545 Mission St
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.salthousesf.com/
- Phone: 4155438900x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30 - 10:00pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday : 5:30 - 9:30
Happy Hour : Monday - Friday 2 - 6
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Vernon Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 1st and 2nd
- Public Transit: Montgomery Station for both Muni and Bart riders.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is an independent valet in front of the restaurant every night except Sunday. Metered street parking is available. There are also several parking garages available in the area including one right next door at 555 Mission.
A word from Salt House
Salt House Tavern - A 75-seat, contemporary tavern housed in an old printing press warehouse built in the 1930’s. Exposed brick, original hardwood floors, 12 foot windows and oversized rusted iron girders. Contemporary American fare ranging from raw bar plateaus to local cheeses, appetizers and heartier main dishes. Wines from all over the world, local beers and an extensive cocktail list. Full menu anywhere you'll sit down - at the bar, the communal table, the front window counter or in the dining room!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salt House reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (101)great for lunch (52)neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (44)hot spot (40)good for groups (33)vibrant bar scene (32)romantic (26)notable wine list (21)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Promptly and courteously seated.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2008Promptly and courteously seated. Food was great- elegantly prepared and fresh. Oysters were very good, those of us that ordered fish were very pleased. Desserts were delightful and not too rich or overbearing. Would definitely recommend and will definitely return...Special Features:
- Food & service were excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2008Food & service were excellent. My only complaint was the seating. Normally with an Open Table reservation you're given a Very Nice table. We had a 5:00o'clock, opening time & my son who arrived first was given a table right next to the service stand. He was literally the first person seated in the restaurant & he was given the worst table. I thought that was tacky. Of course, we changed tables when we arrived.Special Features:
- It was a fun place to go.la4diningDined on 4/5/2008It was a fun place to go. Not much of a waiting area or bar area to have a drink while waiting. Liked the decor - simple. Tuna appetizer was outstanding - dinner was above average. Only negative is it is noisy. Overall, would go back again.Special Features:
- Everything was going fineParticularlyParticularVIPDined on 4/5/2008Everything was going fine until we left the restaurant and realized the busboy hadn't brought us our "doggy bag." It was really a crime because I had most of my lamb shank remaining. It was a costly mistake and a reflection of poor service.Special Features:
- Service needs work. I hadLatteDined on 4/5/2008Service needs work. I had to ask for red wine glasses for the special wine (Rubicon)I brought to the restaurant to celebrate our "10-year" wedding anniversary. When I made the reservation, I stated that we were celebrating our 10-year anniversary. There was no recognition of it at all during or after dinner. The server wasn't descriptive when I asked about the menu & signature dishes. She was pretty non-existent during most of our meal. There was another server, near the end, who explained/described the desserts and made recommendations. I wish we had been taken care of by her; it would have made for a better overall dining experience. I was a bit disappointed considering the occasion.Special Features:
- Modern twist on comfort foodjeffVIPDined on 4/5/2008Modern twist on comfort food in a great, relaxing setting.Special Features:
- A lot of their fish entreesBerkeleyFoodieVIPDined on 4/5/2008A lot of their fish entrees had pork ingridients like sausage or pork belly which, if I was having an entree, would have made it difficult for me as I don't eat pork. I was able to make do with a combination of appetizers but I would recommend that they consider 1 or 2 "pure" fish entrees for customers with similar eating preferences.Special Features:
- We sat upstairs, looking downlinda94705VIPDined on 4/4/2008We sat upstairs, looking down at main dining room. Shrimp and calamari appetizers were very good as was the petrale with artichoke and meyer lemon preserve.Special Features:
- Great look. Needs more affordableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2008Great look. Needs more affordable lunch options (the $12 to $16 price point).
- A fun, lively place withOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/3/2008A fun, lively place with fine decor and good food and service. The food was fairly priced and creative. I would highly recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:
- The staff was very accomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/2/2008The staff was very accomodating when I asked to have the cheese and beef sauce for their fries placed on the side due to my milk allergy. Many restaurants / staff don't want to bother with such 'trivial' details so I greatly appreciated our servers offering to do this once he learned of my allergy. The disappointment was in the severe amount of salt used in the burger. I thought I was going to die. I actually joked they probably salted it, forgot they did so and re-salted it, and then for good measure, doused more salt on the top. I could hardly eat it! Without all the salt I think it would have been an excellent burger as it was cooked per request.
- We were disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/1/2008We were disappointed with the food given how popular it is. Appetizers were great, but the main dishes were under-seasoned.
- The starter/main course verySushigalVIPDined on 4/1/2008The starter/main course very good. The dessert (choc cake) was extremely dry; and the cookie plate was worst than pepperidge farm cookies. The last bite should be over the top--that's what people remember! Thanks for listening.
- If the service matched theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2008If the service matched the atmosphere and food, perhaps the experience we had would have been that much better. I'd like to think it was just our particular server who didn't seem to have time for our table and forgot to bring several items we ordered, and will likely try again . . .Special Features:
- Great food and service. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2008Great food and service. It would be better if the food barker was not so loud. When you sit at a table near the kitchen, it is very noticable.Special Features:
- Probably won't be going back.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/28/2008Probably won't be going back. It's good food, but quarters are cramped; it's extremely loud and don't think it's worth the hassle of eating there. Poutine is rediculously good though!Special Features:
- A loud space with little fabricOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/27/2008A loud space with little fabric to buffer or dampen the noise. A vibrant bar scene full of after work SOMA types. We arrived a bit before our reservation time and had to wait for over an hour to be seated, just working out the kinks in their seating. The server tried really hard, even bringing replacement wine when the first glass wasn't to my liking. The owner was there and comped us drinks at the bar to make up for the wait. Overall, the food was great, the service attentive, and a fun place to go with friends.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding!BlaineSVIPDined on 3/27/2008The food was outstanding! They were very friendly and were especially nice to my 6 year old who was having lunch with us. Not too many 6 year olds in San Francisco during the lunch rush! He enjoyed bites of all of our meals and ordered the poutine for himself. After lunch, they even brought him a little plate of cookies, which he really enjoyed. Terrific food, nice people and watching the kitchen at work is a great floor show!Special Features:
- Way too loud (even being upstairs).KimSpangDined on 3/26/2008Way too loud (even being upstairs). Salad was okay, nothing great, and chicken dish was fine but overpriced. It looks like a cute place for drinks, but the dining experience was lacking.Special Features:
- The Crispy Shrimp and GreenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/26/2008The Crispy Shrimp and Green Beans are a must - great to share as an appetizer.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/25/2008The food and service were great. I cant wait to go back.Special Features:
- Despite having booked a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/24/2008Despite having booked a reservation via Opentable, it took 15 minutes to be seated.
- Beautiful restaurant, butOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/24/2008Beautiful restaurant, but extremely loud. Service was very helpful and accomodating, but never in your face. The food did not completely live up to it's billing. While appetizers were exceptional, the main courses were not, although they were quite solid.Special Features:
- You'd think you were in TownOldHandVIPDined on 3/23/2008You'd think you were in Town House, Salt House's sister place around the block. Short but strong menu, pricey, convenient, parking next door.Special Features:
- We had a lovely meal thatOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/22/2008We had a lovely meal that was not at all rushed which seems to be getting harder and harder to find. I am intolerent to both gluten and lactose which can present some problems when dining out. The chef and wait person were wonderful and very accomodating. We will be back and will recommend Salt House to friends, colleagues and visitors.Special Features:
- hey–really enjoy the SaltOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/21/2008hey–really enjoy the Salt House every time. My only comment: it's real tough to bring a vegetarian (or even 'pescetarian')– as most of the veg/fish dishes seem to have meat components (that can't be left out). Would be awesome to have just a few more options...other than that–love what you're doing.Special Features:
- I'v eaten at Salt House 3OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/21/2008I'v eaten at Salt House 3 times now: twice for dinner; once for lunch. Its a great spot.Special Features:
- We were very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/20/2008We were very disappointed with our dining experience at Salt House. The service was unacceptably delayed. I think we must have waited 35-45 minutes between finishing our starters and being delivered our entrees. And on top of it, we were both disappointed with at least one item that we ordered. My salad was bland and uninteresting and my partner's scallops were unremarkable. Both entrees, after waiting so long to receive them, were already getting cold upon arrival. The servers were so overwhwhelmed (and maybe embarassed at their service) that they didn't even give us eye contact when they came to our table, nor check in with us about the delay.
- Great friendly service. LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/20/2008Great friendly service. Love the decor. A little on the too loud side but people are having a good time. Will definitely go back again and again!Special Features:
- The only dish I can rememberOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/20/2008The only dish I can remember is the poutine, so I'm just giving the food 2 stars. I would go back for the poutine and a nice glass of wine. Sharing the restrooms w/ the nightclub next door is weird and a turnoff. Niteclub restrooms smell funky -- like alcohol and bleach. Yech.
- Our waitress was great. HoweverOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/18/2008Our waitress was great. However the busboy continuously tried to take our plates before we were done. Then when we wanted him to take them he practically ignored us. I love the restaurant and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- My Yelp Review: http://www.yelp.comOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/16/2008My Yelp Review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/salt-house-san-francisco#hrid:MgzN7jae86_njVBVIrkUcw
- The food was excellent, lovedMichaelDonnerVIPDined on 3/15/2008The food was excellent, loved our server. The place was packed and very loud. We are all 50 or so, and were by far the oldest ones there. The majority were young, trendy, and having a great time. Some in our party complained about the noise, and this would discourage some from returning, but to others it contributed to the sense of buzz.Special Features:
- Excellent food , however theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/15/2008Excellent food , however the portions were small. Still hungry after the meal even with appetizer.Special Features:
- We had a good dinner for 4OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008We had a good dinner for 4 (3 visitors from oustide San Francisco). The consensus was that while it was a great restaurant, we wouldn't put it in the "must do" list for someone we knew was coming to the city. For one of our male diners, the portion size was pretty small for the beef entre.Special Features:
- We thought it was mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/14/2008We thought it was mediocre food served in a chic atmosphere. Was okay but would not go back.Special Features:
- Food was excellent, but veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/14/2008Food was excellent, but very small. Waitress was fairly disinterested and people from the bar kept bumping us. Overrated, overpriced restaurant.Special Features:
- The food is absolutely terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/13/2008The food is absolutely terrific -- inventive yet comforting at the same time. We tried lots of things and it was all wonderful.Special Features:
- Service was really slow!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/12/2008Service was really slow! But when I didn't enjoy the recommended glass of wine, they hapily replaced it--very nice.
- i thought the prices wereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/12/2008i thought the prices were very high for portions that were very very small... the crispy shrimp app was delicious! they were out of the wine i wanted....i had expected more, especially because town hall is so amazing... it was okay...