SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant
154 Central Park South
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.southgaterestaurantnyc.com/
- Phone: 2124845120x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon – Fri – 6.30am – 11.00am
Sat – Sun – 7.00am – 11.30am
All Day Menu:
Mon – Fri – 11.00am – 10.30pm
Sat – Sun – 11.30am – 10.30pm
Sun – Thurs – 11.45am – 12.00am
Fri – Sat – 11.30am – 1.00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Achilles Poliviou
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: The Catering Department 8669431542
A word from SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant
SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant is a casual-upscale bar/restaurant/lounge. The menu features American comfort food, prepared with style, based on classic French technique. SOUTHGATE’s cocktails are also classic, with modern twists, but unpretentious. Its wine lists are curated by wine expert Kevin Zraly, whose selections include a wide range of affordable gems and high end offerings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (3)special occasion (2)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)romantic (1)late-night find (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- not worth the money at allOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2012They charged us 75USD per person for food instead of the 35USD it sayed on their webpage. Never going back, not worth the money at all.
- SouthGate is overpriced andJak1Dined on 12/21/2012SouthGate is overpriced and does not reach the levels of cuisinary sophistication to which it apparently aspires. The service was not well coordinated - several different people waited on us, each seemingly unaware of whether we had ordered, what we had ordered, etc.
- Good food. Service could beNYCeaterVIPDined on 12/13/2012Good food. Service could be a bit more professional, but overall, a good experience.
- We had not been to South GateOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/5/2012We had not been to South Gate for a while, and it did not disappoint. Our dinner was local, fresh, and innovative. Staff attentitive and room still beautiful.Special Features:
- My second visit this timeTarheel0416VIPDined on 12/4/2012My second visit this time with a group of 8. Fabulous service and duck meatball apps. Entrees were hit or miss. Salmon and scallops undercooked, steak and tuna were perfect.Special Features:
- We were pleasantly surprisedCherVIPDined on 12/1/2012We were pleasantly surprised by the reasonable price for the prix fixe with wine pairing. We enjoyed it immensely and would definitely return. The space is very modern and sleek. We had a very good waiter -fast, pleasant service.Special Features:
- Brunch buffet was pretty goodCaraVIPDined on 12/1/2012Brunch buffet was pretty good - nice assortment, but nothing to scream about. Seemed like there should be more of a "wow" factor for $37. Nothing terribly wrong with it, but not sure if I'd go back.Special Features:
- Beautiful restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/16/2012Beautiful restaurant with excellent food and a convenient location to Carnegie Hall. Unfortunately, tabletops are marred by multiple circular stains/peeling from wet glasses or bottlesSpecial Features:
- Nice view of Central ParkTruefoodieVIPDined on 11/14/2012Nice view of Central Park and food is good. Service is slow.Special Features:
- Great location and food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012Great location and food was good. However, it lacked a little bit of atmosphere.Special Features:
- Very disappointing. I hadn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/3/2012Very disappointing. I hadn't realized that Kerry Heffernan had left. I thought the service was awful - starting with waiting for a drink at the bar. It was as if I was invisible. It is too bad, it is a gorgeous space, though one I won't be seeing again.
- South Gate is a lovely restaurant,GianettaVIPDined on 10/19/2012South Gate is a lovely restaurant, with a great view of Central Park, and a fireplace. We had fine service as well, and tables far enough apart for privacy. We were there for breakfast, and the menu was straightforward, the food very fresh, but nothing super-interesting or with much seasoning. I would say, excellent hotel food.Special Features:
- Pretty good food and SUPERBOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/13/2012Pretty good food and SUPERB service!!! Pleasant brunch spot for me!
- We enjoyed our visit to SouthNJDiner08648VIPDined on 10/12/2012We enjoyed our visit to South Gate. The preparation and presentation of the meal was very good. The menu is a bit limited. The veal chop was delivered medium rare as requested but was not memorable. The duck meatballs, an appetizer,on the other hand, were excellent...a great combination of tastes that surprise and satisfy. The wait staff was very attentive but not overbearing. The room is lovely and the orientation of the bar is such that a lively bar scene doesn't in any way detract from the dining experience.
- Great restaurant for SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2012Great restaurant for Sunday brunch. Overlooking Central Park on a rainy Sunday, but they had there gas fireplace going so the ambience was great as was the food!Special Features:
- We went for Sunday morningkpcilmVIPDined on 10/7/2012We went for Sunday morning brunch, as we couldn't get into Sarabeth's. Didn't know that it was the JWMarriott hotel restaurant, or probably wouldn't have gone (could have had a hotel brunch in our own hotel), but it was where we wanted to be (south side of central park) and our table looked out over the park. Very good brunch- nice Belgian waffles, with great "fixings' all neatly on the side, so you could add as much (or little) as you pleased. Eggs benedict were good, though the truffle pieces were oddly bland. Service was fine, place was nearly empty. Overall- handy location, good food.
- Food was great. My husbandOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/6/2012Food was great. My husband said it had the best veal chop he's ever had. And he's a foodie. The only recommendation would be to lower the lights in the dining room. It's a bit too bright and a mood killer.Special Features:
- The food and service was terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2012The food and service was terrific. We had the theater prix fixe and were very happy. The only perhaps odd part of the experience is that the bar and the restaurant have very different atmospheres, but the share the same space. The music from the bar is very much a happy hour vibe with dance beats, which felt a little incongruous with our experience sitting by the fire for a lovely quiet dinner.Special Features:
- We went there for dinner beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2012We went there for dinner before going to see a Broadway Show. The service was prompt and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The food was superb. We brought two friends with us who are in the restaurant business and very tough critics and they absolutely loved this place. It is expensive, but the food and atmosphere are well worth the price. I will definitely go back to eat here again and would recommend this place to all of my friends, even those who are hard to please.Special Features:
- Food was good but it was aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2012Food was good but it was a long distance from hotel. Intenetmafe it more appealing than I thought it actually was. Food was very good and creative.Special Features:
- It was a great meal. We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/25/2012It was a great meal. We were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and the staff went all out to make it a special night. They succeeded. We loved the restaurant. Food, decor, ambiance all were outstanding and that let to a memorable evening. I look forwarding to coming back.Special Features:
- View of the streetOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2012The servers were quite friendly & attentive. The brunch menu was good. The entire time, though, we found ourselves wondering why have such a great location on Central Park South and not have any real view of it. On top of that, the seventies 'Ice House' motif was not a look worth revisiting.
- Outstanding food. One ofdinnerVIPDined on 8/11/2012Outstanding food. One of the best in town. Nice place to have a quiet and pleasant meal.
- Simply splendid. RelaxingBGHarrisDined on 7/22/2012Simply splendid. Relaxing environment, creatively prepared food, lively bar if you wish. Treat yourself to a fine dinner and experience.Special Features:
- Far too noisy. ImpossibleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/18/2012Far too noisy. Impossible to carry on a conversation. Indifferent service. Overpriced. Don't bother going.
- lunch with Japan clientBKCSDined on 7/17/2012very good food and the restaurant followed my request for a table that was near the fireplace area as it was more quiet in that spot. Our waitress was terrific....she was very patient with my clients who were in from Japan.Special Features:
- We enjoyed a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2012We enjoyed a special occasion Sunday Brunch with my 8 year old daughter. Although not a normal "kid-friendly" destination, this sophisticated hotel restaurant was very attentive and friendly to my family. Menu included twist on traditional brunch items. The decor was modern and fresh which is a fun contrast to the old world glamour of Central Park.Special Features:
- Despite my booking, they placedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/12/2012Despite my booking, they placed us at a communal table for a business breakfast. No one apologized of the situation and service was not great.
- This is a very well run restaurantNYCRunnerBeanVIPDined on 7/11/2012This is a very well run restaurant which you normally don't find in a hotel setting. On all counts this is outstanding--service is superb, attentive and very professional; food is 4Star and tables are far apart allowing for a civilized conversation.Special Features:
- Lovely place & view; skylight'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/8/2012Lovely place & view; skylight's a nice touch. At 12:40 P.M., we were in time for the Late-Risers' breakfast. I enjoyed the Eggs Benedict; they served a creative variation using smoked salmon instead of Canadian bacon--unique in my experience & delicious! Eggs were perfectly cooked. Very fine expresso. Delightful selection of pastries. Would go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful SecretNinaVIPDined on 7/4/2012This is a wonderful surprise for people who avoid hotel restaurants. South Gate is outstanding in every respect. The wine list is terrific and since it is on an ipad, you can get to the general area you want (red, whole bottle, region, price range) and then have a focused discussion with the excellent sommelier, who is knowledgable and friendly. Friendly applies to waiters and busboys, too. And the reception. The food was perfectly done, we had the duck meatballs and ricotta gnocchi and the $59 prix fixe--sautéed foie gras and veal chop. The desserts were smashing. We were there July 4, so it was not crowded, but the tables are far apart, very airy room. And the view of Central Park! Fabulous!Special Features:
- Had dinner there July 1. LessOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2012Had dinner there July 1. Less than 10 other diners at 7:30, so hard to rate.
- The food is definitely notjen8chDined on 6/29/2012The food is definitely not worth the price - tuna tartare was average. Scallops were too undercooked and the crust was too rich and cheesy for the delicate flavor of the scallop. The service and ambiance are very good though.
- Modern, comfortable, quietDebvinDined on 6/23/2012Modern, comfortable, quiet decor. Service is friendly and attentive. The food was delicious! Worth every penny!Special Features:
- Open, lively spacedaddywarbucks8VIPDined on 6/16/2012We went for our brother's birthday and graduation from Chiropractic school. The restaurant was fairly empty but the bar was lively to say the least. The bartender was a riot. Our servers were nice, the food was good but the steak that was ordered and sent back never returned... The lamb was wonderful thought, so despite the steak issue I would return.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding,DniceVIPDined on 6/15/2012The food was outstanding, the decor and service was great.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant-alwaysPhylVIPDined on 6/8/2012Wonderful restaurant-always a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the food and atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2012Enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Every bite was a welcomed experience. Loved the fire from the fireplace sparkling off the cut mirrors. Service was excellent. Will look forward to going back. My new favorite place.Special Features:
- Fine dining in upscale environment.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/5/2012Fine dining in upscale environment. Creative menu. Very attentive service. A bit pricey, but to be expected in this NYC 5 star hotelSpecial Features:
- Outstanding. One of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/5/2012Outstanding. One of the best meals I've ever had, anywhere in the world.Special Features: