1410 Mt. Vernon St.
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.allaspinaphilly.com/
- Phone: 2156000017x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 1:00am
Monday - Thursday 4:30-6pm & 10:30-12am
Brunch on Sundays 10am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Kate DiPinto 2157630920x
A word from Alla Spina
Italian Gastro-Pub with 20 beers on tap and a 50 bottle beer list. Homemade sausages, baked pastas, large roasts and crudo bar selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alla Spina reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (29)great for outdoor dining (28)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (16)late-night find (13)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (8)special occasion (7)notable wine list (4)romantic (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Brunch!mmmmmVIPDined on 5/11/2014We visited Alla Spina for Mother's Day Brunch. We expected slower service due to the holiday but were pleasantly surprised at how well the restaurant handled the crowds. The beer cheese and toast, sausage gravy w/ biscuits, and the crepes were table favorites. We will definitely be visiting again!Special Features:
- Delicious, but overpricedjellyDined on 5/10/2014I really enjoyed my food. I got a rabbit lasagna, and I think I said afterward that I wanted to lick the plate and would gladly order a second plate of the same thing. This place is really overpriced though. The plates are small - I still can't figure out if they intend for you to order more than one. We spent around $100 for 2 people and were still hungry when we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!CiceVIPDined on 5/4/2014This is a really cool eclectic spot. We chose this restaurant for brunch because they had a lot of pork dishes. Definitely go with the TESTINA HASH POUTINE. It was AMAZING!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth a tripOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/1/2014It's definitely worth driving in from the suburbs to eat at Alla Spina. The beers are an education and the food is wonderful, especially if you like pork!Special Features:
- Late night biteVaneDined on 4/30/2014Very nice beer lists. Good mix between italian and local food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A missMainLineFoodieVIPDined on 4/30/2014Our group had a little bit of everything food-wise. Nothing was as great as I thought it would be, based off of reviews. However, I did enjoy the cocktails, beer, and a couple glasses of wine. The alcoholic beverages are what makes this place such an awesome bar scene. From a service aspect, our waiter Troy was short, walked away as some people were still ordering, and was unnecessarily surly. We're foodies and eat dinner out at least 3x per week and have never encountered a server with such little personality and interest in his craft. I've never had a bad experience at a Vetri restaurant, but I'm compelled to share our experience.Special Features:
- Great food! NoisyNianquaDined on 4/26/2014Very noisy --high energy place with great beer and wine and food to match. Don't miss the chocolate taco I loved the pig tails --my friends devoured the pretzels young hip crowd good value for the moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very underwhelming foodNikerjcDined on 4/26/2014Sat at the table for 15 minutes with no menus and no waitress(it was 6:00 and they weren't busy yet)Fried chicken was dry and over cooked. Sausage cheese steak was greasy and nothing special. Pretzels were good and poutine hardly had any cheese curds. Asked for a Cabernet which was then told they didn't have but would bring something out close to it. What they brought me was fruity and very light bodied. Had to send it back (which I never do). I don't know how this place gets such good reviews. Nice beer selection. I'd go back for drinks.Special Features:
- Great ServicePhillyDined on 4/20/2014We had a great time here. The food was great, the service was excellent. The only thing we were disappointed about was that they were out of our first choice for entrees--the pork shoulder for two. They told us to mention it the next time we made a reservation, and they would hold it for us! Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great beer listJJFrankDined on 4/20/2014Service by AleiciaShanti was superb. Great beer list. Fun casual place.Special Features:
- Good food, but terrible service2aimemangerDined on 4/19/2014This was our second time dining at Alla Spina and we enjoyed the food yet again. However, the service this time around was appalling. Our server had a very robotic way of speaking about the menu and she was downright rude when we had a minor complaint regarding our beer flight. She then proceeded to bring us a wrong glass of wine and leave the cost on the bill. I'm supportive of mistakes, but I cannot tolerate rudeness and annoying affect. I worked in the service industry for years (Danny Meyers restaurants) and this server's approach to service is all wrong. Honestly, it made me never want to go to Alla Spina again.Special Features:
- Alla Spina entertainsPhilafoodieVIPDined on 4/17/2014First time at Alla Spina. The variety of dishes at first seems overwhelming. The perfect waitstaff guide you through with appropriate questions and deep understanding of the dishes. We arrived early which I recommend for conversations. It gets louder and louder every hour after 5p. Taste and inventivenss get high scores. Try the lamb's neck poutine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch at Alla SpinaBaltPhillyFoodieVIPDined on 4/13/2014This is the 2nd time that we have done Alla Spina for brunch and it is as good as ever. It always surprises me that this place isn't that busy during brunch when not too far away there are 40 people standing outside of Sabrina's but hey if that means I can just stroll in and sit down then that's fine. The one thing that you must get when you go here for brunch is the Donut Misto, housemade donuts that are just way too good. This time we did the Beer Toast, the Breakfast Lasagna, and the Polentu. Everything was outstanding and cooked to perfection. The short rib in the Polentu was so so good. This was yet another great experience at Alla Spina and we will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night dinner!mrstuomDined on 4/12/2014I have been here twice, once for late brews, once for dinner. The staff appears to enjoy their job, and were very helpful and forthcoming with information about the food and the beers. Great menu, some familiar options with new twists! Affordable for a group, as we shared many appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedJohnndishon310Dined on 4/11/2014My wife and i went here after a friend told me about the place, we loved it. Try the beef fat french fries and tbe pork shoulder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge DisappointmentCardanisatorVIPDined on 4/11/2014All of us were extremely disappointed in the food. It was overpriced and the portions were ridiculous. I don’t expect to end up with two “so-called” gnocchis grossly tasting like cinnamon buns. As for appetizers, we were planning on sharing some charcuterie and cheese platters, but a couple of slices of ham and half a crumb of cheese can hardly be considered a “platter”, maybe a half-sample, at best. Our waiter was not friendly. He even walked away while we were still ordering. He hardly ever came to our table. The only reason why I give this place two stars and not one, is because of the beer selection which if great. oh wait, no, the beer selection doesn't make up for bad service and worse food. Bottom line, I will never ever go back
- Everything but the hoofOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014It was my first time here so I wanted to try a little bit of everything and I ordered six dishes and didn't realize until the plates came that I had ordered all pork dishes. Problem? Never. I ate pork cheeks, roasted bone marrow, pig tails, and a little bit of every bit of a pig in the terrine. Absolutely delicious and I have every intention of making a second trip this week. The beer taps are great and I'd like to try the Italian cocktail that they literally have on tap. Great ambiance, very energetic so I don't recommend this for a quiet romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun foodkendogDined on 4/11/2014Not the normal menu. Selections were fun and different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointed!phk1121VIPDined on 4/10/2014I was so disappointed in the service and the food. I would never go back again not would I recommend this restaurant.
- Almost greatGreyhound99Dined on 4/9/2014Great experience except for my entree. I ordered mussels & clams with sausage & was highly disappointed. The first mussel had a terrible taste & texture. It was slimy & tasted of seawater. The clams were decent but the majority of the dish was mussels, at least 1/3 of which were inedible because they never opened during cooking. I'd say I ate about 1/2 of the entree. Although I never said anything to our server I came close to sending the dish back. The dessert, appetizers, and specialty drinks were excellent. I 'd probably give Alla Spina a second try but certainly would avoid any seafood dishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We opted to sit at the barAlexBVIPDined on 4/6/2014We opted to sit at the bar instead of a table. Our bartender was friendly and talkative. The interior here is slightly industrial, but it fits the idea of the restaurant. I love that they can open the garage doors when the weather is appropriate. We ordered the bone marrow and poutine. Our bartender was awesome enough to give us some pork head with blood orange marmalade on toast, his recommendation at a a cure for a hangover. It was delicious. I'm not a huge fan of marrow, but it was a better sample than I've had in the past. The poutine is pretty darn good as well. I've been here a few times before, and I look forward to more visits in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go here if you are interestedpatioVIPDined on 4/5/2014Go here if you are interested in eating pig parts. All the food was good (didn't try the pig's tail that was "compliments of the chef"), but it wasn't worth schlepping down North Broad Street. We asked twice after the meal for the restaurant to call us a cab. They told us both times just to go to Broad Street and we would easily get a cab. After 10 minutes of trying to find an empty cab, we gave up and ordered a car on Uber. I would go back to Osteria but not Alla Spina.
- Great foodJessDined on 4/5/2014The food was really good. I got the pretzels, kale salad and the veggie burger and all of it was amazing. The service was very fast. I will go back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alla SpinaDannyDined on 3/29/2014Our first time at Alla Spina. Loved the food and will go back. However, we weren't seated until 8:41 p.m. on an 8 p.m. reservation which wasn't cool. I don't recall ever being seated so late at a Philly restaurant. But we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly - Very FoodieSufjan89VIPDined on 3/28/2014We started with some beers we hadn't tried before, and later we were seated at a couch - for dinner! Our waitress wasn't very likable, though, and used a shrill voice to talk over the noise. Service was 3 stars. There are garage style doors that open to the street, and "the game" was on during March Madness. Very cool. We ordered a bunch of weird foodie things, like proscuitto cotto (layered with a creamy sauce and shredded apple) and pig tails (they were prepared like ribs.) Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- Rich menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/21/2014Of course Alla spina has an interesting range of brews on tap, but the food is also amazing, heavy on pork and odd bits of the beast, but with lots of other choices. Despite generous portions, we cleaned our plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer and great foodJMaxDined on 3/17/2014Even though everyone else in my party goes to Alla Spina for the amazing food, I go for the excellent beer selection. The sour beer list is very nice, but there is something there for everybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2014My husband and I went for Sunday brunch last week and found the food to be excellent. The French toast was delicious, and the frittata was the best we've ever had.Special Features:
- casual fun, great food & beer listlovegoodfoodVIPDined on 3/15/2014Fun night at Alla Spina w/my husband. Crowd ranged from families to young adults, dates, groups. Boisterous atmosphere. Food was creative and delicious - celery root & pancetta salad, gnocchi w/pork cheek (more like polenta texture), & shrimp were the standouts. And the Lambic beer milkshake was unique and wonderful! Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Quiet Sunday night. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2014Quiet Sunday night. Great Beer Selection. Food was underwhelming.
- High ceilings, Modern, VibrantHappyWhenFullDined on 3/9/2014Loved the space and the donut trio! Couldn't take our eyes off the wall and ceiling murals and the cuchon with knitted booties. Our server Allison was friendly and welcoming. Looking forward to trying other items on the food menu, and the open large garage-door like windows in the Spring, Summer and Autumn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious, beer selectionJeffTrexlerVIPDined on 3/8/2014Food was delicious, beer selection was vast and it was quite noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out2dogs2catsDined on 3/8/2014The food was wonderful!. The eggplant fritti was the best eggplant I've ever had. We wound up ordering more food than we planned because everything looked so good. The fries were addictive. The beef tenderloin entree was just right. The flavors were bright and the beef was cooked perfectly. The service was terrific. I really liked that we didn't have to wait twenty minutes to pay, but they didn't make us feel rushed to leave. The atmosphere was relaxed and welcoming. I can't wait to go again and again to try everything else on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itMed2010Dined on 3/7/2014We went there on a whim and completely love it. The ambiance was great. The beer selection on tap was good. The food was absolutely delicious. Our server was awesome, she gave us really good recommendations and we truly enjoyed our food. We had the beer bread with bacon and egg and the French fries for appetizer. I had the duck pasta and my husband the pork ribs. Delicious. Loved the ambiance too. Its fun and hip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale food in a bar/casualBobBukeDined on 3/5/2014Upscale food in a bar/casual atmosphere. Great beer and wine selection. Service was spot on. Food was exceptional.Special Features:
- French toast worth eatingKeithDined on 3/2/2014I came for brunch and was surprised to find a french toast I liked. I usually prefer pancakes but their french toast sounded too good to pass up...and it was. Too often french toast is overly soggy and one dimensional but Alla Spina uses thick pieces of brioche that hold up to its delicious syrup bath. The poutine was also amazing and definitely a solid alternative if you are not looking for a sweet dish. Against my better judgement Iordered the donuts for the table as well. While they would be perfect to pair with one of the lighter entrees, I could not handle to sweet on sweet combination with the french toast (meaning i ate only 2 of the 3 donuts). Overall, the food and service were great. I'll look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacechickVIPDined on 3/1/2014Another great meal, food and service were wonderful. The gnocchi are to die for....great experience.Special Features:
- Porker HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/28/2014We had a great time. The menu certainly is pork-o-centric so if you are a pork-lover this is the place for you. Highlights included the prosciutto cotto and bone-marrow small plates, along with the house special negronis.Special Features:
- Focus on the Italian beersBeersnobDined on 2/28/2014Focus on the Italian beers and you will not be disappointed. Food is good too!Special Features:
- Off the charts !BeanoDined on 2/27/2014Best food I have had in months. Sharing is the way to go. Sit at the Chef's counter and if you are a meat eater it is heaven. Must have the stuffed eggs, carpaccio, terrine. I absolutely cannot wait to go back. Negroni's on tap! Amazing! Service was wonderful. Everyone was happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.