1298 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.crabcatcher.com/
- Phone: 8584549587x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00pm - 3:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - Close, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jon Burwell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Spectacular view of ocean marine life and sea-going activities.
A word from Crab Catcher
La Jolla's premier seafood restaurant, consistently #1 with locals and visitors, enjoys a spectacular ocean view and patio dining. The freshest of seafood and shellfish our specialty; the exciting flavors of California and the Pacific Rim our inspiration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crab Catcher reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (119)special occasion (84)great for outdoor dining (79)romantic (79)fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (31)great for lunch (30)great for brunch (28)notable wine list (24)good for groups (17)hot spot (9)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Terrible seatingJasetteDined on 5/11/2014My party of 6 guests were squeezed into a small table usually meant for 5 people. When I asked the server whether or not the table was too small, she simply stated, "It's usually meant for five people. But the longer table on the side is in the sun and we wanted to keep you all in the shade." There were other bigger tables that could have fit us, but she disregarded them. Later on a party of 5 was seated in a bigger table which was in the shade. It does not make sense to make 6 people squeeze in a small table and seat 5 people in a bigger table. Accommodations were poor as we squeezed in uncomfortably in the obviously too-small table throughout our meal. And then I still tipped at the mandatory 18% because it was a holiday? Horrible.Special Features:
- maryDined on 5/11/2014My absolute favorite seafood restaurant in San Diego. The food is fantastic, the view gorgeous, and the service superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfunctoryawfulcatVIPDined on 5/9/2014Despite them not being busy and me calling out on OpenTable that this was an early Mother's Day lunch, they didn't provide the view table they could have, and didn't acknowledge the event at all. Food and service were both adequate, not worth the money. It'd been 3 years since I ate here and based on Friday's lunch, it'll be another three.Special Features:
- A Perennial FavoriteJohnnyIDined on 5/8/2014Great food. Great service. Great atmosphere and view. Been dining here off and on since 1986 without disappointment. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Amazing service and food!WanedaDined on 5/7/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here and the staff was awesome. Two employees congratulated us and my request to be near a window was granted. The food selection was amazing. We ordered a seafood combo they offered that feed two, it was delicious! The service we received from our server Kevin was excellent. Would definitely recommend this restaurant for those that love crab and lobster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Food and service was top-notched. If the owners update the decor, this place would be worth it to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delectable cuisine matches viewYummy1VIPDined on 4/29/2014While the Crab Catcher may have been around since my parents' day, it is still has the best views of the La Jolla coastline. The views are incredible from the dining room, patio and bar. The food matches the view, the gourmet seafood menu is so delicious. Every course we had was beautifully presented, prepared to perfection and tasted sublime. While hot spot neighboring restaurants along Prospect Ave. may be crowded and more trendy, the Crab Catcher remains a wonderful place to relax and enjoy a special occasion with a wonderful dining experience. The service was friendly, professional and well informed. Kudos to Crab Catcher for staying top notch after all these years.Special Features:
- excellent birthday lunchMaggiemayDined on 4/29/2014always enjoy the food & view at the Crab Catcher! Had the best table in restaurant for my birthday lunch! Thanks for making it so special. expensive but worth it for a special occasion. If they had comped a dessert, that would have made it even better;-), maybe next time!Special Features:
- Excellent ExperiencecjstudDined on 4/27/2014I bought the groupon that they had awhile back and it prompted us to visit here for the first time. Everyone was so nice, we got a seat right by the window so we could see the cove. Our waiter (Daniel) was so prompt and nice. They were spot on for taking away used plates and utensils and replacing them with new ones. Overall it was an excellent experience. Definitely on the pricey side, but great quality and worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View - Probably Won't ReturnSoSoVIPDined on 4/24/2014I was looking forward to trying this place but I don't think we would go back except for maybe happy hour. I don't mind paying more for great food, service, or a view, but the only thing great here was the view. The food was mediocre at best, and the service was just average, getting most of the order wrong, and didn't seem to care much. He said he would talk to the manager, but no one ever stopped by our table. The view is awesome, but thats about it - especially for what they charge -with those prices, it should be a 5 star experience.
- Great experienceMWTHDined on 4/23/2014We had a great experience at Crab Catcher while on our visit to San Diego. We had wonderful service and an excellent dinner of scallops with a glass of wine while sitting at a window table looking out on La Jolla cove. They have parking at a ramp next to the restaurant to make that easy. What could be better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchGratefulDinerDined on 4/20/2014The greeting, service, and ambiance were wonderful. Gentle live music was a nice touch. Sufficient space between tables, and a spectacular view of La Jolla Cove and Shores. Service was very attentive and not interruptive. Food was very good, but the crab in the stuffed mushrooms did not taste fresh. Overall, the food was quite satisfactory, and the dining experience was very nice. I would definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingchefsDined on 4/19/2014We have been a regular customer of the Crab Catcher for special occasions for the past several years. On this date I invited a dear friend who had traveled from the East Coast to San Diego for a special dinner on her last evening in San Diego. As usual, the ambiance was delightful, but the food was disappointing. The tiger prawn shrimp included only five small shrimp, which were overcooked. My friend ordered crab stuffed ravioli with mushroom sauce. The ravioli had a scant amount of filling swimming in sauce. The large mushrooms were so tough, and the filling contained pieces of shell. Needless to say, I will not repeat the experience.
- Great food and Wonderful Viewsdinnerandadate98Dined on 4/19/2014My wife and enjoyed our Anniversary dinner at the Crab Catcher. The food and service were excellent. We enjoyed the sounds of sea lions barking while overlooking the Pacific ocean.Special Features:
- Mini MEALS A SUCCESSseniorDined on 4/14/2014AS a senior, I appreciate portion control, yet being able to taste different favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Birthday CelebrationPattyDined on 4/14/2014We had the most beautiful view from our table, overlooking La Jolla Cove, on the most beautiful day! My mother, my daughter, and I were celebrating my birthday. Crab Catcher is always our first choice. The view, the service, the food were amazing! They always have my favorite wine and my birthday dessert was probably the best dessert I've ever had! Thank you, Crab Catcher!Special Features:
- Great food and service!ChrisGVIPDined on 4/13/2014Our view was amazing! Took my wife and 14 year daughter and we all enjoyed it. The steaks and seafood were all cooked perfect. But the service was the best I have had in years. I would recommend the crab catcher to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From the salad to the appetizergracekelleyDined on 4/13/2014From the salad to the appetizer then dinner. Our whole experience was fabulous! Special birthday night worth the drive.Special Features:
- Go For The View-Eat Somewhere ElseBTeamInLAVIPDined on 4/13/2014Had lunch on the patio overlooking La Jolla Bay. What a beautiful view. Restaurant is very pretty, and the service was very good. Started with the New England Clam Chowder, which was pasty and tasteless. The soup had very little clams or anything else. Good if you want to hang wallpaper. The Louis seafood salad was also disappointing. Rubbery shrimp that seemed like they came from the frozen food isle at Costco, only the Costco shrimp are better. Same with the crab, what little there was of it. Louis dressing was bitter and it kept repeating on me for hours, reminding me that I should have eaten somewhere else.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014A fantstic place to eat, with great food, wine and service. The view help a liitle as well of course!!! A must to visit.Special Features:
- OVERPRICED!!!!ttttastytreatzDined on 4/12/2014The restaurant is really good although the portions are in no way in line with price being charged. $62 for a 1 1/2 lb lobster? I can go to The Palm Restaurant and get an AMAZING 3lb Nova Scotia lobster for $75. The Crab Bisque was very good but there was only about 6 spoonfuls. The Crab and Avocado Ceviche, good and flavorful however they were served on 4 tortilla chips, meaning 4 spoons of Ceviche. To me, extremely overpriced, extremely small portions.
- When it's good it's great.jataylorDined on 4/12/2014We ate here once and it was absolutely fantastic! Seriously great food: the mushroom & crab ravioli was light, lemony and superb. The ahi tacos were fresh and crisp and the crab cakes had absolutely no filler and was on top of a lovely leek salad. Our service (originally on a Sunday evening) was great and the view from their side patio is exceptional. We loved it so much we returned a week later during the work week and received less than stellar service at an inside table with a disappointing food. The food (much of the same order as before) was simply lacking flavor and somehow made it to our table barely warm. I do so hope it was just a fluke the second time around. Our first experience was so good that we are willing to try again.Special Features:
- Great ambiencedonnah54Dined on 4/6/2014Lovely view, efficient staff, delicious food, pleasant in every way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved it!!!CswanDined on 4/5/2014Great location, great service, amazing food!!! I ended up at Crab Catcher without knowing anything about it and I was happily surprised with everything. Thank you for providing me such a nice evening!!! Looking forward to go back there and have more red king crab. To die for!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crabcatcher SpecialsRosebudeDined on 4/2/2014There were 3 specials the evening we ate there. My husband had the bone in rib eye (16oz) It was wonderfully delish. I had the trio crab, shrimp, and swordfish also very good. My dinner came with cream corn polenta. That was not my cup of tea. It tasted like under cooked doughy corn bread. We started our dinner with clam chowder. It was very good but could have been warmer. We noticed they have a nice happy hour. We will go back for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delious Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2014Another delicious brunch - Crab Catcher is the place we like to go for brunch - we ordered a combination of breakfast & lunch items. Loved the delicious specials and free-flowing champagne. And you can't beat the view - it must be the best in La Jolla over looking the Cove. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big DisappointmentjonathonstoneVIPDined on 3/29/2014Absurdly overpriced for mediocre food. The halibut was overwhelmed by a kind sweet corn polenta. Cioppino was overly spicy. If the restaurant is going to charge high end prices, then the quality of the food should be high end.
- Just for the "crab" of it!RoseDined on 3/28/2014Our second time here, and just as good as the first. Love the CRAB!!!!! Great service and view. Despite not being near the window we still had a great view. The service was friendly, informative, and quick. We all had the Red (Bering Sea) King Crab Legs. Perfect portion. One guest added a filet, prepared just right. We had the calamari appetizer, good, but if we had more belly room would prefer more. We would recommend this to just about anybody for just about any occasion. It is expensive, but, the food, ambience, and service makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner at Crab CatcherCharlieDined on 3/25/2014Crab Catcher is kind of an institution; it doesn't get much thought when people are interested in new and trendy spots in La Jolla. That may be fair - but Crab Catcher it is a wonderful restaurant and it fits almost any occasion - celebration, romantic dinner, kind of casual but a little sophisticated and so forth. It's kind of cool, but you still feel fine taking kids there. We had steak and seafood; both were cooked just right. Crab Catcher makes one of the better Dirty Martinis I have had in a while. The service was great and we had a wonderful table with a nice ocean view. Bonus - we have a service dog; the whole staff was wonderful and accomodating with her ... interested but not too distracting. Great dinner; thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobo's beatboboDined on 3/19/2014One of the best views in Southern Calif., fantastic oysters, great ambience, great wine list(mostly out of my price range)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful outdoor dining!ChrisVIPDined on 3/13/2014Had a wonderful outdoor dining experience. I had the salmon which was perfectly cooked and seasoned. The wait staff was attentive and welcoming. I will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dining experience was just okcfoodDined on 3/12/2014my dish - Tombo Albacore was just ok. In fact, another guest at the table next to me sent it back for another dish. My wife's entrée, halibut, was very tasty. It has been years since I dined here and I was disappointed. The table we had left a lot to be desired. It was for 2 persons up against a window with a terrible view of a roof in one direction. My seat had ZERO view. This table looks like it was added to just squeeze more people into the restaurant-not a good idea. There are a lot of great restaurants in La Jolla - George's at the Cove, Marine room- in the same price category with better tasting food and views.Special Features:
- WE WERE A PARTY OF FOUR. HADCHASEDined on 3/6/2014WE WERE A PARTY OF FOUR. HAD AN EARLY RESERVATION AND SAT IN THE WINDOW OVERLOOKING THE COVE. SERVICE WAS GOOD. FOOD WAS GOOD TOO. I HAD HEARD IT WAS PRICEY AND IT WAS BUT, FOR THE OCASSION, I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. THERE ARE LESS EXPENSIVE RESTAURANTS IN THE AREA BUT, THEY DO NOT HAVE THE AMBIANCE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shocked & DisappointedGailMarieDined on 3/4/2014The rowdy and uncontrolled table in the dining room, and the total lack of respect for the other 4 tables of diners was beyond belief. It ruined the entire evening when expressed disturbance by more than our table brought no relief from Management. The couple next to us said they felt like they were in "Chuckie Cheese". We were looking forward to a nice dinner in an upscale restaurant. At the end of our evening, which we cut short, a manager apoligized for not doing anything and sent us home with one comped dessert. Really? Would not recommend and would not return. The question re: noise does not give a category of TOO LOUD. It should.
- Nice lunch spotKATSDDined on 3/3/2014We ordered the Crab Bisque Soup (loved it), the Garlic and Citrus Grilled Shrimp over papardelle (loved it) and the Crab Louie Salad (not so much). I would not order the salad again. We had the paradise pie and tirimisu for dessert and both were good.
- Over all excellent, althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2014Over all excellent, although food was barely warm when it arrivedSpecial Features:
- Great food, service and ambiance!IvanaDined on 2/28/2014We celebrated a friend's birthday. Food and service were excellent. Will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okRtggVIPDined on 2/21/2014Food was just average, my Hallibut was not served at the proper temperature. The service was ok, not great. I would not go back.Special Features:
- AMONG BEST LOCAL FINE DININGRESTAURANTCONNOISSEURDined on 2/21/2014We had not been here in 20+ years having moved to north county; thrilled it was even better than we remembered. Service of this caliber is rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectChargerFanDined on 2/16/2014I made a reservation with OpenTable and asked for a window table at 6:30pm on Sunday. We were sat in the front but in the for left corner so we could not see outside. Service was very good except they forgot to bring us the soup. Our server was very professional and gave us free desert. Everything was excellent except the Ahi that my husband had was over-cooked a bit. Still a beautiful night with good food and a good wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.