545 Mission St
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.salthousesf.com/
- Phone: 4155438900x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30 - 10:00pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday : 5:30 - 9:30
Happy Hour : Monday - Friday 2 - 6
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Vernon Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 1st and 2nd
- Public Transit: Montgomery Station for both Muni and Bart riders.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is an independent valet in front of the restaurant every night except Sunday. Metered street parking is available. There are also several parking garages available in the area including one right next door at 555 Mission.
A word from Salt House
Salt House Tavern - A 75-seat, contemporary tavern housed in an old printing press warehouse built in the 1930’s. Exposed brick, original hardwood floors, 12 foot windows and oversized rusted iron girders. Contemporary American fare ranging from raw bar plateaus to local cheeses, appetizers and heartier main dishes. Wines from all over the world, local beers and an extensive cocktail list. Full menu anywhere you'll sit down - at the bar, the communal table, the front window counter or in the dining room!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salt House reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (110)special occasion (55)great for lunch (51)neighborhood gem (48)hot spot (47)good for groups (36)vibrant bar scene (35)romantic (34)notable wine list (24)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- quality dining experienceAlexDined on 2/23/2014The restaurant was casual but still elegant, the food quality was excellent. I had a mixed green salad with apples and nuts, followed by a well portioned piece of cod. Add two glasses of chardonnay and a glass of port for dessert the bill was around $80 w/o tip. There are many great restaurants in SF, and I would definitely add this one to the listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, a bit noisyLuv2dineDined on 2/23/2014Dined at approximately 7pm on a Monday and the restaurant was almost full. The tables alongside the bench seat are a bit too close together as the conversations of nearby tables easily interfered with our own. Great food and service, but not somewhere I would go for a quiet romantic dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOMA StandoutOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/20/2014Surprisingly great food - even better than I remember from our last lunch. For a limited menu, the quality and presentation of the food were impessive. Great, unpretentious, hard working staff and kitchen. Just be prepared for the high noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit not as good as 1stOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/20/2014I ordered my burger well done and it came out raw. They very quickly made me a new burger and no less than three different people aplogized for the error. Prior to the undercooked food, our server was pretty quick coming and going and hard to find. It was very noisy and hard to talk. This was my second visit to this reataurant and unfortunately it was not as good as my first. I may try them again in the future, we will see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/11/2014The food was great, fresh, different. The tables were all a little bit too cramped for my liking. It was freezing where we were. The wine selection was good but not much choice for under $50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchHVHmikeDined on 2/11/2014The salt house serves up another great meal. Just the right amount of food and not too noisy. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/10/2014Food was great, service very good but in the future I guess we would opt not to sit under the stairs since there was a lot of noise from people walking up and down. thanks.Special Features:
- Good Location, Very Good Food!AussieDinerDined on 2/6/2014This was a second trip for me and just as enjoyable as the first. The restaurant is a little cramped, which stopped me from giving 5 stars. Food was very good, and all four of us loved it. The Baby Beet Salad with goat cheese burrata was excellent and the Cauliflower Soup, too. Noise level was a bit high for conversation, but we managed. If the space weren't quite to tight, perhaps the noise level wouldn't be so intrusive. All in all, a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!JohnDined on 1/30/2014Food was very attractive and tasty. Service was very good considering the crowd - every table taken at noon with a line at the bar. Out of town guests with somewhat less than adventuresome palates were pleased. I'll be back in less than a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Weird ServiceBrittanyDined on 1/25/2014I made this reservation to celebrate a friend's birthday. I mentioned this to the hostess & pointed out the birthday girl. The very first thing our server did was walk up and announce to the birthday girl that they aren't a "singing restaurant." It was rude and unnecessary. We were just hoping for a candle, if anything. The rest of the service was well below par for such snobbery - It took forever to order and get food. We had 5 people, they gave us 4 dinner rolls. The second time we asked if we could have another roll and they dropped/threw another loaf of 4 rolls onto the center of the table. We also wondered if the slow service was a ploy to amp up the drink order, but then watched our bottle of wine sit at the bar for at least 20 mins.
- Good lunch in the Financial DistricPaulRVIPDined on 1/23/2014Kale salad was excellent , by noon they had run out of tuna tartare. Very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Working Lunchmmay2VIPDined on 1/21/2014Quick service and great menu. Good spot to grab a quick working lunch with someone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Salt HouseKathleenDined on 1/20/2014I'm so glad we gave in and ordered deserts. The two dishes that the four of us shared were amazing. We had the chocolate torte and the chocolate hazelnut pot de creme. I would go back here just for desert and booze!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Moderate ServiceTCatsDined on 1/19/2014The bar and hostess staff seemed disorganized. We arrived early for our reservation, so we sat at the bar. The bartender got my drink order wrong twice and they were out of the scotch my companion ordered off the bar menu. Once we were seated and settled, a waitress came and asked us if we've move from our six top to a four top so they could accommodate another party. We were moved to a table in the middle of traffic, and we had to request another open four top more out of the way. Despite the inconvenience and poor first impression, the manager did not offer a round or other gesture. Once the musical tables were over, the food and service were good, but overall not level of service I would expect for a $300 check for a party of 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Gem near Moscone CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/19/2014When you are visiting San Fran and working a trade show at Moscone Center, it's nice to have a quality restaurant you can walk to. I've been back each year for 3 years and have enjoyed the food, staff and wine list.Special Features:
- Great service!ilovefoodVIPDined on 1/19/2014We were a large of 8 party. The staff at the Salt House were so accommodating. After pushing back our reservations an hour, we were able to enjoy dinner and a decent pace with out rushing. One good thing about having a larger party is that you can order and try different things off the menu. Some of the notable dishes were the poutin, beet salad chicory salad, black cod, scallops, and faro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Food for Sea FoodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/19/2014Excellent, well prepared trout and black cod dishes, plus an arctic char tatrare appetizer. Yum! A few more sea food dishes wouldn't hurt - there's very few places in SF with such a reliable touch on what is offered. Generous portions, reasonable prices, a good wine list, and attentive service ensures that we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doubt I would ever go backMichaelDined on 1/17/2014The poutine tasted like the fries had been sitting there for a few hours reheated in salamander and the scallops were gritty! Not very impressed with the slow service!
- Second Time at Salt HouseNickVIPDined on 1/13/2014It's my second visit at Salt House. The first visit, we waited for about twenty minutes even if we have our reservation but this time, we are seated immediately. They gave us bread which didn't happen in our first visit. But I am disappointed with the quality of the steak and fries that I had on my second visit. The first time I had it, the sauce was full of flavor, fresh greens, the potatoes are yummy and the steak is the perfect medium rare, but this time the food is not as good as the first one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there, have beenNicknameVIPDined on 1/12/2014First time there, have been to Town Hall a few times also very good. Food was great, wine same! Service terrific!Special Features:
- DisappointedSignakGDined on 1/10/2014Extremely loud-deafening. Nearly impossible to have a conversation. Server not attentive- forgot a request for bread and didn't return. tables for two cramped. Chicory salad bitter and not well balanced with vinegrette. Black cod fair, but over salted, wouldn't eat there again.
- Amazing foodWonderfulVIPDined on 1/10/2014A friend and I ate at salt for the first time and the food and service were amazing. The space is warm and the noise levels can be loud but everything we ate was creative and absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunch spotbritchickdanDined on 1/10/2014This is a favorite of our office for lunch meetings. The food is consistently good, service is great, prices are reasonable for the area and it's a relaxed environment.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 1/4/2014Our waiter Ron was the best! He was very knowledgeable of the menu to accommodate our food allergies and paired the wines beautifully! I can't wait for our next meal at Salt House!Special Features:
- NYEALGGDined on 12/31/2013Service was very accomodating with nice attitudes. Champagne was a nice touch. Bartenders need to smile and act like they care. solid food.Special Features:
- Unique foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/30/2013Beautiful presentation and delicious food with a very creative flare. Must try the Pork app with fried egg.Special Features:
- WONDERFUL!FoodfanVIPDined on 12/28/2013We really loved this place. The food was great, the place is beautiful, the service was excellent. We would recommend it highly! As close to perfect as it comes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badmlazDined on 12/27/2013The food was good but I found it a little heavy - could have still had good flavor without all the oil. Lots of meat dishes - not too much that was light and veggie. I thought it was over priced - the food didn't wow me and it should have for that price. Good experience but not sure I would go back - I would rather spend that amount in dinner somewhere where I am more impressed with the food.Special Features:
- Great Service but...EddieVIPDined on 12/22/2013it is quite small and the tables are very close together. The setting was fine until Salt House filled up and the noise level went from energetic to WOW. Food is interesting but some in our party couldn't find something they loved. The Hostess was very welcoming and our waiter was excellent! The beet salad was the best and the cod was only average in flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningDeidre39Dined on 12/21/2013The Salt House was a wonderful place to celebrate my 40th Birthday. The food was exceptional, the drinks were fantastic and the waitstaff terrific. One note, as the evening progressed and the restaurant became busier, the noise level went up as well. Howeve, that did not make my evening any less wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service, Descent FoodJeremyVIPDined on 12/20/2013The server was amazing. From check-in to seating to check, everyone was wonderful. 5 Stars for the service. Good Wine prices and quaint wine list. Not a huge selection of wine but unique picks across the board so really all that is missing from the wine list are the same old common brands. You won't find common brands here on the wine list. The food was good to great, but not great. I had the Pork bone in and it was pretty good. It was a large portion. We split the Chicory salad which I thought was really good. My wife had the Beef and it was good as well. I preferred the Zubaton and she preferred the flank steak on the beef combo. We didn't have desert. The timing and delivery was really good as well as the support staff!Special Features:
- I thoroughly enjoyed the foodKCDowntownDined on 12/17/2013I thoroughly enjoyed the food and the service was also very good. Our table location was under the stairs which seemed a bit odd at first but once the restaurant was filled, the stairs probably provided us with a bit of shelter from the noise as we were able to hear each other without too much difficulty. I ordered the citrus quinoa salad which was very tasty and my friend ordered the mussels. I was able to sample the mussels and they were excellent - and mussels are not my favorite seafood. We also shared the truffle fries which were crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/14/2013We had the most amazing food. The ambiance is great and loved being in an old warehouse style building but the highlight was the food. We expected it to be good. It it was OUTSTANDINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always good!MaryVIPDined on 12/13/2013Love Salt House, the food is always great and so is the service. Just wish it wasn't so noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Star Biz LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/9/2013Salt House was an ideal setting for an informal biz lunch. We enjoyed the food, the wait staff and the ambiance.Special Features:
- Tiny portions poorly cookedAndyDHVIPDined on 12/7/2013Great setting, attentive service but awful food. Our drinks arrived a small pour of Chardonnay and a signature cocktail that was a glass packed with crushed ice and maybe 1/2 oz of Campari and vermouth. The salads were ok but again very small. Then after a long delay our mains came. About 3oz overcooked cod sitting on a bed of partly cooked white beans garnished with half a brussel sprout burned black. Our complaints were heard sympathetically and we were not charged for the fish but we will not go back.
- crampedEBEnglishVIPDined on 12/6/2013Too many tables are crammed in here. We got a table upstairs and felt we were better off than most! Food was good (lunch), service was good although they served fish & chips without malt vinegar and then eventually came back to tell me that they were out - not so good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went here for a work holidayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/2/2013Went here for a work holiday dinner. Great place for business dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service, fun ambiencepritiankaVIPDined on 11/23/2013I loved Salt House. We made a last minute reservation for 10:45 PM after a bad experience with RN74 messing up our rez. Showed up to a friendly server who seated us right away. The ambience is awesome with a vibrant artwork filling up a whole wall. I ordered their drink of the day - a fizzy St. Germaine concoction with pomegranate seeds - and it was amazing. Packed a punch and tasted amazing. The food was good but only the peppers from the appetizer were of note. The waiter was awesomely friendly and we had a great night over all.Special Features:
- Salt TalksCalDinerVIPDined on 11/21/2013Cool ambiance. Great wait staff. Expensive and probably over priced. Scallops were fantastic! Tuna tartare terrific! Scrimshaw beer great but rest of drinks, e.g., orange scotch cocktail ordered at bar was small and hardly tasted any scotch. Noisy place on a Thursday night and it was packed. Tables very close together. Oysters just so so and did I tell you this place is pricey?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.