Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase
5225 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 2027779959x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday 11:30-11:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Steve Lukis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Regardless of your party size, Rosa Mexicano is the perfect venue to offer your guests a creative, upscale experience that few restaurants can match. We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, pre fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'oeuvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Kaye Newsome at 202.777.9959 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Our family style parties accommodate 10-20 guests in the main dining room. We have a private room for sit-down dinners or cocktail receptions. The restaurant is also available for buyouts. We offer off-site catering for parties of any size.
- Private Party Contact: Kaye Newsome 2027779959x
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 4-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
FESTIVAL DE HELADOS | JULY 31-AUG 24
Desserts inspired by classic savory dishes such as guacamole, tamales and empanadas, and paired with handmade ice creams and sorbets infused with Mexican flavors ranging from prickly pear to chili-spiced chocolate.
KIDS EAT FREE | SUN - THURS (Dinner Only)
Enjoy a complimentary kids meal with the purchase of
any adult entrée*.
*Limit 2 kids per adult. Kids 10 yrs & Under
- Cross Street: Ingomar St NW
- Public Transit: Red Line - Friendship Heights.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Rosa Mexicano provides discounted parking for our valued guests in the Colonial Parking Garage on Jenifer Street.
Before 5pm - $6 with validation
After 5pm - $4 with validation
The Garage is open till 10pm Sun-Thurs and 12am on Friday and Saturday.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase
In 1984, Rosa Mexicano set a new standard for Mexican cuisine when it first opened in New York City. Playing a leading role in defining what was then a "new" cuisine to American diners, Rosa Mexicano delivers authentic Mexican cooking in an accessible, stylishly festive atmosphere. Rosa Mexicano's menu features a range of award-winning signature dishes, including our Guacamole en Molcajete, in a traditional lava rock mortar. Described by Time Out New York as "green ecstasy in a stone bowl," it is prepared table side and served with house made chips, warm corn tortillas and condiment salsas. Rosa Mexicano is also known for the Frozen Pomegranate Margarita, as well as the modern and festive ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase - Best Restaurants in Chevy Chase, DC ›
Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (25)fit for foodies (24)great for outdoor dining (19)great for lunch (16)special occasion (15)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (6)romantic (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food and service, bad tableCCSusanVIPDined on 5/2/2014My husband and I really enjoyed the drinks, food and service at Rosa Mexicano. My pomegranate margarita was delicious and generous in size. The guacamole was very good. Our only complaint was that we were given a table right next to the service station. There were other open tables so we probably should have complained. At the least, we should have received a discount on our food.Special Features:
- Tasty fareGourmetFoodLoverDined on 5/2/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Rosa Mexicano. Overall, the food was great and their Cinco de Mayo prix fixe menu was well worth the $30.Special Features:
- AfinedinerDined on 5/2/2014First time eating at Rosa Mexicano in Friendship Heights. Very nice wait staff with just the right touch of seeing when we needed more food, water without being intrusive.Guacamole is the star here. Probably one of the three best places, if not the best as it is chunky and has a great flavor. We call had different types of tacos and were all pleased. Will definitely be returning for more god eats.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceJCooperDined on 4/26/2014Comparable to the Chinatown location, but the service was very slowSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2014Great restaurant. Please bring back enchiladas with mole sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The table-side guacamole orderDCfoodieDined on 4/11/2014The table-side guacamole order is always great and so are the fish tacos. I was totally happy with my go-to dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Never FailsAuntieBeeVIPDined on 4/5/2014Once again, the best guac in town! The skirt stake was yummy and the frozen pomagrante martini was amazing ... I would not share it!!!Special Features:
- Too loud for my taste!ROSEDined on 4/4/2014Granted, I always seem to go on a weekend night, but it's just too loud to hold a conversation comfortably. Food was good, but they always try to upsell you which I don't appreciate (guac, margarita's, to name a few). On the other hand, we were seated earlier than our reservation called for, which was nice.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceDCCloserVIPDined on 3/29/2014We have been to Rosa Mexicana many times and the food is always fantastic. The tableside made guac is wonderful, the mahi fish tacos were great, fried plaintains were sweet and not greasy. Food is consistently fabulous. Unfortunately, it seems the restaurant has some issues when they are busy in terms of consistent service. We were served our tableside guac, but had no chips to eat with it. We asked for chips no less than 3 times, of 3 different people (including the manager who came over to our table). Took about 10 minutes to get chips. Refills on drinks were nonexistent and silverware to eat our dessert was delayed, as well. Hopefully, Rosa Mexican can improve their service at busy times to keep up with their good food.Special Features:
- While the wait person wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/29/2014While the wait person was good and the drinks fine, the restaurant could not get the dinner order straight (two reorders to get it right) and when it did arrive, the meal was disappointing to say the least. This will be one restaurant we do not go back to.
- Good guacamole - not much elseDktran31VIPDined on 3/25/2014So I heard about their infamous guacamole and how it is prepared tableside. Had a weekday dinner reservation with my girlfriend. The service was fairly good, not exceptional. The place was not busy at all. The guacamole was very good and fresh. However some may say that it is overpriced. Being that it is prepared in front of you, I guess the high price is justified by means of presentation. The other food was not as good. To me it tasted like any other Mexican chain restaurant in the area. Nothing special but good, just good.Special Features:
- HoppyGoffyDined on 3/23/2014It is a good rest with good food and a +great ambience Churros were delighful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just 'OK'SarahVIPDined on 3/20/2014I've been to Rosa Mexicano at Friendship Heights many times. This time, was OK. I met co-workers who were seating in the back of the restaurant, a place to we usually sit and enjoy happy hour drinks and food. I was surprised to find out that they would no longer offer us happy hour prices because we weren't at the bar - something we had done many times before. The service was also lack-luster and the pork carnitas were overcooked. Overall, disappointing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food - service lackedDianeVIPDined on 3/15/2014This was a Saturday lunch and the restaurant was nearly empty. While the guacamole is always tasty, my mahi mahi dish was very dry, as if it had been overcooked. But the most negative thing about the whole experience was the server, who seemed to be oh so eager to push more wine, food, etc. It was just two of us girls and we are not big eaters or drinkers, although he did manage to persuade us for a second round of wine. It was then that he asked if I was my friend's mom (!). Admittedly, this is the equivalent of asking a non-pregnant woman when her baby is due. For the record, my friend is 34 and I am 46 and often assumed to be younger than my real age. Wow. Talk about an ego blow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/8/2014In a nutshell, the service is pleasant, the drinks are fine, the guacamole, made fresh at your table is good, and the rest of the food is pretty awful.
- Mexican food with a twistAndreaDined on 3/6/2014I hadn't been to Rosa Mexicano in a long while. I had a business meeting at noon during the week. The interior design and creative food give this restaurant a lot of personality. I had a salad with salmon which was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2014Waiter was very attentive till the end when it came time for the check. Service was very quick and prompt but took a little while after asking for it. Food was ok, nothing special. It was a bit cold and tasted like it had been precooked rather than cooked fresh. We got seated by the door and it was very cold. The back looked a lot nicer. Good meal, nothing special. We would not return.
- Food was excellent. ReallyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/24/2014Food was excellent. Really a pleasure to eat there. Superb managementI would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was terrible!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2014Our waiter disappeared several times & I had to get up & go get my own refills. I also had to get up & ask another waiter for a set of silverware. I'm not the type that needs a waiter every few minutes, but atleast done forget to take my order for an entree. They had a new menu which was shorter than the previous menu. The resteraunt was clean. The guacamole was outstanding. The drinks were fair. My wife enjoyed the mahi mahi. The appetizers are above average.
- Wonderful experienceAmy2456VIPDined on 2/22/2014I went to rosa Mexicano on a date and had a wonderful time. The waitress didn't rush us through our dinner and gave us some pointers since my date had never been before. Great food and wonderful margaritas! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodMoebeDined on 2/21/2014I love Rosa Mexicano at Union Square in NYC and always go when in New York so I was excited to eat at Rosa in D.C. Unfortunately, the food was a huge disappointment. It came out cold so we sent it back and it wasn't much better the second time. I chose the same dishes I get in New York but something is getting lost in the execution.
- Valentine's Day at Rosa MexicanaCaptainBillDined on 2/14/2014Our server was great! The food very good - as always at Rosa Mexicana. The $40 prix fixe menu was a good deal for a Valentine's Day dinner at a nice restaurant in the District. We'll go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average Mexican placeMavMelVIPDined on 2/8/2014A gourmet experience with tastes and textures of Mexico. From the fresh table side prepared guacamole, slightly sweet and smoky salsa, to the pork tacos, or alambre camarones-we enjoyed each bite. The healthier brown rice was plump & delicious, the beans, well they were done right. We also tried a dish we weren't familiar with the Bundito (can't remember name) it was like a Mexican lasagna, with layers of corn tortillas, chicken and creamy yummy-i-ness. Our waiter was attentive, knowledgeable and helpful with suggestions. I asked for a tarter limey margarita and he had it made with special tequila-I enjoyed two. No room for desert, but my son who was visiting from Panama said, "I would definitely come back even if they didn't have tamales."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date with a special girlLAVinDCDined on 2/7/2014The hosts were genuinely warm and welcoming. I read they offer a gluten-free menu which they were very happy to accommodate. The server was fantastic, came to the table promptly to pour water and ask for a drink order. I told him we were ready to order and were in a bit of a hurry. He helped me navigate the gluten-free menu and explain food items from the regular menu my niece was interested in ordering. He brought my skinny margarita out fast (I needed it) with chips and salsa. He checked in with us and let me know the food will be out shortly. The food came out quickly, everything we ordered was exactly as we ordered it and delicious!! One of the best experiences I have had in a long time....I dine out at least twice a week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rosa is a gem!DEaterDined on 1/29/2014Excellent food, awesome decor, and engaging service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice evening outGreyPouponDined on 1/25/2014This was our first visit to the Chevy Chase Rosa Mexicano. The four of us (2 adults, 2 children) had a wonderful dinner on a recent Saturday evening. The service was great and the kids found many options on the menu to chose from. They especially enjoyed our guac appetizer made fresh at our table. All 4 entrees were excellent. BUT don't forget the guac!!! This isn't your typical Mexican restaurant. The service, food, cocktails, ambiance were all very special and more typical of what you'd find in many of the nice DC restaurants.
- Love this place!ShannonDined on 1/24/2014This place is absolutely perfect! It is a MUST to get the guacamole and the Mexican doughnuts. Everything else is amazing too, including the margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying to Pass for Quality MexicanFoodwonkVIPDined on 1/18/2014Rosa Mexicana has deteriorated. We went for restaurant week. The guacamole was shameful - no lime, little cilantro. Just mashed avocado. The sopa de tortilla a greasy bowl of chile flavored broth with scant tortilla trim. Fish a la verucruzan without olives? What's up? This was supposed to be a chain that boasted Mexican chefs. It is now a far cry from anything that ever saw the light of day in Mexico City!
- Busy Night Equals Poor DiningmddinerVIPDined on 1/18/2014It was a busy Saturday night, but the restaurant should be able to handle it. Very slow in taking drink orders, serving starters, and brining entrees. Took forever for guacamole to be made table-side. The tortilla soup was tasty but not hot. My grilled fish was very small and just OK. My friend hardly tasted duck in her duck tacos. A restaurant that clearly caters to groups should have been able to handle our table of 6 much better than it did.
- Wonderful DiningCarlaDined on 1/18/2014We brought my 91 year old mother to this restaurant in her wheel chair. Everyone was so helpful. It was truly like a vacation. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...BorincanoVIPDined on 1/17/2014The food's good, the menu's good, the restaurant is lovely. It's just too expensive for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudmiketDined on 1/17/2014Mariachi band very loud and drowned out any table conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meat dishes21vekaVIPDined on 1/12/2014Well located neighborhood restaurant, even though part of a chain. Nice contemporary ambience, comfortable and spacious seating. Tasty food, especially the meat dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same great foodtjermVIPDined on 1/11/2014We love coming knowing we will get great service and an excellent meal. Looking forward to the upcoming menu changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food made it okay...HatterbakeVIPDined on 1/11/2014The food was excellent but the service was lacking. I literally had to harass the bartender go track down the hose as a line formed to be seated. Then the waiter was a little pushy. Food was excellent though.Special Features:
- Very good!LauraDined on 1/11/2014Service was good, food was good..we even got a free dessert! The churros were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs spiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/8/2014. Service was very good. Food and margaritas were a little bland. Surprisingly, the desserts were the best course.
- Good food. Service a bit slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/5/2014The food was excellent, but the service was a bit slow, considering we were thereon a Sunday evening when the restaurentwas not all that crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was very unremarkablemariaDined on 1/3/2014We were very disappointed in our meal - very bland and not that interesting-- not what we expected from a higher end Mexican restaurant with those prices. My boys ordered adult meals and were still hungry when we left. Kind of ridiculous when our family of 4 had 1 appetizer, 4 dinners , 1 beer, 1 margarita and 1 soda and the bill came to $125. Our server was nice but pushy with the overpriced drinks. I had taken 2 drinks from my margarita and he asked if he could get me another one. The guacamole was the only thing that saved the night .
- strangely bad serviceAmandaDined on 1/3/2014The service was bizarrely bad. Multiple times, the waiter brought the wrong thing, and did not offer sufficient information about certain dishes. For example, the kids' quesadilla was offered on either flour or corn tortillas but he did not offer a choice, and brought corn tortillas, which my daughter did not like. He also mixed up our drinks, brought out beans which I said I couldn't eat and brought the wrong flavor of ice cream. He was nice about fixing things, but it just didn't seem normal that he made four different food errors in one meal. The food was reasonably good. The mariachi band was OK, but a little loud.