Zin American Bistro
198 S Palm Canyon Dr
Palm Springs, CA 92262Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Zin American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://pszin.com/
- Phone: 7603226300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily 11:00 - 3pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Bowman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two rooms available for private parties. One is the main dining room which seats 65. In our "wine room" we also have seating for 40. Chef Klontz will make a menu to suit your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Mindy Reed 7603226300
- Special Events: We are available for reception dinners and will reserve our restaurant for your special party. Seating available for up to 130
A word from Zin American Bistro
Zin American Bistro is an attempt to modernize and Americanize the traditional French Bistro concept. With Zin recently receiving 3 ½ stars and a review of “quite possibly the best food for the money in the Coachella Valley” from author Peter Osbaldeston’s Palm Springs Dining Bible, Chef Nicolas Klontz and wine director Mindy Reed have indeed raised the bar of casual fine dining in Palm Springs. Zin has over 200 wines on their list and has won the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 5 years. With choices from the Kobe Style Beef Burger ($16) and Mussels & Frites($18) to the Rabbit ($25) or a Prime Hanger Steak ($26) there is something for everyone. Be sure to save room for some house made desserts and a glass of port for a perfect finish. Attentive, friendly yet unobtrusive service with Wine Director Reed available to guide you thru her carefully selected wine list and Chef Klontz greeting diners personally between courses make dining at Zin a night to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zin American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (64)fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (41)special occasion (38)notable wine list (25)romantic (24)good for groups (21)great for lunch (16)hot spot (14)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (5)late-night find (2)Show More
- A bit of a disappointmentSamosaLoverDined on 2/15/2014Second time here... Food was medicre, even delivered cold.. pricey for what you got compared to closeby establishments good wine prices good serviceSpecial Features:
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014My wife and I booked here for Valentine's Day dinner and expected great things. They have a fabulous location in the heart of Palm Springs. There was a special menu for the day. The menu sounded fantastic however the taste of the food was mediocre to be kind. Espresso after the meal was awful as well. The restaurant has lots of potential but unless the chef kicks it up a notch they will suffer. Palm Springs has lots of other hot spots vying for your business .Special Features:
- Great place for Valentine's DayJuVeDined on 2/14/2014We went to California for a week and dined at Zin on Valentine's Day. They had a lovely pre fixe menu for the event. The mushroom soup, duck breast with a marmelade sauce, and dessert were all very nice. Good service. Would go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...tacarigirlDined on 2/14/2014It was Valentine's evening. I expected good food and a romantic ambience. This was not the place. The tables were pushed close together for accommodating more patrons. Not so romantic. It was load and crowded. The meal was a prefixed meal. I ordered the duck entree, it was one of the worst meal I had ever eaten. A little mound of cooked spinach and a deep fried 3 inch square piece of polenta (it was gritty and dry) was plopped by this little portion of duck! No garnishes, poor presentation! I ordered creme brulee. Another sad tale. It tasted like baby pudding with course sugar thrown on top. No burnt sugar glaze. I would not recommend this restaurant to any of my friends or family. Very poor.Special Features:
- Great PickhappydinersDined on 2/10/2014Had eaten there a few years back (we are winter season visitors) and had not had reservations, just walk in. Got stuck in the back by the kitchen pantry, so ambiance was not great, but the food was terrific. Reservations, thru Open Table, easy to do, mentioned our previous experience in comments. Were DELIGHTED with this visit. As anticipated, the food was great again, I had special of the day swordfish, perfectly prepared to medium rare, just the way I like it. Husband had chicken schnitzel which was equally well prepared. AMBIANCE excelled. They had pre-determined what table, then also said we could choose any other if we wished. We took the one they had chosen and were not disappointed, one row off sidewalk row. We'll be BACK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wan't disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/8/2014I am a Palm Springs regular and for whatever reason, never eaten at Zin. We have gone to the place across the street, Lulu"s several times- never really impressed so wanted something different. We made a 9:30 reservation since we were seeing the follies up the street. Well, the follies didn't end until 9:45- so by the time we arrived we were very late. We were welcomed and felt nothing but comfort from everyone. I have read the reviews about service but I found the opposite. We sat outside which was a little noisy but it was warm. Wine and martini's were excellent. Food was very good- the adult mac/cheese wasn't what we expected but everything else was very good especially the stew. I'll be back! Don't pass it by-Special Features:
- great experienceHmmmmnVIPDined on 2/8/2014Once a year we bring a big group of friends here to eat after riding the Pal Springs Century. We had 11 this year, and they did a great job. EVERYONE loved their food. They did great pouring wine we brought in. The room was loud, but mostly because of us. Can't recommend this overall experience highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014Organic roasted chicken was heavenly. Tasted like "real" chicken. Husband had swordfish and was very happy. Our vegan friend ordered the vegetables and said it was the best meal she had had in a long time. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too muchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/6/2014The food was fine, though not remarkable. The server was a problem... too chatty, too friendly, too clever while failing at some of the basic tasks; like removing used glasses, plates, and flatware in a timely fashion. If all that is the busperson's job then it's the server's job to see it gets done. The restaurant wasn't all that busy while we were dining so there's really no excuse for such service shortcomings. I think we'll take this one off our list for next year.
- A Palm Springs GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/6/2014When we visit this area, this is our restaurant of choice as the entire experience is so enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT EVERYTHING....LovesGoodFoodVIPDined on 1/20/2014I always know what to expect when having dinner or lunch at Zin, perfection!!! The attentive service, fresh flavorable food and overall experience is why I continue to come back on a regular basis. The patio is fun to people watch and enjoy the great weather. We all ordered the duck which was the special of the day, tender and jucy which is why we ate it all. :)Special Features:
- Desert deliteLuluDined on 1/17/2014Great experience. Very good service, good food and great prices. Sitting on the patio very nice on a cool desert nite.Special Features:
- Remains one of the best!TheColonelVIPDined on 1/17/2014I eat here on my 4-5 times per visits per year to Palm Springs, we always look forward to dinner or lunch at Zin. This visit 3 of us tried the priex-fixe lunch menu, we were all happy with the portion, quality, selections and price. I'll make the statement that they make the best truffle infused mushroom soup this side of Paris!!! I enjoyed a great German Riesling by the glass. Very easy free street parking or several lots within walking distance. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a happening.LQLadyDined on 1/9/2014Great place to have dinner during the Thursday evening street fair. Very vibrant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much ImprovedSusGBVIPDined on 1/8/2014Zin has undergone a revamp of decor and now has a full bar. When we last visited a couple of years ago, it was decidedly downscale in appearance. The food was delicious. Very accommodating too.Special Features:
- Always Consistently FabulousDocRonDined on 1/5/2014Every visit to Zin is a treat. The menu satisfies many tastes and the wine list, for those of you who are wine snobs, is complete with a variety of type, regions and price levels for everyone. The service is not obtrusive and is polite and professional. Nicole, who is the manager and keeps it "together", is a gem and makes you feel like you are the only special guest in the restaurant. I recommend it to everyone who either visits the Desert or is a local.Special Features:
- Something has changedRobertDined on 1/4/2014My wife and I have been meaning to return to Zin as we so enjoyed it last time. While the service and staff were warm and greeting and very attentive the food just wasn't the same. I had the prefixed menu whitefish which was fair at best and my wife had the roasted vegetables which she didn't even want to finish as they were bland and not prepared very well. We won't be returning.
- New Years Eve DinnerKTownerDined on 12/31/2013The New Years Eve dinner at Zin was disappointing. Zin is usually consistently an excellent restaurant, however on New Years Eve they missed the mark! Both our meals were not up to the level we have come to expect when eating at Zin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happiest New Year!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013My partner and I planned NYE back in the desert for the first in years. We made reservations at our favorite spot; Zin! Our numbers changed from 2 to 5 to 9 when word got out where we were going. Mindy, Nicole and her team didn't miss a beat! On a very busy, exciting night, our service was great, everyone's dinner was beautiful and tasty! Imagine a melt in your mouth venison that isn't gamey! The menu keeps evolving while preserving the classic favorites well! As always Mindys wine choices are perfect! We are thankful for having such a fantastic place to enjoy great food, wine, and wonderful people who are like a family doing a great job, right in our own backyard! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If it's New Year's Eve...PSdaddyoDined on 12/31/2013...it's got to be Zin. Prix fixe menu made special for the occasion. Always something to discover on the wine list. ALWAYS attentive service. And where better to watch people making their way along Palm Canyon and into the new year...thank you ZIn.Special Features:
- Agreeing with the underwhelmeddonRobertoDined on 12/30/2013Many of the reviewers were underwhelmed with Zin's service and food. I have to agree. Nothing terrible, just a little long on seeing a server and not particularly wowed by the entrees. My boyfriend got the cucumber martini and was disappointed that it was not refreshing as the menu description described. My sister got the mushroom soup and thought it was delicious, but her hangar steak was tough. I at the veal meatballs with spaetzel and think that may have been the best item on the table. We passed on the dessert.
