1298 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.crabcatcher.com/
- Phone: 8584549587x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00pm - 3:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - Close, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jon Burwell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Spectacular view of ocean marine life and sea-going activities.
A word from Crab Catcher
La Jolla's premier seafood restaurant, consistently #1 with locals and visitors, enjoys a spectacular ocean view and patio dining. The freshest of seafood and shellfish our specialty; the exciting flavors of California and the Pacific Rim our inspiration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crab Catcher reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (105)special occasion (67)romantic (65)great for outdoor dining (63)fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (30)great for lunch (25)great for brunch (19)notable wine list (18)good for groups (10)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- great view, poor service.beckywaldDined on 8/7/2014Yes, the view is amazing no one can deny that. However for the prices I would expect a little better attention from the wait staff. Might try again for happy hour, like I said it does have an amazing view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for qualityPB12Dined on 8/4/2014The view was beautiful and the waitress was very good. However, the food was definitely not worth the price. Luckily we had a living social coupon or I would've been really upset paying those prices for just okay food
- NiceTWow1015Dined on 8/2/2014We had a good experience. At first it smelled a little fishy but we got used to that quickly. Pricey menu but you are really paying for the lovely view. Our waiter was Kevin and he was fabulous. Thanks for a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scott was greatOtldocDined on 7/29/2014Our server Scott was great. He made good recommendations and he was very pleasant.Special Features:
- Outstanding diningmitimomDined on 7/29/2014It had been several years since we visited Crab Catcher but were happy to see this long standing establishment is still as wonderful as we remembered. We split and married the crab stuffed flounder and the crab ravioli and added a side of asparagus. It was fantastic, seasoned and cooked perfectly. Scott, our server was extremely attentive and helpful with our selections. Every component of our meal was perfect with the exception of the odor coming from the abundance of marine life on the rocks below which they had no control over. They did, however, change us to an equally beautiful view table away from the open window at their suggestion.Special Features:
- Great food but smell of guanoLarryDined on 7/28/2014Really enjoyed the food and service here. Michael was an excellent waiter and the food could not have been any better. Something they can do nothing about is the fact that they sit above the La Jolla cove and the pelicans roost just below creating an enormous guano/uric acid smell. Not much they can do about it but took away one star from the review.Special Features:
- Great viewsSoCalFamilyDined on 7/27/2014The views from the window table I reserved were amazing. The food was just average.Special Features:
- Best view everDianeVIPDined on 7/26/2014Best Host, Best restaurant, and Best view from a Philadelphia Family. Thanks!Special Features:
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014Food was so bland! For $30+ plus a dish I expect a little bit of flavor. Our friends got crab and lobster, no complaints on their end. We also had a coupon that we used, was accepted, and our card was ran. then the manager came over, asked to check the purchase date and said we couldn't use it because it was purchased that day. Between the food and what I consider lack of customer service I'm not enthused to go back. But we have this coupon so we have to.Special Features:
- Not impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Our service was great, but the food was pretty terrible. We ordered the mix plate of seafood (52 dollars) and my husband ordered a steak (around 50 dollars). I expected better quality and taste. We won't be returning.Special Features:
- Beautiful ViewfunkyVIPDined on 7/25/2014The view was amazing, right on the window. The scallop dinner was excellent! My daughter ordered the Ciopino and it was not very good. The fish had been overcooked and she sent it back. They were very good to take it off our check. Everything else was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingPapaTVIPDined on 7/22/2014Our meal was very mediocre and not what we have been accustom too when dining at Crab Catcher. Perhaps Monday nights are not he night to dine there..Special Features:
- Gem of La Jolla VillageCarlaRNVIPDined on 7/20/2014One of Prospect Street's restaurant gems and one of our favorites. Beautiful ambience, excellent food with lovely presentation. Good hot bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, REAL good!LeenLovesFoodDined on 7/20/2014Food is excellent! The crab bisque and mussels are my favorite. I have also had the crab ceviche, which is delicate and delicious. If you don't like seafood, then go there for a drink or two! It's right on the La Jolla shores, and you view is all ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysdonnah54Dined on 7/20/2014Spent a very wonderful time at Sunday brunch--one of San Diego's best!Special Features:
- Food was amaingKMomDined on 7/19/2014Everything we had from the cocktails to the sea food was absolutely delicious. They also saved us the best seats in the house so we could celebrate our anniversary over looking the ocean. Our waiter was honest, friendly and funny.Special Features:
- youngsmile8Dined on 7/14/2014I celebrated 7th anniversary with my boyfriend there. We were there for his birthday 2,3 years ago. Everything is good, except I wish I eat the crab leg faster... I don't like it cold, but when I am working on the last several pieces, they are cold. No complaint though, because we spent too much time taking pictures first! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTarncaVIPDined on 7/12/2014While the service was great, I was overall disappointed. Food was average for the prices. I was also upset when an upscale restaurant like this charges you for each soda refil. For the prices on the menu, that is ridiculous. Not sure I will be back.Special Features:
- Dining with rats!CrabcatcherrodentsDined on 7/12/2014It's very hard to swallow an over cooked tuna especially at the price that it came. I could have dealt with the over cooked, unseasoned food, but the worst part of all ideas having our second year anniversary dinner ruined. Not one but TWO rats came charging down the wall and ran toward us before disappearing underneath our window where we were sitting. I was in utter disgust. Such a nice place, but yet were dining with rodents. I couldn't even tell our waiter I was so disgusted. But worst of all is I can't imagine if those things were inside the building. It ruined our special night.Special Features:
- Pleasant experiencefoodgasmicDined on 7/11/2014I really enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant, the view was very nice and calming. Our server was courteous and prompt. Overall I really had an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014Very average food - way to expensive. Great view.Special Features:
- La Jolla Crabs - EXPENSIVE!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/7/2014Not bad...Not outstanding! Service was good, ambience and the ocean view almost made the meal worth the money! If you're in the mood for seafood, there are much better places both in La Jolla and San Diego!Special Features:
- Great first time dining!AmyodalDined on 7/6/2014Great view, food, and service! First time and it lived up to reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!DianeVIPDined on 7/4/2014This restaurant is La Jolla. Jamie, the host, really works hard to get everyone a great table. We were right at the window overlooking the pacific. Thanks!Special Features:
- Not much of a viewJustthefactsVIPDined on 7/4/2014Only one table truly has the view of La Jolla Cove. The other tables can't see much. The waiter was over worked and we waited to have our table cleaned off or order dessert. Considering the super high cost of the meals it wasn't worth it. Won't be going there again since there are other choices in that area such as Eddie V's.
- Just ok this time.ColleenVIPDined on 7/4/2014We came to Crab Catcher last year and had a great experience so we thought we'd try it again. Our server was wonderful;however, we were seated at the worst table in the restaurant with no view of the ocean. We made reservations and people who just walked in we're given better tables than us. I ordered the halibut, which was completely over cooked and had to be sent back. It was much better the second time it came out. My fiancé ordered the crab stuffed fish and loved it. For dessert, he had the key lime pie an I had the paradise pie; both were excellent. Overall it was an ok experience but nothing about it was extraordinary.
- Great Food but...CMsteveVIPDined on 7/3/2014The food here is consistently good but does come as the a price. Nice atmosphere and great to service along with an outstanding view make this Chart House restaurant a place to choose to dine if money isn't an object. The menu really does offer a broad variety of choice favoring fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keolaDined on 7/1/2014We've been to the Crab Catcher twice and both times were great. The food is amazing. The first time we went there the server suggested the fire shrimp with polenta...so good!!!! A definite must have for the next time there. The crab is amazing and when in season, the spiny lobster. Must better than any Maine lobster I've ever had.Special Features:
- Outstanding ViewseatoutDined on 6/29/2014The service was great and the food delicious. Our table had a beautiful view of the cove.Special Features:
- The perfect evening!DianeVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great host And server. Seafood for two a must. Can"t wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1100 reviews are from the Crab Catcher reviews archive.
- Lovely place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014We found this on Groupon and will be returning, even without a discount. The wait staff was excellent, attentive without being intrusive. Our table was on the patio, right next to the window overlooking the beach, so we could see sea lions and pelicans. We ordered calamari as an appetizer, which was done perfectly and the right quantity for two. Our entrees were cioppino, which was some of the best we've had outside San Francisco, and the Alaskan king crab. Both featured generous quantities of crab and the cioppino was full of shellfish and perfectly cooked fish in a flavorful broth. We had been eyeing the dessert table on the way in, but our meals were so filling that we regretfully declined. Perhaps next time we'll skip the appetizer!Special Features:
- DisappointedNEgirlinKCVIPDined on 6/25/2014After reading several reviews, we were disappointed because you can't actually see the sun set or "million dollar view" due to the orientation of the restaurant. So the overpriced food wasn't really worth it to us.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014The price for the product was just too much. The salmon portion was too small and was a bit over cooked. Service, however, was really good.
- Delicious food with an ocean viewOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/22/2014We sat on the patio and enjoyed a gorgeous view of La Jolla Cove at sunset. The beet salad, ahi taco, and chocolate torte were especially delicious, and the whole evening was delightful. It has been many years since I've dined at Crab Catcher, and I am looking forward to returning very soon. Delicious food with an ocean view, two very high priorities for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular AmbianceWe2travelabitVIPDined on 6/21/2014This place is a joule overlooking the La Jolla cove. The food is fresh, the service is great, and the view is spectacular. What more woud you you need to make a memorable meal?Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Great location, parking is underneath the building, great service, food and a million dollar view.Special Features:
- Great viewTmc5Dined on 6/20/2014Fiid is a little pricey but you are paying for the wonderful view and great service. I've had their appetizers, salads, sandwiches, fish, desserts and everything has been good. So go, relax and enjoy. Definitely a place to take out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was mediocre, staff was greatKristine16Dined on 6/18/2014My dad and I had dinner for Father's Day, and the service was fantastic. The food was mediocre (we had the halibut as our main course), but the desserts were delicious. I've been here several times before and had the crab legs for dinner and the crab omelette and crab bisque, which were all exemplary, so maybe stick to what they're known for: the crab :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful mealDinerdiverDined on 6/18/2014We loved the halibut dinners that we sll ordered and the service was superb.Special Features:
- Decadent Brunch or Special OccasionAdamHDined on 6/16/2014Love the presentation of the food and drinks. I have had some of the best waitstaff wait on us at the Crab Catcher. The views and the ultra fresh food make this gem in La Jolla a go-to special occasion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.