203 Octavia Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.strawsf.com/
- Phone: 4154313663x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Mon-Sat 5pm-10pm, Sun 5pm-9pm
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11am-2pm
Brunch: Sat-Sun 10am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Grifty McShill
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: From a simple lunch delivery to a fancy-schmancy seated dinner, Straw brings a little slice of carnival life to every event. Our catering team makes the planning process easy and fun. And, we"ll only bring a fire-breather upon request.
A word from Straw
Straw is a fun and comfortable restaurant in Hayes Valley that serves carnival-inspired comfort food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Straw reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (22)kid-friendly (16)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (8)hot spot (8)good for groups (7)late-night find (7)special occasion (6)great for outdoor dining (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Fun!!CandiceLDined on 6/13/2013Straw is fun food in a fun atmosphere. Not super fancy but definitely festive. There was a table next to us having a bday for an 8 year old--I'd say it's perfect for any age. The food definitely tends toward the unhealthy (fried etc) but again it's festive and the kind of food you wouldn't eat everyday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was interesting...bittwebDined on 6/8/2013Food was interesting...bit on heavy side as a lot is deep fried...would recommend balance with a salad (I had kids with me so we just split the favorites corn dogs, chick and waffle etc.). My kids loved it...would go again but try to balance with light fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very quick service, but notRooellaDined on 6/7/2013Very quick service, but not pushy! Was just very efficient. Food was very yummy. Very varied options and so very quirky. I had the ringmaster which is a cheeseburger served between 2 donuts. Sounds so wrong but tasted soooo good! My waiter was friendly and chatty. I arrived as it opened so was not at all busy but I can see these place getting packed out. Its hidden in a nice area, but I had heard of it so made the effort to come from the more touristy area. If I ever come back to San Francisco I will make the effort to get here again as I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnival Fair Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/20/2013Very novel idea of serving carnival food with a more upscale twist.Special Features:
- MediocreeeeeeVIPDined on 5/3/2013I live in the neighborhood, and hoped it would be an easy affordable option. Also, the service was slow and the food uninspired. The affordable prices did not make up for these inadequacies. I don't plan to return.Special Features:
- Comfort food with a carnivalOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/2/2013Comfort food with a carnival theme :) love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small ComfortTamarDined on 4/28/2013Interesting neighborhood hipster spot, with a fresh take on Southern comfort food. A little small and dingy for my taste, but still a fun experience nonetheless.
- Carnival food at its best:OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2013Carnival food at its best: mini-corn dogs & sweet potato tots for appetizers, cotton candy & deep-fried candy bars for dessert. The featured dish for the main meal is the Ringmaster: a hamburger patty slid inside a bun of two glazed donuts - and you can top it with cheese, bacon & egg. The donuts have gotten smaller since the first visit back in December so its less exciting now but there are other dishes to try. Check out the menu online. Its a tiny space, reservations are usually needed. Its a funky, vibrant space: leave you snooty dining pals at home.Special Features:
- i really enjoyed our carnietaggyleeVIPDined on 4/19/2013i really enjoyed our carnie fest at sraw! menus in old children's books, house-made potato chip nachos, a top-notch veggie cheesesteak, unidentified fried fun size candy bars, crayons, and my pink cotton candy cocktail was poured over real cotton candy right at the table!