- Good food, reasonably pricedstefanoDined on 12/30/2013It was nice to see Belgian dishes heritage from the previous chef. Service kind and prompt. Overall a good restaurant in the heart of Palm SpringsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2013Went here with a group of friends. Everyone enjoyed their meal and the service was good. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Palm Springs's bestfudiVIPDined on 12/28/2013A fine bistro, attentive service, very good food. Not just a safe bet. A delight.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, casual diningDiningDivaDined on 12/28/2013The food at Zin is interesting and delicious! The crab and tomato tower makes an excellent, light lunch. The soups are flavorful. Our group of five enjoyed the cuisine for a casual lunch before the Follies matinee. We highly recommend Zin!Special Features:
- SurprisedlouiseknowsVIPDined on 12/27/2013Have seen Zin American Bistro for years and it never really appealed to me. I was pleasantly surprised and happy we went. Vary nice varied menu with just enough dishes to choose. The food and service were very good and our server was very nice and professional. They also have some very nice inventive cocktails. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best food in P.S.NathanielDined on 12/27/2013Friday night after Christmas. Sat outside next to the railing with a gas heater keeping us warm. The food is still wonderful, as is the wine list. I had beet, chevre, grapefruit & pine nut salad; just the right combination of sweet, sour and salty. My companion had the hamburger special and was delighted. Great people-watching, too. This is the third Christmas season I've eaten at Zin, even though I live in Singapore. Maybe it's becoming a tradition. I haven't ever been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always enjoy the food andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013We always enjoy the food and service has always been good. We had a group of eight this time and everybody thought it was "yummy"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must in Palm SpringsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/26/2013From the moment you arrive and greeted by a fantastic hostess this restaurant rewards you a true dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ummmm, not the worst but…...VortexDined on 12/26/2013Service was mediocre, food was average, small portions. Zin didn't have the wine they recommended but after we chose another, it was served well AFTER our food had been served. The mussels were served with no sauce - therefore dry The fried chicken with gravy had no gravy to be found. It tasted nice - but there were far more bones than meat on any piece. There should have been at least on meaty breast or thigh - it was all bones. Sand Dabs were one small 1/4 dab, yet they were the most expensive thing on the menu. If you are running out of your signature dish - that 86 it and come up with a special alternative.Special Features:
- Disorganized but tastyMikeDined on 12/26/2013we came an hour before our reserved time during Palm Springs' weekly Villagefest. Even though there were a number of tables available the hostess said "We're slammed and can't take you yet." They had run out of menus and the place was in minor chaos. We sat at the bar waiting for a table and decided to eat there instead. The bartenders were working very hard and finally found two menus for us. Once we were able to order the food arrived pretty quickly and was delicious. My steak tartar was excellent as was my wife's Carpaccio. We think the chaos was due to the hostess and wait staff rather than the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodAthedesertDined on 12/26/2013Good food, good service, I left my credit card at the restaurant, they call me and keept my credit card until next day, thanks!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The jury is still out....PSPdinningVIPDined on 12/26/2013A few weeks ago we had dinner here and it was one of the best experiences we had had in a while. So we decided to share our excitement with two of our friends the day after Christmas. Unfortunately the experience was entirely the opposite. In fairness maybe they were understaffed but after waiting 15 min for a server I finally asked the hostess to take our drink order. Everything about the meal was slow and we were not attended to at all. (I also eventually asked a bus boy to take our desert order). We will give it another go. Nicole the hostess is great and if you can, ask for Aaron the waiter.... he's the best. Three out of the four of us were very happy with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Palm Springs cuisineGregaDined on 12/25/2013Always interesting food. Perfect friendly service. Good fun location and you don't feel robbed when you leaveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Dinner in Palm SpringsTomBVIPDined on 12/25/2013We enjoyed Christmas dinner after a day of traveling. The service provided by Dominick and the quality of food on the prix fixe menu were excellent. Dominick carefully explained the menu options to us and made suggestions that we took him up on. The salmon entrée was perfectly cooked. There is an ample wine list available as well. If you are interested in fine dining while in Palm Springs, I strongly recommend the Zin American Bistro. Families, couples, and large groups will feel comfortable here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Service and Menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/25/2013Outstanding Service and Menu. The Wine List is great!Special Features:
- Expected MoreStillWorkingOnItDined on 12/21/2013Not the dining experienced I had hoped for given the positive reviews I read. The mussels I ordered were the stringiest I'd ever eaten and after sharing that perspective with the waiter, he said he'd let the cook know and that was that. No attempt to "right the wrong" or please a dissatisfied patron. Would not go back there again.
- Great foodmustchrVIPDined on 12/21/2013This was our first night in Palm Springs after an exhausting travel day. The food was excellent and the service was too. It was a great meal and the Christmas decorations were a beautiful touch. We thought we'd miss the Christmassy touches of home, but many PS restaurants have decked the halls very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerLovesGoodFoodVIPDined on 12/19/2013It's always nice coming to Zin for a good meal with attentive service that is also affordable. The food is always fresh and just the right portion to have room for desert. The special offers and promotions makes it easy to be a regular customer. I like the loyalty program to rewards me for keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experience, good foodRetiredInBoyntonBeachVIPDined on 12/15/2013Pleasant experience, good food, interesting wine list. They aim to please.Special Features: