29 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.29newbury.com/
- Phone: 6175360290
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm (Bar till 1:00am); Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm (Bar till 1:00am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For party of 40 and plus, we can close the dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Debbie Lewis 6175360290
- Entertainment: Flat Screen TV in the bar area
A word from 29 Newbury
29 Newbury is a trendy Cafe and sophisticated restaurant. The inventive, upscale cuisine offers many options at moderate prices. 29 Newbury is definitely a romantic spot for a quiet dinner. Please note that 29 Newbury does not accept reservations for the patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
29 Newbury - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
29 Newbury reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (29)neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (8)romantic (6)great for lunch (6)scenic view (4)good for groups (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- I really did not my overallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013I really did not my overall experience at 29 Newbury. It was big let down, completely over priced. My margarita was 16.00 & serviced in scotch glass & my meal was serviced with tater tots! I don't, but with a bill over $150.00 I expected a lot more out of this place.Special Features:
- restaurant week delightjkfoodieDined on 3/28/2013Went for Restaurant Week Boston and thought it was delicious. It is a little small and it felt like we were on top of the people sitting next to us, but other than that, no complaints. The food was excellent and the staff was very friendly and attentive. Recommend it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PlainOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2013The food is decent, but not great. Most of the food seemed like something that I could make myself. The presentation of the food wasn't very impressive either. I went here for lunch for Restaurant Week with my mom and I ordered the Greek Salad and the Curry Chicken entree. The greek salad consisted of regular romaine lettuce, thickly cut cucumbers, tomato cubes, and watery-light dressing. The salad wasn't very visually appealing but tasted okay due to the dressing - however, the dressing was very watered down. The Chicken curry tasted okay, but the overall entree was a disappointment. My plate consisted of mostly plain white rice, only two dry chunks of chicken (both about 1.5" diameter), barely any curry sauce, and bland vegetables.
- We went for restaurant week.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2013We went for restaurant week. The service was slow and indifferent. The food was mediocre at best. The lasagna in particular was not good - it was many layers of pasta on top of one another and almost no filling. It was tough and came out cold. It had clearly been reheated more than once. It was barely edible. Restaurant week, or not, it should not have been served by any legitimate restaurant.
- Mediocre at bestBRBoston08Dined on 3/27/2013We were slightly disappointed. We visited during Restaurant Week specifically for the special menu. When we were seated, we weren't given the restaurant week menu and had to ask for it. There were special menus enclosed within the regular menus which the server grabbed and said they were "weeks old." I thought that for Restaurant Week they would have been a little more enthusiastic and excited about the special menu items they were offering. The menu offerings were OK and the service were fine but the food quality wasn't very good. It was mediocre at best. My friend and I remarked about how the quality there has really declined since the last time we were there. I probably will not go to 29 Newbury again based on this experience.
- 29 Newbury, better options surroundOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/24/2013Taking advantage of Restaurant Week my girlfriend and I tried somewhere new. The place was mostly empty when we got there a few minutes early. Despite the few parties present and that most of the tables are partitioned off it was very loud. I chalked this up to a very boisterous patrons but as tables slowly filled in we realized we could hear every whisper. My drink, the Appley Ever After, was pretty good but the white wine my date order had what we could only guess was dust across the top, not cool. I had the steak dish and was not allowed a vegetable substitution, I can understand why substitutions would be discouraged but I was asking for a vegetable from another dish on the RW menu. The meat was overly chewy. My advice, try elsewhere.
- Quick and simple lunch - waitressSaulDined on 3/24/2013Quick and simple lunch - waitress must have been having a bad day. Sour attitude. Food was "ok" probably won't go back.Special Features:
- We went for lunch and orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/24/2013We went for lunch and ordered from the restuarant week menu. My husband had the steak tips which were good, tasty and cooked medium rare as he had requested and seemed a very popular choice. I ordered the chicken curry and was disappointed. There was not the faintest hint of jasmine, just plain, tasteless, boiled white rice and also not a spot of toasted coconut. They had used chicken breast, which was dry and the sauce was simply made from curry powder. However, the steamed vegetables were good and not overcooked. The service was good and it was a nice place to sit. I don't know if the restaurant week menu is worse than the normal menu but I won't be going back to find out.
- We came in for brunch, thinkingFrancesDined on 3/24/2013We came in for brunch, thinking eggs and pancakes and ended up ordering from the lunch menu! Everything was wonderful!Special Features:
- A disappointing experience.TaraRVIPDined on 3/22/2013We, unfortunately, did not have a good experience at 29 Newbury with the exception of the bar when we first got there which was FABULOUS. Once we were whisked away from the bar to our table, our service was sub-par, our meals did not arrive with any rhythm to the movement of the meal, some of us sat without meals for several minutes! We were not informed of changes in the restaurant week menu where we found there were some. The food that we did get seemed to be much smaller in portions than those near us that seemed to order not from the RW menu. Additionally, many of us found our meals lacking in flavor, presentation or adequate portion. Sometimes we can excuse away some things and try a place again. Not likely this time.
- We came to 29 Newbury forValerieVIPDined on 3/22/2013We came to 29 Newbury for Restaurant Week and the food was delicious. The goat cheese bruschetta stole the night, with the sirloin coming in close second. The desserts were not the best, tasting as though they had been sitting out all day (which is likely the case given the crowds). Our server was friendly enough, but she did bring us the check after we had just asked about seeing a cocktail menu.
- Good food/service, loud environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/21/2013The food and service were both good, but the area is small and felt a bit cramped, which also led to the noise level being a bit louder than I would have preferred. I went during restaurant week and thought the overall value was good, but can't comment on the normal menu pricing. Overall a good experience.Special Features:
- i got the mushroom lasagnaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2013i got the mushroom lasagna for the restaurant week menu and it was amazing! rich, meaty mushroom flavor that stood up well to the sauce and the garlic bread had just enough garlic without being overpowering. only strange thing was i got the coconut creme brulee for dessert and it tasted like rosemary. not a bad thing necessarily, just unexpected and still quite tasty.Special Features:
- Excellent food with greatFoodieDined on 3/20/2013Excellent food with great service. Without reservation I would recommend this restauarant for Lunch or Dinner.Special Features:
- Even though I have lived inFashSerendipityVIPDined on 3/17/2013Even though I have lived in Back Bay for about 10 years I had never been here before. We took advantage of restaurant week to check it out. The restaurant itself could use some sprucing up but once the lights were dimmed it was nice. From the restaurant week menu we LOVED the fried oysters, the bruschetta and scallops these were so good. The rest was ok. Overall its nice and a good pick for restaurant week.Special Features:
- Great lunch!bakster21Dined on 3/16/2013A very pleasant lunch experience, with attentive service and well-prepared food. Can't wait to visit again!
- Had an absolutely great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/22/2013Had an absolutely great meal! Went with 5 of my friends and had the best calamari I have ever had followed by a perfectly prepared piece of salmon. The music was fun and lively and the chocolate brownie sundae I had for dessert was to die for! A must try! Will be going back soon.Special Features:
- My first time at 29 NewburyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013My first time at 29 Newbury was a very nice experience. My partner and I were celebrating our first Valentines day and I was looking for just the right place. Our dinner was excellent and the service was top notch.
- My dasughter decided at theOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/14/2013My dasughter decided at the last moment that we should go out for Valentine's night dinner - many places were, of course, booked until quite late but 29 Newbury had a table for us and it was just spectacular. It was topped off by a wedding proposal which went very well for the couple close to our table and fulfilled one of my daughter's "bucket list" goals!!Special Features:
- This is one of the only placesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012This is one of the only places we found reservations on NYE, and after going there i know exactly why. The food was pretty good, but the service was terrible! the Staff kept bumping into our tables and the water spilled everywhere, the serving staff did not care, we were given warm beers and when we asked for chilled glasses they showed up about 30 mins later. and to top it of we orders side of fries which we never received. Come to find out the 20% tip was already included in the bill, which is probably why the service was terrible. Do not go here and waste your money, soo many better places in Boston to go then this.Special Features:
- SLOW SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/31/2012FOOD WAS UNINSPIRED, SERVICE POOR WHEN THE RESTAURANT WAS NOT CROWDED.
- Early New Year's Eve dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2012Early New Year's Eve dinner was disappointing although the service was friendly and helpful. The salmon was swimming in soy sauce, which made it too salty to enjoy. The promising beet salad unfortunately disappointed as well, with one fried hunk of goat cheese sitting on top of argula with four thin slices of beet. Location made an easy walk to the Boston Common festivities. I won't return soon, however.
- This place was a solid choiceSuFrazDined on 12/8/2012This place was a solid choice for a nice evening out with friends.Special Features:
- For such a great location,FantasticVIPDined on 12/6/2012For such a great location, 29 Newbury was lacking in many ways. Disappointed. Requested salad without nuts and it came with. Lobster on salad was chewy, not great. Goat cheese salad was not good. Only three tables filled on a Thursday night, and no one at the bar.
- It was too loud and overpriced.DinerVIPDined on 12/1/2012It was too loud and overpriced. The Salmon was the most boring meal ever. Absolutely no flavor. The burger was good. Overall, it was dissapointing and I would not return.
- Food was somewhat tasteless.RBNYCVIPDined on 11/26/2012Food was somewhat tasteless. The waitress was great until we needed our check. To be fair, we were there early in the evening so it was not very noisy and few people were in the restaurant. Still does not account for the food.
- The menu is good and reasonablyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/24/2012The menu is good and reasonably priced. Everything tasted great and I would go back.Special Features:
- It seems a shame that whileOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/18/2012It seems a shame that while the bar was well attended, the restaurant was empty on the Sunday night we had supper. The food was excellent, and the service attentive. I particularly appreciated the ability to order a lighter fare as well as a complete multi-course meal. I would definitely visit again when I'm again in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- There were three of us inOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/10/2012There were three of us in town for a meeting this past weekend. We arrived on time and were quickly seated. The wine list was great and the food was very good. Our service was nice as well. Our only complaint was that there was a part of 8 seated near by who were so loud that we could barely hear each other.Special Features:
- Delicious as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012This is my favorite spot for dates and casual gatherings. The waitstaff are always so kind, and the food is superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was great!JeffDined on 11/8/2012The food and service was great! The bar tender was very personable and expressed her love for making people feel welcome.Special Features:
- This is a lovely dining spot!HappyDinerDined on 11/4/2012This is a lovely dining spot! Had early dinner on a Sunday, and the place was nearly empty. The food was excellent. The service was quick, and each course was well timed. I would definitely return to 29 Newbury.Special Features:
- Salt?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2012The food was alright but most of it lacked a bit more salt. Even the butter was bland for the bread there was no taste. the food was great the chicken parm was good, but the pasta again bland, I had to sprinkle salt on most of my foods. Overall it was good. We did go late before the kitchen closed so maybe that's why.Special Features:
- My husband and I were in theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012My husband and I were in the City to visit our son at Boston University for parents' weekend. It was difficult finding a reservation between the BU events and the Boston Regatta. Open Table made finding a reservation easy. 29 Newbury was the perfect spot. The food was delicious and it was an easy commute on the T from BU. The prices were reasonable. Oh and the dessert was to die for. Caramelized bananas with vanilla ice cream. We will definitely be back next time we visit Boston.Special Features:
- Good comfort foodBloomingtontravellerDined on 10/19/2012Two tired travellers had the meatloaf and mashed potatoes and a well-priced bottle of Rioja, which was delightful. I'd go again in a heart-beat for an early supper in the neighborhood where my friend's condo is. Ask for a table in the back or better yet a booth.Special Features:
- Good food, selfish serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2012The food was fantastic, and quick to come out. The service, while starting out attentive, quickly became the point of issue I had with 29 Newbury. It was clear the person waiting on my table (party of 2) was much more interested in the party of 8 women on the other side of the room. While this is understandable as this is a larger tip on the line, I ended up waiting until the soup was cold until I could have dipping bread and quite a while for the check. Besides this service issue (and the loud table that received more attention than me) this was a great experience.Special Features:
- Great Lunch spot on NewburyLuv2stealrecipiesVIPDined on 10/5/2012Lovely afternoon in Boston highlighted with a yummy lunch at 29 Newbury. Loved the soft shell crab... cooked perfectly..crispy and light. fish tacos were brimming with perfectly seasoned tilapia and salsa with nicely steamed tortillas. Service was attentive and unobtrusive. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- The calamari appetizer wasDianaVIPDined on 9/17/2012The calamari appetizer was great, aioli sauce with a bit of a kick and very tender calamari. We both had the lobster and crab burgers. They were HUGE, rich and filling. The plate also came with a side salad, coleslaw, a pickle and 3 sweet onion rings - my weakness. We split the fried bananas with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream - very good!Special Features:
- Was a little unsure afterWhyanameVIPDined on 9/14/2012Was a little unsure after picking the restaurant for its ourdoor seating and then realizing that there was loud construction and what appeared to be a soup kitchen trailer parked directly outside. We chose inside instead. That being said, the warm lobster salad was PHENOMENAL. I dont think I could go by and get anything else since I'm already thinking about when I can eat it again. The lobster was generous, the beans were warm and creamy, the green beans were fresh and crispy. The entire balance was amazing. I only wish the bread had looked more enticing to pair with it, but I passed since it didn't look like it could match the amazing salad.Special Features:
- We had brunch - the serverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/9/2012We had brunch - the server was very good, but the Salade Nicoise arrived without tomatoes and tuna, so had to be sent back for both. Not OK. We also had to ask for bread, which shouldn't happen. Otherwise, the food was just fine.