Punjab Indian Restaurant
485 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02474Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Punjab Indian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.punjabarlington.com/
- Phone: 7816430943
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Punjab Indian Restaurant
Since opening in 1999, Punjab restaurant has garnered rave reviews for quality and execution of our superb Indian cuisine. Only the freshest and highest quality ingredients are used to prepare it. Our staff is always friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. And you are always welcome here.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Punjab Indian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (14)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (4)romantic (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Pakora HeavenSallDined on 7/13/2013The food was exceptional, especially the vegetable pakoras and the korma sauce. The only disappointment was the meat samosas. They were so bland that they were almost tasteless. I have been many times to this restaurant and love it.Special Features:
- good mealWantedToBeWowedVIPDined on 7/4/2013We enjoyed our meal, liked the ambiance in the center of the restaurant (they have a nice setup that is surprisingly private seeming considering the size of the restaurant). We got the veg app platter, the yellow dal meal, a chickpea meal and two lamb meals. We loved the veg options and our friends enjoyed their lamb options but said they wished they had known their options would be dry (not like stewed lamb). Service was pretty attentive. Only annoyance was that despite my making a reservation through Opentable & checking in with the front desk when I arrived, they did not check our reservation in. Luckily OT was able to work with the restaurant to resolve this so I did get my points but it was a little annoying.
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/16/2013This was the best dining experience I've had in a long time. The ambiance was wonderful, the wait staff exceptional, and the food was perfect! But the best part was how well they handled multiple food allergies (dairy, nuts, eggs, sesame seed, coconut) with knowledge and care making us feel totally comfortable while choosing from the dozen or more allergy friendly dishes. We've definitely found our new favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Local Indian FoodJulieDined on 6/9/2013Punjab boasts the best Indian food in the area. Plenty of excellent vegetarian selections as well. Even the mild has a little kick, so you can enjoy the spiciness without being overwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Punjab Arlington MAdsswithnVIPDined on 6/1/2013This restaurants is very good for an Indian restaurant in the suburbs. All curries are good.. The vegetable curries are outstanding.
- Best Indian Food in BostonCampbell1186Dined on 5/25/2013I've been going to Punjab for years and have never once been disappointed. Amazing food and spectacular service. A true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mostly bones and sauce - noJimboVIPDined on 5/20/2013mostly bones and sauce - no meat. Why do I keep trying these restaurants hoping for a meal worth the money?
- Nice placeknightsholdDined on 5/12/2013We made a reservation and our table was ready for us even though it was mother's day. The service was good and not intrusive. We ordered south indian food, which is often not on most indian restaurant menus, The food arrived quickly (15 minutes) and was very good. Quite spicy, which we expected. The further south you go, the hotter the food. Anyone not used to spicy food should ask for mild. It was a nice experience & I would go back. The menu includes all 5 cuisines of India, and it would take many visits to sample them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Restaurant in BostonKimpeDined on 5/11/2013The food is phenomenal. The service is always excellent. The decor is simple but lovely. I have an will continue to highly recommend it to anyone who likes Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service wasn't very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2013Service wasn't very attentive or trained on basics of table service, but the food more than made up for it. Best Indian food I have ever had.Special Features:
- not for gluten free but great food!lovetoeatoutVIPDined on 4/10/2013Love this place !! My only wish is that they had a starch-free option instead of rice or naan with the grills and curries. We would come more often if there was! Service amazing as always and.Special Features:
- We'll be going back for sure.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2013We'll be going back for sure. Best Indian food around!Special Features:
- The restaurant features realLocalResidentVIPDined on 3/11/2013The restaurant features real traditional Indian food, not typical buffet "stuff".Special Features:
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/9/2013I've been looking for a great Indian restaurant in the Boston area. I still haven't found it. Best dish was the aloo gobi, but the eggplant bartha and saag paneer were pale, glutinous and insipid. The garlic naan and aloo paratha were also positives but overall, I was very disappointed.Special Features:
- We had ordered the Duck BreastLexingtonVisitorVIPDined on 3/2/2013We had ordered the Duck Breast Kadahi and the duck was like leather. We talked to the manager, and he was most gracious. He took away the duck dish and had said that wasn't one of their frequently ordered dishes (now we know why) but he brought us absolutely delicious tandoori shrimp with an extra naan bread and a lentil sauce/soup. He also treated us to a Gulab Jamun for dessert. He was most accommodating and we'd return to try the food again.
- Best Indian food around!saddinerDined on 2/15/2013Everything about the restaraunt was perfect. WE had arrived and were seated right away. We were sat a a table, and asked that we be moved to a booth and the accomodated us immediately. Having in-laws that are from India, it was perfect that the food was traditional. Everything was perfect. The pricing was unbelievanly reasonable. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Valentines Day. Took my reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Valentines Day. Took my reservation just a few days prior. Was late due to traffic and they accommodated us and held our table. Food was great! Nothing on the menu was mild, but even with a mild palate it was great and we both very much enjoyed the experience. We'd definitely go again.Special Features:
- Amazing Indian food, bothOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/27/2013Amazing Indian food, both southern and northern cuisine. A family favorite, expensive but worth every dollar. This time we came with some extended family and told our waiter to bring some appetizer platters and then had her decide on lunch for 7. Amazing food, from incredible goat chops to delicious saag, 2 kinds of Paratha , vegetable dishes, sizzling chicken and pork dishes, delicious naan. A great selection and wondrous leftovers for the next day. Not a cheap restaurant, but always worth every cent. It's food you could never make yourself, unless you were Indian and an amazing chef to boot! By no means your average Indian restaurant- exceptional is the only word that begins to describe the cuisine here.Special Features:
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/26/2013Food is so good... Perfect for a cold winter night.Special Features:
- Service very poor. Took anOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2013Service very poor. Took an hour to get anything...bread (nan)...you name it. Food decent, ambiance surprisingly ok as we has a quiet table in a good spot.Special Features:
- This is my favorite IndianseadewDined on 12/31/2012This is my favorite Indian restaurant. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- Good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/31/2012The curries are delicious and they serve great naans. Desserts were disappointing though. We ordered Gulab Jamun which seemed out of a can.
- This was our second time andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/21/2012This was our second time and the service is consistently fair - forgetting to bring our food - and no apology for it.Special Features:
- My family and two other familiesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/15/2012My family and two other families went to Punjab after a Christmas concert to celebrate. Punjab is a great pick for larger groups. It has lot of space and you don't feel cramped. It also has an excellent atmosphere. Three small kids we had did fine. The food is excellent and perfect for sharing among friends. The food came promptly and the waitress was very friendly. Definitely recommend for special occassions or for a fun time out with friends.Special Features:
- Most of our curry experiencesjohnm1888Dined on 12/13/2012Most of our curry experiences have been in the very competitive Brick Lane in East London and we were looking very much looking forward to see how Punjab compared. We were not disappointed. We were greeted and seated immediately. The service was warm, friendly, professional and pretty much perfect. The food was excellent,as was the entire experience. We will definitely be back.
- Service could be better...payingDomeVIPDined on 11/13/2012Service could be better...paying more attention, being helpful, engaging, etc...Special Features:
- The menu promises a lot ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2012The menu promises a lot of "tender", but some of the meat (Chicken & Lamb) was really very hard. Otherwise nice place.
- Delicious food. Also a wideOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2012Delicious food. Also a wide range of options to cover most diners. Biryani is mild, everything else varies widely. You cannot depend on the spiciness rating that they give, or that you request. Many dishes that were requested to be mild were hotter than dishes that were requested to be hot. Service can be slow, both in taking your order and in delivering food. Very friendly staff, though. The space is lovely, from the lighting to the decor to the tent in the middle.Special Features:
- Had a great dinner with friendsTanyaDined on 10/13/2012Had a great dinner with friends for my birthday... food was delish!Special Features:
- Usually great, today BAD servicelovetoeatoutVIPDined on 9/26/2012Punjab is one of our standbys. We eat here so often that we know many waiters by name and the menu by heart. This most recent visit was a very different experience. We had a waiter, Padam as our waiter. When we told him we were ready to order he said WAIT, I will come back. Our water was refilled by another waiter. We got a different appetizer than what we ordered. He never checked in after the ap or the entree was delivered to see how it was -- both times we needed something but I had to literally wave my hands across the restaurant to get his attention. When we finished we waited almost 10 minutes for him to clear our plates. After the appetizer, he never cleared any plates and I had to put them on a windowsill to make room.Just terrible.Special Features:
- We had a great experienceBelfast10Dined on 9/22/2012We had a great experience at Punjab, the food was delicious and our server was fantastic.Special Features:
- Over several years the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2012Over several years the food has been consistently good. The location is great with public parking a within a block. Service is courteous and attentive.Special Features:
- Punjab is one of the manyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2012Punjab is one of the many Indian restaurants in the Boston/Cambridge area. However, it ranks #1 on my list. It's better then any of the Boston Indian restaurants. The food is always solid and excellent. Everyone is so nice and the wait staff are great!Special Features:
- I love this place!! The staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2012I love this place!! The staff is very friendly and the food is some of the best Indian food I have had. In my most recent visit, I went with a group of 13 people. Everything went off without a hitch and we all had a great time. Everyone should try this place!Special Features:
- We're Regulars for a ReasonlovetoeatoutVIPDined on 6/25/2012Solidly good food, always excellent service -- Punjab never fails. A favorite for us. We sometimes eat here weekly -- more than any other restaurant. They are also nice to children -- my three-year-old love Indian food because of it!Special Features:
- an off night?happycamperDined on 6/23/2012We go to Punjab quite often as we like it a lot. However, for some reason, it wasn't as good as usual. Our waiter was prompt but not particularly cheerful or helpful. The food seemed a bit dry. The dishes we asked to have spicy were not more spicy than the mild ones. I hope it was just an off night.
- Kids Declare Punjab Best RestaurantWolverineGoBlueDined on 6/16/2012Took a friend and my family to the restaurant. This included my 6 and 3 year olds ... both Indian food novices. My 3-year-old summed it up after eating a piece of chicken tikka masala, "Dad, I like this a lot." They both proceeded to eat their dinners like they eat their desserts: fast and lots. The family had a great time and the recipes at Punjab are near the top of the best I've had. The decor is THE best of any Indian restaurant I've been in. All around it was a great experience and we'll be backSpecial Features:
- The food does not live upOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 6/14/2012The food does not live up to the expectations set by previous reviews; perhaps this place is simply past its prime, or needs a new chef. The menu looks interesting but the food actually is not.
- Excellent food and great portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/27/2012Excellent food and great portions (not too much - but filling). I plan to come again on either a weekday or weekend.
- Great servicenbptgirlDined on 5/19/2012The service particularly stood out. They were friendly, informative, and attentive.