely be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute little bistro!KeyKeyDined on 2/19/2014Great little place in a historic neighborhood! Our waitress was very friendly and attentive :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekBmoredinerVIPDined on 2/18/2014Wasn't sure I wanted my first visit to b to come during restaurant week but had a meeting in the area and decided to go for it. Glad I did. There were really nice entree selections and they added some additional choices to those posted, most notably Blue Point oysters on the half shell-perfect! My pork and lamb bolognese was yummy with homemade pasta. And the scallops with crisp pork belly a winner! It's very tight inside and the noise level is pretty high but it ends up feeling energetic and not annoying. I look forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chicken was very good. flourlessGraceDined on 2/16/2014chicken was very good. flourless chocolate cake was too rich and without the flour it really was just mushy. we shouldn't have ordered it.... ice cream sandwhich was excellent. husband hated the burger but the fries were good. my husband felt ill after eating the burger even though it was well-cooked. he said that he could taste that it was burnt and that upset his stomach overnight. for the price, i thought the food should've been better but its a very nice place- ambience and service was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pushed outToniJDined on 2/16/2014This restaurant was chosen for a birthday celebration. Our waitress was attentive and enhanced the celebration with a champagne toast. Our food choices were very good. I felt a bit put off by the manager who bumped into me several times and made me feel uncomfortable, almost as if to push us out.Special Features:
- Poor service and selectionRuxtonvetVIPDined on 2/16/2014Made a reservation but upon arrival were told this was restaurant week and all dishes were $30 with no substitutes or changed allowed. We left without eating and went elsewhere.
- Wonderful Brunch08DoddieVIPDined on 2/16/2014We had Brunch at the "B" because we had previously experianced a great dinner at the restaurant. It was in the summer and we ate outside. The Brunch was also delicious! My only comment is that the tables are tight and so it was not very comfortable inside for eating.Special Features:
- Loved the food...Not so jazzedMariaDined on 2/15/2014Loved the food...Not so jazzed on the wine list...Special Features:
- Terrific Neighborhood RestaurantTowsonDinerVIPDined on 2/15/2014B Bistro Is a wonderful find in Bolton Hill, Baltimore. I have dined here several times, and each meal is better than the last. The menu is varied, and eclectic, without being over-the-top different for different's sake. The restaurant is a converted corner townhouse, with scenic windows giving a nice view of the neighborhood. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect V-day DinnerRyGuyDined on 2/15/2014Every dish was delicious! I had the pan roasted grouper over crab risotto with sun-dried tomatoes; my boyfriend had a steak with lobster mac and cheese and asparagus. We loved every bite. Glad we live nearby so we can go back to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionsNikkiDined on 2/14/2014My husband took me here for Valentine's Day and the pre-fix menu was amazing, the service, ambience, wine and cheese list. I would highly recommend this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was frustrated to find thatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I was frustrated to find that the restaurant only offered the 4 course prix fixe; there was no option to order individual entrees. I knew about the prix fixe option on Valentine's Day, but I thought it was just that: an option. I found myself paying more than I intended, for food that was honestly quite subpar. Nothing I had was bad, but it certainly wasn't a fantastic meal. b bistro is not vegetarian friendly, either; they had alternatives, like the tofu au poivre, but only one entree option: I either had the tofu au poivre, for example, or nothing at all. For the first and second courses, I could choose from a small cheese plate, an arugula salad (on a bed of ham, though), or a plate of vegetables. I will not be returning or recommending.
- Clint is a great waiter...alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/9/2014Clint is a great waiter...always attentive to diner's needs and understands the flow of dining, always available but never intrusive. The food is creative and fun. Great spot for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still has service problemsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/2/2014Over the years I just have not figured out why this charming place with interesting and good food can't find wait staff who are pleasant, friendly and interested in giving customers a great visit. They continue to make me feel like a burden
- Superb BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2014We came here with a group of 8 friends for Sunday brunch. All agreed this was an outstanding experience - a great setting and lovely service. But the food was amazing - everyone needed a taste of the other plates to discover how consistent and high quality the food was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and food neverOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/1/2014great service and food never disappoints. has a real French bistro feel that makes it stand out in Baltimore. can't wait to go back, again.Special Features:
- nice dinnercld1Dined on 2/1/2014Four if us had a great time. Salads were very good, especially the poached beets. Tofu poivre disappointing as we expected a peppery dish but good. Mahi, veg plate great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect spot before a Eutaw PlacemegamamaDined on 2/1/2014Thank you for sponsoring the concerts at Eutaw Place in Reservoir Hill! We had a delicious and perfectly splendid meal before the show without feeling rushed . The French Malbec wine was delightful and the scallop in the Bouillabaisse was memorable...tender, moist and flavorful. I wish there had been two ! The Tuna Special was a beautifully balance dish. The tuna was seasoned nicely without overpowering the ahi. Wasabi potatoes were not too spicy and charred asparagus rounded the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot. 2nd Time GoingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/31/2014We really enjoyed the restaurant the first time we went during the week. Returned in a Friday night and it was very busy but also great the second trip. I'd suggest making a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationsRockyPhiladelphiaDined on 1/28/2014b, a Bolton Hill Bistro, was an impeccable experience from start to finish. Not only was the staff extremely accommodating about our reservation being changed to a later time in the evening, they were also very friendly, helpful and present throughout the evening. The mission of b Bistro, which is to serve local farm-to-table food has obviously grown in popularity over recent years. However, the execution of the lovely and seasonal menu at b Bistro is top-notch. I I had the pan seared grouper on top of crab risotto special which was utterly amazing. Definitely check the chalk board for specials before you make up your mind! Keep in mind that on Tuesday evenings their very well stocked wine list is half off for bottles over $35.00!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.