- Definitely Recommend!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013Excellent waitress, great carnival insipired food, awesome price! Will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- LOVE this place -- very funOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2013LOVE this place -- very fun menu, inexpensive happy hour will decent quality selections, attentive staff and owner. It's very casual, verging on rustic interior, but the special touches (storybook cover menus, creative meals, snack and drink offerings, the carnival fun) make it both delightful and nourishing eats and experience. A hidden gem, for sure. A great alternative in the Hayes Valley area just before a show at the SFJazz Center.Special Features:
- Step Right UpLetopcatDined on 4/1/2013Fun stuff; some of the items were hit and miss. The peanut butter mousse with caramelized bacon should have been left in Mr. Wonka's recipe book.Special Features:
- Straw is the restaurant youOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/26/2013Straw is the restaurant you have to try! Creative and whimsy menu that while delicious will leave you full and regretting your decisions the next day. I had the fried chicken monte cristo, great combo but the chicken was under seasoned. For an appetizer we ordered the Mac attack and homemade potato chip nachos... Awesome choices!!Special Features:
- I enjoyed the makeup of theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013I enjoyed the makeup of the decorations and menu. Even the coloring activities on the desert menu was fun. I love the creativity on the menu. Highly suggest the mini corn dogs and the monte christo. I forget our waiters name, but he was really cool.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the carnival-inspireInTheBusinessDined on 3/7/2013Really enjoyed the carnival-inspired food at Straw. Great service, lots of fun.Special Features:
- Great Local JointDaveVIPDined on 3/6/2013It's a funky place with just good food & generous portions. Our waiter was casual (just like the restaurant) but was very attentive. Don't be put off with your first impression of the place. Great local joint!Special Features:
- Fun, friendly fare food!BooWhoVIPDined on 3/2/2013Fun and tasty food! Everyone working there is super friendly. The place is tiny and charming, but the temperature inside was a bit hot.Special Features:
- Good Carney FunOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2013What a creative menu and all the dishes were perfectly executed. We went back for dinner after having walked by and suffered food envy at brunch. We'd sadly already eaten and happened to be walking by afterwards. We went in for a coffee in the late afternoon and met the owner and talked about the dinner menu. He let us sit in the Tilt a Whirl and had a nice chat with us. Dinner met all of our previous food envy expectations so this is a definite addition to our favourites list for the City.Special Features:
- Good food and fun atmosphere.elpfilmsDined on 2/26/2013Good food and fun atmosphere. Wish for more variety on the menu. Loved the portabello sandwich.Special Features:
- A fun, casual dining spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/23/2013A fun, casual dining spot in a great location. We believe that Straw is a nice addition to the neighborhood and a place that we would like to visit again, and bring friends to. We will recommend Straw to anyone we know who is planning a day in The City. PS: I cannot thinking about the Strawberry Basil Lemonade.Special Features:
- Nummies!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/20/2013The service was awesome (friendly and helpful) and the food was quite tasty. The menu's bizarre offerings made it impossible to decide, i wanted to try everything. I wound up with the sriracha hot wings while my friend enjoyed the glazed donut burger. Both meals were outstanding along with the beverages. I don't remember the name of the drink but it had a fun dip rim-order it, you won't be disappointed. Save room for dessert-the flyer saucer is EPIC.Special Features:
- Don't come here on a diet,annekieDined on 2/14/2013Don't come here on a diet, but do come here for a unique dining experience. The server was so helpful and friendly. All the food was delicious (especially the mini corn dogs). Next time I might try the burger with two doughnuts as buns! The beer selection was good. All in all, a fantastic dining experience for dinner. Reservations recommended because the place is very small.Special Features:
- Delicious food, great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013This place was fantastic. The food was delicious, the service was fantastic. The decor was a great throwback to my childhood and a fun way to share some Americana with my girlfriend who grow up in Poland.Special Features:
- We went before the theatreLynnVIPDined on 2/12/2013We went before the theatre at the Orpheum! Great choice and it was Fat Tuesday too. We will be back! Our waiter was the best!Special Features:
- Fun and Amazing Food!SkalushVIPDined on 2/2/2013This was one of the most fun restaurants I have been to. They have a fun old time carnival feel, and the food matches up and doesn't disappoint. The chips appetizer is bomb, and you can't go wrong with the DONUT BURGER or Chicken and Waffle Monte Cristo!!!Special Features:
- whimsy is the correct wordJmsfoVIPDined on 2/1/2013whimsy is the correct word for this place and quite enjoyable!Special Features:
- Food was great. I'd go backChowhoundVIPDined on 1/30/2013Food was great. I'd go back again and again for their vegetarian chili. The place looks and feels like a leftover from the hippie days, but the food was worth the humble, very humble venue.
- My girlfriend and I came hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/5/2013My girlfriend and I came here for dinner for her birthday this year. We are both eating a gluten-free diet this year, but their menu has several gluten-free options and they were flexible with sides to make sure we could eat whatever we wanted. My girlfriend had the turkey leg, which was succulent and perfectly cooked. I had the Shepard's Pie which was fantastic. It's almost got a curry vibe to it, a little spicy with veggies and ground beef. The way the pearl onions hold their moisture while cooking inside the pie really makes this dish. The whole menu is creative and fun, which matches the ambience. They helped make my girlfriend's birthday special. Definitely worth a tripSpecial Features:
- Was a little disapointed whenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/2/2013Was a little disapointed when I ordered the cotton candy and got it in a bag! What happened to the bowls? Somehow eating it out of a bowl made me feel less guilty. Also there was no Blue Curacoa in our fish bowl :(
- great date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012Delicious fun food. We appreciated the gluten free and vegan options, as well as the delicate version of the chicken and waffles. The server was patient and honest with our endless questions. The drink selection is very original. We kind of wanted them to go over the top with the carnival ambience, but it's subtleness is tastefully done, none-the-less.Special Features:
- My experience here was slightlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/16/2012My experience here was slightly disappointing. I had made a reservation three weeks in advance for my boyfriend's birthday, and had requested special seating. My request was not honored, and the two items he wanted from the menu they ran out of. I was really excited to dine here, but came away disappointed.
- Fantastic food, not for dietersjal3137VIPDined on 12/14/2012Hilarious food choices. You could probably try to eat healthy there, but I have no idea why you'd go with that intention. Might as well go right for the glazed donut burger and the sweet potato tater tots. Friend and I had been saying we had to come here after having the taters at Outside Lands, and I'm so glad we did. Also includes good beer choices, and some cocktails, etc that we didn't try. Really great service as well. I didn't really like the ribs, not enough meat on them. But still all of the flavors were great. I'll go again.Special Features:
- What a fun night of food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/12/2012What a fun night of food! The service was great: both of our servers were very nice, funny and attentive. The food was delicious! Everything we got was yummy, especially the salad. I forget the name but it was an arugula salad with the most amazing dressing.Special Features:
- I'd make this more of a brunch/luncOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/7/2012I'd make this more of a brunch/lunch place than a dinner spot. Different, fun, quirky, with them-inspired food. A place to go when you've grown weary of your usual eateries.Special Features:
- This place is totally funOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/28/2012This place is totally fun and unique and the food is great - not finedining but a great place to go before a performance...lighten things up!Special Features:
- Very mediocre. Service wasstchungDined on 11/17/2012Very mediocre. Service was good, but the food itself is neither inventive nor particularly great. It's definitely below average for the genre.
- Came for my 15 year old brother'sKathleenMDined on 11/11/2012Came for my 15 year old brother's birthday and everyone in the group found something they liked (ages 15-60). Cool, unique, different restaurant.Special Features:
- I love the idea of this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2012I love the idea of this place but the execution was poor. The seats were ridiculously uncomfortable and half of our party was basically sitting on a ledge not a bench. When I take the time to make a reservation, nobody wants to be sitting with walls screws grinding into their back! The appetizers were very good and we looked forward to our main dishes but were deeply unimpressed. The veggie chili was cloyingly sweet. The burger was overdone. The tuna was good but that was the only main dish liked at our table! The place has potential but needs a lot of work. It would take a bit of work to get any of us back.
- Great place for dinner inOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2012Great place for dinner in Hayes Valley. Reservations are necessary -- it's a tiny place and it's packed every time I've been. The food is playful and delicious. Try the Dark & Gruesome salad with chicken, apples, blue cheese, bacon, and walnuts with an apple cider vinaigrette, or the huge turkey leg with homemade stuffing. The waiter, Justin, claimed he does the prep on the stuffing most mornings and eats about half of it. I believe him, it's that good.Special Features:
- Straw is a fun and inventiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2012Straw is a fun and inventive restaurant that takes some casual dishes and gives them a face / taste lift. The atmosphere is fun and playful and the restaurant keeps its charm. A great place to try!Special Features: