754 NE 25th Avenue
Ocala, FL 34470Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 3526209255
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Loring Felix
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering to meet your specific needs!
- Entertainment: Follow us on facebook for any upcoming events and entertainment!
A word from Braised Onion
Welcome to Braised Onion where we serve "comfort food with attitude!" Chef Felix has created a menu of gourmet southern foods with his special twist. Our wonderful desserts are homemade and will tickle your taste buds! We also offer a full-service liquor, wine and beer bar with happy hour from 4:00-6:00 daily. Try out our martini specials! Whether it's a big event or quaint party, you will enjoy our fantastic food, fun and colorful, festive atmosphere!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Braised Onion - Best Restaurants in Ocala ›
Braised Onion reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (19)special occasion (18)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (15)fit for foodies (12)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Personally, my quiche wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/22/2012Personally, my quiche was just fine - my husband did not like his crab cakes for the price. The other couple with us never commented on their food so not sure what that means. The onion loaf is superb. Ambiance is great. Had a large table next to us that was quite loud - but they left half way through our meal fortunately.Special Features:
- Was sadly dissapointed, asOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2012Was sadly dissapointed, as the Easter menu was a buffet, which we were not aware of, the food was cold, the choices were few, the food was not tasty, and the desserts were store bought, still in the aluminum pie pans from the grocery store. The food was picked over and messy. I truly was unhappy. I guess my expectations were high considering this is a restaurant owned by chef Felix.
- not so happy first timersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012this was our first time at the braised onion. my husband and i went for our anniversay following the article i read in the ocala magazine. i had very high hopes for this restaurant, which were not satisfied. we were not served any of the signature dip and bread at the beginning of the meal. the salads were very good and the side items were delicious but the actual entrees --no good at all. i had the lemon chicken and my husband had the country fried steak. very disappointing. i was very much looking forward to the chocolate torte i read about in the article but to end my not so satisfying experience they were not making that dessert on that night. i never even saw a manager walking the floor to express my feelings.
- The atmosphere was pleasant.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/20/2012The atmosphere was pleasant. The service was OK...not as good as it should have been considering the restaurant was only 60% full. The first rolls were hard and dry. The next ones were very good. The salad was very good but the mushroom soup was tasteless and contained no mushrooms. The prime rib was cool and tough. The braised short ribs were excellent. The wine list was very limited. We did not take advantage of the full bar. Basically another middle of the road florida restaurant.Special Features:
- Had a group of 8 people. ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2012Had a group of 8 people. Server was very good and helpful. Everyone said the foods ok One person had the prime rib and it was very good. Am not sure of return.
- Great Place to DineastutedinerDined on 3/9/2012Really enjoyed dining at the Braised Onion. Nice to be able to make reservations and we were seated promptly. Food and service were wonderful! Great place to dine before Ocala Civic Theatre.Special Features:
- honestly i ordered the stuffedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2012honestly i ordered the stuffed pork chops they were over done and hard the mashed potatoes came out cold one of our guests hah the same thing . not a great knight we will give it another try
- Great local food!mualphaDined on 3/9/2012Went for a great lunch with my relatives from Ocala - they were fans of the chef's previous restaurant and were happy to see that he was showcasing his talents at a new location. We had the short ribs and the stuffed fish from the lunch special menu - a great deal for $8.95. The short ribs were tasty and tender, served with lyonnaise potatoes and broccoli or mixed fresh veggies. I did not try the stuffed fish, but my sister and my cousin cleaned their plates and declared it delicious! For dessert we tried the tiramisu and the strawberry roll. Both seemed to be prepared inhouse, and while both were good, the strawberry roll was my favorite. Fresh strawberries and whipped cream with a tender fresh yellow cake. I'll try dinner next!Special Features:
- Wonderful place for a goodDGK1Dined on 3/4/2012Wonderful place for a good quality, fair price dinner. Nice since it is not a chain and should be great for the locals as well. We had a great server and the menu has good selections. Unfortunately half way through dinner some parents brought in children(too young to dine at this type of establishment) that where loud and crying.Special Features:
- The fried green tomatoes wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/25/2012The fried green tomatoes were a little too thick and not battered well. The Chicken Pot Pie was cold in the center. They microwaved the entire dish. My Pecan Crusted Salmon, however, was excellent. The veggies were a little overcooked though. I expect some glitches with a new restaurant, but Loring Felix is a veteran chef. Hope he gets it right soon!Special Features:
- We took out of town friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012We took out of town friends here for dinner and it was terrific. Everyone ordered something different and each dish was scrumptious. I had the pecan crusted salmon and the flavors were nicely balanced and the salmon was nice and moist. If you like prime rib, my husband said it was done just right.Our server was great and I would recommend this restaurant to everyone. I have been here for lunch also and the daily specials are nicely priced and delicious.Special Features:
- Nice experience. FOOD WASOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2012Nice experience. FOOD WAS GREAT. SERVICE WAS EXCELLENT.Special Features:
- A Valentines Day OutingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2012First of all, it WAS Valentines Day and the front end was chaos. Some people that arrived at 8:00 were getting seated ahead of people that got there at 7:15. Very bad form. I talked with Hope, who was running the front end and she said she would bring it up at the next staff mtg. I hope so. She blamed it on the computer system. We got braised onions with flat-bread that were delicious. We both got Filet Mignon. We asked for medium and got medium well, a little dry. My wife ordered sweet potato but got white. The portions were adequate for us since we are light eaters. They forgot the vegi's, we reminded them, later, they were delicious. The desert was custard with a large meringue heart. It was very good and large enough for two.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our evening and itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2012Enjoyed our evening and it nice to see the Felix's back in action!Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2012We went for Valentines Day. Although it was very busy (which is to be expected on Valentines Day), the staff was still very courteous and got us to our table while also trying to accomodate walk-ins. We knew when we got the bread that the food was going to be good. We all enjoyed our dinner very much. Disappointed that we didn't get to try dessert. We were just too full. Next time for sure!Special Features:
- I had made a reservation andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012I had made a reservation and when we got there we were given a small round table in the bar area. The area was loud and busy with patrons. If I had known I was going to be seated in the bar area, I would have cancelled my reservation. In the two dining areas, I saw numerous vacant tables but was told they were reserved and the only seating was in the bar area.Special Features:
- POOR QUALITY OF MEAT, COATINGOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2012POOR QUALITY OF MEAT, COATING TOO THICK - FRIED FILET MIGNON. FRIED GREEN TOMATOES VERY GOOD. ENJOYED FRIED CHICKEN, HOWEVER INSTEAD OF 1/2 CHICKEN, WAS SERVED BREAST AND 2 WINGS.Special Features:
- Good food at good price.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/5/2012Southern style cuisine that is a step above "momma's cooking". All the meals in our group were well received except 1 so I would say it was a good experience. The rolls were awesome!Special Features:
- We had a group of 8, and allSandyDined on 2/4/2012We had a group of 8, and all meals were good but one. A piece of prime rib too tough to eat. Our server took care of this.
- Marge and Loring Felix RestaurantLynnBDined on 1/26/2012Marge and Loring Felix Restaurant was great and so glad to see come to our neighborhood. Food and service were excellent. The Best Desserts also.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2012Service was prompt and our waitress was friendly. Onion loaf is very good. Lobster bisque lacked any hint of lobster; fried chicken lacked a crusty, crunchy exterior which is what southern fried chicken is all about, instead it had a coating that I could only describe as mediocre. My guest ordered the shrimp and grits and enjoyed the flavors of his entree, although he described his salad as bland and probably poured onto the plate from a salad bag. I must say that the desserts were awesome! The amaretto and almond chocolate cheesecake was amazing and the taramisu (sp) was light and delicious. I was so excited about visiting this new restaurant and left feeling less than satisfied.Special Features:
- Was expecting better foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2012Was expecting better food and service. Fried green tomatoes were tasteless. Fried chicken lacked flavor. Mixed veggies were so-so.
- Overall, the food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2012Overall, the food & service were good- not great,but good. Two of us had the mac& cheese- highly recommended by the waitress, and it had no taste at all. Just like boiled pasta. The manager/owner (?)who came by during dinner & asked how everything was. We told & him about the mac & cheese - showed him how dry it was. He said he'd tell the chef. Never came back- nor offered another side.On the way out, we asked if he had told the chef. He said yes, and they both had tasted it and we were indeed right! something was missing! I'm thinking the 3 cheeses!! No offer to make it right! Poor PR!! Also- waitress offered us cocktails- tried to push Grey Goose as the vodka & only told us about Happy hour 2 for 1-after one of us asked if there was a HH.
- The food lives up to the name.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/20/2012The food lives up to the name. The food is to die for and reasonably priced. Nice addition to the Ocala scene!Special Features:
- Second time we were here;Stu30Dined on 1/17/2012Second time we were here; first time was absolutely fabulous, food, service, atmosphere, everything. This time with some friends, only average except for atmosphere. This was a Tuesday night & not real busy so was somewhat surprised at the quality of service and one of the "house specialties" that I ordered was way over cooked. However, would definitely go back based on first experience.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our evening very much.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/14/2012Enjoyed our evening very much. Could find nothing wrong with anything. Felt very comfortable and relaxed. Look forward to our next visit.