North End Grill
104 North End Avenue
New York, NY 10282Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
North End Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.northendgrillnyc.com/
- Phone: 6467471600x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Friday: 11:30am - 10:30pm; Saturday: 11:00am - 10:30pm; Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eric Korsh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from North End Grill
Equipped with a distinctive open kitchen, which features custom-designed wood-burning grills and two charcoal-fired Josper Ovens, North End Grill showcases a market-driven menu replete with fresh, grilled cuisine, complimented by an inspiring wine and cocktail list, and a bar with over 100 scotches.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
North End Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)neighborhood gem (78)special occasion (53)great for lunch (50)notable wine list (42)great for brunch (38)good for groups (36)vibrant bar scene (34)great for outdoor dining (31)romantic (27)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (11)late-night find (7)Show More
- great dinnerrobertDined on 7/4/2014Menu was creative. Food was fantastic. Service was very good. Will definitely be back. Overall a ten on a scale of one to ten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/3/2014the clam bake was sensational we all loved it If it was easier to get to I would be there more often But I will always settle for The Modern and of course USC [my all time favorite]Special Features:
- Great Place!MaryTDined on 7/3/2014I was having my largest client for lunch while he was here in NY. He was staying downtown so I wanted to find a place close to his location. Since I am not familiar with the area I researched online. I was impressed by the website and the reviews I read. I decided to give it a try, with fingers crossed. The first thing I said when I walked in the door was "oh this place IS nice!" The food was fresh and amazingly tasty. The service was impeccable. Some places in the city can be a little snooty, but not here. Everyone was super friendly and made us feel very welcomed. I will be back! My client also loved it and sent me a follow-up text thanking me for taking him to such a great place. I think he will also be back next time he is in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacekandeDined on 6/29/2014Would go there again. They didn't have a huge menu but what they did have was unique. They cook like me! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new2nycVIPDined on 6/27/2014A very special evening enjoyed by four of us at North End Grill. The smoked sable,burata grilled octopus and oysters were all delicious starters.We all had the bronzini for main course.it was buttery,moist, and perfectly cooked-excellent!! We shared three desserts,particularly loving the rhubarb crisp with smoked vanilla?ice cream-but ALL were good. the wine list was nice, and after a few "tastes" we enjoyed a pinot gris. The service was outstanding--friendly,and helpful-and conversation possible on a summer friday eve.. They also have a special of $1.00 oysters at the bar and patio from 8-10pm... We loved the evening and will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too NoisyViewLoverDined on 6/26/2014The food was really good, but the noise level was a little too much. It was hard to have a conversation. I felt like I was having to talk too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch and DinnerJimMVIPDined on 6/24/2014Dropped in for a late lunch one day while in the neighborhood and sat outside. Service was impeccable and food fantastic, so decided it was worth trying for dinner, too. We were not disappointed. Again, service was perfect, excellent wine recommendation, food was incredible. Very happy we came across this place. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit as good as the firstKathleen3206Dined on 6/24/2014Since our first visit in February the chef has changed, but this has had no bad effects. The menu items are still creative and flavorful, the wine list is carefully chosen, the service is solid, and the room still gets packed with eager eaters. Every dish we chose was delectable. All the staff members we encountered were upbeat and friendly.Special Features:
- Odd location, smart restaurantFoodwomanVIPDined on 6/21/2014A restaurant where the staff "buys in " and the chef delivers. Terrific range of brunch food...homemade sausages...lamb, pork...balls on skewers. Thick, carmelized bacon, Smoked fish. They use their wood burning fires potential well. Can't wait to try dinner.Special Features:
- I've become a regularNYCSCHVIPDined on 6/19/2014It helps that I work in Battery Park City for sure but it's really the food that makes this worth the trip. I go for lunch regularly but also come here for dinner when I can. The service is lovely, they have high end menu options but without the high end prices or the requirement of a prix fixe. The dishes are flavorful and inventive but remarkably simple. The single malt scotch selection as well as the wine list helps round out the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPRMayorDined on 6/18/2014Dined with a friend who is big into food and wine, we came here to experience the service and Chef Eric Korsh's menu. Our experience was ideal, we felt the presence of hospitality from beginning to end and our server was savvy in pairing wines with each of our courses. I look forward to dining here again.Special Features:
- Great seafood, amazing whiskey listBillDined on 6/18/2014Small but daily updated menu with butter-melting seafood, lamb and steaks. Small to medium portions, but decently priced for what you get in terms of taste. Very extensive wine and whiskey lists, with most items accordingly priced for the successful. But some good deals too. Food is amazing (milk poached Halibut anyone?), ambiance is business and conversation friendly, improved by outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonnieVIPDined on 6/15/2014Having eaten at Calliope we had great expectations for its former chef, now at North End Grill where we had eaten twice under the previous chef and not liked it. We asked that the octopus appetizer be divided in the kitchen. Reluctantly the waitress asked and returned to say the kitchen was "willing" to divide. Why should the request have been a problem?The trout was okay but the pork chop was awful. It was not a chop (chops have bones): it was a 1/2 inch thick small piece of mostly fat under overdone cabbage. We waited far too long to order wine and when ordered waited ten minutes for it--and too long between courses. And a sour, sour waitress. We live in the neighborhood and we may try again, but not anytime soon.
- Always A WinnerJohnBDined on 6/15/2014You will not go wrong: great food, with impeccable service: a staff always going out of their way to make your dining enjoyable. An active bar scene also for a quick bite.Special Features:
- KingsketzVIPDined on 6/14/2014It was surprisingly kid friendly - not something I relished for a nice evening out. This was the second time I was there. Somehow the area I was sitting in was a bit tighter than I enjoyed. That and we had a large group adjacent that was very loud and a family with a complaining kid. Not fun. We still managed to enjoy the food and all but not as good as our first visit.
- Great for brunchFoodieMamaVIPDined on 6/14/2014Great place for brunch after visiting the 9/11 memorial museum. It is a short walk west, towards the water. The food was very good, with a good selection of items for every type of craving for brunch. They make their own sweets and have a wonderful fresh seafood bar. Service was attentive but not pushy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderful!SusieVIPDined on 6/14/2014I might just start eating exclusively at NEG! We have never had a bad meal and the service is always impeccable! We are fans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceChefMarkDDined on 6/10/2014What an amazing experience, where to start. The cocktail list was very well done and The "Scotch and Stormy" was particularly good. For snacks you can't miss the head on prawns and the Egg's mayonnaise is one of the best appetizers I've ever had. Clam pizza is so simple, but that is what makes it so good, I would go back just for that. For the entree's the squab is amazing, a presentation and collection of flavors that I have never seen before, but they worked together so well. Service staff was attentive, knowledgeable and spot on with recommendations. A must next time I am in NYC. Thank you North End Grill team, well done!Special Features:
- Great food/hi price/small portioneatdessert1stDined on 6/10/2014I had a business lunch with a client at North End Grill. The food was excellent but the size of my octopus salad almost required a magnifying glass. My guest had the trout on lentils which was also small but he professed it to be just right. Don't miss the strawberry-basil sorbet if it is on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect power lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2014Creative food, well prepared with energetic business vibe. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Date night with the hubby!lauriekDined on 6/8/2014We had a great meal here Sunday night. The food was fabulous along with our cocktails. Service was also top notch and staff was very attentive.We can't wait to go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, superbPSvisitorVIPDined on 6/8/2014This was my second time at the North End Grill, and it proved as spectacular as the first. I highly recommend the Tamarind Marguerita, the trout, and the thrice fried spiced fries. The butterscotch pot du creme is the dessert to order.Special Features:
- mediocre brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/8/2014Had an okay brunch. Omelette with fromage blanc cheese was still cold inside the omelette. The crab benedict was nothing special. Frankly, we were expecting more from a Danny Meyer led restaurant yet left disappointed. There are better brunch options.
- The following 789 reviews are from the North End Grill reviews archive.
- desser, dessert, dessert!carmVIPDined on 6/2/2014The food was great. Snacked on the prawns with a pepper oil, thumbs up. Appetizer, the crab with avocado and green strawberries, very good. The steak and it's fixin's were yummy (cippolini onions and ramps)! The upma polenta with mushrooms turned out sweet, which wasn't the savory entree I expected. The fried brussel sprouts with chili flakes were yummy. But the desserts were transporting, the warm blueberry tart with lemon/almonds; the popcorn sundae so yummy and the butterscotch pot de creme. Go just for the desserts!!!Special Features:
- Great new chefnoteworthyVIPDined on 5/31/2014We discovered Eric Korsch when he was chef at Calliope and loved his food. Now he's at No End Grill and we are thrilled. Our concerns that his elemental, deeply satisfying, ingredient driven cooking would lose its punch in this more polished setting were put to rest on our first visit. This is a great chef serving food I would love to eat every day. Really delicious. The wine list if good, but could be much improved to better meet the elemental, vibrant food. We'll be regulars.Special Features:
- Fantastic ServicewimpennaDined on 5/31/2014I've been to North End Grill plenty of times but came on a Saturday night for date night which was wonderful. The service was impeccable, the food amazing, and the presentation impressive. The service was the perfect mixture of attentive and unobtrusive. The sommelier constantly stopped by to check on the wine and the manager came over twice to ensure that all was well. We had the trout and the halibut and both were delectable. The chocolate cake and ice cream were equally impressive! The décor is always perfect and the presentation of the table and the dishes were also fantastic. Each detail was well thought out. It was a foregone conclusion that we would return to North End Grill but this evening was particularly impressive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2essenceVIPDined on 5/31/2014Fabulous! This is a great find. The service is absolutely amazing the food is, too. The most tender and best octopus I've ever tasted. Who even knew you could say tender and octopus in the same sentence!Special Features:
- Fabulous Find!NancyDined on 5/30/2014We found the North End Grill on-line. It received all positive reviews from other diners, so we tried it. It was terrific! Excellent, interesting dinner menu with a really great wine list. Definitely good for "foodies" and wine lovers. Our server, Kerri, was great - she was friendly and very knowledgeable, and never made us feel rushed, as many servers do. The wine steward, Bradley, was great as well. He really listened to our preferences in wines, and suggested two great ones - a red, and a white, which were both new to us and very, very good. The dining room issituated far enough away from the open kitchen that it is not too noisy. A really fantastic spot....we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service with a personal touchjrkayriVIPDined on 5/25/2014This restaurant continues to amaze me. This was our second time there and the food was just as good if not better than the last time. But it was the service that stood out. After the first trip I had filled out a comment card commending the food, service and a particular dish. I received a handwritten note a week or so later from the manager thanking me for my visit...that's a first! But on our second trip, the particular dish I had raved about on my first visit was no longer on the menu...and yet, they somehow knew I was coming in, remembered my previous comments form months ago, and specially prepared that dish! Now that is service!Special Features:
- LM43lm43Dined on 5/25/2014The wait staff is knowledgeable, the food beautifully presented and prepared. The dtrinks are interesting and really great combinations as well as the extensive scotch offerings. I would gladly go back frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJimdineDined on 5/24/2014A lucky find at the very last minute. Perfect food and service. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- A pleasureWillowDined on 5/24/2014This is a delightful restaurant with great food, even though the original chef has just left. He will be missed, but the new chef is excellent. The service is well done, with everyone trying to make you happy. One exception was the hostesses at the front door. None said Thank You or Good Night.Special Features:
- Couldn't wait to try itCevssDined on 5/24/2014Unfortunately, when we got there we learned that chef Floyd Cardoza was no longer there. The menu was limited and an odd combination of items for brunch. I had the grabs lox and crab and spinach Benedict. The salmon was very good, but the eggs were way too salty and the spinach slimy. I became very ill shortly after leaving the restaurant and had to cancel my plans for the rest of the day. My guest and I were very, very disappointed and will never go back.
- Wish it were closer to home!KathyGDined on 5/22/2014Not sure why I picked it, but took our daughter there to celebrate her graduation. We walked thru the bar which was busy and noisy, lloking like a lot of fun for her generation but less so for the middle aged parents. However, the dining room was quiet with tables nicely spaced. They presented her with menu that had "Congratulations!" written on it, to her delight. The wine steward was very helpful...my husband knows a bit about wine and his recommendation was perfect. Then came the food...we all chose various fish dishes and I'd say each one better than the next but perhaps more accurately was each was 5 star! Service was great...A+!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make us feel special every timepeskeDined on 5/22/2014North End Grill has become a special destination for us, and every time we visit, the staff makes it feel like we're their highest priority. And it's good to see over time that there is such low turnover: the same super talented best-of-the-best staff helps our dining experience become one for the books each and every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeedbackFredVIPDined on 5/19/2014I've eatern at the North End Grill several times in the past few months and thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience every time up to the last time. This last time my colleagues and I all felt that our entrees were sub-par. Two of us ordered the steak and it was very fatty and difficult to chew. Very disappointing and expensive. Another person had the lamb and said it was "ok". I'm concerned that with the turnover in Chefs, the food may no longer be was it was. Hoping it was just an off night. I'll give it one more try.Special Features:
- Would definitely returnOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/18/2014We celebrated my b/day there this past Sunday. Service was very good, food was good too (cookies and cream ice cream was out of this world), prices are reasonable and atmosphere was pleasant. The only thing I didnt like was the fact that there were kids there Sunday night. Dont get me wrong, I have my own kids (3 and almost 8), but when I book a nice restaurant like this one, I dont expect children there. Most of them were ok, but a couple who was sitting near us, could not get their son to be quiet. Otherwise, I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it more timetimessqregularVIPDined on 5/18/2014The service team was extremely accommodating and it was obvious that they really cared about our brunch experience, but the food did not live up to the hype. One meal served five minutes in advance of the other and raw sausage. When the person who cleared the sausage offered to heat them up, that only made me more worried....and Chef Eric was in the kitchen. I guess we need to give him some time to find his footing as this didn't happen at North End Grill under the previous Chef. Our expectations were set for great, we just got good.
- Lightening strikes twiceAlanSpruksDined on 5/17/2014What do you do if your award winning Chef of 16 years is moving on? Find a new talent that’s equally as impressive. Great job Danny and welcome Chef Korsh!Special Features:
- Great find in Battery Park CitymarciamaxVIPDined on 5/17/2014This is our second time here and we loved it again. great addition to the Battery Park city areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.