11 South Fullerton Ave.
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.palazzonj.com/
- Phone: 9737466778
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm,
Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 1:30pm - 9:00pm,
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: John Giglio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: On and off-site catering is available.
- Private Party Facilities: Palazzo offers a fresh take on skillfully prepared Italian & world cuisine. The atmosphere is stylish and sophisticated yet warm and relaxed. Whether it be graduation, birthday party, family gathering or office function, Palazzo specializes in private parties both on and off premises.
- Private Party Contact: John or Nick 9737466778
- Entertainment: Live jazz on Friday & Saturday evenings.
A word from Palazzo Restaurant
Palazzo is an upscale Italian restaurant, using Mediterranean and carefully sourced ingredients such as octopus, whole Branzino, Ahi-tuna, Atlantic Salmon Angus beef, milk fed veal, homemade pastas and ravioli. Our delicious desserts stray from traditional Italian, but for good reason as the crème brûlée, bread pudding and tiramisu are outstanding. We also have live jazz on Fridays & Saturdays. Private parties can be accommodated on or off site.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Palazzo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)romantic (20)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (4)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014Most times I go strictly by the reviews....so I though I'd leave one here because it was a great experience. Although t seemed a little cramped at first there was plenty of room. The waiters were young and at first inattentive. But as soon as I spoke up they were tripping over themselves to accomodate. The food was excellent, ecpecially things that I've never considered before; rabbit and ostrich... The portions initially seemed small but I think that it was just becuse the plates were so relatively large. I left sated...plus the painist added an air of ambiance without it seeming stuffy or snobish. With a couple of bottles of vino and gratuity we were under $200 which is way better than a manhattan joint with a bigger tab and less quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere unrivaled in townOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/5/2014Atmosphere actually out ranks food. While the food is very good, it doesn't come up to the mark of some of out local treasures. Much is excellent and everything is good but nothing is spectacular. Reliably a good meal and lovely venue. It will do nicely always. Service good. Prices reasonable. Pleased but not wowed! Probably best for lunches. I love the home made chipsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014the food was excellent and the service was very pleasant.Special Features:
- Palazzo Never DisappointsimafanDined on 2/26/2014The softly lit, stylish decor provides a comfortable setting to sample Chef John's great menu. On a recent weeknight, the special was braised shortribs with mushroom risotto. The meat was fork tender, in an amazing sauce, the risotto a perfect foil. My friend ordered orchiette pasta with bolognese sauce, which she found delicious. We had split the winter salad, an inspired mix of baby kale, roasted beets and fennel, with gorgonzola. I have dined at Palazzo many times, including dinners, lunches, and funeral repasts, and have always been delighted with the creative selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014I was very pleased with the service at Palazzo, I ended up having two extra guests and they quickly found a new table arrangement to accommodate us. The staff was very professional and they took care of our table. Overall the food was great, we had salmon and the three musketeers special, the men in our group wanted the rib tips, but we were a little late, so that option wasn't available. They enjoyed their meals. I would recommend for a group outing for a relaxing local environment. Usually we go to the city for celebrations, but this was much more convenient. The piano playing in the background was also a great touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedIrvingDined on 2/22/2014The food is always great. Felt bad that they ran out of the short ribs but the veal was fantastic. The staff was great and attentive. As I stated in the beginning "Never Disappointing". Give Palazzo a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and Cozy ambianceGiseleDined on 2/22/2014Had really nice time, good food and perfect service... Too bad, we did not stay late to hear piano Will go back anytimeSpecial Features:
- Right around corner from WellmontCsteffDined on 2/15/2014If you are looking for a great place to grab a bite to eat before going to see a concert at the Wellmont Theater, than this is the restaurant for you. This is a traditional Italian restaurant that was not too expensive. They have wine by the bottle but you can bring your own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Valentine Love & FamilyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Service phenomenal as expected. Great mood and fantastic menu for the price. Ambiance played a important role for future diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening and mealmichaelVIPDined on 2/14/2014Palazzo continues to to serve outstanding meals with ingredients well balanced and tasty, along with a live light piano music that adds to the overall ambiance and romance to the evening.Special Features:
- Nice Choice for Valentine's DaySageKDined on 2/14/2014A very nice romantic spot that is small but utilizes the space well with great amount of tables and busy enough atmosphere so don't have to worry about others over hearing your conversation yet not overbearing where have to raise your voice to others at your table. Piano in the front center of the restaurant is a really nice touch with an elderly gentleman playing subtle yet pleasing tunes throughout the night. The four course Italian menu felt was pretty good for the price and overall atmosphere and service of the cozy yet professional spot made it well worth it. Only the first time there but overall, was glad chose it for valentine's day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunch locationKimballVIPDined on 2/12/2014The food was good. Just ordered wraps, so can't comment on the more complex dishes.The service was excellent. We were not rushed. Great place to dine and catch up with a friend. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Perfect for Special OccasionsDanoNJDined on 2/1/2014Many good restaurant options in Montclair - I want to highlight Palazzo because we have gone there many times for special occasions. The food is very good, and the service is great - from the time you walk in and are greeted by staff to the time they bring you your check. We think the piano (jazz and or other) on Friday & Saturday nights adds a certain something extra and unique. BYOB is great - we brought champagne, you might bring that extra special bottle you have been waiting to drink. Are there better places for food or ambiance - to some degree, yes on both counts - but not many combine both to the degree Palazzo does. This is not a "Home Run", but a solid triple that we have enjoyed often and look forward to going back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palazzo PerformedNorEasterDined on 1/22/2014We were looking for a nice restaurant in Montclair to meet another group traveling down from CT. I dod not want any surprises. Palazzo worked out great. The service was attentive without being overbearing and the food was very good. Very limited wine list, but you can BYO like most NJ restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableMarksVIPDined on 1/22/2014We can always rely on Palazzo for a great meal in a comfortable setting. It was a snowy evening in Montclair and I enjoyed some great comfort food with a warm dish of Penne Palazzo made only as Palazzo makes it along with a nice glass of Cianti that I brought along. A great way to spend the evening.Special Features:
- Outstanding waiter - TomJLVIDined on 1/17/2014Loved our waiter Tom. If the food was better, I'd be his new regular. Crab cake was a nice texture, but salty. Chicken was rubbery. Broccoli rabe was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant evening, delightful mealSandyBVIPDined on 1/10/2014We have been to Palazzo a few times this winter and each time we have a lovely meal. We returned last weekend for a "ladies night" out and were very pleased. The waitstaff is pleasant and attentive. Our appetizers and entrees have always been delicious. The pasta dishes never disappoint. Overall, we always have a pleasant evening at Palazzo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Findjefflaw567Dined on 1/4/2014Loved this restaurant, and definitely will return. Excellent food, service, and ambiance. We told our waiter that we had a movie to catch, and he did everything possible to get us out on time. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- So much fun!JRiordanDined on 12/28/2013A group of us went for our annual holiday dinner... I have been to Palazzo before and knew that the food was excellent...but wanted to have my friends try something new and Palazzo hit the spot! Great food and atmosphere which made our night memorable! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone that is in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious As AlwaysmontclarianVIPDined on 12/28/2013Love this restaurant...consistently performs without the hype of trendy restaurants. Beef carpaccio was excellent and hard to find in Montclair----we usually have to go into the city for it. Linguine Ala Nostra (sp.) a favorite. Service is polite and attentive without being distracting. Palazzo is hands-down my favorite for fresh Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAngelaDined on 12/26/2013I have been to this restaurant several times for good food n service. Holiday wait staff NOT very attentive unable to meet basic requests like WiFi connection n hostess rude n annoyed when she saw my 18 mth old left some pasta on the floor. This experience was NOT very kid friendly nor service oriented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If only we skipped dessertmaroonDined on 12/21/2013Dinner was great. We were with a large group and everyone was pleased with their appetizer and main course. Dessert was disappointing. The chocolate souffle was cold. Also everyone's cappuccino was cold. The waiter was gracious about replacing the cappuccinos, but it was still kind of ridiculous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient neighborhood spotHugryartistVIPDined on 12/21/2013good for before or after a movie. Food is well pre;pared and reliableI would recommend this to a friend.
- Weeknight PleasureArbeeDined on 12/4/2013Have been to Palazzo before but on a weekend when they have live music. Much quieter during the week and a good time to go with friends. The food, as always, was excellent. The service was attentive. Only caveat is to make sure you ask for the prices of the specials if they interest you. Also note that should you ask for a simple substitution in a dish, like an accompanying vegetable, it'll cost you an extra $2. Since we weren't told about it until we got the check - the manager gave us gift certificates - a generous compensation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PalazzoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/28/2013A really great BYOB. Pleasant ambiance with a piano player to entertain but not loud enough to intrude. Service could be a little better, but still adequate overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greathappydinerDined on 11/16/2013have been dining here for about 5 years - never experienced anything but great food, great service, great ambiance - one of our favorite restaurants - highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at PalazzoJudyDined on 11/13/2013I took my girfriend out for her birthday. It was important to me that she should be not merely satisfied but pleased. She liked her order, appreciated the vegetbles served with her wrap. We had red wine, which was very pleasant. We had dessert and coffee, both desserts were fine. Will return to Palazzo again.Special Features:
- Times are changingFrequestGuestDined on 11/9/2013We are frequent guests at the restaurant. We made reservations for 8:15PM. We got there on time, but were told that we would have to wait a few minutes. Finally got seated after standing around for 45 minutes. We were given an apology and told that other diners were just not leaving. Seemed to have quite a few new servers, some I felt were not that well groomed, In the past, we have had many good waiters and waitresses, but not this time. We really enjoy going here, but this visit has made us decide to try other establishments in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and fabulousAuntColDined on 11/4/2013Great service and fabulous food tucked away in a charming restaurant. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food and reallyAlanDined on 11/4/2013Really good food and really good service and a nice quiet restaurant where you can enjoy your meal and talk to your dinner companions without shouting. Second time here and still like it a lotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always dependableJTnJHDined on 11/1/2013I've eaten at Palazzo many times and this art time was the best yet, the food was delightful as was the jazz pianist playing in the background. Our wait person was attentive but bit inexperienced. Something particularly nice is that even though Palazzo has a wine bar, they don't discourage you from brining your own. Great value for a very nice and always dependable dining experience.Special Features:
- Romantic, always good Italian Gemala48Dined on 11/1/2013Took my boyfriend who lives on Upper West Side, NYC, for dinner and he really enjoyed the whole experience. The food was fabulous, top notch, the ambience great, a lovely pianist playing the whole time, great dim lighting and mood, wonderful service, just a great experience all around. I've been for lunch with friends and have found equally enjoyable and delicious, with plenty of interesting options from which to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service!RichVIPDined on 10/31/2013The food is always consistent here and the service is great! They always have great specials and the food always tastes fresh. A must visit if your in the montclair area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite go to restaurantLetseatVIPDined on 10/31/2013A friend who comes to visit me every 2 months or so I always take him to Palazzos. We both love it. Great food great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent !NAncyDined on 10/29/2013We went there on Tuesday night to celebrate my 55th Birthday. the food was absolutley delicious . We had the accorn squash soup to start, I had the duck and my friend had the swordfish with seafood rissoto special. I had carrot cake and my friend had the cream bruelle for dessert. It's BYOB also . It has glutten free options also . I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notch. We are thereRegularsVIPDined on 10/18/2013Always top notch. We are there at least twice a month.Special Features:
- Updated ItalianZiaLuciaDined on 10/18/2013Northern New Jersey is full of Italian restaurants. We were looking for something a little different but not overly adventurous or pricy. Palazzo fit the bill with lighter versions of old favorites and a clean bright atmosphere. Service was excellent and they were very concerned about making sure my meal was Gluten Free. My companion had salmon in lemon butter and capers and I had chicken marsala without the flour in the sauce. Both were delicious. Our house salad was wonderful. The wine list is limited to one California winery but the Pinot Grigio was delicious. My only quibble is that the Friday and Saturday night "jazz" turned out to be show tunes on the piano, at least early in the evening. But otherwise thoroughly enjoyable.Special Features:
- great menu well doneAlanDined on 10/17/2013I often find in going to restaurants these days that there are only 1 or 2 items on the menu that are appealing. At Palazzo I wanted to eat everything. They had the most appetizing menu but the reason I recommend it was that everything we ate was great, really well prepared and very enjoyable. I also thought that the value that we got considering the quality of the food was outstanding. I am very eager to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousness and Jazz!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2013Awesome food - although it took almost 45 minutes just to get our salads and appetizers which was an unnecessarily long time - BUT the food was actually wonderful and delicious so maybe the wait was worth it?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is something amiss?FoodieVIPDined on 10/5/2013We probably come to Palazzo twice a year. The food is great and located in a fun neighborhood. On this visit the service was terrible. We were seated on time but after that, everything went at a snails pace. It took them 15 minutes just to open the wine, another 15 minutes and 2 requests for an ice bucket, water and bread. We were there an hour before the appetizers were served and another 30 minutes before dinner was served. After waiting another 20 minutes for them to take our dessert, we decided to ask for the check instead. We were there for 3 hours So disappointing when the food is so good yet the service is so bad. If they could just manage the traffic flow better perhaps that would make the dining experiencing enjoyable again.