2909 Webster St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.umamisf.com/
- Phone: 4153463431
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; bar open up to 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Sam Josi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private parties of 18-70 or more depending on your needs. We have a private room, and the added benefit of two floors where either one or both can be utilized for a private function.
- Private Party Contact: Stryker Scales, email@example.com, 4153463431
- Special Events: SUMO HOUR: 50% off all wine and special kitchen menu, 5:30pm - 7pm
A word from Umami
Umami is the new hit restaurant from the Sustainable Restaurants Team (Mamacita). Umami has been developed to highlight great dishes, traditions and drinks from across Asia. While the menu focuses on delicious and true to form Japanese and Vietnamese offerings, you will also find highlights from other countries as well. Umami takes the utmost care in preparation and the ingredients that they use, putting high quality sustainable and organic ingredients and food at the forefront of their offering. Umami has excellent seating for large parties, a private room, bar seating, and great seating for smaller parties as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Umami reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (51)hot spot (44)good for groups (38)neighborhood gem (38)vibrant bar scene (36)special occasion (33)romantic (17)late-night find (9)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- always a great meal at umamimm0817VIPDined on 8/21/2013Between the sizzling tuna starter, the sake sashimi, edamame hummus, the kari kari roll (the list goes on and on), everything is great at umami. It was our 10 year old's choice to have his birthday dinner here and our 3 kids ate 4 orders of potstickers. Waitress was outstanding this particular night as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Bad ServiceDavidDined on 8/20/2013The food was great, but do not go here if you are looking for good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many kids around and unfortunatLoveMyFoodVIPDined on 8/19/2013Too many kids around and unfortunately they were out of the wine we wanted and two dishes we wanted, which never happens and we go there a lot. So this visit was a tad disappointing. Food we did get was still delicious, though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely best sushi ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2013Everything tasted so fresh and delicious - like a party in my mouth!Special Features:
- Good slider, Ok serviceErikaVIPDined on 8/11/2013We were there right before the pahhy hour ends(6:30) so we got some appetizer 1/2 price. The service was OK, becuase drink did not come for a while then a few dishes are already on the table. THe slider was good, sushi was good. Carbonara was heavy. tempra was good.
- Delishious. Burgers great,picklesDined on 8/8/2013Delishious. Burgers great, but they do stick to your teeth. Try the cocktails at the bar - great unusual combos - the one with vodka, lime, jalapeno and I think cucumber is beyond refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Happy Hour in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/7/2013Love the $5.00 sushi rolls and 1/2 off wine until 7 pm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2013I went here with my 12 year old and he hated it. I enjoyed the lyche martini and inventive rolls, but though the fish quality to be just average. The decor was very cool and it would be a fun place to go with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- That's it?CleanyourplateVIPDined on 7/28/2013Umami was just fine -- the food was good, not over the top. The menu is small, the sushi offerings a bit limited. And while the quality of the fish was very good, it was hardly exceptional. They also had a tendency to drip ponzu or other sauces on items that would have been better without them. The service was a highlight. I don't understand why there are so many gushing reviews of this place.Special Features:
- Last serving 15min after we arrivedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2013Our reservation was at 10:00pm we had the feeling all the time they were in a hurry to take the order. We ordered and 10 min later they told us the kitchen was closing and if we wanted something else. By 1045 our bill was at the table (we didn't ask for it) and by 11 we were gone. If you are gonna do last serving so early you should let know in advance so we have no expectations of staying for a drink or eaven get to enjoy the place.Special Features:
- AmazingDiMoDined on 7/27/2013This is the 4th time I've been to Umami an ever time has been fantastic. I brought my sister and her husband here this time, they have traveled around the world and eaten sushi at meny of restraunts. They both commented as this being some of the best they have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, good service!CamilleDined on 7/22/2013The sushis were delicious and the umami burgers too. If I have to find something negative, I'll say that it was a pity the starters came after the main course. But it didn't prevent us from enjoying it :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hottest Sushi Spot in San FrannateDined on 7/18/2013Hands down the best sushi spot I have hit it the Bay area. The Sumo special sliders were off the chart, and everything else was delicious.Special Features:
- A Sushi lover's dreamErikaDined on 7/12/2013I've only been to Umami Sushi twice now, but I already love it. The ambiance is trendy with great food and drink options. My friend and I were able to grab a bottle of wine for half off (before 7 pm) at the bar with their Friday special. The rolls were amazing and the service was attentive but not overly so. Will definitely be back in the near future.Special Features:
- great sushi at umamimm0817VIPDined on 7/8/2013had a great dinner as always at umami. the sake sashimi was outstanding. the rolls were great. the kids loved the potstcikers and ramen noodles!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great venue.SushiFanDined on 7/7/2013Came here for dinner on our first night in San Francisco and Umami set the bar high for subsequent dining experiences. Prices were fair, portion sizes were more than adequate and staff were prompt and attentive. Will definitely go again next time we're in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/5/2013The food here is ok, many better sushi places in the city. They do have a good happy hour, so head there for that.
- Great and Different SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2013The food was very good and everything we tried was fresh and very tasty. Will without a doubt return.Special Features:
- AwesomeBergyDined on 6/26/2013We went at the umami for vacation and we loved so much. We recommend this place for all visitors.Special Features:
- Amazing Service and ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/11/2013My girlfriend and I visited Umami last week and for a Monday night, it was very busy. The food was spectacular. The beef tartare was incredible, as was the Ahi Poke Tacos. I also really enjoyed the spicy shoyu soup. All entrees aside, we ordered the cookie dough roll and green tea sundae as dessert. However, they were actually out of an ingredient for the cookie dough roll and a snafu with the freezer caused the green tea sundae to also be unavailable. So now, the two desserts we ordered were not available, but they brought out not two, or even three desserts, but four dessert samplers on the house! This was then followed up by the chef coming to our table with a fifth dessert to apologize. Some of the best service I have ever received!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE the sushi here. CreativeLoveMyFoodVIPDined on 6/4/2013LOVE the sushi here. Creative and tasty. Servers are prompt and friendly. My only issue is that the tables are way too close together.Special Features:
- Reputation exceeds realitySFAEVIPDined on 5/31/2013This is an ok place. Not as good as Mamacitas. Very loud, food is interesting but not great. Menu is confusing as some of the specials sound the same as the regular menu, but twice the price. Would be nice to have some brown rice offerings. Fun to go to once in a while, but not destined to be a regular neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- One of my favourite restaurantsxoxoDined on 5/30/2013One of my favourite restaurants in the area. Awesome food and pleasant service. Downside - we were there on a Thursday night and it was SO SO noisy. Trying to hold a decent conversation was challenging and we were in a corner.Special Features:
- Go Sumo!BnearCDined on 5/29/2013No question about it - Sumo Hour (5:30 - 6:30) is the bomb! The abridged menu is half off! As well as just about all their very extensive wine list!! We arrived promptly at 5:30 - and they had just the perfect table reserved for us - a corner of the banquette! We grazed through just about every offering on the Sumo Menu, each a delicacy in itself, and each presented with style and flair. Our waitress was incredibly knowledgeable about the menu, and made several suggestions, including our wine choice - 2009 Rocking K Pinot Noir! Everything was SO good, it is hard to pick a "best" - but certainly the Rock n' Roll and Kobe Beef sliders were amazing! The only problem was PARKING - use the Lombard St. garage around the corner.Special Features:
- we love umami!sffoodieVIPDined on 5/27/2013we love umami and have been going there since it's opening. we are in the neighborhood and this is our favorite japanese restaurant. we appreciate their unique menu, which often includes seasonal items. fresh, delicious, creative - love! we have also brought our child there for early dinner, and she absolutely loves the chicken on the kids menu - healthy, tasty options. bravo!Special Features:
- Underwhelmed by service...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2013Food is actually quite good...but maybe that is because we were all starving since the wait was extraordinarliy long!!
- It was deafening in there!mauigirlVIPDined on 5/24/2013The food is great. There are so many items to choose from it's fun to go with at least 4 people so you can try different items. On the other hand, we sat upstairs this time in a large booth (4 of us). The people right next to us were so loud we couldn't hear ourselves talk and had to yell at one another. We asked to be moved to the other side which they did. So if you don't want to yell all night, you might choose another restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, cool atmosphere,dopefoodDined on 5/22/2013Great food, cool atmosphere, and located in an excellent area to be a pre-going out dinner spot!Special Features:
- The Best Sushi in SFDestroyaDined on 5/17/2013Umami is by far at the top of my list for Sushi restaurants in San Francisco. I don't think I've ever had something on the menu that I didn't enjoy. The sliders and Poke tacos are a must, and I could eat their Buttercup roll all day long.Special Features:
- Really loud upstairs! ThereSFFoodieVIPDined on 5/6/2013Really loud upstairs! There was a big group in the middle that made the entire room extremely loud, to the point that you could not hear the person opposite you. Food was okay, but sushi rolls were too big and not tightly rolled enough so they fell apart easily. Burger? Now that was good! But overall...meh...what's all the fuss? Better sushi and creative Japanese food around the city and better ambiance for actually talking to the people you came with at other places.
- Food was pretty good. I feelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2013Food was pretty good. I feel like you can't really go wrong with rolls as long as the ingredients are fresh and they were. Had the hot sui roll and was pleased. The fried rice and potstickers were mediocre for someone who grew up eating Asian food. Service was pretty good. Restaurant was loud but what you'd expect for something in the Marina. Overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Not for quiet talkDaveLAVIPDined on 5/3/2013We're been twice in the past few months very good meal each time. We're a bit older than the resident demo (late 20's to mid 30's) and it is a very loud place. Lots of hard surfaces so if good food and short conversation is your choice you will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an awesome dinner withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/28/2013Had an awesome dinner with on a baby-free girly night with my Mum. We were visiting from Australia and love Japanese food. Really interesting dishes, very fresh food. Definitely try the King Crab Carbonara and the Duck Hot Pot (amazing!!). I LOVE gyoza (pot stickers) and these definitely passed the test. Will definitely come back here. :-)Special Features:
- Great spot for birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/20/2013The restaurant was very accommodating for our large group. The table was ready early and they had no problem with seating us before our entire group arrived. The sushi was inventive, especially the dessert sushi. The bartenders were attentive and cocktails yummy! Nice selection of specialty drinks.Special Features:
- The restaurant strives toDeliciousandNutritiousVIPDined on 4/20/2013The restaurant strives to cultivate an after work crowd with discounted small plates and inexpensive drinks, which seems to be working well but takes away from the dining experience. The waitress misunderstood my order of a tempera dish and assumed another sushi roll. Thus all the sushi rolls were brought at once on one plate, and the waitress was done with us. Not the dining experience we were hoping for.
- Don't waste your timeOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/19/2013We arrived for our reservation 5 minutes early and were told that our table wasn't yet ready. The hostess asked us to wait in the bar, which we did, but she quickly ran over to us to tell us that we could NOT sit at one of the bar tables unless we were ordering food. There were no seats at the bar, so we stood and waited, and waited, and waited for 25 minutes for our reserved table! Once we got to our table, my seat on the booth had food on it, and when my date sat down and pulled his chair in he got gum on his hand. It was extremely loud so conversation was difficult. The food was bad, and there were moths flying around our table. We will never go back.
- Excellence.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2013Food was incredible. Our waitress was friendly, efficient and attentive without being too much.Not a thing we had was the least bit disappointing. Quite the opposite - the food was incredible.Highly recommend the roasted kale for an appetizer, and the strawberries and cream blondie for dessert...everything between is up to you.There is so much to choose from, we'll have to come back.Special Features:
- A16 is betterOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/13/2013Despite the rave reviews, this was overall disappointing. If you happen to be in the neighborhood, late at night, this is a tolerable food option. The sushi is of middling quality, even the daily options were lackluster. Texture suggested a poor cut of fish in a number of cases. Mostly unmemorable. The non-sushi items were slightly better. The best thing we had was the kale salad, it was at least interesting and with a range of flavors. Fresh udon was overcooked, and monotonous, although with great mushrooms hidden throughout. Staff were really nice. Overall, I can't imagine going back.
- The best service ever. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013The best service ever. Food was fantastic, very reasonably priced. Busy place on a Friday, but service was exceptional.Special Features:
- Great food, good service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/3/2013Great food, good service! The nigiri was very fresh, drinks were wonderful as well!Special Features: