44 Webster St. (At Embarcadero West)
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.havenoakland.com/
- Phone: 5106634440x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday, 5:00-7:00 PM
Sunday - Thursday 5:30-10:00 PM
Friday & Saturday 5:30 pm-11:00 PM
Saturday & Sunday: 10:30 AM- 2:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Kim Alter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Haven is now open for Brunch! The menu is served family-style for $25 per person.
Sample Brunch Menu
Lox, pickled beets
Granola, yogurt, fresh strawberries
Veggie Fritata fresh from the market
Waffles, fresh peaches, pecans
- Cross Street: Embarcadero W.
- Public Transit: Free bus at both Webster and Broadway at Embarcadero. Civic Center and Lake Merritt BART stations are just a few blocks walk. Coming from San Francisco? Consider taking the Ferry over since it drops you right at in Jack London.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is available on Webster as it terminates at Embarcadero in the Jack London Square courtyard. Street parking is often available, and there is a $6 dollar lot just South of the restaurant building on Embarcadero at Harrison. We also validate for the Broadway parking garage.
A word from Haven
Located in Oakland’s Jack London Square, Haven is the third restaurant in the DPG (Daniel Patterson Group) family of restaurants. Serving creative new Californian cuisine from Executive Chef Charlie Parker, the menu features craveable, technique-driven food including whole animal and vegetable preparations, shareable plates, and delicious desserts. Our nightly odds & ends specials offer tasty surprises and the craft cocktails, local beer and stellar wine list from our bar give plenty of options to wash it all down with. As always, our dining room and patio provide beautiful bay views as a backdrop for your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Haven reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (125)scenic view (90)special occasion (79)great for outdoor dining (75)neighborhood gem (58)romantic (54)hot spot (41)good for groups (31)vibrant bar scene (29)notable wine list (25)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (12)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Food was stunningbizguyVIPDined on 7/6/2014The food was absolutely stunning. Very inventive and fresh. A lot of the savory items on the menu included fruit, which was brilliant. I sat at the bar overlooking the chef leading the line and the kitchen is very well run. Great place for a Sunday night dinner, btw. My only negative was that my server was inattentive, but watching other tables/guests makes me think it was just that particular server.Special Features:
- Off it's gameFoodie2014VIPDined on 7/6/2014We've enjoyed our previous meals at Haven since it opened in 2011. This time however, perhaps because of a recent chef change, was a major exception. The food, although good, lacked creativity especially given that it is a Daniel Patterson restaurant. The timing of the kitchen was horribly off and the service was awkward at best. Perhaps it was just a bad night (7pm on the Sunday of the July 4th weekend) but something was definitely amiss. It's a lovely spot and still the best at Jack London so we'll give it another chance but you should be be forewarned.Special Features:
- One problemEdmundVIPDined on 7/1/2014Let me start by saying that the food was great! However the service was horrendous. Our waitress was a sweetheart and the problems were not her fault. Understaffed bar and generally understaffed this restaurant was not ready for the number of diners they had. 35 minutes to get a drink once we sat down. Another 30 minutes after that to get appetizers. Dinner came out more timely but we were afraid to order dessert for fear we would end up having to stay the night!! I don't mind spending 25-30 dollars for an entree but the service needs to be there. Unless they can fix this problem a restaurant with truly excellent food won't last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food at Jack London Squarecbgb2VIPDined on 6/27/2014The food is great at Haven. Charlie Parker has added delicious dishes to the menu. The pork was fabulous and loved the chicken liver appetizer. I look forward to eating my way though the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found a new HAVEN!FamilyDined on 6/23/2014Great restaurant find @ Jack London Square. Portions are appropriate not to big, not too small. Spent our anniversary there and was treated really well! Good place for a MNO (Moms Night Out)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/20/2014Service was very slow. The server didn't make his first appearance for about 15 minutes. He was aloof and ineffective. It wasn't a busy Friday night. He just didn't seem to care. I asked for fried egg on my burger. He was to check whether it was possible, but never reported back and served the burger without one and without mentioning it again. I asked for condiment, and he forgot about that until he passed by a second time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/20/2014Great aged cocktails. Food was good but not as good as we had hoped.
- Haven on a SundayParkeDined on 6/15/2014Went to Haven for a late afternoon lunch and found ourselves very satisfied with the overall experience. The pickled sardine on avocado toast is worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent w/ Pricey, Small PortionsBigRedDined on 6/15/2014Great service, high quality ingredients, imaginative combinations and a beautiful view of the water from the patio. The restaurant is also very dog-friendly. The one drawback is the portion size which is very skimpy for entrees. The "FLAT IRON STEAK" with crushed potato, broccoli, black garlic, and tendon is $26 and consists of two thin slices of beef. It is very deceptive to refer to this dish as a steak! Overall, foodies will love this place but be prepared to spend more money than you planned.Special Features:
- Fathers Day BrunchJoelDined on 6/15/2014I'm a fan of Daniel Patterson so for Fathers Day brought my girls here (age 20 & 13) for something different. Similar to Plum it has a limited menu but the selection was fine in we all ordered something different. The pozole seemed like the best dish but was served in an awkward bowl which was 6 inches tall which made it difficult to access. They did not have any desserts on the menu which seemed odd. I would call the service efficient but the waiter was not welcoming nor friendly. Lastly, the Bloody Mary was over $10 which I thought was fine considering it used roasted tomatoes. It had a unique flavor but in hindsight they could probably do better using tomato water instead of roasting.Special Features:
- Best RestaurantLisaVIPDined on 6/14/2014Haven is one of the finest restaurants - anywhere. The menu is unusual, even for those used to California cuisine. They are very accommodating should someone have a food allergy or aversion. The design of the space is lovely - the service, not over the top, not in your face, just right, professional, informative, human. The food - absolutely delicious. Creative, spectacular, sent us all swooning. Will return as soon as possible. Thank you, Haven!Special Features:
- Great dog friendly outdoor diningKumaDined on 6/14/2014We went for Saturday brunch with our dog and got a very pleasant table outdoors. They immediately supplied a water dish for our dog that we didn't even ask for. The food was delicious, lighter than typical brunch fare. Our table was in the shade and there was a nice breeze that made it the perfect. The farmers market, craft vendors and water all made for a lovely outdoor dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2014Drinks and food came out very slowly. Our dinner took 3 hours!Special Features:
- Enjoyable evevningTrueheartDined on 6/13/2014Food was great, restaurant very busy, service was good and attentive. With Friday night crowd may have been more noisy than desired, making conversation challenging at times.Special Features:
- Maybe next time...UnacceptableDined on 6/12/2014This was my second visit to Haven but unlike the first time, this experience lacked a little luster. Even with a reservation we felt rather awkward when we were greeted at the door. The Hostess seemed disconnected and not happy that we were there. Took a while to be seated and even though our main server, Chris was pleasant, he often disappeared and we were left waiting a lot. The food was still quite enjoyable but something was lacking. Perhaps it was an off night...Special Features:
- RushedSFeatersVIPDined on 6/8/2014Couldn't enjoy ourself as the entrees arrived when we were still eating our apps. They quickly cleared out apps away before we were done. Entrees were all cold and overcooked. Lamb ,pork, and chicken were all dry. I expected better.
- Reservations devaluedEastBayFoodieDined on 6/7/2014How many worthwhile restaraunts in the bay area will try to seat you at the bar when you arrive with a reservation? I've experienced this frequently enough at Haven to understand just how poorly they manage their reservations and flow. Food is great but so devalued by poor service overall - this once-nice Oakland spot is clearly heading on a slow, painful destructive path - hopefully someone can help them recognize where they're headed.
- Front of the house a mess!! Bad!!IgnatiusReillyDined on 6/6/2014This was a birthday dinner so I noted this on OpenTable AND verbally reminded the waiter. They totally forgot until after dessert was served and then brought out a plain candle stuck to a plate! Not even stuck into a mini scoop of ice cream. We had been seated for 13 minutes without ANY attention (in a half empty restaurant) from anybody so I had to flag down a man who took our order -- you see a dozen waiters and runners floating around but you never know who your waiter is. They messed up our drink order TWICE before bringing us the right drink. But the worst aspect of our $100+ dinner was that the menu was totally different from the (undated) online menu. No apology, just "ha, chef changed the menu!" NEVER coming back.Special Features:
- nineclawDined on 6/6/2014Had a wonderful meal. The drinks were outstanding, too. Really friendly wait staff (even after my daughter dropped her glass - oops!). Nice ambiance and lively scene at Jack London Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous taste treatsfortunateVIPDined on 6/1/2014Consistently subtle wonderful combination of tastes. Each dish a delight.Special Features:
- Favorite Oakland restaurantChirofoodieVIPDined on 6/1/2014Creative seasonal menu that is always consistently outstanding. Every dish is unique and expertly plated. The cocktail list is superb. Not the fanciest place, but the dining experience is always top notch!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerOaklandMarkDined on 6/1/2014My wife and I ate dinner here a few days ago and greatly enjoyed it. We started with the burrata and artichoke, and the squid and chorizo, both of which were tasty and generously sized. For entrees, we had the chicken and the burger, and both were very nicely done. I have no complaints about the food. While it was somewhere between very good and excellent, it didn't quite wow me, but it was good enough that I will be back. The only direct criticism I have is that my cocktail while tasty, was very watery. Had they doubled the tequila, they would have had a nice drink, and for $12, a drink ought to at least register. The decor is cool but comfortable, and the views of the harbor are very pretty. Our servers did an excellent job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, relaxed brunch.denaliVIPDined on 5/31/2014It was our first time for brunch and was awesome. We went on a Saturday and without the Sunday farmer's market next door, we practically had the whole place to ourselves. The food was amazing and the bloody marys are just the right amount of spicy. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great serviceRoderickDined on 5/25/2014We had a reservation Sunday at 7:45pm, but we opted to sit at the chefs table. We like watching the chefs make the dishes. Our waiter was really great, he was extremely knowledgeable. Whenever we asked for a suggestion he was always energetic and seemed genuinely interested. All of the dishes tasted really good and they looked beautiful. My favorites were the carrot soup and the chicken. The chefs really take pride in their assembly of the components on the plate. I will definitely return next time I'm in Oakland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeds expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014Haven never disappoints - the seasonal menu offerings always seem simple but have surprising twists and deep, harmonious flavors. On our recent visit a simple pork dish shined. The cocktails are also worth a trip-Special Features:
- Expensive and SlowCoramackVIPDined on 5/24/2014While we enjoyed the food, the service was slow, ill-paced and somewhat snotty. Also, the portions were particularly small. We eat around town a bit and I'm aware of the movement to smaller portions for "higher end" restaurants, but this seems almost comical. The quality of the food is very good and there can be no slamming the chefs' skill.Special Features:
- happydinerDined on 5/24/2014We have had brunch at Haven twice and are very pleased with the menu which is fresh and interesting. The service was outstanding and when one of our party got a dish that did not list the little bit of bacon in it on the menu (she is a vegan) and she tasted it, they graciously replaced the dish with another and did not charge us for it. We love the ambience of Jack London Square and friendly staff and will definitely eat there again many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to Jack LondonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/23/2014I went here for a birthday celebration with a party of 6. The speciality cocktails, wine, and food were all amazing! The serivce was also suprub. Will definitely go back and reccomend to friends.Special Features:
- Fantastic in every wayluv2findDined on 5/23/2014I bought this deal on Travelzoo. Always like to try new restaurants and it's a good way to spread the word about an amazing restaurant. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The food was so beautifully presented and brought to the table warm and beautiful. The bread was brought to us warm and was memorable.c It came with an olive oil dipping sauce that was delicious. It should have a Zagat rating. Haven is one of the best restaurants that I have been to in the East Bay. Located in Jack London Square. This is a beautiful restaurant. Whoever the designer/architect is to be complimented. I am already planning a Birthday dinner for my niece there.Special Features:
- Gem in Jack London SquareAmethystDined on 5/18/2014Celebrated my fiance's birthday here one fine Sunday evening. Everything tasted amazing, seasoned just enough to bring out the freshness of the ingredients, portioned just right, and executed perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 795 reviews are from the Haven reviews archive.
- Worst dining experience in yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014I used to like this spot quite a bit. When it opened, there were service problems but the food was good and the ambience was perfect. After this experience I am not sure I will ever be back. After a minor seating snafu, we waited for ever (45 minutes) for our mains: 2 hamburgers. The first burger was prepared wrongly and the second was plain old raw. We never got our beverages. Our server was barely able to understand our needs (something light? and he suggested burrata) This was over 2.5 hours. Even the manager didn't mitigate the problems well. Embarrassing.
- RecommendhappyinalamedaDined on 5/14/2014We like this place, the servers are on it, interesting food and good wine list. The cocktails are a bit strange though, will go for the wine right away next time. Appetizer portions are good for price, with mains just depends on the dish if it will be enough food. Good though, will returnSpecial Features:
- Very disappointing the second timeoaktownmomDined on 5/11/2014We had a Mother's day reservation and asked if we could be seated near a window since it was a special occasion. When we arrived, they tried to seat us at the worst table (by the door). We asked how long was the wait for a better table and were told 15-30. However, 40 min later, we still were not seated. In the meantime, I waited 20 min at the bar to have someone take my drink order but then the bartender told me she didn't know how to make the drink! (It was on the menu.) When seated, we ordered oysters and they were the smallest I'd ever seen. Not worth $18. Then the roasted pork was fatty, and my son couldn't eat it. The only good things were the braised lamb and crispy veggies. Don't think I'll go back or recommend this place again.Special Features:
- Not a good showingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/11/2014I have been to haven before and quite enjoyed it. But this day they were simply off the mark on most metrics. Food took an extra long time to come. Was not great when it arrived. I will wait for a while before I consider going back. Was pretty excited to check out the new menu and the new head chef. But this was not a good showing. The staff was very pleasant and the decor of the rest is all the same and good. But somehow the kitchen had a bad night. Too many other good spots in oakland that are good and consistent. I would have said more to the waitstaff, but after all the time it took to eat. I just wanted to leave.
- one of our favoritescremebruleeVIPDined on 5/10/2014We always love Haven and our main dishes did not disappoint. A wonderful mushroom dish with egg and grits, flavorful and woodsy. Fantastic wine, wonderfully nice servers (though our food did take an inordinately long time to arrive, and one of our party was not served at the same time, that was a little odd.) Biggest disappointment was a baby lettuce salad 3 of us ordered, which had very little taste; I like a light dressing, but this was non-existent. The lettuce was not the best quality, a bit mealy. I am a salad fanatic, it had me wishing I'd ordered something else.Special Features:
- Poor service. Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2014The waiter forgot toe of our orders. Was not very attentive.... Took 10 min. To get a glass of wine. Food is great.Special Features:
- Not as good as the first timeRobertDined on 5/10/2014The food was fine, not great, so we were disappointed this time. We ordered trout and clearly got salmon. The chocolate bar dessert was definitely high powered- V-E-R-Y R-I-C-H!!!Special Features:
- Fab Fun and tastyGarnishDined on 5/10/2014We had a wonderful mean at Haven. We were seated promptly, tried a few new things to be adventurous, and really enjoyed our meal. Our server was kind, thoughtful, and knew the menu well. We had a food allergy at our table and he made sure of the ingredients before we placed our orders. We are liking forward to going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service slow, food mediocreannoDined on 5/9/2014This was our second visit to Haven. We had a very good meal our first time, though service was a bit slow. This time the food was disappointing (a vegetarian mushroom and grits dish that was soupy and not very tasteful; a bland blackberry crepe dish; ginger beer that tasted medicinal.) The service was still slow.Special Features:
- Yummy Oysters!Rat6880VIPDined on 5/4/2014Went there for a late Sunday dinner and it was good as as the 1st time. Great food, great service and love the ambience.Special Features: