105 Reade Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
Puerto RicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sazonnyc.com/
- Phone: 2124061900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
- Executive Chef: Frank Maldonado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sazon
After nearly 3 successful years in Midtown Manhattan, owner of Sofrito, Genaro "JR" Morales decided it was time to expand and begin his search for a new location. Shortly thereafter, Sazon was born. An exciting and unique addition to Manhattan's downtown scene, Sazon brings authentic Puerto Rican cuisine to the heart of Tribeca. This dual-level establishment encompasses all the vibrancy and delectability of its sister location but adds a downtown flavor all its own. Open for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch: Sazon offers its patrons a variety of ways to experience Puerto Rican cuisine at its best. Buen ProvechoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sazon reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (34)special occasion (32)neighborhood gem (26)hot spot (25)romantic (24)fit for foodies (22)great for lunch (18)late-night find (14)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- ehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014Expected better tasting food. Very average, can get the same at home or at families. Crab cakes and shrimp were too fishy?? Fishy??Special Features:
- Great Food & AtmosphereKKatVIPDined on 6/8/2014While entertaining friends they requested Puerto Rican cuisine with a lively scene. This place was perfect. Everyone loved their food, except one said her skirt steak was a little dry. The service was slow at first but attributed that to an authentic "island vibe." Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgr8tfoodluvgr8tfoodDined on 6/8/2014Had a wonderful time. Great service and food! The waiter we had was very apologetic when our drinks took more than usual to get to our table. Some other waiter took our drinks and gave it to the people he was serving, but the waiter was great about it and he apologized for the delay of our drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinner!fasteddieDined on 6/7/2014Had great dinner for four. Chimichurri steak fantastic! Tostones, mofongo, beens n rice, shrimp, taro root. Every single item was great! Super portions. Outstanding service! I'm not big fan of the reggaeton/club music they play, but volume was ok. Fun place!! This was our 3rd visit. Love it at Sazon!!Special Features:
- Delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2014The pernil was absolutely amazing. So tender and flavorful. Also had the ropa vieja quesadilla which was fabulous. Great music as well. Not a quiet place but lots of fun.Special Features:
- The following 205 reviews are from the Sazon reviews archive.
- Great food, rude service...Sgchoate87Dined on 5/31/2014First we were greeted by a rude doorman who told us there was a dress code and he would "let it slide this time but if you come back in shorts I wont let you in." I was so mad I let the waiter know. A manager came, apologized and politely told us there was a dress code and he got that w/ warm weather people wear shorts but if he was there for an anniversary, he doesn't want to look over and see that. I'm sorry but a place meriting a dress code doesn't blast reggaeton, make staff sing bday songs, have filthy plastic chairs in the dining room. The waiters wore jeans. Not to mention the man sitting next to us was wearing DENIM shorts, and people on the other side of us were wearing Sopranos and Guns & Roses t-shirts! Nothing was said to them.
- Great Food in a Comfortable SettingAquagem620VIPDined on 5/25/2014This is my second time visiting this restaurant and it was just as good as the first. I chose Sazon because the atmosphere is lively, the drinks are good and the food is delicious! We had a wonderful time and enjoyed our meal very much. My boyfriend loved it! We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerRestaurantlover24Dined on 5/25/2014As usual my dining experience at Sazon was top notch. The food was great, the service was great and the atmosphere was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Que rico!abcladyDined on 5/24/2014Finally, really, authentic Puertorican food, and in a fun, upbeat environment. Huge portions, friendly service, great drinks. Love the atmosphere as well as the food. I'm from PR, so finding a restaurant that has real PR food is a real treat. And the food is delicious! Note: if you order the Pernil, share it with three other people. It's gigantic...and deliciously tender and flavorful. Oh, there's a bar lounge in the lower level that plays salsa, and is great for dancing after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud Puerto Rican deliciousnessMick13Dined on 5/22/2014I come from a Puerto Rican background and when I had my family visiting I knew I had to take them here for an authentic dining experience. The food was wonderful and tastes like the way my mom made certain dishes. Portions were great!Special Features:
- Authentic food in lively setting!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2014Great food, delicious drinks (skip the sangria and treat yourself to the coconut mojito!) and solid service in a boisterous and bustling high ceiling restaurant. The service team appears to be known for their birthday serenades and surrounding tables get in on the singing. Don't expect to have an intimate dinner where you can whisper sweet nothings in your date's ears- this is not that place! Good for groups and the downstairs, with its own bar and dance floor, seems to be perfectly set up for a night of salsa dancing or a small party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalAlexito1Dined on 5/11/2014Food was really good, ambience was great, the pork is amazing and our server JC was beyond attentive. I highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazinglopez1186Dined on 5/11/2014I made a 3:15 reservation and I didn't have to wait a second to be seated! I'm Puerto Rican so the music really had me sold aside from the delicious food!!! It tasted like home made food that my grandmother made! Everything was amazing.Special Features:
- receptionlove2eatoutDined on 5/11/2014I made reservations and took my wife and my son for mothers day sunday as we came in the girl in the front greeted us with "can I help you"??? Dumb founded I said table for 3 and she replied "oh you just want to drink?" I held back what I really wanted to say and just simply said I made reservations for 1 pm. "Oh let me check". Mind you the place was completely empty and no other party arrived not till about hour and half later. Other than this it was pretty nice and over priced. Tip was included on the bill for party of 3???. Great food though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much commotionCeejayDined on 5/10/2014I have been to Sazon many times and only go back because of the food. Our reservation was at 8:15 and we were seated at 9. There were so many other groups waiting to be seated that were fighting with the hostess about the long wait. Our waiter seemed distracted because he had a large group next to our table. I felt we had to wave him down for every little thing- a drink menu, to take our order, a fork and knife that was missing on the table, to wrap our food up and even for another drink that we ordered but he never brought to the table. It was the night before Mother's Day so that added to the madness, but I've had similar issues in the past.Special Features:
- DeliciosoChellaDined on 5/10/2014The food, service, ambiance -- all terrific. We had a very nice time; will def return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for partiesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014Great for special occasions and night out with friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice but too many birthdaysYummy32VIPDined on 4/30/2014I love Saxon but every time I go there are at least 10 tables celebrating birthdays. It gets annoying after 5 or 6x you hear the birthday song. Food is great. Service good but if you are not in to your dinner being interrupted by a bday song every 10 mins then this place ain't for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to have DinnerJen2315Dined on 4/29/2014The place was amazing and the food was great . Only thing I didn't like was the blonde spanish girl flirting with my mam while we were with our kids. But the drinks and food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PR in NYIvyPDined on 4/27/2014Love coming here, I am reminded of all the wonderful meals I have when I go to the motherland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SERVICEluvgr8tfoodDined on 4/25/2014Went to celebrate my brother in laws birthday and we all had a great experience. Food was delicious and waiter was great! I would return for another celebration!Special Features:
- Good Spanish dinningIlike2dineDined on 4/19/2014Nice decor, good food and drinks. They have a lounge/bar in the lower level. I would eat hear again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ehh... Food yummmRosaeDined on 4/17/2014The food is great but the service needs help. The ladies in the front will tell you to wait about 15 minutes downstairs by the bar for your table. As soon as the 15 minutes are over, they will tell you to wait another 15 minutes! Once you get to the basement, you get no cell reception on your cellphone. If you were waiting for your group to come and if they needed to contact you, you will need to step outside to talk or text. Other than that, the was food was 5 stars. I enjoyed everything and have no complaints. I suggest trying something you don't eat often. It's a great spot to meet up after work and for a birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my two centsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/17/2014Small location and felt rushed having dinner on a Thursday night. To many people hanging around bar waiting for tables. You will be sitting very close to table next to you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lopsided Food Ratings At LunchRickyVIPDined on 4/17/2014The ambiance for this place is excellent; upscale without being pretentious or stuffy. The lounge/salsa background music was a nice touch as well. The staff was professional, and the 9 of us in my group had no errors in our orders. The only issue is that the food. Not that any of it was bad, but not all of it was phenomenal. My El Cubano sandwich was only okay; but the appetizers were excellent. The salad was awesome, but the rice was just good. This mixture keeps this location from getting an excellent grade on my food scale (I am stingy with my stars). However, I would definitely go back and give them another chance. Perhaps try the drinks and write another review. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- late lunch-early dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014Not open for lunch on a Saturday so we ate when they opened at 4pm. Usually this is awkward when you're the first guests but they made us feel so comfortable. They even switched TV station to the golf masters for us. My husband and I really like to try different kinds of foods but our 18 and 21 yr olds were not looking forward to coming. They changed their minds once we started with appetizers (you must get empanadas--the guava sauce was amazing). The sangria is also a must-have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDRdidiDined on 3/27/2014It was my first time in this place and as soon as I got there I loved the ambience. The food was excellent and the drinks were really good too. At the end of my dinner a girl passing by my table spilled my drink on my dress. Management and their staff went above and beyond trying to comfort me and apologetic for the incovenience. I thought that was very nice considering the fact that it wasn't their fault. I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Coworkers night out.Restaurantlover24Dined on 3/27/2014My dining experience at Sazon was awesome. Friendly service great food and drinks can ask for anything more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but loud musicMusicVIPDined on 3/22/2014Great vibrant scene but forget about a romantic evening. You cannot hear yourself talk. Get there before 730pm if not long wait.Special Features:
- Very good food and serviceAmarismom1Dined on 3/22/2014I was very please with the service, it was fast and th server was very happy an friendly! And the the food was excellent! Will definately go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencegoodfoodDined on 3/14/2014from the hostess seating us at a great table to the food it was a great night with good food!!!! thanks sazon for a great experience!Special Features:
- Way too expensive. They raisedJasmineDined on 3/7/2014Way too expensive. They raised the prices on everything and changed the quality of food. I wish the originally owner was still charge. 70$ for 5 drinks was way too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service.Foodie0241Dined on 3/7/2014Waited 1.5 hours WITH a reservation and hostess couldn't even give an estimate as to when our table would be ready . We eventually had to pull the floor manager who was busy socializing with pple he knew at a table. We were seated shortly after and our waiter was great. Overall had a bad experience and wouldn't go back or recommend this place. Considering the thousands of restaurants to visit in NYC ... Why would I go back somewhere that wasn't even apologetic for the wait. No thanks . First impressions are everything and Sazon should have done better . The food was good but I've been to other Cuban/Puerto Rican restaurants and had the same dish better elsewhere . Nothing to rave about.Special Features:
- Long wait with reservationFoodGroupieDined on 3/7/2014My only problem with this restaurant was waiting to be seated. We had a reservation for three at 8:15pm and wasn't seated till 9:30Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great! However ,Love2eatDined on 3/7/2014Food was great! However , I did wait 2 hours to be seated with reservations .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my first time atvixen105Dined on 3/7/2014This was my first time at Sazon and I enjoyed myself. The food and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/7/2014Was a 2 hour lunch. We had to ask for everything twice - the drinks, the appetizers, the lunch, the bill. Literally, everything twice. The appetizers took about 25 - 30 minutes to come out. The waiter actually overcharged us on the sangria and added in a 20% gratuity on a table for four. Who does that? We had to then wait longer for him to deduct the overage on the drinks and remove the tip. The waiter was always hard to get a hold of and the restaurant was only about half full. I definitely would not go back.
- simiDined on 3/7/2014Really great food and service. Came in for restaurant week and came back again with a friend from out of town--loved the tilapia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodMarysMouthwateringDined on 3/6/2014I've had a birthday dinner and recently taken my family out for dinner to Sazon and although the food is great, it's very busy so you have to get what you need when your waiting is at the table. On any given night there are at least 5-8 ppl celebrating their birthdays. They cater to big crowds and small intimate couples or a few girlfriends but the $35 gratuity fee added on to the bill with just me and my two daughter 9 & 14 was a bit excessive. We barely got any service, had to wait for refills of water, napkins and extra drinks. The scene is always energetic and I would go back but the servers need to tend to the tables more and EARN their tipsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced for under flavored foodArgentaTanoDined on 3/6/2014We went because it was close to where we were and it was participating in restaurant week.For $38 +tax+tip each you get an app (we got fried calamari and fried shrimp) then we both got a paella as our entree and the coconut flan and a chocolate cake thing with dulce de leche ice cream We had 3 drinks too$14 ea. The appetizers were nothing special or nothing out if the ordinary. The paella however was full of shellfish but all of it was lacking taste. Very disappointing. I believe that the seafood was probably frozen hence the lack of taste The deserts were yummy. But nothing special. Btwn the 2 of us we spent $178! So would I recommend the place can't say I would buy can't say that I wouldn't.Maybe we were unlucky with our choice of foodSpecial Features: