754 NE 25th Avenue
Ocala, FL 34470Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 3526209255
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Loring Felix
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering to meet your specific needs!
- Entertainment: Follow us on facebook for any upcoming events and entertainment!
A word from Braised Onion
Welcome to Braised Onion where we serve "comfort food with attitude!" Chef Felix has created a menu of gourmet southern foods with his special twist. Our wonderful desserts are homemade and will tickle your taste buds! We also offer a full-service liquor, wine and beer bar with happy hour from 4:00-6:00 daily. Try out our martini specials! Whether it's a big event or quaint party, you will enjoy our fantastic food, fun and colorful, festive atmosphere!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Braised Onion - Best Restaurants in Ocala ›
Braised Onion reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (14)fit for foodies (13)romantic (10)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Food ColdAnneDined on 10/18/2014Our food was cold when it came out. It tasted good though. Took over 1 hour to get the food. Waiter did not visit often. Took forever to get our check.
- Nice restaurantDG0215Dined on 10/16/2014Food was great, a little too noisy for a romantic dinner. Wide selection of entrees, nice wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!skyguyDined on 10/16/2014We heard of the "Braised Onion", but had not made the trip to the north side of Ocala to try it. Fortunately, we attended a meeting there and were extremely pleased of the food served. We told our friends about the place and made plans to go as a group. The food was perfect. We enjoyed the Cajun shrimp appetizer, prime rib, 3 cheese mac & cheese, braised onion side, baked potato, and green beans. It was far better than anything we expected. We were there for "Happy hour" and the drinks were great and the glasses full. We will be back soon! This was well worth the extra few miles to drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NikkiDined on 10/12/2014The food was excellent. The service made me uncomfortable he seemed to rush us, they did not need the table as it was 6 PM on a Sunday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Andrea4West4dineDined on 10/9/2014We enjoyed a lovely meal with friends. We were able to enjoy conversation throughout our meal. The wait staff was pleasant, helpful and we never felt rushed. The menu had a good variety of choices. The prices are reasonable. I will definitely recommend and go back to The Braised Onion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wtooDined on 10/8/2014Too expensive. Fish was undercooked & not flaky. Was soft. My wife would not eat it all.Special Features:
- Michael325VIPDined on 10/5/2014Good value, good food, good service. You will be surprised by the quality and portion size for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheFastOneDined on 10/4/2014We've eaten at the Braised Onion four times now. Everytime that we've gone back, its been with another group of our friends. People living in and around The Villages are always looking for new places to eat. Don't think many venture up to the Ocala area. When the topic of restaurants come up, I always mentioned the Braised Onion. Most have never heard of it. Everyone we've taken there have really enjoyed their dinning experience. Great menu, great service, reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service.FoodjudgeDined on 10/1/2014Restaurant is pleasantly appointed. Food was average. Service was really bad. Waitress was dry and not friendly. Brought food and disappeared. Soup was overly salted and it was returned. Waitress did not mind this but did not offer an alternative. Her name is Sherry.
- OkayDonLDined on 9/17/2014Nice restaurant with a good full bar and an excellent musician playing jazz. Food is okay, but nothing special. Service okay, as well.
- Nice place!AdamVIPDined on 9/16/2014We were pleasantly pleased to find this gem in Ocala. The wait staff was awesome! The seafood croissant sandwich hit the spot!Special Features:
- Absolutely DeliciousTommyMVIPDined on 9/6/2014A very lucky find for us. We found it on Open Table and it looked interesting, it was much more ! Southern Comfort food is a nice catch phrase but the food was much much more. The Mahi Picatta was outstanding, the Mac & Cheese is worth driving just for that, unique, flavorful, not heavy. Best we have ever had. The Barbeque Shrimp and grits were phenomenal , perfect. Lastly the green beans had that speck a southern cooking flavor that you just don't find. We couldn't even try the dessert, too full. We will be back ( and soon)! The bonus to the meal was live music and dancing . Just a great spot !Special Features:
- Great food!MMnana23Dined on 9/5/2014I can see why this was voted Ocala's best Lobster Bisque! Oh my...so yummy. Loved the atmosphere in this place. Liked the live music with the light jazz in the background while dining. Just an overall great experience. Wonderful "date night" place for dinner. Would definitely want to go again when in the Ocala area. Lovely.Special Features:
- special everythingYummyYummyDined on 8/30/2014best appetizer I have ever had. Would go again just to lick the plate and it doesn't have to be mine (it was that good). Was visited by the own who was very excited to meet new guests and was happy to answer any questions. I love hands on places. Even the gentleman clearing our table could have been our best friend so polite with a kind smile. Just perfect. We were offered the "Special" and didn't hesitate to order it. Yummmm but, next time we will inquire as to what the cost of the "Special" is. :)Special Features:
- LoudNcw1Dined on 8/29/2014The only negative is the noise level. Unfortunately we couldn't be seated in the room on the left due to a private party.Special Features:
- A Summer evening visitTheatreTechDined on 8/23/2014The food is very, very good. On our last visit it was crowded and our server look a long time to greet us and a long time to serve us our meal. However theSpecial Features:
- AnniversaryanniversaryDined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our 33rd anniversary. We were seated between two large parties and between the jazz (which was awesome) and the noice at the two large party tables next to us we could not hear each other. I will only sit in one of the booths from here on out. The two large parties were trying to talk over the jazz which made it difficult to enjoy the jazz and not romantic at all. My husband had the country fried filet which was recommended and did not enjoy it at all. I had the seafood manicotti and it was delicious. We will definitely be back, but will only sit in a booth.Special Features:
- Even better than before.TServiceDined on 8/10/2014Every time I am in Ocala I try to have a meal at Braised Onion. I was able to take my mother with me this time. We had heard me rave about the Chicken Marsala. She was not disappointed. " The best she has ver had" she told me. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Braised onionBethanyDined on 7/30/2014Dined at the braised onion this past Wednesday with my family and what a great experience it was! I used the open table app and was promptly taken to my table in the preferred section we had asked for. Overall it was great experience and the food was really good. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REALLY GOOD FOOD!LolaFalanaDined on 7/17/2014Started off with a cosmo that was really to die for. Not too strong, not too weak. Just right. Had a Caprese salad appetizer. The best in Ocala. Nobody does a balsamic reduction the way they do. Just wish they'd have a little bit more tomato/mozzarella on the plate. For my entree, had a filet mignon, cooked to perfection and tender as can be, sauteed mixed vegetables and mashed potatoes. The vegetables were very tasty and not too soft. The mashed potatoes were, well, mashed potatoes. Didn't have room for dessert. Our server was absolutely fantastic. Service was timely, courteous and very pleasant. The noise level was a little bit high which made it difficult to hear sometimes. That's all I'd change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014We felt a little rushed by our waiter who kept hounding us to order and we were trying to have a conversation, this continued even after we were done eating and got the bill and paid it. It seemed like the girl had someplace else to go and wanted us out of the booth....not like there was a full house and people waiting to get in the door.Special Features:
- DisspointingcollieVIPDined on 7/2/2014Loved my first visit here, and couldn't wait to return, to my disappointment, the mushroom soup with I had loved, this time was just a salty corn starch broth, and not one mushroom, but they differently used the salt, didn't eat it. I order the country fried filet, again no flavor but old grease and salt, I question if the meat was a filet at all. Potatoes where good, but so white and not one lump, maybe box potatoes, green beans had what looked like ones from the week before mixed in with some fresh, but where good, and the wine....uggg all tasted turned, not sure they are storing the wines right for them all to be so vinegary. I tried 3 different types sent all back. Suggest you bring your own.Special Features:
- The following 174 reviews are from the Braised Onion reviews archive.
- great placeKSiz90Dined on 6/21/2014food was great (though the mac n cheese was a little bland), drinks were great (highly recommend the white sangria) and they had live music playing. very fun date restaurantSpecial Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedTVfoodiesDined on 6/21/2014The Braised Onion had much more ambiance than expected. The food was good and reasonably priced. Service was good and the music was at just the right volume. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great RestuarantcollieVIPDined on 6/14/2014Service was amazing, food as well the fried green tomatoes where very tasty, we enjoyed the filet, braised ribs, and cream of mushroom soup all are to rave about we will deff go back. The rolls, which starts your meal are amazing so don't fill up on them. We dont live in Ocala, this is a great find, there arnt many good restaurants that offer great food, service and an upscale environment.Special Features:
- JanetDined on 6/14/2014food was great, service by Bob was outstanding, Sat. night live music was fun. A little noisy (Talking & baby crying). Wine list by the glass was minimal,otherwise, OKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!SueHVIPDined on 6/14/2014This was my first visit to Braised Onion. Brought my parents for Father's Day celebration. Fabulous service from Joanie! Great choice of entrees...something for everyone. Dad had prime rib, Mom had filet, I had lemon chicken and my fiancé had braised beef short ribs. Everyone was happy :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place, But...Kahuna32162Dined on 6/14/2014This was our 2nd experience at Braised Onion and unfortunately not half as good as the first. Our server was slow and a bit confused (4 people at our table) 3 out of the 4 ordered the Braised Short ribs for and 3 out of 4 of us became ill later that night. I'm sure we will go back again, but not for a while.Special Features:
- A FavoriteOcalaManDined on 6/11/2014I've been here many times and will continue to return. The food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & entertainmentBAS1Dined on 6/7/2014Great food selection. Excellent house wine. Attentive competent service. Talented jazz and blues entertainer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michigan07Dined on 6/7/20141st time for my ;husband & I, enjoyed our dinner, food was very good, good portions, not rushed, was able to enjoy conversation with our friends! Our waitress was outstanding, very professional & knew her menu !! Enjoyed our evening, will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteHeidiZDined on 6/6/2014There were 6 in our group and everyone raved about their food. We all agreed we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT TOO PLEASED!!SunshineDined on 5/31/2014I wish I could say we had a good experience at your restaurant this past Saturday evening (May 31st). It was a special occasion, my birthday, and we both ordered the prime rib from the menu. Much to our disappointment we were served a very small, very thin, piece of meat with a lot of fat in it. We even told the waitress, but she did not offer to exchange the meat for a better cut. We did not pursue the issue, which we surely should have done. The portions of the vegetables were very disappointing, also. We, also, ordered the Braised Onion appetizer and received a platter of bread with a half cup of braised onion dip. Needless to say, we left still hungry. Not sure if we will ever return or recommend your restaurant at this time.
- Great FoodastutedinerDined on 5/29/2014Did not get booth as requested. Said they did not get note about a booth. First time this has happened, so we let it go. Sat at table very close to a family. Not as private as a booth. As always, food was great as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!sharingfriendship1Dined on 5/25/2014We were celebrating with friends! It was a wonderful experience! Food was superb!Special Features:
- Great FoodpastafagoliDined on 5/24/2014Had the chicken marsala wife had the Maha I dish very flavorful presentation was nice will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014An unknown gem to me. will definitely go back. 3 in party. We all had a great experience.Special Features:
- The familyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We had a nice Mother's Day buffet. Should have went a little earlier though the food was good but had been in the chaffing dishes awhile. But that was my fault not the restaurant. Service was good and attentive. Overall we had a nice family time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DinnerGingerDined on 5/11/2014I have gone to the Braised Onion several times and have been pleased with the food and service. Recently, I went on Mother's Day for their dinner buffet. It was below the standard that I'm accustomed to. The food was just so-so. When I got the bill for two people...over $70.00 (no alcohol), I was shocked. to have to pay that much for what seemed like cafeteria food. I did go there, for Thanksgiving, 2013 and thought it was delicious and not nearly as expensive. I will go back to choose from their regular menu, which I feel is much better. I don't want to deter anyone from trying the Braised Onion. I will just stick to their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day WeekendMomplus2Dined on 5/10/2014The restaurant was very busy and noisy with large groups and music in the bar, but the service was good in spite of that. The food was excellent for everyone in our party. A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.