284 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecluny.com/
- Phone: 2122556900x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30-11:pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm Brasserie: Monday- Friday 3:00pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Phillip Kirschen-Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Cafe Cluny
Cafe Cluny is located in the heart of the West Village.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Cluny reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (66)fit for foodies (41)romantic (39)great for brunch (29)great for lunch (23)special occasion (17)hot spot (9)good for groups (8)notable wine list (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Creative bistro menu - justfinedinerVIPDined on 10/9/2013Creative bistro menu - just enough of a twist on the basics to be interesting. Wine list is a little weak but food is superb. And not so noisy that you can't hear your companions but still feels happening. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosy little gem, good foodWhiffmeisterGeneralDined on 10/8/2013Cosy little gem, good food reasonably priced, great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!Hofstra64VIPDined on 9/27/2013We were looking a special place to meet up with our grown children and we found it! The food was excellent; the location was convenient; and the overall experience was outstanding. Great range of food on the menu and the service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of France in the West VillageWillajaneVIPDined on 9/21/2013Cozy, friendly and delicious- Cafe Cluny Never fails to deliver fresh, creative and Delicious fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We especially enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2013We especially enjoyed the Artichokes Barigoute and the Heritage Chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The WaiterStudmuffinDined on 9/19/2013Was beyond irritating. He learned to serve from the website annoying.com Couldn't get his act together and was in our faces at all the inappropriate times.Special Features:
- Food as usual was very goodShanDined on 9/19/2013Food as usual was very good and the service friendly. I love the breakfast sandwich with avocado. One of our group had the artichokes. It's good as an appetizer, but just short of being enough for a main meal for even a light lunch for a man.Special Features:
- Warm and invitingJennyGDined on 9/18/2013Loved our brunch at Café Cluny. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the food was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Centerpiece of a lovely eveningdeedsDined on 8/30/2013From the moment we arrived it was clear we were in good hands! The table we had requested, immediate service, and prompt responses to our requests. Every bit of the food we ordered was prepared and served with aplomb. Courses were timed well and with the exception of an overly eager bus person, the service was perfectly pitched. Among the four different choices that we made for entrees there were easily two dishes that were among the best we've tasted. In sum, a tasty, lovely evening start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cafe cluny cute placejj118Dined on 1/18/2013nice cafe Some staff members were too green to be working thereSpecial Features:
- We had a small party on aCC10Dined on 1/18/2013We had a small party on a Friday morning that all came into the restaurant at different times for our 9am reservations (some early, some late). The restaurant was fairly sparse at the time, but the hostess was pleasant and accommodating. The waitstaff was just as friendly offering coffee, tea, juice and water while we waited for the rest of the group to show up. When everyone was at the table, our orders were taken promptly (but not rushed) and the food came out quickly and was just as described. The staff was very attentive, knew what we were all drinking and were closely monitoring our drinks for refills. All in all, a very pleasant experience in a lovely, but not stuffy, restaurant. I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Good moderate place,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2013Good evening was had, however the waitress just seemed to want to rush everything, our starters arrived in minutes of being ordered and as soon as we were finished, the plates removed our main course arrived, which makes you question the process within the kitchen or tha ability to enjoy the evening and not feel like they were trying to turn tables.Special Features:
- Unique decor, creative menu,GemhotlineVIPDined on 1/4/2013Unique decor, creative menu, and delightful staff. Enjoyed our recent dining experience. Left hungry though...probably needed to eat more of the great food. Worth a second try. Only sidebar: There was a woman we were sitting next to who yacked for almost an hour straight. Due to the restaurant acoustics it became so annoying that we had to ask to be reseated. The manager handled it beautifully. Had there been better control of sound within the dining area, it might not have been a problem.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2012Recommended to us by someone who used to live close by. Absolutely loved it. Very cute. Food great. Coffee great. Lovely decor, felt really cosy. I cannot wait to return. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Second time's not the charm.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/19/2012A $14 special yellow tail, grapefruit and green olive starter was laughable in it's petite-ness. This wasn't even passé nouvelle cusine, it was The Emperor's New Clothes. If great bread is one sign of a good restaurant, steer clear of this place with it's dry bread stick sized baguettes unless you want to break a tooth.
- This is a classic neighborhoodmichboVIPDined on 12/18/2012This is a classic neighborhood gem - with wonderful cocktails (the Cluny is to die for), and creative dishes. I'd love maybe a few more entree selections to make it even better, but all in all, a great experience and one to recommend when you are in Greenich Village.Special Features:
- Great vibe, great glowEclecticGuyVIPDined on 12/15/2012The food is fine, the amber glow of the ambience even better. It's like having an intimate candle-lit dinner. Spectacular wait staff. High marks all around.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/15/2012We loved Cafe Cluny. The food was very, very good and our waitress was excellent and fun. We loved the scene, it was cozy and clean and vibrant. We would definitely return to this cute little neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- J'adoreOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/9/2012I absolutely love this restaurant - great food, beautiful atmosphere, and always a warm welcome and fond farewell from the kind employees.Special Features:
- It really is a real gem inIrishbutloveItalianVIPDined on 12/6/2012It really is a real gem in the West Village. I only recently discovered Cafe Cluny. It is delightful. I hope to go back again and again!Special Features:
- I've had several very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/4/2012I've had several very nice meals at Cluny, but have to say -- was disappointed overall this time. Service was very rushed, trying too hard to turn our table (8:15 seating). Food was good, not great, although it has been great previous times. I'll still recommend it as an outstanding brunch place, but will temper my "date place" reccos after past visit. I hope it was just an off-night coupled with poor service.Special Features:
- We had exceptional service.KATEVSVIPDined on 11/30/2012We had exceptional service. Really loved our waitress.
- awesome spot, great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/29/2012awesome spot, great food, great crowd and great wait staffSpecial Features:
- Always a sure thing. GladOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/28/2012Always a sure thing. Glad to have this place nearby.Special Features:
- Love decor and ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2012Love decor and ambiance. The food for lunch was delicious and fresh.Special Features:
- We eat out at fine dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/10/2012We eat out at fine dinning restaurants regularly and Cafe Cluny ranks as one of our best experiences and a fantastic value. The restaurant is charming and the service was very good, but best of all we took advantage of the prixe-fix pricing (5:30 to 6:30 pm) to have an appetizer, entre and dessert, all from the standard menu, for just $35.00. Everything we had was excellent.Special Features:
- Great food, wine, atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012Great food, wine, atmosphere - only complaint was the restaurant was very warm!Special Features:
- Delicious food and right balanceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2012Delicious food and right balance of meat, fish, and vegetarian entrees. Lovely ambience for a first date or hanging with an old friend.Special Features:
- Magical atmosphereNickCDined on 10/23/2012There's something magical here that's impossible to explain. Other places in the neighborhood are half-empty when Cluny is full. One reason may be that the menu is slightly eclectic but actually quite simple, and the food is always good. The service is always attentive. And the atmosphere is like a really good party that one your friends has thrown. But in the end it's indefinable. It's simply a fun place to be and it's hard to explain exactly why. It just always is and has been since it opened.Special Features:
- Food was wonderful and theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2012Food was wonderful and the restaurant graciously accomodated a unique alergy.Special Features:
- My porkloin entree and friseefijiVIPDined on 10/14/2012My porkloin entree and frisee salad appetizer were superb. I'll go back, any time.Special Features:
- Good food, fine service, reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/7/2012Good food, fine service, reasonable prices. A little noisy (tables close together). What more can you ask for?Special Features:
- Cozy and west village restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/6/2012Cozy and west village restaurant. Always a safe spot for brunch or dinner. Great granola!Special Features:
- The food was exquisite-porkOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/5/2012The food was exquisite-pork tenderloin with forbidden rice, the roast chicken with mashed potatoes, and the grilled napa cabbage special were all very much enjoyed. The ambiance is cozy--you always feel like you were lucky to get a table. The waitress was helpful and everything was well-timed. This is and has been for quite some time--a favorite place of mine.Special Features:
- Excellent fod; service meh.DanGVIPDined on 10/5/2012Three of us recently dined at Cafe Cluny. We've been several times before so we obviously like the place and it's close to home. First off the food is excellent. The roast chicken, pancetta wrapped pork and pasta carbonara were all top notch as were the frisée and beet salads. Not impressed by their current cocktail list. They definitely sound better than they tasted espeially at $14 a pop. Dessert was also delicious. Wine list ok (but suffers in comparison to the Cafe Minerva around the corner and their 20 under $20; we went there for a night cap bottle). Service was only ok. Server was almost completely devoid of personality which is ok if he had at least been pleasant. Front door staff was lovely. We'll be back.Special Features:
- The hamburger and fries thatsorefootDined on 10/1/2012The hamburger and fries that I ordered were just so-so; I expected better for $18. I was grateful, however, that in accordance with my reservation request, I was seated in a relatively quiet area.
- One of my favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2012One of my favorite restaurants in New York City! I order the roasted chicken every time and it's always great!Special Features:
- Cozy, energetic, quaint, withOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/17/2012Cozy, energetic, quaint, with great cocktails and yummy American/French cuisine. Good for getting together with small groups. Able to hear conversations in an inviting place.Special Features:
- Every time I visit NYC, IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012Every time I visit NYC, I make a point of eating at this charming restaurant. The service is impeccable, the food is outstanding, and the ambiance allows for great and easy conversations!Special Features:
- Lovely Place...chefgearyDined on 9/2/2012Loved it.. food was perfect! Will be back many times over!Special Features: