Old Angler's Inn
10801 MacArthur Blvd.
Potomac, MD 20854Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Old Angler's Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldanglersinn.com/
- Phone: 3012999097x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday- Sunday: 11:30pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday-Friday 5:30-9:30 pm - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: 4:30-6:30pm Tues-Friday
High Tea Tuesday-Saturday by reservation only 3:00pm to 5:00pm
Bar: Tuesday- Saturday open to 1:30 am or to last guest whichever occurs first :)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nick Palermo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Let Old Anglers cater your next event. We will make your next party, whether it is a casual affair or formal an event to remember. We offer over 50 years experience that is reflected in every aspect of what we do. Call our main number 301.299.9097 and speak with our event planner. We accommodate most any budget. If you are having a small event or a large event we will provide the intimacy that is unmatched.
- Entertainment: Happy Hour $5 drinks and food. All under the stars. Fantastic sounds....great food and drink....casual fare
- Special Events: Having a special event? No better spot in Washington then the Old Anglers Inn. 8 acres of beautiful grounds right across from the Potomac river. During the winter Old Anglers is perfect with our roaring REAL fire place and old world feel.
A word from Old Angler's Inn
A most charming dining spot, the Old Angler's Inn has been immortalized in countless Washington D.C. novels as a romantic winter getaway, sitting before the fireplace and perusing the menu. It is equally glorious in the summer when the main action moves to the incomparable terrace.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Old Angler's Inn - Best Restaurants in Potomac ›
Old Angler's Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
201 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (185)special occasion (121)romantic (116)neighborhood gem (83)scenic view (72)fit for foodies (66)great for lunch (62)great for brunch (56)good for groups (34)notable wine list (23)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)Show More
- Good ambiance, bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014The ambiance was great. The food was both expensive and not up to the expected level that we experienced in the past. We tried the pricy lamb chops, the dry burger, and the cheap (???) fried chicken. The waitress was confused and confusing about the chicken order, giving us the wrong information about the $24 and $19 chicken choices. We ordered both as per her description, white and dark, and they ended up as roased versus fried, which we didn't like (the fried part). We had better quality food at less expensive restaurant.Special Features:
- Beautiful SettingJSBGtownVIPDined on 8/3/2014Old Angler's has a new Chef at the helm and the restaurant has undergone a metamorphosis. OAI has always had been a beautiful and scenic choice, but now it's a tasty one too. We enjoyed a really lovely prix fixe brunch with fresh, high quality ingredients. Definitely a local gem to be put back into your regular rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decades of disappointmentMAMinDCDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I have tried this place on-and-off for more than 30 years, and it's so sad to have such a potentially nice place have such disappointing food. Clearly both the owner(s) and chef have no vision or taste whatsoever. It could so easily be charming with its country-feel setting, such as La Ferme in Chevy Chase or the Oregon Grille outside Baltimore. It's fine for a burger and beer—but the potential for this place with it's setting could be so much more inspired. It's simply sad.Special Features:
- Driveby007Dined on 8/2/2014We went to celebrate our anniversary...We had not been in a year or so. We sat outside and everything was perfect. Great food and service. Best oysters EVER...ANYWHERE !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014Four of us went on Saturday night the 2nd of August. Even though it was raining a bit, the umbrellas were large enough to protect us and the staff couldn't have been more gracious. Their new specialty cocktail menu is very interesting. Heirloom tomato salad was a generous portion of red and yellow tomatoes and tasted very fresh. Yellowfin tuna tartare is excellent, loved the kick from the peanut sauce. Crispy skin salmon was cooked exactly as we ordered it and the softshell crabs were also really good. We've been coming here for years and although the menu has had its ups and downs, the current chef is doing a great job and you can't beat the place for service and a lovely evening out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014I've had lunch there twice in the past two wks and found the service and food quite pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden RetreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014Once every summer we must take that beautiful drive out MacArthur Blvd to Great Falls and dine at Old Angler's. The patios and gardens are great and spacious, the service is excellent, the food is outstanding. My summer salad was one of the best salads I've ever had. It's going to be an expensive meal, but one you won't forget. So wait for a special occassion, then induge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ed123Dined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed a lovely meal outdoors and the wine list included some very good wine at reasonable prices, which we appreciated. The menu is significantly better now than in the past -- we had a difficult time deciding what to order and all of us were pleased with our selections. The servers were accommodating a wedding party so we had to wait a few extra minutes to place our initial order, but everything was smooth after that. A great place to enjoy outdoor dining!Special Features:
- It Actually Surprised Me!EnteringNicknameisSillyVIPDined on 7/25/2014We just wanted to go out on a beautiful Friday evening for outdoor dining. No special occasion, but the place surprised me. I'd dined there 30 years ago, and I didn't remember much about the food as I was searching then, as now, for ambience, of which this place has in abundance. But our two main dishes, the pork shoulder and the ribeye/short rib combo, were excellent. Both were tender and flavorful, well-presented, and the veggies were perfectly seasoned. Wines are a little pricey, and they don't allow you to bring your own, but overall the place was a great re-discovery, sort of shockingly so. Romantic and pretty into the evening. Patio dining. Service was attentive without being overbearing. We skipped dessert. Worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointednonameDined on 7/25/2014We have enjoyed Old Angler's since our first anniversary 21 years ago. This year was the most disappointing evening we've had - and we had high expectations since we'd heard about improvements. Although the inside of the restaurant looks better; and the new casual outdoor area looks great; our patio dining in what should be a fine dining experience was very bad. Firstly we were seated in an outer area which had no ambiance. Secondly the service was terrible. Food was also overall very disappointing. And then a family was seated in our "outer area" wearing t-shirts and cut off shorts. I assume it was just bad timig that we got crummy seating, which also probably impacted service.
- BethesdaDinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014We had lunch here out on the patio on a beautiful day. Service was very attentive, and food was delicious. Prices are not cheap, but it's worth an occassional splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tripchairmanDined on 7/22/2014Met friend there for Mon. lunch who was recovering from participation in a hard fought political campaign and needed R and R. Setting and service were a balm to her jangled nerves and we enjoyed excellent light selections from the menu in a restful atmosphere on a lovely day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing settingCJVADined on 7/19/2014The salmon salad was excellent. We weren't offered any bread (other tables did), which would have gone nicely with our gazpacho appetizer. Service was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than everMickeyDined on 7/17/2014The banana mousse was perfect. The tomato and mozzarella salad was great but didn't need the fennel at all. The salmon was great but could have used more peaches and peach salsa juice. In spite of my minor criticisms, this is now the best restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistence at the InnlailaDined on 7/13/2014I have been eating at Old Anglers for years. Sometimes the food is great; yesterday it was not. A rather sad little salad (with some excellent dressing). But the service was worse. Never got my iced tea, no bread ever brought to the table. Granted it was hot and they had a big party inside, but if you are going to have the pretense of a high end restaurant, good waitstaff are key. Experienced. Also, flexibility. There was a prix fixe 2-course meal, but one person in the party only wanted one course. The response should have been, "but of course you may do that" instead of "no, you gotta get both". But despite all that, I will keep going back. To sit outside on a summer afternoon with some wine and friends, the rest fades away.Special Features:
- Sunday lunch at Old Anglers InnpatioVIPDined on 7/13/2014Initially we came for Sunday lunch outside. We were seated in the from patio which we didn't realize was a formal multi course meal. We moved to the back patio where we could order a la carte. Pork nachos weren't anything special (cheese sauce from a jar) but Caesar salad with freshly grilled salmon was excellent. Champagne cocktail was very good. Almost all the outside tables are sunder umbrellas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Outdoor Dining SpotStrathcoolDined on 7/12/2014The Old Angler's Inn is one of the best places in the Washington area to dine outdoors on a fine summer's evenig. We always enjoy going there on a special occasion or to host good friends. The food is good, the service excellent, and the general ambience outstanding. On a recent evening, the restaurant was extremely crowded but we never felt rushed or inconvenienced. If a diner does not wish to sit outdoors there is pleasant space inside. We thoroughly recommend the Old Angler's Inn.Special Features:
- BravoFirstClassGuyDined on 7/12/2014Had a lovely lunch on the patio with several family members. The food was excellent and so was the service. I definitely plan to return soon for dinner.Special Features:
- btbffxOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014First time there and was hoping to sit inside as it was hot and humid that day. We were told that there was no power inside and only outdoor seating was available. Nice patio though and the menu seemed inviting. I ordered the cubano sandwich--my first--and it was really dry. The pork was overcooked; there was no juiciness/sauce/moisture to it. The bread was rock hard. Very disappointing. The waiter just said he'd tell the chef.
- AnniversarynicksimDined on 7/9/2014My love and I wanted to celebrate a special occasion. We chose Old Angler's Inn and it was terrific. She had a pork tenderloin dish while I had lamb. The chef did a superb job. We also shared a key lime dessert which was delicious. Old Angler's Inn deserves its strong reputation.Special Features:
- Love the outdoor patio hereOldTownFoodieVIPDined on 7/6/2014This place is nestled in the woods and adorable! Romantic spot with a lovely outdoor patio. Food is consistently outstanding. I only wish I could've given more stars in the service category but our server was trying too hard to up-sell us on a bunch of stuff after we already ordered two higher priced entrees, an appetizer and a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Lovely outdoor diningRicoDined on 7/5/2014Excellent brunch menu (just too much food) on a lovely shaded patioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1300caraDined on 7/3/2014I have dined here many times. The food has gotten better, but the prices still seem out of line with the cuisine. It is good but not an epicure's delight. The wait staff is always pleasant and attentive. The ambiance is very nice, especially dining on the patio in good weather. This could be enhanced substantially by using cloth in lieu of plastic to cover the tables. The seats are also very uncomfortable as there are no cushions and you sit on metal mesh chairs. Finally, most customers have taken to very casual attire, including shorts and sneakers. If you wear a coat and tie you will likely be the only person dressed in that manner-a real shame given the potential this setting offers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryJlynch0025Dined on 6/30/2014I took my wife there for our anniversary. Perfect weather for sitting outside. Food was great as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town guestsmikeDined on 6/22/2014We brought our out of town guests to the OAI. We had the most pleasant time dining outside on the patio area. We will return with other guests and just ourselves in the near future.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningfoodyDined on 6/16/2014The outdoor dining area is the prettiest in the Washington area. We went on Monday and wines are half price. I had seared salmon which was delicious. Salad was mediocre. They let us park in the parking lot earlier and we went on a long walk on the canal before dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little off on Father's dayKarenLRDined on 6/15/2014Beautifully set, and highly recommended, but a bit disappointing. We had a reservation, but had to wait over half an hour for our table. Two of the dishes we wanted were no longer available. The food was good (the bread was great -- but you have to ask for it), and our first waiter was charming. However, he disappeared and a rather scowly waiter took over. After being made to wait for our table, we were unceremoniously rushed out. Not only was the check delivered with the message that they were closing, but it was handed to my husband (I was taking him out!). That kind of sexism does not sit well with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over priced for what we gotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014the Father's day dinner was $59. It was a very limited menu and they ran out of one the desserts. The food was good but not spectacular and was definitely not workth the priceSpecial Features:
- Horrible for Father's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/15/2014We frequent Old Angler's at least 2X a year. Father's Day was a nightmare. Ran out of dishes (by 7:30pm) and service was disappointing. The staff seemed flustered. Lesson learned. Will never go during a pre-set, special event day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014The food was excellent but we barely saw our server. To be fair, it was Father's Day, so they were really busy. But we waited a long time for our drinks, and the server gave the check to my father, and gave the credit card slip to him to sign even though it was my (his daughter's) credit card he had run. If the server had at least been pleasant (a smile here and there, for example), it would have made things a lot better. Still a terrific meal, though!Special Features:
- Feeling gougedHungryJoeDined on 6/15/2014Spotted the Inn on my way to hike in Great Falls a few months back. Checked out the menu online and saw brunch $28 per person. Decided to go for Fathers Day and found the only option was a special Fathers Day menu for $59/person. We asked for kids menus for my 6 and 8 year old sons and they offered pasta or chicken fingers for $25 a plate. The food was fine and the outdoor seating is fantastic, but the price points were not at all what I was expecting based on the regular menu.Special Features:
- CappacinoEllieVIPDined on 6/14/2014Both of our decaf cappacinos were very watery in flavor. The waiter apologized and took those beverages off our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!New2TownVIPDined on 6/14/2014What a delight! The food, the wine, the service; everything was perfect. Thank you for making our night special.Special Features:
- All the right anglers!happy2eatoutVIPDined on 6/14/2014We had been on the east coast for five days and this was the best meal we had - hands down. It was fresh and delicious and the service was terrific. We had a reservation and they kept it to the time although they were remarkably busy on a beautiful summer day. Uniformly delicious!Special Features:
- Anniversary traditionTonyDined on 6/14/2014We have a special tradition/anniversary began here 20 years ago. The staff strive to continue to make it special here. Since it was Saturday on Father's Day weekend, only the brunch menu was served. We had the tuna tartare, arugula salad, lamb burger and mussels -- all fantastic. Thank you Inn for continuing our tradition, anniversary and all things special.Special Features:
- Nice menuLucyspinDined on 6/8/2014We couldn't have picked a better spot for our last dinner before setting out on our bikes on the C&O Canal Towpath. Great outdoor dining, small menu that includes locally sourced ingredients, and attentive wait staff. A lovely dinner with friends and family.Special Features:
- Delivers!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/7/2014My Wife and i went to Old Anglers In for our Anniversary on a Saturday night. We were prepared for a long wait, slow service and average food since the restaurant was so busy! We were pleasantly surprised however, the service was great (Thanks Ann!) and the food was better than i remembered. Kudos to the chef and kitchen for being able to handle such a large crowd with perfection. We will definitely be returning soon!Special Features:
- Great food, but...lovetodineDined on 6/7/2014We went with high expectations, based on previous visits. Once seated, our waitress came over after a short wait. We ordered drinks and were given menus. She wasn't very attentive and seemed to be in a rush. We ordered and the food arrived by the "runner", who couldn't take drink orders and we were ready for a second round. We waited for about 20 minutes before she came over. Again, she seemed in a rush. Luckily the food was good, which saved the evening. ( this was a birthday dinner ) All in all, good food and ambiance but poor service.Special Features:
- Wonderful!danderson1964Dined on 6/7/2014This was the first time at Old Angler's Inn. Food was terrific and the service was great. Would definitely return again!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised..Washington1Dined on 6/6/2014I live only a few blocks from Old Anglers and when I moved here I was really looking forward to spending a lot of evenings here. Unfortunately many changes were happening at the time here and I was greatly disappointed a few times. The last being about 2 years ago with a extremely rude head receptionist , bad food and wine..Went back Friday evening was delighted to see happy faces, great food and wine and very courteous service. Congratulations to a old established restaurant which deserves to be told when they are doing it right..Will return soon..Special Features: