Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
321 W 44th Street Unit 103
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
BarbecuePrice: $31 to $50
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: 6466929115
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30am–3pm (last call)
Mon–Thu: 3pm–11pm (last call)
Fri & Sat: 3pm–12am (last call)
Sun: 3pm–10pm (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: A table of up to 15 guests situated in the back of restaurant in a private dining room.
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
Gyu kaku's specialty is Yakiniku where our guest become chefs, cooking up a variety of luscious marinated meats, along with a wide variety of delectable dishes, served with our invigorating spirit and sublime atmosphere, you will definitely enjoy your experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (25)great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (6)hot spot (5)romantic (4)late-night find (3)neighborhood gem (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- fun place..great apps...burnersFoodie1Dined on 8/3/2013fun place..great apps...burners on tables to cook your own meats was interesting/tastySpecial Features:
- We had to wait....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2013We had to wait even though we had a reservation. What's the point of making one?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cooking ClassGreeneyeddevilVIPDined on 7/25/2013It was fun to cook your own meat and be given a mini tutorial on the grill.
- good news for people live at westhoopVIPDined on 7/24/2013If you can not make a reservation Gyukaku east village or midtown, call Times Square. Because Gyukaku Times Square is not busy so far.Special Features:
- Terrible service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2013I've loved the Gyu Kaku restaurants in Los Angeles and New York for years but this terrible Times Square one does not hold up. Worst service I've ever received from a terrible waiter who did not know the menu and advised us on the opposite of what we wanted. Didnt take time to explain cooking times and was just overall bad service and the menu was not as good as the other locations.
- Host and foodSonyaVIPDined on 7/5/2013Gentleman host is the best in NYC. Pleasant and attentive. Food is always amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 4OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/4/2013The air conditioner wasn't blasting the way it should have been on July 4 and the area we were in was a little hot- besides the BBQ grills, of course! But always a lovely time and love the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BBQOldmanJeffersonDined on 7/4/2013I remember when this outfit was over by NYU. It is still just as good and still as much fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Place;Great Food;Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/29/2013I went with my husband and daughter (7 years old) for lunch and we really enjoyed ourselves. My daughter loves being able to cook her own food and this is definitely the place to do it! The food was fresh and delicious and the french pinot noir was surprisingly good for the price. The cut of the meat and favoring was spot on. They even had s'mores which was a big hit!! Please keep in mind that we did not order the kitchen made entrees but only the "grill your own". We will be returning with a bigger group and look forward to trying the other grill meats and fish. This has been added to our list of favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnermjmjDined on 6/24/2013we brought our parents to this place as big family. my son broke glass(we are so sorry!!) but they took care of it instantly. rice was very dry and not very tasty but everything else was delicious!! 3 staffs came to sing birthday song to my mom which was great surprise to her, made her night! Will definitely go back to this place. oh green tea ice cream had rich flavor i loved it.Special Features:
- The service was amazing. EveryoneFoodieDined on 6/23/2013The service was amazing. Everyone was so nice and friendly. They were so on top of things we didn't even have to ask for anything-extra napkins, water, etc. Special thank you to Kevin and Nita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & deliciousbeckyberry822Dined on 6/20/2013This place is amazing! The food is fresh and delicious. A fun setting! Great service in a very enjoyable ambiance. I will definitely return and recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting...Must Do It AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2013First time eating @ Japanese BBQ and it was better than expected. It was easy and so much fun...my wife and I had a blast cooking all of the yummy meats and veggies. The Bimibap rice was amazing and the drinks were very tasty. Overall, very fair prices for such good quality. Must do it again!Special Features:
- Great for Happy HourRK238Dined on 6/9/2013Went for the lunch happy hour on a Sunday. It was $28 for 2 and we got the Sakura prix fixe. We had 5 small plates of beef plus salad, miso soup and some rice. The meat was good but I thought the portions were a little too small. It was ok for 2 girls to share, but certainly not enough for guys. We also had the sukiyaki bibimbap for takeout and its pretty good. Green tea crepe/cake looks like the ones from Lady M but certainly doesn't taste as good. Overall, I think the happy hour is a great deal for the quality of the food, but I wouldn't pay full price for the quantity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something Different, Fun, and TastyTeachDined on 6/8/2013Excellent food and service. A very anjoyable dining experience. Will definitely go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday pre theater dinner..vitoriobaldiDined on 6/8/2013If you don't wan Thai or sushi and OK will grilling your food..than its OK experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!ByreadDined on 6/7/2013We had a group of six and we received excellent service and the food was amazing. What a unique and fun place for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2013The food was good and fresh, the service very good and the atmosphere was festive, all while remaining sleek and modern. A tall order fulfilled! We enjoyed it very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go backBcubeboy513Dined on 6/3/2013Usually go to east village one, and I would axtually go to east village then here.Special Features:
- Great experience all aroundHollyDined on 5/31/2013My husband and I went here on a Friday night. We waited a few minutes to be seated, but after that we were amazed at the speed of the service. We ordered the Kobe beef meal for 2. Within minutes of ordering, they started to bring out the appetizers. Then they brought out the meat. It was already seasoned and tasted amazing! For dessert, the served a green tea cake and ice cream. It was also very good. We got 2 drinks at the bar and paid $10. The amount of food was very filling, without making us feel stuffed. I highly recommend this restaurant for its great food and service. Also, the concept of Japanese BBQ is unique. It is perfect for a date night or a night out with the family. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed but hopefulOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/25/2013I am a frequent diner at the midtown location and had high hopes for an equivalent experience. Unfortunately, it appeared that they were short-staffed and only saw our waitress a few times. However, she was doing her best and I cannot complain about her. She was always cheerful and accommodating. We ordered the $70 meal for 2 and the bass was left little to be desired and the garlic rice was very mushy (overcooked and saturated with water). I hope these small issues get corrected. The midtown location is excellent and I enjoy the service, atmosphere and overall presentation.
- won't seat until all party arrivedeaterDined on 5/24/2013As expected, food was good. I thought it was a bit ridiculous that the hostess won't seat us until all members of the party have arrived, so this not a place for a big group unless all of you can get there at the same time. she was a bit snooty telling me that this is their policy. I'm talking about when 7 ppl have arrived for a party of 8!!!
- Great food and funLoriBVIPDined on 5/22/2013We really enjoyed Gyu-Kaku. The servers walked us through the menu and made good recommendations. The food was very tasty and it was fun to cook it ourselves at the BBQ on the table. We loved the meats, noodles, veggies and green tea dessert cake.
- Almost like Japanese Tapas...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/12/2013A great place to do more than order off the menu..... You cook table-top...... Like Korean BBQ but with small sharable plates of food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mother day eventdanmanDined on 5/12/2013came in from nj for mothers day with the kids. we all had a great time, kids cooked for momSpecial Features:
- Perfect group spot...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2013Gyu is a gem. Whether you're a foodie or just need a solid reason to bring together some friends, it's the perfect interactive dining experience. The food was great, the servers were knowledgeable, and the hosts were friendly and accommodating which is not in abundance in NYC. It's truly a hidden treasure in the hectic scene of Times Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cook your own food!LouIDined on 5/11/2013Cook for yourself over a sunken BBQ/Grill. Fun place - Good Sake - good times.Special Features:
- Not the best day for our server.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/9/2013The wait for two cocktails was extensive. Other people's drinks were delivered to our table. Our appetizers came within a reasonable amount time. The three other items-which we cook ourselves-took forever to arrive. Other tables that came in after us got everything sooner. No apology from the waitress. She seemed flustered throughout our lunch. But other servers were around helping and it didn't seem to make anything better.
- Great place to come with friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/7/2013The happy hour specials are really convenient. Had the hanabi for 2 and split it between four people, lycheetinis are amazing, the Kobe bistro and NY strip steaks are very good too. Fun atmosphere and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love happy hour at gyu-kakugyuregularDined on 5/7/2013Great food, happy hour prices on food and drinks is the best!! I've dined here about 10 times and I can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceLoveToEatDined on 5/3/2013Every location I've visited in NYC has superb customer service. The waiters are amazing at explaining the Gyu concept to newcomers (in which my friend was). Food was amazing as always. Only 'complaint' I have about Gyu is that all of the drinks are SO STRONG! lol. My friend liked it so I guess that is all that really matters! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayNnedadsDined on 5/3/2013I had so much fun here. Though I wouldn't suggest this place for a romantic date, it was different than normal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but Service HoribleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/1/2013Been going here for months now and each visit has gotten worse and worse where the food doesn't come out in a timely fashion or they forget to give you part of your order but still charge you for it. The sad thing is that there wasn't even the excuse that they were busy. This trip, the appetizer never showed up. The drinks were wrong even after asking them to fix. Then the brought out the meat for us to cook but no rice at all. Their excuse was their system was off but how do you forget the rice that you eat with along with the meat? Very very disappointed as I really enjoy the food and the flavors but the service is horrendous and when they can't even get your bill right its a big no.
- Server was attentive and energetic,KonstantinDined on 4/26/2013Server was attentive and energetic, I was really full but his personality made me want to order more!Special Features:
- Love this place - serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/23/2013Love this place - service wasn't as good as usual this time, but would definitely go back.
- everything is ok, just itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013everything is ok, just it seems that the restaurant is short of people serving customers. you usually have to ask the same thing for several times in order to get it.Special Features:
- Pat was great! Most friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/17/2013Pat was great! Most friendly server we have had in a while.
- Fun and DifferentTheatregoerDined on 4/17/2013Interesting place. Lots of food. Everything we had was very tasty. Could not finish all that was served.
- funJanetVIPDined on 4/16/2013go during happy hour for more bang for your buck. fun time hereSpecial Features:
- Friendly, clean, a bit darkJimDVIPDined on 4/14/2013Friendly, clean, a bit dark and huge tables, all booths. So that is either good or bad. I probably wouldn't go during the summer because the grill built into the table was hot. The food was fresh but can you give a little bit more. They tell you to order more than one serving. Why the heck don't you increase the price a little and make it a satisfying meal. And didn't appreciate the sales pitch for other things. Overall it is an ok place for tourists. As a New Yorker, I can do alot better.