284 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafecluny.com/
- Phone: 2122556900x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30-11:pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm Brasserie: Monday- Friday 3:00pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Phillip Kirschen-Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Cafe Cluny
Cafe Cluny is located in the heart of the West Village.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Cluny reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (38)romantic (37)great for brunch (30)great for lunch (23)special occasion (15)good for groups (8)hot spot (8)notable wine list (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- We frequent Cafe Cluny severalmegkDined on 3/1/2014We frequent Cafe Cluny several times a year. The food is always delicious, although the menu is quite limited- and they frown upon substitutions. This time be felt the prices had gone up and the serving size down (at least for the salmon entree). We started with a delicious (very small) green salad. It was so simple, yet perfect: three baby heads of lettuce just barely grilled but still retaining a crunch, and then dressed with an exquisite french dressing and fresh herbs.Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/26/2014The food was delicious. I always love going there - and the desserts are divine - especially the chocolate cake!Special Features:
- Unexpected pleasureSenecaDined on 2/19/2014Café Cluny was recommended casually as a kind of good second choice, but it will be a first choice next time. The service was friendly and efficient; the steak with the 'steak-frites' cooked exactly as requested; the mood romantic in a casual way; and it was very French without being 'faux-French', if you know what I mean!Special Features:
- Valentine's DaySaraBethDined on 2/14/2014Great drinks, okay food, and much too expensive for what it was. The steak was perfect, the monkfish was okay, and the charcutterie was disappointing.Special Features:
- Great Dinner for Valentine'sBrianDined on 2/14/2014I took my girlfriend to Cafe Cluny for Valentine's day and she loved it. The food was great, drinks were good, and she thought it was a cute place. It was a bit pricey, but perfect for a special occasion or night out. I'd highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the splurgeSublimeDined on 2/1/2014Hadn't been to Cafe Cluny in years but it's still awesome and worthy of a splurge. A good barometer of a kitchen is their steak frites, and it was flawless.Special Features:
- Skip the appsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/1/2014I recently went to Cafe Cluny for dinner after eating lunch there several times. The appetizers were oversold - the dishes were pretty and sounded interesting, yet rather boring once delivered. The entrees, on the other hand, were absolutely delicious! We did not have dessert but next time we will skip the apps and order dessert.Special Features:
- Neighborhood findrjbraderDined on 1/24/2014Cafe Cluny is well located and attractive. It is relatively small and has an intimate vibe. The menu is great and the food is good.Special Features:
- WonderfulMIssMcCloreDined on 1/10/2014Had dinner here with a friend and we both loved it. My steak was cooked to perfection. Beautiful presentations. Quaint chic rustic feel to the decor. The banana tart desert thing was amazing!!!!! Kinda like banana pudding but better; I highly recommend it. Great date place.Special Features:
- Would like to keep it as secret...MiknikDined on 1/8/2014Love this restaurant. No music so you can actually hear what your friend is saying without shouting! Food is also very good. Some experimental with other cuisine material! Love them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eduardo's reviewEduardoE1899Dined on 1/1/2014Great place, romantic. Tks for mini but funny new year's comemoration, good to couples. About Open table, u should be a service like this in another cities, like São Paulo, Brazil. There are very good places and your website helps many customs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food in a cozy settingAngieVIPDined on 12/31/2013My first time here, I was given a cozy, window table by a friendly hostess. Service was nice and friendly. Food was outstanding. Home made mozzarella, heirloom pears and artichokes were all delicious. Entrees of fish were also flavorful, tender, we'll prepared. I recommend tables in the back room for a cozy, more intimate experience. Front room with the bar is more noisy.Special Features:
- Went for a Saturday nightDBBWDined on 12/28/2013Went for a Saturday night dinner with friends and brunch on Sunday. The food was excellent on both occasions. Loved the scallops and squash soup for dinner, fabulous mint sorbet and profiteroles. Brunch was excellent and everything is plated beautifully. Loved our waiter on Sunday morning. On Saturday we had someone different who was ok.Special Features:
- Great food but too priceynkhstudioDined on 12/27/2013Given our limited budget we to filter our Yelp searches to the two $ settings. Chose Cafe Cluny because it seemed cozy, we were in the mood for some French food, and the price was listed as $$. I don't know if this is a fault of Yelp but the final bill was about $60 per person, and we didn't order that much. The food was good not amazing and not worth $120. You can find better French food in NYC for cheaper than that. Brussels Sprouts appetizer was delicious. Tuna burger was garden variety. The rolls/bread were surprisingly mediocre/stiff/stale--we are talking about a French restaurant, right? Service was very friendly - it never got too loud. I would go back again probably, but Yelp and/or OpenTable should list this is three $$$, not two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I met my parents at Cafe ClunyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/27/2013I met my parents at Cafe Cluny for breakfast on my birthday, two days after Christmas. We were there pretty early, before it got crowded, and the staff were welcoming and attentive. We enjoyed the pancakes, french toast, and breakfast club. Everyone enjoyed their meal. My parents especially loved the fresh orange juice. I recommend this breakfast.
- Classic West Village spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/24/2013Classic West Village spot - French inspired bistro fare. The place is small, which can be spun 2 ways: cosy and intimate, or cramped. Personally, there are a few tables too many for the space which makes privacy from neighboring tables difficult. I prefer this place for brunch/lunch to dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Never FailspeanutDined on 12/24/2013I stumbled into Cafe Cluny on a Christmas Eve 5 years ago (before moving to NY). Now as a local, it's become my special place where I go without fail every Christmas Eve and every (dreaded) birthday. I've never had a bad meal or a bad server and despite the trendy location, it feels cozy, informal and neighborhoody. The Steak Frites is my favorite and the wine list accommodates any palette. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend brunch or weekdayKevoVIPDined on 12/23/2013Weekend brunch or weekday dinner-- both are perfect. date or with the family. A+ all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off Night in the Kitchen?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/22/2013I adore Cafe Cluny. I think it is a rare gem in a neighborhood that has lost its character to bridge and tunnel invaders. I eat there often and was shocked that my dinner on Sunday, December 22nd was flat out terrible. It really did seem as if there was a substitute chef filling in for the holidays. My meal was garnished in an odd way as to make up for the lack of taste and the dish ACTUALLY tasted bad. The table next to me sent back their food and I should have done the same. For a $70 meal I was pretty miffed. I love Cluny for its quiet atmosphere, great crowd, and consistent food but I will now think twice before dining there. Sad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The yellow tail, mozzarellallunchphonesVIPDined on 12/13/2013The yellow tail, mozzarellal and beat salad are amazing. Great place for dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food overratedJohnnnnDined on 12/11/2013Just didn't taste good. Had the mozzarella app and the artichoke app. Then had the pasta entree and the beef entree. All of it was salty and boring. Very disappointed. The service and ambiance was nice though. Much better options in the w village.
- pleasant surpriseDavidandDayleVIPDined on 12/7/2013Recommended by a friend who fancies herself somewhat of a foodie, we were somewhat skeptical, but took our friends in from LA for dinner there because it was near the theater we were going to. Everything was much better than we expected--the food, service, atmosphere. We eat out about 4 nights per week and are somewhat picky. We would definitely return there--it was that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LylianlyliannycDined on 12/6/2013Loved the restaurant! Great food, atmosphere, service, loved everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great windows look out ontoOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/1/2013Great windows look out onto a village street. Friendly staff, delicious food.Special Features:
- DisappointedSharkus77VIPDined on 11/27/2013The visual presentation of the burger is great. You are offered three cheeses, I stuck with American. They forgot my bacon...ugh. It came out as a side after I brought it to their attention but it killed me to stare and wait those five minutes. I cannot fairly judge this burger for the simple reason that it was completely over cooked. I asked for medium and it came out well done. Burger was dry and lacked the juicy flavor one desires when eating a burger. Sides/bacon/cheese were all fresh and good. Fries were awesome and ambiance is that of a quaint French bistro. Service was decent. Location is great.Special Features:
- Good food, great location, cozyPecavoDined on 11/21/2013Always a wonderful meal, great food, beautiful location, a bit tight for seating so be prepared to be close to your neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe ClunyDancarDined on 11/19/2013Never an attitude in this lovely Village spot. Lunch here has become a favorite among my group. So pleasant. Thank you.Special Features:
- Perfect West Village SpotJason5080VIPDined on 11/10/2013It's my go-to lunch spot. Homey, consistently good food and great service make it my favorite place in the West Village. Plus they give you chocolate with your check--it's the little things that count right?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never order the swordfish!!!SueWFVIPDined on 11/9/2013We were there for a special occasion. We had eaten there several times and always. liked it. This time the food was very good also EXCEPT for the swordfish. It was like a piece of cardboard. Not edible. Salty. How could any self-respecting chef serve that??? I didn't return it because I didn't want to bring attention to that. Any other time I would have. Will think twice before retuning. What a disappointment.!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe Cluny - A French GemIcedTeaMeDined on 11/8/2013A beautiful little bistro in the heart of the West Village - atmosphere had just the right balance of buzz and chill. The waitstaff, in their bateau neck t's, add to the ambience. Our Proseccos at the bar were perfect while we waited a short while for our table. The steak and frites got a thumbs up, the brussel sprouts were divine and my scallops were delicious, although the clams and oysters listed on the menu item were completely absent! Make sure to do a visual sweep - you might spot someone noteworthy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A French coupe adviseNellyDined on 11/8/2013We discovered Cafe Cluny during our one week trip to NYC. We were looking for a nice place for dinner, but we didn't know NYC restaurants and tried to book a table very late. Cafe Cluny is a really nice place : charming streets around, a "cocooning and romantic" atmosphere but it can fit for friends too... About the food : we had a 3 courses meal : I really enjoyed the Artichokes barigoule (kind of "sweeter" than in France and I must admit that's great), the salad was really nice too (kind of a "salade Lyonnaise") The salmon had the perfect cooking tasted the kale gratin (I enjoyed, we don't eat this vegetable in France), Cedric chose the burger (great too). I enjoyed the pistachio tarte. Bread and profiteroles were good enough. Service +++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff were great and theevebobDined on 11/5/2013The staff were great and the food was outstanding. Many thanks for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableRickiVIPDined on 11/1/2013Always have wonderful meal with great service. Especially when going to theater. Prize fixe is high quality and reasonable. One of my favorites.Special Features:
- Great local cafenycouple34Dined on 10/29/2013This cafe was recommended to me for a recent trip to NYC. Couldn't have been happier. Lovely location, great food, great coffee, brilliant service and relaxed vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place to eat!tootsVIPDined on 10/26/2013the food was great as was the service! well enjoyed ourselves!Special Features:
- A Village GemPattiDined on 10/25/2013Cafe Cluny never disappoints with serving up the perfect evening where every restuarant element hits the right note. The food is amazing, serve top notch and the cozy, relaxed environment makes this 12th St. venue a winner.Special Features:
- Ha the ownership changed orJackdogVIPDined on 10/24/2013Ha the ownership changed or something? It was not a very good experience...
- Quaint French spot in West VillageMonkeyEatsDined on 10/11/2013I took my partner here for his birthday. The staff is very professional, welcoming and attentive. We were seated with our reservation right away. When we asked for another area to sit in, they were instantly accommodating. The smoked tomato soup special and frisée salad with lardons were delicious. I was a little less impressed with the steak frites. The meat was fine, not super tasty or tender and the fries were not as flavorful as I would have liked. Also the mushrooms side, though tasty, could have also used a little moisture. The trio of ice creams were also delicious, especially the chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlandBlandDined on 10/10/2013Met a friend here for luncha nd we both ordered the tuna burgers. It was not a solid piece of ahi tuna w/spicing on the outside. It was a ground up mix of tuna and seasonings which were visually evident, but failed to impart any flavor to the sandwich. The wait staff was pleasant and the surroundings easy on the eye. WIth so many different places to choose from in this area, I would think they would try and step up their offerings as well as better season the existing ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative bistro menu - justfinedinerVIPDined on 10/9/2013Creative bistro menu - just enough of a twist on the basics to be interesting. Wine list is a little weak but food is superb. And not so noisy that you can't hear your companions but still feels happening. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.