2909 Webster St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.umamisf.com/
- Phone: 4153463431
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; bar open up to 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Sam Josi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private parties of 18-70 or more depending on your needs. We have a private room, and the added benefit of two floors where either one or both can be utilized for a private function.
- Private Party Contact: Stryker Scales, email@example.com, 4153463431
- Special Events: SUMO HOUR: 50% off all wine and special kitchen menu, 5:30pm - 7pm
A word from Umami
Umami is the new hit restaurant from the Sustainable Restaurants Team (Mamacita). Umami has been developed to highlight great dishes, traditions and drinks from across Asia. While the menu focuses on delicious and true to form Japanese and Vietnamese offerings, you will also find highlights from other countries as well. Umami takes the utmost care in preparation and the ingredients that they use, putting high quality sustainable and organic ingredients and food at the forefront of their offering. Umami has excellent seating for large parties, a private room, bar seating, and great seating for smaller parties as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Umami reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (52)hot spot (44)neighborhood gem (39)vibrant bar scene (38)good for groups (37)special occasion (34)romantic (17)notable wine list (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Great Sushiengineertwin2Dined on 2/19/2014It was a bit of a walk from our hotel (Fairmont SF), but it was well worth the effort. Although the pricing of the sushi was a little high for what I am accustomed to ($8-$15 per roll and fewer slices per roll), it was some of the better sushi I've ever had. The fish was fresh - and creative (I don't get to eat butterfish as sushi here in Phoenix). The neighborhood is fantastically fun and we found the architecture extremely interesting. Overall, this one will make the 'must do' list for future visits to SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip JapaneseHappyguyVIPDined on 2/18/2014Great Japanese food in cow hollow with a fun bar scene and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Not A Quiet PlaceBallplayersdVIPDined on 2/16/2014Although at 49 I was easily the oldest person in the restaurant it was easily a 5 star dinner. Great sushi...loved the sliders, crab carbonara, teriyaki chicken as well. Service was attentive. Noise was at times so loud you couldn't talk...but the food made up for it.Special Features:
- Sugar heavenMGalDined on 2/11/2014I loved the sliders and sushi rolls but nothing could prepare me for the dessert that was yet to come. The cookie dough roll was the best thing. Ever! Highly recommend people go just to try that, if anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good sushi!cillaDined on 2/11/2014Came here and really enjoyed the happy hour. service was pretty good. seems like it'd be awesome to bring a group of friends here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi sushi sushiDiMoDined on 2/7/2014Found this place about a year back and all I can say it it's the best sushi in the city. I have taken numerous foodies here and every time the come back to the city this is the place they want to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best happy hour in sfsfdinerDined on 2/4/2014amazing rolls, sliders and wine at a great happy hour price!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over orderedMickyVIPDined on 2/3/2014Good food but it was sushi. Wine list severly lacking. Server pushed too much food on us even though we asked repeatledly if we were ording too much. Didn't need the extra 2 rolls. Bill was $200 (with tip) for 2 with a $46 bottle of wine. Pricey for a neighborhood sushi joint.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour Sushi!ndandreaDined on 1/22/2014My friends and I love to go here for Happy Hour - indulge a few bottles of wine and way too much Sushi!! Great go to spot!Special Features:
- All around gemSushiFanDined on 1/20/2014From the festive sake inspired cocktails to the clever desserts, this sushi has gone above and beyond your traditional roll. Had a hellokittty cocktail that tasted like fresh cucumber and strawberries, extremely refreshing. Had the edamame hummus- spectacular. Basic sushi rolls were so fresh tasted like fish caught just for our arrival. Dessert had the cookie dough roll with clever ginger candies and green tea frosting made to look like wasabi on a traditional plate. Only draw back, place was really loud. Definitely would re visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite spot!Alika1982Dined on 1/18/2014Sumo hour offered some tasty rolls and apps at great prices and we complimented the meal with a bottle of Rombauer chard for only $35 since wine was half off. We also enjoyed the steak tar tar and Midori roll on the normal menu. Deeeee-lish. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was very surprised .. theOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 1/13/2014Was very surprised .. the best sushi I've had in a long time.. I'm still thinking about the pasta with uni butter and the sliders. Will be back VERY soon..Special Features:
- Group dinemptyDined on 1/9/2014We were a group of 8 with varied dining needs, but all adventurous. Umami was very busy and quite loud on the evening we dined, but we were seated upstairs in a round booth that fit us well. The specialty cocktails were fun and good. Our server was excellent. We had her order for us mixing up raw and cooked items so we could all taste many different dishes. She did a great job with the flavors, variety and timing. I will definitely recommend Umami to my friends when traveling to SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodated our big partyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/30/2013Umami was great at accommodating our big party. The service was really fantastic. Food was good, but didn't blow me away. Had a really fun night out at Umami.I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Meets Far EastSimonsanDined on 12/29/2013Excellent Japanese cuisine with some local spiced up dishes. Liked the Kale dish very much!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greay SushiLuciaVIPDined on 12/27/2013It never dissapoints, one of the best Sushi spots in the city the happy hour has great prices the Hotsui roll is amazingSpecial Features:
- Cool placepsutowoDined on 12/26/2013Very good food. The restaurant is noisy though. The kobe sliders and the steamed bun bread pudding are the gighlight of the menu. The fresh sushi also gets honorable mentions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSmileVIPDined on 11/27/2013We love the tuna tataki and the shogun. So happy that they have our favorite Japanese beer, Echigo. The service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceoadldoDined on 11/15/2013I love coming here for happy hour. The food and service were great! We had more people than our reservation originally said and they accomidated us no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sliders Are to Die For!camilleleonDined on 11/8/2013It is so loud here you end up screaming at each other and it's annoying. But to make up for it, they have the most delicious Steam Bun Kobe Sliders and Ramen. I would eat those two items definitely again. I wasn't impressed with the sushi or the tapioca creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating and DELISH SUSHIOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/3/2013Thank you for accommodating us on a Sunday night. We came in with my dad who can't hear at loud places and you made room for us in the side booth, which was perfect! We ate only raw fish, and it was incredible. The waiter was very helpful and gave great advice on the meal as well as the sake accompaniment. A perfect dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible sushiHansDined on 11/1/2013All of the fish was so buttery soft and would melt in your mouth. Fantastic! And get the dessert rollSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- December 2013OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/23/2013The menu is looking tired and needs a refresh. The food quality has really dropped in the last two months and the flavors/taste have gone flat, but also everything is OVER salted now too. Maybe give the menu a spring refresh?Special Features:
- Sit at the sushi bar greatFoodieVIPDined on 10/10/2013Sit at the sushi bar great entertainment ,wonderfully fresh seafood absolutely delicious. Vibrant scene lots of conversations and laughter.Special Features:
- Beutiful food great serviceKirmarshDined on 10/10/2013We had a lovely meal here, all excellent. I was very impressed with kids menu, a lot of places just feed kids rubbish not here excellent food well prepared, very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came for Happy HourJaclynVIPDined on 10/7/2013Came for the happy hour menu which i recently learned about. 1/2 off bottles of vino. And many $5 sushi rolls, and half off apps to choose from. Would definitely come bacK!Special Features:
- Too noisyGeneralVIPDined on 10/4/2013Overpriced. Too loud. The food was below our expectations. We don't recommend this place for dinning.Special Features:
- Food is so fresh, presentationCATBVIPDined on 10/4/2013Food is so fresh, presentation is wonderful, service is right on queue. Best deal is to go during Happy Hours, you will be full and happy for not breaking your bank.Special Features:
- Great SushiAshleyDined on 9/29/2013We really enjoyed the food; the ceviche was good, seaweed salad was not what we expected, but still enjoyable. The sushi was great! We arrived at 6:30pm and there was light noise. We were seated upstairs by the kitchen but it was very nice and although the noise level grew we were still able to hear across the table very easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing sushiSfrench2006Dined on 9/27/2013The rolls were definitely the highlight. Wasn't a fan of the ccokie dough roll dessert although the bread pudding was awesome. A slight spin on sliders that I would call interesting. I'd stick to the sushi!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2013The only problem is trying to find a parking spot in the neighborhood; next to impossible. Take a cab. The food was great, I got there at happy hour with my daughter and was seated right away even though we waited for my husband to find a parking space for at least 30 minutes. We had some appetizers and drinks, all was very good. Our server even asked if we wanted more before the prices increased as happy hour was over in five minutes. Attentive and pleasant service, tasty asian food, different touches like asian sliders. The vegie tempura was so delicious, as well as the sushi,etc. Would go back again.Special Features:
- Solid Sushi for EntertainingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/26/2013Upper eschelon of quality sushi in the city, with the right ambiance. Other top places either lack ambiance or are an extremely limited menu tied to fish selections. This offers both the fresh fish selection as well as rolls which appeal to a broader audience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, fun restaurantfoodieSFDined on 9/23/2013I've eaten here three times in the past nine months. I try not to repeat restaurants as there are so many other restaurants I want to try but this is the best. Great drinks - I had the Lychee-san this time. Very good and does not appear to be high in alcohol. Last time I had the Hello Kitty which I also liked. The umami burgers are heaven and I'm not a burger lover. I've ordered these every time. Worth going here for the umami burgers alone. Also had the lime cured halibut and the hotsui plus the salad. I've enjoyed everything I've tried here. I don't think you can go wrong.Special Features:
- First time hereMsFoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2013The decor is very trendy, upscale Japanese which we liked. We wish the hostess had honored our request for the quietest table because the noise level was too high to converse easily. The Seaweed Salad was heavy on the mizuna with not enough seaweed. The mixed vegetable Kakiage tempura was an interesting idea, but a little soggy. The Dojo and Moko Moku rolls were outstanding. Other diners seemed to be enjoying the Kobe beef sliders which is a good option for any meat-eaters in a group. We are delighted they go out of their way to serve sustainable seafood recommended by the Monterey Aquarium seafood watch list . The prices seemed in line with most good SF sushi places and we'd definitely go back to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we wentjamesfhallDined on 9/10/2013Great decor. Friendly, knowledgable staff. Highly recommend the Umami Sliders as an appetizer... The cookie dough roll for desert was an excellent way to top of the meal. We arrived at 7:00 and had a nice quiet table. By 8:30, the place was packed and too loud -- I don't like to have to shout to be heard or cup my ear for casual conversation when I'm dining. But people were having a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Contemporary sushi placeYalekVIPDined on 9/8/2013the restaurant is beautifully decorated and tables are perfectly spaced. Each table can keep their conversation even with the background music in the restaurant. Our server is well trained. The star of the night is the fish. Most of them are outstanding. I will definite go back.Special Features:
- Love UmamiOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/2/2013We go here with our 11 and 15 year olds, who love Umami...which says a lot because we live near Japantown. We like the early-bird special, but also come later in the day. Sushi is delicious, and they make some of the best sliders in the City.Special Features:
- Expected MoreAdrianDined on 9/1/2013After a wonderful weekend in San Fransisco, we decided to have our final dinner @ Umami. Unfortunately it didn't quite live up to the reviews - inattentive server, felt like I was in a night club as the noise level was excessive. Nice atmosphere for a large group or to grab drinks, however it was a sub-par experience and I personally wouldn't return given the options in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1/2 off Wine Bottles Daily!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2013I went here for the first time the other day for happy hour with a friend and overall, we had a great time! Happy Hour is from 5:30-6:30, $5 sushi rolls and discounted appetizers (can't beat that)! Also, every day of the week, wine bottles are half off from 5:30-7:30pm. Totally awesome!Special Features:
- great placesfinDined on 8/26/2013food, service and ambience are superb. have been there many times, and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.