The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
7000 N. Resort Drive
Tucson, AZ 85750Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/restaurants/flying-v-bar-grill/overview
- Phone: 5206155495x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:00
Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 10:00
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 6:30, Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 6:00
Closed: Sundays & Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brandon Cathey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact General Manager, Rock Saul, for any of your catering needs at (520) 615-5495 or email@example.com or let Chef Cathey customize your next event with delicious Southwestern flair.
- Private Party Facilities: Contact manager Rock Saul, and bring all your friends to The Flying V, where they can taste a variety of Southwestern dishes, in a fun and comfortable atmosphere. For groups of 12 or more, we offer several four-course menus priced at from $48 per perosn. Chef de Cuisine Brandon Cathey and the culinary team will also customize a menu to your group tastes and budgets. In season, our picturesque outdoor patio seats 125 guests, and overlooks the 18th hole of one of two signature Tom Fazio golf courses. The restaurant is available for buy-outs and seats up to 80 guests. The Flying V has a maximum seating of 12 per table in order to make sure your dining experience is both fun and intimate. Menu prices are subject to 20% service charge and tax for parties of 6 or more.
- Private Party Contact: H.Rock Saul 5206155495x
A word from The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Our Regional Southwestern Grill with spectacular views and fresh mountain air is nestled at the base of the breathtaking Santa Catalina Mountains and was once the site of the famous Flying V Ranch. Today, the Flying V Bar & Grill and manager H. Rock Saul, offer guests sweeping canyon views, glowing sunsets and of course our famous Tableside Guacamole. Chef de Cuisine Brandon Cathey showcases his twist on traditional American cooking with Spanish & Mexican influences, while focusing on locally sourced ingredients. Favorites from the grill include ahi, a variety of steaks & his famous baby back ribs. Gather at the bar or on the patio fireside with friends to sample one of 75+ tequilas, sip one of our signature cocktails and enjoy the view.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort - Best Restaurants in Tucson ›
The Flying V at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (35)special occasion (32)romantic (25)great for outdoor dining (24)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (8)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014They were out of the creamy polenta. The carrot cake was dry and tasteless. The lamb chops were tender but flavorless. They came with a blob of garlic mashed potatoes and a some lonely looking asparagus. You couldn't see the tuna under the shaved brussel sprouts. Overall, the presentation was miserable. The table we were seated at had a glaring sun in the eyes of the guests despite a "sun shade" that didn't work. The wine? My brother had the very same bottle on his counter at home - he had gotten it at Costco. The dining room is not conducive to conversation with huge tables and intimidating settings. This was our third visit. Wouldn't go back again and (other than for the view) wouldn't recommend it, certainly not for it's food.Special Features:
- OutstandingTandem1957Dined on 4/19/2014Great service and food. The resort is a beautiful place.Special Features:
- BeautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/18/2014What beautiful views. Food is good. Service is good. The restaurant was very busy and took awhile to prepare our food, it came out of the kitchen after a little while of waiting. Need to try to be a bit faster, but the waiter handled it well. Very apologetic. Nice place to take guests from out of town!Special Features:
- Dinner at Flying VOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/15/2014The food was great. We were greeted and seated promptly, choosing to sit on the patio. It was busy, but not overrun, always having empty tables in sight. The meal started well and we had a very nice waiter. But as time went by, we got more and more different people "taking care" of us. And things were missed. It took 2 requests to get a knife in my service. Someone new delivered our plates, so didn't know who to serve which meal to. Someone else brought drinks. Someone else brought a wine list. NO ONE took the wine order, and my friend never got her drink. And where was our dedicated waiter during all this? Who knows. He only returned to give us the check.Special Features:
- Fine upscale restaurantKARLDined on 4/13/2014We have eaten at the Flying V a number of times over the years, and it keeps getting better. The food, service, and ambiance with its nice views (not something most good restaurants in Tucson offer) were wonderful on our latest visit. Quality of the food, including imaginative touches on appetizers and desserts, made this a rewarding experience. Service was friendly, informative, and efficient. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried and trueApykorisVIPDined on 4/11/2014We've eaten at "the V" for years and keep going back, knowing that the service and food will be exactly right. Once Rock, the manager gets to recognize you as a local, "everyone knows your name". Start with the table side made guacamole. I had lamb chops last night, just the way I like them.Special Features:
- excellent valueglobaleaterDined on 4/9/2014In a town not known for its food scene, The Flying V was a pleasant surprise. I woundnt consider the menu cutting edge but the ingredients were fresh and the meals delicious. Amazing patio ambience and OUTSTANDING service made this a great value.Special Features:
- Nice and courteous servers.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/3/2014Nice and courteous servers. Food brought in perfect time. Very nice restaurant manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Wedding Dinnerpeg5549Dined on 4/3/2014We thoroughly enjoyed every part of our meal - starting with the excellent choice of wines and table side guacamole. My rack of lamb was the best I have ever had and all of the entrees exceeded expectations (NY Strips and filets were perfectly cooked and delicious -as were the seared scallops). We were treated royally, enjoyed every minute, and will definitely come back (if we are ever in Tucson again).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealEatoutMoreDined on 4/2/2014We are so happy that we ate at the Flying V! The house special guacamole is a must! It is prepared right at your table and is prepared to your taste. Talk about fresh! Fabian, our waiter, is probably the best waiter we have had anywhere. Any request he fulfilled. His recommendations were excellent. The next time we reserve, we will ask for him, he is that good. As an entree, we shared the steak, which was the perfect amount for us. Very tasty and cooked to perfection. All in all, an outstanding dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brussels spouts ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2014If they can make a Brussels sprout taste worthy, come on. I had salmon-best I ever had. I'm finiky! Husband's filet, melted on your tongue. Shrimp cocktail-bam! Sauce lit you up. Waitstaff knew us by name. Two staff members looked after you. Amazing!Special Features:
- Inconsistent food preparationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/30/2014Lovely atmosphere and service. Entrees disappointing. Rack of lamb very average and pricey for quality. Duck arrived over cooked After requesting medium rare. It was graciously Replaced but ruined the tempo of the dining Experience for dinner for twoSpecial Features:
- Attentive service, exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Attentive service, except my check was added with alcoholic drinks, considering that I don't drink alcoholic beverage. The check was corrected. I checked my credit card statement, and the charges was more than the error made at the restaurant. Disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowChristyDined on 3/9/2014We were so impressed with the Flying V. It started with table side guacamole that was out of this world and stayed at that level throughout the meal. Beet salad was excellent. All our entrees were to die for. Wine list very good. Can't wait to come back to Tucson. Will stay at Loews next time for beautiful ambiance and Flying V.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentGoodtimeBPVIPDined on 3/7/2014We frequent the Flying V monthly and we are never disappointed in the creative entrees, service and the atmosphere. This certainly is a must visit, for travelers and locals alike. The service is always gracious and they take great care in pleasing our 86 year old Mother, much to her delight. This last time we had Scallop's done in a chipolte sauce that was superb. The Scallop's were the freshest I have had throughout our many oceanside tours and they were cooked to perfection. The blending of ingredients by the chef for the nightly specials is a culinary masterpiece. We will continue to go back and the sunsets with a prickly pear Margarita are legendary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun nightSharkDined on 3/1/2014Had a nice time and danced in the lounge after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FlavorsTippyDined on 3/1/2014Lovely atmosphere, excellent and friendly staff. Whether a late night snack at the bar or a dinner with friends in front of the fireplace; The Flying V never disappoints. It's a regular stop for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful surroundingsLittleVIPDined on 2/28/2014Had a very relaxing dinner with attentive staff. My husband and I both had steaks that were prepared perfectly. Caesar salad was tasteless and not fresh. Cornbread was delicious. Polenta was good and creamy. I love cauliflower but flavor was not enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was perfect. YouBJBJDined on 2/28/2014The food was perfect. You MUST have the tableside guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucson TreasureEventsonthegoVIPDined on 2/27/2014We have always loved this restaurant. When the patio opens, it become the place for views, sunsets, bad golf shots and the best guacamole this side of the rockies. The ribs are excellent - not too saucy and extremely meaty. Margaritas are not as good as mine but will do in a pinchSpecial Features:
- We impressed out of town guestsnancycgDined on 2/23/2014We impressed out of town guests with this fabulous restaurant. The service could have been a bit better this visit....a larger bill for the bar if asked. But overall a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentPatsPickVIPDined on 2/17/2014Excellent food and staff is very attentive and welcoming. Great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Over SpicedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/17/2014The service was very good--but not great. For example, it took a long time to get a wine list--did not get it until my fellow dinner received a cocktail. The food was overspiced to the point you could not tell what your were eating.
- Valetine's DayAndrewxHDined on 2/15/2014I took my girlfriend to the Flying V for a Valentine's Day dinner, having never told her where we were going because I wanted it to be a surprise. Now, I also had never been to the Flying V, so I was relying on recommendations and hoping that it would be a nice place to go for a romantic evening. I wasn't let down. We both loved going. We were a bit early so we stood outside by the water, enjoying the lights of the resort and the cool breeze and ambiance. Dinner then was delicious. We ordered the table side guacamole where they wheel a cart to your table and prepare fresh guacamole to your taste, and, for our entrées, she had the salmon and I had the beef filet. Both were delicious, packed with flavor, and expertly cooked. A great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flying V Good but not GreatGregSVIPDined on 2/15/2014Perhaps we got off on the wrong foot, but the manager who greeted us seemed stuffy and insincere. When we said we had reservations and gave him our name he indicated his hostess would be right back, if he's at the host stand why wouldn't he seat us? They gave us a nice table and then we waited and waited and waited. If only we understood that was the way the evening would go, the slow service was disappointing. We indicated that we had a sensitivity to garlic and she said everything had garlic in it. I ordered the Valentines Day 3 course special which was wonderful. My wife ordered the filet which she thoroughly enjoyed. If only we had realized that we would have to wait for everything, including the bill. We suffered later with the garlic.Special Features:
- Food was adequate, but notFinednrDined on 2/14/2014Food was adequate, but not impressive. I had a quail appetizer which was over spiced and overwhelmed the endive. The meal followed the recipient but did. to pull together. The bright spot of the meal was the desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Tucson's bestTrojanBOBDined on 2/14/2014The Flying V has a great mix of excellent food, great service, and ambiance. The patio is the best of any restaurant in Tucson. It has a view of mountains, waterfall, lake, and golf course. If you love steaks, they are aged and cooked to perfection. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Valentines DaynancycgDined on 2/14/2014Overall this was a wonderful evening. Our service was wonderful. Our table was next to a post and not very view friendly. The food had great flavors...love the table side guacamole. Our main course a little overcooked. The creme brule was cold and some of the fruit toppings had a bid of mold. But easy to overlook most issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great surpriseCLO50VIPDined on 2/13/2014We unfortunately dined at night, so we did not get the great views that were obviously associated with the area. The restaurant was vibrant, and the staff very accommodating. The toquilla selection was outrageous. (really great) The specialty drinks were incredible as well. The food was terrific. The quail and seared tuna...not to miss. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- incredible!Jengel99Dined on 2/11/2014This was one of the best meals that I have ever had! Every dish was packed with flavor. The table side guacamole is a must. I loved the ceviche , beet salad, and salmon special. it was our server Scott that made our experience so great. - highly intuitive and anticipatory of our needs, and went well above and beyond all throughout the meal. PROMOTE him! thanks for an awesome meal! I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for dinnerAZCraigVIPDined on 2/10/2014First time to visit this restaurant and based on reviews, it was a good find. They provided lots of food outside of what we ordered and everything was very well prepared. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than ever!FoodyoneVIPDined on 2/8/2014We have been dining here for years and this place is now tops! High quality ingredients, delicious preparations, great service. beautiful atmosphere, and reasonable sound level, make this a winner. The guacamole prepared table side was amazing, salads were fresh and delicious and the entrees of scallops and ahi tuna were superb! A terrific dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodJohnBVIPDined on 2/4/2014We always enjoy our visits to Flying V. We read a recommendation about it when first visiting Tucson 3 years ago and have been each time since. It is a highlight of the trip. Great Guacamole made at tableside, skillet bread, and draught beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband an I arrived atOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/4/2014My husband an I arrived at sunset and were given a window table overlooking the lake and hills, as I had requested in our reservation. Fabian provided top notch, expert service throughout the evening -- always there when we needed him but never hovering. While pricey, the table side guacamole was unique (mango was a special ingredient of the evening) and definitely worth ordering. We took advantage of Happy Hour pricing (until 7 PM during the week) when selecting Margaritas and wine. This wonderful dining experience will be tough to beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FLYING TO EXCELLENCEswwhistryDined on 1/19/2014We chose the Flying V for my wife's birthday because it has never disappointed in any way any time we have eaten there. No exception this time. The food was exceptional - all three of us had something different and all agreed on just how good the meals were. The service was perfect - a little something extra was done for the birthday thing since I had noted it ahead. The experience was another great one for us at one of the great restaurants in a city full of restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday successPhilDined on 1/2/2014Our first visit was in early January 2014 to celebrate my wife's birthday. The food was excellently prepared, served and presented. The service was top notch and the ambiance very simpatico. The complimentary birthday dessert was out of this world creme brule, both chocolate and regular. The outside view was very nice but would clearly be more spectacular during daylight hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve Dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013"We love the relaxed feel of this place - like dining at home with friends. We definitely will return. The duck was amazing and the Bibb lettuce salad was refreshing. The chocotini desert was mouth-watering. The service was well-timed and friendly, suggestion for a 12-year Rum was a big hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate at the Flying V twicemmmsteakDined on 12/31/2013Ate at the Flying V twice during our stay at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, once for their NYE special prix-fixe menu, and then again the next evening after a long hike in the canyon. Both nights the service was outstanding, as was the food. My husband had the beef tenderloin twice, and I had seabass one night and chicken the next. Everything was extremely flavorful and the beef was cooked exactly to the right temperature. They also have an excellent selection of tequilas. The ambiance is comfortable and welcoming and not too posh or snooty. My only complaint would be that the price of the prix-fixe meal was a little high, but then again, what isn't pricey on NYE?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great. Great selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/26/2013Food was great. Great selection and prices were reasonable. Service also was very attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for ChristmasDBugRenoDined on 12/25/2013We found The Flying V once we learned our original restaurant pick was having a buffet rather than open menu. Food was excellent and our server, Brian, was a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.