90 Sherman Street
Cambridge, MA 02140Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grangustocambridge.com/
- Phone: 6174410400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Saturday 12-3pm Dinner Monday - Thursday, 4:30 - 10PM Friday & Saturday, 4:30 - 11PM Sunday, 4:30 - 10PM
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Castellano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Gran Gusto
At Gran Gusto, we pride ourselves on the best quality for a great price. We are a completely in-house production, starting with fresh, basic ingrediants in order to create homemade bread to desert. Over 80% of our products come from Italy one time a week such as, olive oil, flour, truffles, specialty cheeses, bufala mozzarella for the Neopolotan-style pizza, ice cream and etc.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gran Gusto reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)fit for foodies (39)notable wine list (25)special occasion (20)good for groups (17)great for outdoor dining (14)romantic (14)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (2)Show More
- Great Italian food, excellentpizza4meeDined on 9/13/2013Great Italian food, excellent original brick oven pizza. Service was outstanding. Staff was very pleasant. No negatives. Would definitely be back again when in Boston.I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant surpriselovetoeatVIPDined on 8/31/2013This restaurant is away from the sights of Boston but well worth the trip. The restaurant is located on a quiet street but was busy hinting that we were in for a treat. The grilled calamari paired with mushrooms was terrific as were the salads. All in our party were pleased with the pasta dishes - different and tasty. The wine list is varied and not overly expensive. All in all well worth the tripSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Neapolitan styleOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/16/2013Excellent Neapolitan style Pizza, probably one of the best in US (and as good as the best places in Italy)Special Features:
- One of the best Italian restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2013One of the best Italian restaurants in the greater Boston area. The food is amazing, especially the pizza and is very authentic. As a self-professed Italian-food snob, I've never had a bad meal here. Highly recommended for anyone that loves real Italian food.Special Features:
- Interesting serviceAbbyVIPDined on 7/21/2013We dined at Gran Gusto for the first time this past weekend. The food was very good, particularly the homemade pasta and the gelato. However, the service was so odd that we couldn't get past it. My husband and I were basically in hysterics the whole time because anytime any of the staff came to speak to us, they touched us and put their face about 1 inch from our faces. It reminded us of an SNL skit. But we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truffle heavenEatoutmoreDined on 7/21/2013Many good meals here. Interesting and varied menu, attentive service, very good wine selection. Rather noisy, with a needlessly loud sound system. Liberal use of truffles, which I love.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2013And it was especially nice to see Antonio in the front of the house again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizza in Boston areapizzafiendDined on 6/29/2013The pizza at Gran Gusto is almost perfect - fresh but complex tomato sauce, light airy crust (not too thin), and always fresh (and hormone-free) cheeses, vegetables, and meats. The salads are also very good, as are their desserts (excellent gelato). Have been less impressed by their pasta (made in house, but a little on the thick side for me). They have a new outdoor dining area in the back which is much quieter than before. I highlight recommend Gran Gusto to all pizza connoisseurs.Special Features:
- Pizza BUONISSIMA!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/22/2013Gran Gusto has the best, most authentic Neapolitan pizza in all of Boston area!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gran Gusto Delivers!espritDined on 6/15/2013We were delighted from the first "Buona sera" to the final "Grazie"! The food was delicious - fresh flavors artfully combined and presented. The charming, attentive staff actually enhanced the dining experience! We will certainly return and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weeknight treatLaGourmandeDined on 6/13/2013You can count on Gran Gusto for a great meal. The staff are friendly, the atmosphere relaxed, and the food authentic. The pasta is delicious and creative. I am not a pizza fan in general, but I have heard the pizza here is the best in Boston. There are always customers there speaking Italian, which to me means the food is also authentic.Special Features:
- Will have to try again another timeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/10/2013We went to Gran Gusto primarily to try the truffle pizza which a couple of friends had raved about. Sadly, no truffles were to be had that night and we ended up ordering a couple of other pizzas to try instead. I got the Funghi, my husband got the Quattro Stagioni. Mine was pretty good, his tasted overwhelmingly of olives. We also started with the grilled calamari, which were a bit overdone so that what should have been a smoky, grilled flavor ended up tasting more than a bit burnt. I'd be willing to give it another try, but I'll call first to see if the truffle pizza is available!
- Averagecook62Dined on 6/8/2013Everything was just ok. Nothing notable and nothing bad.
- Eating with a gourmet familyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/6/2013Ninno, Antonio and Chef Pepe are family. They bring you into their culinary experience originating in Naples and accented by Capri. The menu changes subtly. From truffles to straciatella you will savor delicacies not found anywhere in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, but nothing remarkableSRM430VIPDined on 5/31/2013Visited in a Friday evening. This was our second time at the restaurant. We had remembered the pizzas as being great, but found ourselves a bit underwhelmed. Meal was fine, but not as good as we remembered it from our earlier visit. Ordered calamari and two pizzas. One pizza was fairly good, the other was a bit doughy and even borderline soggy. Fine overall, but given the potential for great meals in Boston, can't see us going out of our way to return.
- very nice---just what we expectedaeg100Dined on 5/30/2013Gran Gusto is a very fine restaurant in a slightly off the beaten track location that appears to accommodate a wide range of folks..from romantic twos and fours to family dining with well-behaved older, children. white table cloth, fine dining. The host was extremely welcoming, and our reservations received prompt seating Service and food was great; it appeared as a busy evening, so noise levels were a bit high and table conversation was OK Only compliments...the service and attention to detail made our initial visit memorable. I would highly recommend Gran Gusto to all who enjoy fine Italian dining and a large, but not expensive wine list...Kudos! Plus free parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2013Ignore the Yelp reviews! I almost did not book this restaurant because of some recent reviews from this site. My 2 friends and I ended up going there because of a personel recommendation and glad we did. The place is charming, service very prompt and friendly and the owners very attentive. Wine list was respectable..two of us had the osso bucco..very good! Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's always good!TLBostonVIPDined on 5/22/2013Don't let the location fool you, Gran Gusto is one of the best Italian restaurants in the Boston area! The food is consistently fresh and fantastic. I enjoy seeing what new items are on the menu at each visit. Within free plentiful parking and wonderful service, you can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Normally great, not this timeneighborhoodEaterDined on 5/11/2013Gran Gusto seemed to be really struggling this visit -- their computer systems were down apparently. Had a reservation for 7, arrived at 7:05, waited until 7:35 to be seated. Once seated, it took a long time to hear what the specials were, and a long time to place a drink and food order. Once food arrived, noone checked on us. When dessert came, we had to wait again to catch a server's attention to ask for utensils to eat it with. All that aside, the food itself was delicious. Our previous experiences were much better, service wise, so hopefully this was just a one night issue.
- Great Italian FoodgeraldroyrondoeVIPDined on 5/11/2013My wife and I went back to Gran Gusto on Saturday evening for an early dinner. We split their Margherita pizza for an app. The pizza is very good. Thin crust, slightly sweet (in a good way) tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella and a few fresh basil leaves. For our mains I chose the evening special pasta which was spaghetti with shrimp and crab meat and cherry tomatoes. The sauce had a very fresh taste and more importantly it had a deep seafood flavor that I really enjoyed. This wasn't just a basic tomato sauce with some crab and shrimp thrown in. I would guess that used some sort of seafood stock as a base for the sauce but whatever it was it was delicious. My wife had the whole wheat spaghetti with sauteed vegetables.Special Features:
- Disappointed food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/1/2013Our basic pizza took about an hour to show up as we kept staring at the waiter and the manager without an apology or any acknowledgement. Very disappointment, especially since the restaurant was not even half full. The pizza was nothing you'd want to wait for.
- A So-So MealSCHammondDined on 5/1/2013The food was fine except what I wanted to eat wasn't on the menu which was odd. The item was a mainstay of their offerings. Parking is a problem. I just wasn't wowed.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2013My dining experience at Gran Gusto was disappointing. We sat in the indoor 'courtyard' area which contains a piano and we were immediately entertained by a toddler banging on the keys. (We were dining after 8). But that wasn't the real problem; the food was. My pasta meal was bland, and something I could have made at home in about thirty minutes. The pizza was ok; the crust was average and the toppings adequate. The grilled calamari appetizer was enjoyable, but the eggplant in another appetizer was undercooked. We waited a long time for our food, which would have been fine if it was delicious. It wasn't.Special Features:
- Great Food and Service. OneMarkVIPDined on 4/21/2013Great Food and Service. One of the best Italian Bistros in Boston.Special Features:
- Absolutely Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013How Gran Gusto isn't constantly dealing with a line down the block boggles my mind. The food at this place is without a doubt some of the very best I've ever had anywhere. I've enjoyed a wide range of their menu and it's all so incredible that choosing what I want on a given night is almost The service is spectacular. Must try!Special Features:
- We went here based on allOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2013We went here based on all the reviews on open table. We had the calamari app and pasta dishes. The calamari app comes with tiny shrimp that I have Beverly seen before. They had the shell, tail and legs still on. We asked the minimal English speaking waitress if we should eat them whole or if we need to peel. She didn't know. She had the owner come over. Nice guy. Told us to eat it whole as it is sweetest this way. Gave it a shot. Didn't like it. The pasta dishes were ju
- Gran Gusto lives up to itsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2013Gran Gusto lives up to its name - truly Italian right down to the staff that serve you. The food is quite good, ranging from succulent osso bucco to splendid pizzas. They were more than happy to accommodate our group of six even on a busy Saturday evening. In fact, when our table was not ready for our reservation, they brought us a sample of their pizza margherita to hold us over. Needless to say, we were more than happy with our night there and plan to return.Special Features:
- Always a delightful meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/20/2013Always a delightful meal. Best pizza in Boston (authentic Neapolitan category). Service is friendly and attentive, but never rushed. Very nice list of Italian wines. Save room for the ricotta pie.Special Features:
- I have eaten outside a fewKathyMDined on 4/14/2013I have eaten outside a few times but this was the first indoor experience.grilled calamari appetizer(one of my favorites. I get it every time i dine here.)We also ordered the asparagus appetizer which was better than i thought it would be. We all got pasta entree's and we were all happy with our food. Overall a good experience but a limited menu. If you are looking for a veal parm type of restaurant this isn't it. But if you Italian that is not run of the mill, this might be the place.Special Features:
- excellent restaurant. greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2013excellent restaurant. great food. recommended by native italians.Special Features:
- Gran gusto is one of the bestCarlDined on 4/7/2013Gran gusto is one of the best Italian restaurants in the Boston area. Unfortunately,there were two tables near us with very young crying children which made for a very disruptive and annoying experienceSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodRick23VIPDined on 4/4/2013We go to Gran GUsto once or twice a year. The food is excellent and it keeps us coming back.Special Features:
- This place was recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/25/2013This place was recommended by the person who checked our coats at Sandrine's. It is a well-kept secret, she said. The best Italian food in the area. She was completely right. The food is excellent, I highly recommend it. The gnocchi was the best I've ever had. The pizzas reminded me of my best meals in Rome. The branzino was tender, sweet, melt-in-your-mouth delicious. One of my dinner companions had the lamb. I cannot describe the look in his face when he took the first bite. Yes, the food gets five stars.Special Features:
- I've been to Gran Gusto manyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/14/2013I've been to Gran Gusto many times and I'm always welcomed back personally no matter how long it's been. The food is great and their wine list is amazing. If you're not sure which wine to go with, just ask and they will have no problem suggesting something for you.Special Features:
- always a great meal but newOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/14/2013always a great meal but new young waiter was horrid. no attention. had to order wine 3 x and didn't put in the pizza we ordered to go at the end. very bad service.....
- So good! My favorite ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/9/2013So good! My favorite Italian restaurant in Boston!
- Went here on a Sunday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/3/2013Went here on a Sunday night and everything was perfect. Try their pizza! It is just like the pizza you would find at a small restaurant on the streets of Naples in Italy. Worth checking out and worth the 10 dollar cab ride from Harvard SquareSpecial Features:
- fun night. easy atmosphere.Mec60Dined on 3/2/2013fun night. easy atmosphere. good italian. need to provide more affordable wines.Special Features:
- Not so romantic on Valentines DayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Gran Gusto's food was up to par, however the busy Valentines day rush caused the service to be very slow. It was extreamly crowded and the normally roomy seating was assembled differently, the tables were pushed very close together, We could barely get in and out of our seats. The waitors even had a hard time getting to our table. The service was very slow as I said most likely because it was Valentines' day. The food as always, was wonderful.
- We had good meals here --OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/14/2013We had good meals here -- the pasta dishes (Spaghetti and Tonnarelli) were cooked perfectly al dente, the salads (Rughetta and Spinaci) were filling and fresh, and the dessert (a Ricotta Cheesecake -- might have been a special) was probably the highlight of the meal. We might try the pizza next time -- at least from a distance, it looked good. All in all, this is a very pleasant place with a nice atmosphere, and we'd probably come back here again.Special Features: