Punjab Indian Restaurant
485 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02474Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Punjab Indian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.punjabarlington.com/
- Phone: 7816430943
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Punjab Indian Restaurant
Since opening in 1999, Punjab restaurant has garnered rave reviews for quality and execution of our superb Indian cuisine. Only the freshest and highest quality ingredients are used to prepare it. Our staff is always friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. And you are always welcome here.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Punjab Indian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (14)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (4)romantic (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Punjab has become our newOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2012Punjab has become our new favorite Indian restaurant in the Boston area. We've been twice for Mother's Day and have enjoyed our dinners both times. The food is perfectly spiced and we haven't been disappointed. Our favorite table is near the window so you can people watch while eating. We will definitely be back next time we're in town.Special Features:
- Great Indian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/12/2012I like when there is a choice of mild, medium or hot spicy. The food and was excellent. Hostess was not very friendly that night - busy with some take out; the wait staff was good.Special Features:
- This used to be my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2012This used to be my favorite local Indian restaurant. But this last experience has me looking for alternatives. It took 40min from ordering to receiving any food, and 2 of the 3 dishes were lukewarm at best. Our waiter, like others, could be found just standing in dark corners. We were told it was 'busy', but there were many open tables, and we've been there before with crowds waiting and been served faster. The naan is still fantastic, and the food quality is good, but without being actually served the food when it is ready, or at least getting timely updates, the quality is lost.
- Great food, super slow service:DinerVIPDined on 5/12/2012Great food, super slow service: combination of kitchen and waitstaff not being able to keep up.
- Very nice mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/11/2012Very enjoyable meal with friendly service (if a little inattentive, at times). Solid Indian fare. Great that they have some South Indian dishes on the menu (e.g., Dhosa), since few Indian restaurants in the US seem toSpecial Features:
- Service was fabulous and theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2012Service was fabulous and the food terrific! Very nice atmosphere -- highly reccomendSpecial Features:
- A friend from work told meOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2012A friend from work told me this was her favorite Indian Restaurant and I was not let down. They have dosa on the menu which I have not found at many other Indian Restaurants in the area, and it was delicious. We sat in the center of the restaurant which felt like it's own little section because it had a canopy tent over it. Prices were reasonable and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- We had a great dinner beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2012We had a great dinner before we went to the Regency Theatre. Wish we had more time to enjoy the delicious meal so will plan to return.Special Features:
- Excellent selection of regionalOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/13/2012Excellent selection of regional Indian dishes, hearty sized portions that you should plan to split or take home lot's of leftovers. The only negative is that service can be quite slow with long waits between arriving and ordering, and sometimes difficult to get more drinks ordered.Special Features:
- Our Go-to restaurant in ArlingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2012Our Go-to restaurant in Arlington for Indian food. Always a good experience for us.
- We have enjoyed Punjab forOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/29/2012We have enjoyed Punjab for years, going back to before its move to its present location. The old restaurant (just two doors down) was comfortable and intimate, we loved the food but we loved the family feel as well. The new location is large and nicely decorated, the food is as good as it always was, but we miss the intimacy of the old location. Since the move, service has been spotty, maybe due to the larger staff and more frequent turnover, but the food never disappoints and Punjab continues to be at or near the top of my list for Indian cuisine in the Boston area.
- We love this place -- we alwayshappycamperDined on 3/10/2012We love this place -- we always have a great meal and friendly service when we go there. A slight negative: We finally hit one dish we weren't crazy about. A special called something like chicken sheek kabab was not great. But a special of seafood vindaloo and the regular chicken masa dosa were wonderful as usual. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes or wants to try Indian.Special Features:
- The food was incredible.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/10/2012The food was incredible. That is why we chose to take our niece there.Special Features:
- Great food, good service,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/9/2012Great food, good service, pleasant atmosphere and reasonable prices too. A dinner at Punjab is always a success!Special Features:
- Good food, disorganized service.cretepDined on 3/7/2012Food was very good. NO item disappointed, The drinks were strong, too. Service was unapologeticly disorganized. Not very many in the place, though it was a Wednesday evening.Special Features:
- We ordered very well...everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/3/2012We ordered very well...everything was delicious, from caulifower pakoras to the onion nan, to the amazing okra dish. terrific!Special Features:
- I'm so glad I live in ArlingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/1/2012I'm so glad I live in Arlington and have Punjab in my town. It really is the best Indian restaurant in/around Boston. I've been to a good amount of Indian restaurants and Punjab is hands down the best. I go about once a month. I know people from the south shore that come here for their food. The staff is always very friendly. The rack of lamb is always a favorite, they took it off their menu for some reason, but you can always ask for it.Special Features:
- The food is consistently excellentEdwardVIPDined on 2/24/2012The food is consistently excellent at Punjab. We are addicted to the garlic naan, but of course all the dishes are delicious too. The only quirk is that the waitstaff doesn't always observe when the tables are in need of service (initial ordering, getting the check, getting more bread, etc...) and can be seen in the back chatting with each other.Special Features:
- The food is consistently greatBostondiner14VIPDined on 2/10/2012The food is consistently great and the service is consistently bad! They offer a wide variety of menu options, each as good as the next. Unfortunately, each and every time we go we lament about the poor service. On our last visit 2/10, we ordered cocktails and waited over 20 minutes for 1 of our 2 drinks to arrive. When we inquired our waiter asked "are you sure it wasn't delivered?" They forgot our rice, an order of naan that came with our entree and it took 30 minutes to get our second round of drinks. To top it all off we waited an additional 25 minutes for our check. We see frequent open.table reviews about service issues; not sure why Punjab management are not responding to the feedback.
- The atmosphere was great,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/4/2012The atmosphere was great, the service was outstanding, but the food was disappointing. Maybe I'm spoiled by eating at some great Indian places (India Palace in Manchester NH is far better, and I have eaten at many great Indian restaurants in London). But, the ambience and service made up for a lot of the shortcomings of the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Service and food quality seemsdinerDined on 1/27/2012Service and food quality seems to be going downhill in this place. We used to dine there a couple of years ago fairly frequently. Punjab will not be on our list for future dining any longer.
- The food served in dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/8/2012The food served in dinner is reheated from Lunch, I ordered appetizers and main course all of them tasted stale, we couldn't finish the food ... had few bites and had to leave the rest as there was no taste. Punjab Province in india is known for tandoor dishes and dal makhani and coming from that region I know exactly what to expect. It wasn't even close to some of south indian restaurants in this area, who do a better job than Punjab. i wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for north indian food
- Indian restaurant- best in area.KevinDined on 1/5/2012Food is wonderful. Spacious booths for small group. will return!Special Features:
- Food was tasty. Waiter wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/26/2011Food was tasty. Waiter was not friendly mumbled and seemed bored. He did not act welcoming and did not notice when we needed water or plates cleared for example. The restaurant was only about 25% full so he was not busy at the time either. We sat in the center if the restaurant which seemed nice at first until we realized that the bartender was loud and we had to listen to him complain about multiple things to an unfortunate customer.
- Our favorite Indian restaurantFast10kDined on 12/17/2011Our favorite Indian restaurant in the Boston area.Special Features:
- waiter has a different calling.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/10/2011The waiter was unfriendly, impatient, not helpful when we asked just a couple of quesitons about the food. He attitude from the begininng was for more for a nightclub. I wouldn't order any lamb dishes, unpleasant taste. The rest of the food was delicious.
- Great Indian in the burbs.LexingtonscouseDined on 12/4/2011We've been to Punjab a couple of times before and have always enjoyed it. This time we took the kids and they liked it too. Great menu options and well prepared dishes (we're originally from UK - so reckon we know decent Indian). Place is roomy, so although there were a number of families there with kids, the booth arrangements and spacious settings made for a moderately quiet ambiance. The couples having dinner seemed quite happy, not at all bothered by the groups of kids. Only minor nuisance was the wait for our meal, though the staff kept us topped up with poppadoms and the usual dips. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Overall good experience. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/2/2011Overall good experience. The menu has the expected dishes, with some creative options.Special Features:
- One of the best Indian restaurants,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/30/2011One of the best Indian restaurants, always an enjoyable meal-Special Features:
- Punjab remains my favoritePcostaDined on 11/26/2011I have been going to Punjab since 2006 and it has been my favorite Restaurant ever since. Of the dozens of Indian restaurants I've been to, Punjab had the most delicious food, best wait staff, and an excellent decor. The restaurant has a great design, is spacious, and is always in tip-top condition. I disagree with some of the complaints I read in other reviews - the ambiance is lively but is far from "noisy"; and of the hundreds of times I've gone, I never had to wait long for my food - that must not occur often. Vegetarians should try the Navratan Korma, meaties the chicken tikka masala, and everyone the Pashwary naan. I strongly recommend Punjab Restaurant; everyone that I've introduce to it has gone back.Special Features:
- It Took Forever!!foodloverDined on 11/12/2011We had a very negative experience which was too bad given our last wonderful experience. We made a reservation and were seated 30 min late. That was fine because the waiting area was very comfy. Once we were seated we ordered within 5 minutes. We did not order an appetizer, we were starved, but assumed our food would be coming shortly. After 30 minutes we asked our waiter where our order was and ordered an appetizer to tide us over. An additional 30 minutes go by I knew the ordered had to have been forgotten. It was a full 70 minutes from the time we ordered and still NO FOOD! Only when our frustration led me to raise the tone of my voice did we finally see action - 10 minutes later the food arrived. HUH??
- The restaurant was too noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/5/2011The restaurant was too noisy. I could hardly hear the conversation.
- My wife and I used to liveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2011My wife and I used to live in London and eat Indian food every week. We had been searching for a good Indian restaurant near Cambridge, and most places came up short. We finally looked outside of Cambridge and went to Punjab Indian Restaurant - it has been the best Indian food so far. We also get the same things: vegetable pakoras, saag paneer, and chicken tikka masala - all of them get very close to the Indian we used to eat in London. The saag paneer has good spice without being overpowering, and they can make the chicken tikka masala as hot as you like. For now, this is our favorite Indian restaurant near the Cambridge/Boston area, and the prices are very reasonable.
- We love this restaurant!!MarKevVIPDined on 10/28/2011We love this restaurant!! The three of us shared 3 entrees & a couple of appetizers. Just the right portion & absolutely delicious tasting. Service was excellent too! Three words to describe their martinis, "Hmmm hmmm good". Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Very accommodating our baby.tracyVIPDined on 10/23/2011Very accommodating our baby. Delicious Indian staples and very nice service. We love having Punjab in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- The kabuli channa tasted overcookedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2011The kabuli channa tasted overcooked this time. I order it all the time and this was the worst it's ever been.
- Our experience at Punjab wasQualityFirstVIPDined on 10/20/2011Our experience at Punjab was a good one. The food was excellent and the service was pleasant and efficient. We visited with friends who guided us through the extensive menu and that helped immensely. The booths are spacious and the restaurant is quite attractive.Special Features:
- Amazing food and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2011Amazing food and wonderful staff. Thank you for a great night.Special Features:
- Extreme DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2011We have been to Punjab many times, but this experience was less than desirable. The restaurant was not at all busy for a Saturday night and normally that would be great, but instead our server rushed us out of there. Our appetizers came before we were able to take 2 sips of our drinks and our entrees came before we were half done with our appetizers. There was no room on the table for all of the plates and they just shoved them on the table. It made us very uncomfortable. The food did not taste good either, but the server never came to check on us. We were extremely disappointed with this visit.
- A little below their usual standardGastrographicDined on 10/1/2011Met friends for dinner at 7pm on a Saturday night. The place was packed, which is encouraging given the economy, but service was slow and harried. We waited nearly 20 minutes just to place drink orders which was fine since we had catching up to do, but not the norm for this place. Food was brought out in a timely, unrushed fashion but orders were mixed up and we couldn't get the waiter's attention at all. The lamb/lentil dish had a nice flavor but the lamb was pretty chewy. Duck special was quite spicy, good flavor, but a bit light on duck. A little surprising as we usually have great service and very good food, but these missteps won't keep us from returning to Punjab.Special Features: