Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
321 W 44th Street Unit 103
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
BarbecuePrice: $31 to $50
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gyu-kaku.com/
- Phone: 6466929115
- Hours of Operation:
Everyday 11:30am–3pm (last call)
Mon–Thu: 3pm–11pm (last call)
Fri & Sat: 3pm–12am (last call)
Sun: 3pm–10pm (last call)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: A table of up to 15 guests situated in the back of restaurant in a private dining room.
A word from Gyu-Kaku - Times Square
Gyu kaku's specialty is Yakiniku where our guest become chefs, cooking up a variety of luscious marinated meats, along with a wide variety of delectable dishes, served with our invigorating spirit and sublime atmosphere, you will definitely enjoy your experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Gyu-Kaku - Times Square reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (28)great for lunch (18)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (11)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (6)romantic (5)late-night find (4)neighborhood gem (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A NYC FavouriteRJK1961Dined on 12/29/2013This was our second visit and it's more of a fun experience than just a meal. The BBQ is lots of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of fun, reservationsjoyboyVIPDined on 12/25/2013A lot of fun, reservations a must, good for pre-theater, but allow plenty of time, because the cook it yourself motif takes time. Food was very good and so was the experience. "Happy hour" pricing good, too.Special Features:
- Fun Experience but not spectacularGrayandAnnaDined on 12/23/2013Gyu-Kaku is a very unique restaurant. When you sit down the first thing you see is an open circular grill in front of you. You order off the menu a plate of raw meats paired with vegetables. The food was okay but the fun experience of grilling it yourself made it feel a little better. The restaurant was pretty dead and service was a bit slow. I would recommend going into this restaurant with the idea that you are going to have an interesting night, not for an exquisite meal.Special Features:
- other locations have better serviceWhere2eatVIPDined on 12/22/2013The one in Midtown East has better service than the one in times square, and a nice view if you get a table by the windows. The food is great at all locationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Family Dining with Older KidsDallasDawnDined on 12/21/2013The personal hibachi grills at the tables were something we had not yet experienced. But it was a big hit with our family... even our teenager! The food was great, and they kept us on track to catch our Broadway show with time to spare.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Japanese style BBQLouIDined on 12/21/2013I have a friend that once said he does not want to go out to eat and cook his own food. I love it! Cook everything to your own taste. There are several locations in NYC. I even found myself at one in LA. Always a good meal. This location is great since it is two blocks from the shows on Broadway. Sake selection is ok. Not the best but some selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite in NYCGuestDined on 12/20/2013Great place!!! Super fun and great food. I definitely recommend it, I go at least once a month!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Place!Aleja041961Dined on 12/18/2013I had an amazing time with my boyfriend. It was so romantic cooking our on food. The food tasted incredible and the drinks were great. We both had a good time and will be returning soon. Our server was sweet and well-informed. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch for 8CL48Dined on 12/18/2013We enjoyed the meal immensely. one comment was that the wings were a little salty and the service charge on bringing your own alcohol was outrageously high. L48Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for my birthday dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013Went for my birthday dinner. Had a party of 7 so we got the meat lovers prix fixe set.food was phenomenal, but wasn't enough to fill everyone up. Will definitely frequenting this place oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesSckabbaDined on 12/5/2013Fun times. Good food. Great for a group of friends. Happy Hour drink specials were great as well. Would definitely recommend this place to folks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good time had by allyoonsterVIPDined on 12/4/2013great place for a lively, energetic, and interactive dinner experience. had a great time. the only downside - the reservation system is always down so took too long to get an online reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!ClaudiaVIPDined on 12/1/2013I went with 5 friends and the food was great! Several made their first visit and firt time to use chopsticks and then cooking their own food! Fun for group dining, affordable and plenty of food to be shared! I already gave 3 referrals to friends that are going there tonight! Cant wait to return.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amusing and tastyFredikooDined on 12/1/2013Food is excellent; the service is courteous and fast--maybe too fast! Menu is very confusing--there are various combinations and single items on about 4 different menu sheets; difficult to figure everything out The staff talks very fast as though programmed so understanding what they are saying is not easy for a novice. They need to slow down to human levels of speed in their descriptions of the food and prices. Really annoying--and I mean REALLY annoying-- is the volume of music and TV sound blasted into the place, several sounds careening over other sounds. That truly spoils the ambiance. Why not play gentle Japanese music, or even western classical music? The choices, especially since several pieces play at once, are terrible.
- HappyChrisDined on 11/30/2013Its a perfect to hang out with friend and eat a lot. Nomnomnom!!!! The food is great and the service crew are pleasant. See you soon gyu-kaku!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for lunchKacieDined on 11/27/2013Lunch price is reasonable. For 2, we ordered 2 meat lovers (come with 2 choices of meat, rice, miss soup and small salad-$13 each), 1 bimbimbap ($6) and 2 drinks ($5 each). We were so full. If there was lettuce come with the meat, I would have rated 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and Kid FriendlyPickyEaterDined on 11/26/2013Fun dining experience for family and friends...lots of options. Opted for the fixed price assortment with a couple a la carte add ons. Plenty of food for 4 adults and 4 kids. S'mores at the end were a big hit! Loud inside which worked well for our rowdy crowd--didn't feel like our excited kids were interrupting anyone else's meals. Very helpful and attentive waitstaff. Overall fun dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality meetbeemitzDined on 11/23/2013Many kinds of great quality meet. music is a bit noisy. Gyoza was freezing inside, but all other menu were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2013I enjoyed my time over there.. though the food was a little lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!!! Food was amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013Great time!!! Food was amazing and we weren't rushed!!!! Can't wait to return with the rest of family!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Good ExperienceSmileforfoodDined on 11/3/2013Went with the boyfriend for our sunday evening date before our show. We had a great evening bbq-ing. The food proportion is rather small. Sometimes the service can be a bit slow. But will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent experience- food cameOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/2/2013Decent experience- food came super fast, and for the most part was pretty good! When it comes to barbecue meat and bibimbap though, still much prefer the options in korea town. I do like how you can make reservations here though, which saves you waiting time. In conjunction with the fact that food comes fast, it makes for a very efficient place to get dinner with a group of friends.Special Features:
- Great place to visitTailuvs2eatDined on 10/31/2013I love this restaurant. It is a wonderful experience and you'll have a great time with the right people. Everyone was so friendly and helpful when I went and I would definitely come again. The food was pretty good. The menu was a little intimidating to me but the waiter helped a great deal with that with the suggestions he made. Overall, it was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food awesome serviceTangDined on 10/24/2013We ordered the dinner special for 2 that came with miso soup, salad, volcano somethings, bim bop, 5 meats to BBQ and smores +1 more dessert. Kimberly was awesome. Very professional. Answered our questions and provided us info on grilling times. The place is a bit loud and has a casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 45 min waiting timeKennyDined on 10/12/2013We made a reservation but we had to wait for 45min to get a table. We are a party of three, arrived there on time. It was not acceptable.
- Horrible ServicesOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/12/2013Meat quality was really good, like the ones that we had in Japan, however it does not match with the services. Services from front desk to dinning table was the worst customer service we ever had in a Japanese chain restaurant. It was very disappointing, and thus we will never go back again.
- Had a great time at the TimesuwsdaveVIPDined on 10/11/2013Had a great time at the Times Square location. We were late for our res by about a half hour and the staff was accommodating and sat us in a reasonable amount of time. We love the variety of choices and the smores are a great way to close the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disorganized and slow serviceMattDined on 10/11/2013Waited 25min for our table, which we had a reservation for. We were a group of 10, so I understand some delay but clearly they couldn't handle this. Ironically I started searching for alternatives on Open Table and low and behold this restaurant came up for the present time. So I think they were just really disorganized at the host/hostess stand. The service was slow and spotty. Also since we were in effectively 2 booths with the wall removed it was really difficult to order, communicate, etc... The food was good, so I would go back for that, at a less busy time with fewer people.
- enjoyed the happy hourtinbacDined on 10/3/2013Me and my friends went there before 6pm to avail of the happy hour food and drinks menu. all their bbq are good and were half off.. about $3.50-$4. the server also suggested the beef intestine which was good since i dont really eat intestines. Also love the green tea mille crepe for dessert. Good prices for happy hour! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable price and niceNYDogDined on 10/1/2013Reasonable price and nice service. However, relatively noisy from outside traffic becuase our table was next to windows.Special Features:
- Good for after theater touristsGratefulDaveDined on 9/29/2013If you ever been to a real Korean BBQ and this is your only shot, take it. They say its Japanese, but it is Korean style, not the typical Japanese style we see here like Benihana's where your food is cooked on a metal griddle, this place cooks on an open flame. Usually in a Korean BBQ you get a bunch of small dishes with different pickled or spiced vegetables included like Kimchi. Here you have to pay for them ala carte and the meat or fish is still as expense. I had the Chilean sea bass and the cod. All were good, but unexceptional, except the cod, which had a miso butter sauce. If you want a better meal and will travel a little further, go to one of the better rated places in Little Korea. Service was great! Foodies will not be thrilled.Special Features:
- Every Gyu-Kaku is differentKariDined on 9/24/2013I have been to all three locations in Manhattan, this one in Time Square is my first visit. Overall the food are ok, we ordered the Autumn special set and for some reason the salad taste different than we had before. The meat are so-so, overall the meal is average, nothing notable.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceJingleDined on 9/1/2013Great food but horrible service! I believe our server name was Patrick, avoid him! We eventually had a trainee help out and he was fantastic, we tipped him and not our server!Special Features:
- Never come backNonameDined on 9/1/2013I ordered 5 dishes but i only got 3, so i just double checked to staff but never come back. I catched other guy, but he was busy. The first waitless never come back. Also everything took long, the other table came later than our group received everything earlier than us. I really like Gyu-kaku restaurant but except for this place. That was terrible, completely spoiled our travel. Thank you for the great time, Period.Special Features:
- Its a Blast of FunAljayDined on 8/28/2013We came from a Play and I surprised my date with(Reservations) to this very Nice interaction of Great food & Lots of fun sharing the Grill together Because it allowed for serving each other and that was what I'm doing for my date since we've been together. She had the opportunity to do the same (That's real progress for a valuable relationship developing.) The waiter was very cool and swift with our order as he specifically shared "How it works" since it was our first time lol "Not our Last" lolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, expensiveAsapDined on 8/21/2013WE didn't enjoy this restaurant that was too noisy. Service was not good, they bring small plates in a disorganized way : appetizers without drinks, noodles before meat, meats one by one and slowly (while they do not have to prepare anything as you cook by yourself), vegetables at the end... Food was good, still...
- Great TimeBerniDined on 8/17/2013Had a better time that I thought I would having to cook my own food. The desserts are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gyu-Kaku FanLove2EatDined on 8/16/2013I absolutely love eating at Gyu-Kaku. I've been to the location in East Village and Times Square. Both are great. They have exceptional service and affordable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try something a little different!IlTenoreVIPDined on 8/11/2013A special treat for a convivial couples dinner, including 2 Japanese expats. We chose one of the presets ("Kando") for 4 persons, and augmented with a few favorite extras. A delicious variety of meats, seafood and vegetables, with soup, salad, fried rice, and garlic noodles to accompany, and fun make-your-own "Smores" for dessert. I always enjoy Gyu-Kaku, and it is a clear favorite with my Japanese partner and friends; I think it's a bit of a touchstone for Home. House specialty cocktails are delicious, too, and the better bar choice (standard cocktails don't fare as well). Attentive servers kept the grill freshened and were helpful explaining the grilling process (not that my friends needed instruction). Great Happy Hour bargains at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice nightSGfamilyDined on 8/11/2013The food is different,vice a hibachi or sushi or fondue type restaurant. It is a nice break from the ordinary. The staff was friendly and attentive. We saw a play when we were finished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.