754 NE 25th Avenue
Ocala, FL 34470Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 3526209255
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Loring Felix
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering to meet your specific needs!
- Entertainment: Follow us on facebook for any upcoming events and entertainment!
A word from Braised Onion
Welcome to Braised Onion where we serve "comfort food with attitude!" Chef Felix has created a menu of gourmet southern foods with his special twist. Our wonderful desserts are homemade and will tickle your taste buds! We also offer a full-service liquor, wine and beer bar with happy hour from 4:00-6:00 daily. Try out our martini specials! Whether it's a big event or quaint party, you will enjoy our fantastic food, fun and colorful, festive atmosphere!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Braised Onion - Best Restaurants in Ocala ›
Braised Onion reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (20)special occasion (19)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (15)fit for foodies (12)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (5)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- We had a reservation for 4OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013We had a reservation for 4 and ran into two friends who had already been seated. The hostess gladly moved all of us to a beautiful round table for 6 and we had a wonderful time. Food was delicious all around and Sherry gave us great service. We love being able to make a reservation and have it honored.
- Our party of four thoroughlyTheatreTechDined on 1/2/2013Our party of four thoroughly enjoyed the food and Service. Everything was very good.Special Features:
- First time. Excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/19/2012First time. Excellent dining experience. Only complaint....small child continuously looking over booth. Love children [raised 6 - 9 grandchildren] but there is a time and place. When going out to eat....like to relax without children's need for center of attention. I will definitely be coming back again frequently.Special Features:
- Not worth the tripOcalaNancDined on 12/15/2012There were 4 of us diningt. We were seated well away from the bar BUT the noise was ridiculous. The group that was playing near the bar should not have been miked. Diners were talking louder and louder just to be heard by each other so there was this din of noise; conversations were hard to hear. It was a relief when they took a break. The service was slow and the waitress more concerned about what she had done that day than getting our order placed or tending to us. My friend's martini was awful (way too much vermouth - he had asked for NONE); the prime rib was tough and two of the entrees were lukewarm. The salad was browning. The only good thing was my short ribs and my husband did like his chicken. This was our 2nd visit. No more.
- Following our daughter's graduationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/15/2012Following our daughter's graduation ceremony from UF we decided to get out of the hustle of Gainesville and head south towards home. Using Open Table we found The Braised Onion and were so pleased with everything about the meal. The service, the bar service, the food...all added to our spirit of celebration. We highly recommend it.Special Features:
- It was great!!! All four ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012It was great!!! All four of us enjoyed it and our dinners were excellent. We will be back.Special Features:
- Everything was fine. Didn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012Everything was fine. Didn't know it was buffet for the holiday. I have been here before for other occassions & just out with friendsSpecial Features:
- everything was super. spokeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012everything was super. spoke to Felix, who seemed interested, Thanksgiving Buffet was awsome, regards, Helen MillerSpecial Features:
- The Thanksgiving Day buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012The Thanksgiving Day buffet was phenomenal! Some of the food was the best we've ever had for Thanksgiving dinner (much of it was even better than our relatives' home cooking!). The turkey, ham, dressing etc were perfectly cooked, some of the best I've had in years, and the side selection was above and beyond the usual restaurant holiday buffet. All in all a great experience and we hope to bring friends and relatives next year.Special Features:
- Just good cooking. EnjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2012Just good cooking. Enjoyed our dinner, room was 3/4 filled, but quiet. Yes we will go back. Service was excellant.Special Features:
- Been to Braised Onion severalastutedinerDined on 11/8/2012Been to Braised Onion several times as a couple, foursome and neighborhood dining. Each and every time food has been of the highest quality. Especially enjoy the salmon w/hollandaise sauce. Is becoming our place to eat before the Ocala Civic Theater. Because they don't offer martinis 2 for 1 because they contain vermouth (a wine) (they say they are a 2 liquor drink), we have cocktails at home or stop at one of the many restaurants that include them in happy hour on our way to the Braised Onion.Special Features:
- Food and atmosphere were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2012Food and atmosphere were very good. Service was a little slow, especially for a Wednesday night. We will return.Special Features:
- CRH: Got Me Cravin' Some Braisin'OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/31/2012Service was pleasant. The hostess was very friendly and accommodating. Bob, the bartender/server was very professional and knowledgeable. Of course, I tried the braised onion and flatbread appetizer. It was a bit messy, but that is to be expected when eating comfort food. The Tempura Fried White Fish was hot coming out of the kitchen, but when it cooled down it was pretty tasty. The best part was the apple pie. You can definitely tell that it is homemade. It wasn't oversweetened or overspiced. It was perfect. You could really taste the apples, and with the pecans, mmm. They were telling me about their happy hour from 4-7, and it sounded interesting, especially with the bar set-up that they have. But I had to get back on the road. Thanks.Special Features:
- This was a great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012This was a great experience. A great find. Have already recommended it to friends and neighbors.Special Features:
- Never too late for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2012We arrived a little late however they had a table ready for us right away. The server was excellent. He knew his wines and his menu very well. He was very friendly and sociable. I will go back there again and will bring friends with me. Ocala is doing well to have such eating establishments.Special Features:
- Chef Felix has a hit....HonestDinerDined on 10/12/2012Food was excellent. Meat loaf delicious, Lemon chicken perfectly prepared. Pot pie crust flaky and generous portion. Mahi Mahi portion was a little small, but delicious. Would rather not have the mustard sauce on it. Mac n cheese fabulous, green beans tasty. Lobster bisque ok, nothing special would not have again. Rolls hot and butter soft. Yum...overall great. Decor is nice. So tastefully done. Service was great. Prices are middle of the road. Such a nice change from the "chains". Love the neighborhood feel and that a chef prepared the meals.Special Features:
- We spent out 32nd AnnivarsyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012We spent out 32nd Annivarsy with friends at the Braised Onion and found it to be the right choice for our special night. Another note is it was the first time for all of us but will not be the last. We appreciate good food, service and a friendly place to eat. Thank youSpecial Features:
- This is the third time we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012This is the third time we've been to the Braised Onion. One of Ocala's Best! Always enjoyed our food selections. Great service, very reasonable prices for the quality of food. What we love the most about this place is the menu variety. It's a one page entree menu but the selections are all unique to their own style and flavor. You definitely can't get bored or tired of this menu. We're very thankful that Felix decided to open this great place.Special Features:
- The food was excellent. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2012The food was excellent. My girlfriend and I had 2 different types of fish cooked as ordered. The onion loaf was outstanding, and was so large took some home. Salad's excellent and different. Dessert was not ordered, as too much food already, but the list of them sounded really great. Will do that separate another time. The waiter Jeremy was upbeat and just fantastic in every way. We had the best meal in a long time. Thanks.Special Features:
- This has become my our "favorite"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012This has become my our "favorite" restaurant and especially our "favored" place to take friends. We took friends there Sat evening - was their first time - and they are still raving about it. Can't wait to go again and highly recommend it!!!
- Dining Group's Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2012A group of eight who will dine together for the next 4 months chose Braised Onion based on past experience of some of the diners. Chef Felix did not disappoint. Favorites of the evening were prime rib and a specialty dish, salmon oscar. Wine list is not extensive, but adequate. Desserts were creative, including a prize-winning Princess Diana bread pudding. Overall, a memorable evening. Service could have been a tad snappier.Special Features:
- I was overall dissapointed,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012I was overall dissapointed, as it was very average. Food was ok,service was rushed and it was noisy and loud.
- Good food cooked well!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2012This is a great little place for good homestyle food cooked well. Chef Felix definitely deserves the Culinary Combat Champion title! We had the braised onion flat bread for an appetizer which was different but good; we also had the filet mignon & the grilled salmon. Both were prepared to perfection. Our server was great and I'm sure we'll be back again soon.Special Features:
- Prime Rib HappyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2012The Prime Rib was the best that I have had anywhere. The decor is pleasent and the restaurant is quiet enough to share conversation. The service was exellent.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2012We raved about the restaurants to friends and brought three couples with us. We were embarrassed . The prime rib was tough and chewy, The pot pies were so so- Maybe the chef was off that Sat. Night. This was our third trip within six months to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Do not be deterred by theirOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2012Do not be deterred by their slogan, "Comfort food with attitude." This is not Grandma's comfort food. Everythng we have had there has been delightful, imaginative and delicious. Recently I was served fresh, wild Columbia River salmon, perfectly prepared, with a sweet potato lasagna. My husband had meat loaf and loved it. The service was very good, even though the restaurant was nearly full, and the food arrived in a very reasonable of amount of time. We recommend this restaurant with no hesitation.Special Features:
- Chicken Fried Delight!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2012The restaurant was beautiful - rich colors - artsy decor. The rolls they brought to the table were toasty and warm and yummy! The chicken fried Filet Mignon was indescribably delicious!!! Loved the mashed potatoes and mac-n-cheese. My husband had the New York Strip. It was a little overkill with the aus ju sauce. So much so that his side dishes were soupy. It was our first visit - but we will definitely be back.
- If we pay for a great mealLynnBDined on 6/30/2012If we pay for a great meal & tip well, I think restaurant staff should box our food and not plop down the containers for us & then I have to asked for a bag too. Very in professional.Special Features:
- Coming from a tourist areaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2012Coming from a tourist area where culinary competition between restaurants rewarded locals with a 5 star menu on every corner, I have been sadly disapointed with the mediocre offerings in Ocala. Not so with Braised Onion! Chef Felix never dissapoints and his menu is melt in your mouth fabulous! Margie is on the spot to welcome and accomodate guests. So glad to have them back, I will be a regular at Braised Onion for sure.Special Features:
- Food every bit as good asTellItLikeItIsGuyDined on 6/20/2012Food every bit as good as any 5 star restaurant but at prices of a 3 star.Special Features:
- I took my husband to the BraisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2012I took my husband to the Braised Onion for lunch on Fathers Day. Our service dog loves the kids menu and my husband was very pleased. To the hostess, server and chef, I thank you for a wonderful time. Everything was excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- This was our first time toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/9/2012This was our first time to visit the Braised Onion. The food was very good. Ambience was nice and quiet. We will return again....
- The menu was diverse and theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2012The menu was diverse and the food we ordered was great - cooked exactly as we requested it and very tasty. It is a nice atmosphere. The tables aren't too close together so even when it's crowded it doesn't feel like it.Special Features:
- Food and service awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2012Due to my fiancé's work schedule, we rarely get a chance to go out to dinner. We chose Braised Onion for our night out and was extremely well pleased with everything. The food was delicious. I had the filet mignon and he had shrimp on top of cheese grits. The server was outstanding and he promptly handled all our requests. I would recommend Braised Onion to family and friends and will be a repeat customer for sure.Special Features:
- As always, food and serviceastutedinerDined on 5/31/2012As always, food and service were very good. Noise level was loud at times but it always quiets down when food is served. Still don't understand not including martinis and manhattans in happy hour bercause they say it's a two liquor drink. Last I looked vermouth (and a small amount of that) is a wine. Every other place we dine has either half price drinks or 2 for 1 happy hours and those drinks are included. We always enjoy our dinners there; we just have our cocktails at home before we dine.Special Features:
- Service and food was muchTriciaDined on 5/26/2012Service and food was much better this trip. Enjoyed it....
- Buffet was very good withetingoutDined on 5/13/2012Buffet was very good with lots of choices. Quality of food was excellent.Special Features:
- We are regulars at this restaurant.TriciaDined on 5/12/2012We are regulars at this restaurant. However, Service has been poor. No water, no bread, mix up on everything. wrong meals served. We decided to try one more time.....then I will contact management again. We ordered filet got fried country filet. manager told us they do not serve Filet mignon. My husband always orders the filet....It is on the menu...that is why we order it......We really want them to do well, but the last 4 times have been less than pleasant.....
- Excellent food. We love thisLynnBDined on 5/4/2012Excellent food. We love this new hotspot. We try different dishes everything and this is our 5th time. Love itSpecial Features:
- We ate lunch at The BraisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2012We ate lunch at The Braised Onion this past Sunday. We both had the same entree, the chicken with gravy and mashed potatoes. One of us had the mixed vegetables and one had the stringbeans option. We also had the French onion soup and shared the trifle for dessert. All was very good. Because it is quite a distance from where we live, we don't think we will be returning often, however we would very much encourage those who don't have to travel far to definitely plan to eat there. We were surprised at the lovely bar and the selection of drinks and the choice of sitting in that area or as we did in the further dining room. We thought our hostess a bit under pressure to cover a broader area, but she was very pleasant. Prices are good.Special Features: