346 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cantinaitaliana.com/
- Phone: 6177234577
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Charles Colella
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: We are offering a special menu on SUNDAYS from 12:00pm-10:30pm, 2 courses for $25.00.
- Special Events: "2 for $25 Sunday Special" Cantina Italiana will be offering a set menu on Sundays from Noon-10:30 pm. An appetizer and an entree all for $25 per person.
A word from Cantina Italiana
A tradition in Boston’s historic North End. We have been serving generations of families,locals and tourists in the North End since 1931. People crave the taste of our food. Some say their mouths water just thinking about eating here. That’s why when we change even the slightest thing,they let us know it. Some things should stay just as they are.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cantina Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (55)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (23)romantic (13)kid-friendly (13)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- There was nothing bad aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008There was nothing bad about my meal - or the others at my table. I think everyone enjoyed their meals - I would definitely come back. Although, I wouldn't come with a big group of 6 again as the booths seem to comfortably accomodate 4 - and it's best to sit in the front room for better ambiance.Special Features:
- What alot of people do notOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/23/2008What alot of people do not realize is this is the oldest restaurant in the North End, but the food and ambiance make it very enjoyable. If you are going there as a couple the window table is great at night, it lets you enjoy the dining experience and the North End at the same timeSpecial Features:
- Wonderful evening...... PinoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2008Wonderful evening...... Pino our waiter was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- From out of state and thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2008From out of state and this was the best italian restaurant I have ever dined in. Loved the food and the service. I can not imagine a better place to spend an evening meal. Our waiter Micheal was very informed and extremely helpful when making menue deciosions.Special Features:
- Great food and plenty of it.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/17/2008Great food and plenty of it. The accordian player was a bit obnoxious!!! He was soooooo loud and interupted a couple having dinner 3 times during their evening! We have been to Cantina 30+ times and always look forward to our dinners there. The new deserts are GREAT! See you soon!Special Features:
- food and service was good;OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/10/2008food and service was good; but nothing spectacular or memorable. we had nice table near street. should note that while wine list and beer selection were OK; they do not serve any types of hard liquor.
- Outstanding food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/7/2008Outstanding food and service. The waiter actually sent my dessert back to the kitchen because he didn't like the way it looked--I really appreciated that!Special Features:
- There was no place to putOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2008There was no place to put coats except for at the end of the booths, and they kept falling off. Some of us had to sit with our jackets on our laps so it was annoying. There could have been a couple more less expensive wine options as well. The service was outstanding and the food was great.
- The food was fantastic, IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/3/2008The food was fantastic, I had the Veal Parmasean and my date had the Eggplant Parmasean. My date said "it was the best she ever had". We also had the Fried Calamari as an appatizer, which was also phenominal. We got there a little bit before our reservation, but we were able to be sat when we came in. The accordian player/singer was a nice touch, and service was great. Our waiter knew the specials without having to read them off a card (good to see), and was attentive with our drinks and refills. Overall it was a great first dining experience for me in the North End, and would have no problem recomending this restaraunt.Special Features:
- Overall, very fun place!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2008Overall, very fun place! A bit crowded when waiting for a table, but the experience was very fun, casual, traditional, and delicious!Special Features:
- My husband and I only lovess777Dined on 3/29/2008My husband and I only love good food, I'm very particular about food. The dinner we had here was excellent! I have only one suggestion, the bread should be served warm.Special Features:
- Spinach salad and Veal FioreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2008Spinach salad and Veal Fiore were outstanding. Open Table is the way to go for reservations -fast and it works. when we walked in the reservation was all set although I had only made it online an hour before.Special Features:
- Not pleased with the waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/26/2008Not pleased with the waiter overall. Most importantly, we were served a dish we didn't order and when we mentioned the mistake to the waiter he argued with us. We didn't want/didn't eat the extra food yet the waiter never even offered to adjust the bill. Consequently, we ended up paying for the extra dish. I've been dining at the Cantina for years, usually the service is excellent but not the other night.Special Features:
- I had been there 20+ yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/22/2008I had been there 20+ years ago and didn't know what to expect this time. The food was excellent! Everything was cooked perfectly. The restaurant was busy with only a few waiters, but service was good as well. Very enjoyable meal and not too expensive.Special Features:
- Not the most notable ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008Not the most notable Italian food I've ever had, but traditional southern Italian. We had a great table in the front window which, for 8 people, allowed us some quiet to share conversation. Those who had wine enjoyed the choices.
- We had a very good time onOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/21/2008We had a very good time on the busy last day of Restaurant Week. Service was efficient and friendly. Good hearty fare - big serving sizes!Special Features:
- The food was wonderful andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/19/2008The food was wonderful and our waiter was commented by the group as one of the best for service and charm... It was a pleasure to dine at lunch and plan to give dinner a try soon with my husband. thanks againSpecial Features:
- Always consistent - food isOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/17/2008Always consistent - food is yummy, service is great and the accordion guy is the BEST!Special Features:
- The booth divider thing shouldOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008The booth divider thing should be made more firm so that if I accidentally bump my arm against it, it shouldn't rattle.
- It is an old school itailianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008It is an old school itailian restaurant with a lot of character. Far more than any of the newer, trendier places. The food was excellent. A perfect Boston North End experience.Special Features:
- A tight fit especially crammedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2008A tight fit especially crammed into a corner with a larger party talking loudly in our ears. Were not seated very quickly despite several open tables and reservations. Waiter not very good. Never brought over the Diet Coke my wife ordered and would walk away before we could make any requests. Seemed annoyed to have been serving us. He made several trips because he wouldn't let us ask for sugar, more water, etc. Expensive though we knew that, but were also charged twice for our tip: cash and then credit card. Waiter definitely did not deserve TWO tips as he barely deserved the one he got.Special Features:
- Very good food, decent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2008Very good food, decent service and atmosphere. Would go again sometime...too many other choices on Hanover street in Boston to go to the same place all the time.Special Features:
- Old School AUTHENTIC italianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/18/2008Old School AUTHENTIC italian food. Their Veal parmesean plate was impressive.... Generous piece of veal. and we loved the gentleman playing the accordian, how romantic!
- DisappointedIrishPubLoverDined on 2/13/2008Disappointed in food and gruff service, this was an old favorite of ours that we wanted to take our grown children to. The Italian music was good though. After finding parking in the North End and spending considerable time, money, and effort to get there, ALL restaurants in this area should be first class especially food and service.
- Tried this restaurant forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2007Tried this restaurant for New Year's Eve dinner. Food was great, loved the atmosphere, great decorations for that time of year, very romantic as well as geared for families and larger parties.Special Features:
- I used to really like theirOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2007I used to really like their food and have been several times over the past few years but think that their food quality and service have declined. It seems more cookie-cutter type now. I have not been back since my last visit and not sure if I will again as there are so many great Italian places in the North End.
- Charming Old World ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/30/2007Charming Old World Italian food and atmosphere. Great gnocchi.Special Features:
- WE WENT FOR AN 80TH BIRTHDAYlove2eatDined on 3/4/2007WE WENT FOR AN 80TH BIRTHDAY AND SHE WAS VERY PLEASED WITH EVERYTHING AND SO WERENT THE REST OF THE GROUP. MY HUSBAND IS FUSSY AND HE LOVED IT SO MUCH HE WANTS TO GO BACK AGAIN.Special Features: