Hops & Hominy
1 Tillman Place
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Hops & Hominy
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hopsandhominy.com/
- Phone: 4153736341x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Weekday Breakfast: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Monday- Wednesday Dinner: 4:00 pm- 9:00 pm
Thursday- Saturday Dinner: 4:00 pm- 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: David Baeli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have several private event options:
Our upstairs mezzanine seats 30 guests for dinner, or 45 for a standing reception.
Our main floor dining seats 50 guest for dinner, or 80+ for standing reception. There is a full service bar on the main floor.
The patio area can be reserved for up to 50 guests.
We are also available to book the entire facility for larger events.
Please contact Kate for details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Kate Jameson 4153736341x
- Special Events: Please refer to the private party description. Kate is happy to answer any questions at email@example.com
- Cross Street: Grant Avenue between Sutter & Post (small alley)
- Public Transit: Bart: Montgomery Station; Powell Station
Muni: Montgomery Station; Powell Station
Bus Lines: Montgomery; Powell; Bush; Sutter; Post; Market stops
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is street parking at night. The Union Square and White House parking garages are conveniently located within 1 block.
A word from Hops & Hominy
We’re three friends from Ocala, Florida, with deep roots in small town hospitality. Our Southeastern inspired restaurant features a variety of sustainable and organic goods, craft brewed American micro-beers, and a choice collection of local wines and spirits. We aim to recreate a little taste of Southern community, bringing people together by sharing great food & drink. We look forward to welcoming you into our family.Continued
Daniel, David, and Adam
Hops & Hominy
Daniel, David, and Adam
Hops & Hominy
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hops & Hominy reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (65)vibrant bar scene (58)hot spot (54)good for groups (42)great for lunch (22)late-night find (18)great for brunch (18)special occasion (16)romantic (14)notable wine list (10)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Southern flavorsfnative415Dined on 7/31/2014Great place tucked away in an alley off of Grant. Outdoor seating was bustling, as well as the indoor bar. Dinner early at 5:30pm was a good time for conversation, because by 6:30pm, it was very loud. Delectable garlic fries and heirloom tomatoes with burrata were good choices. Shrimp and grits was delightful, but the shrimp was over salted. Fried chicken done perfectly, but would have liked more collards. Artful pork belly. Dessert chocolate bacon ice cream in a tiny cup of espresso was not up to snuff after a very good meal. Cobbler was better. Overall a very good place for after work dinner and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealjlologinDined on 7/28/2014Went here on the recommendation of a local. Loved it. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food, quaint ambianceParisDunkDined on 7/28/2014Food was good. Had country fried steak and fried chicken. Both were solid. Country fried steak was delicious but a bit heavy. Mac and Cheese was creamy. The absolute highlight was the jalapeno tequila drink. Such an extraordinary taste to have the spice kick it. The ambiance/decoration were very quaint, I enjoyed it. It was not overly too decorative, a very hip yet eloquent feel. High ceiling. Definitely would return here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2014Nice variety on menu and different choices from mainstay restaurants.Special Features:
- A great little restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014The grilled okra is delish! So is the chicken and dumplings! This spot is a yummy find.Special Features:
- All round good experienceBradDined on 7/12/2014Nice vibe, good food, wine & cocktails, great service and reasonably priced. Overall, an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltytravelwithdogsDined on 7/11/2014chicken fried steak gravey was over salted. Cornbread was delicious. Fried chick was average but accompanying hot sauce was tasty.Special Features:
- Whole lotta SoulBungle83Dined on 7/10/2014Great atmosphere, packed with lots of happy customers; the service was excellent and the food was too. Extremely interesting choices, tried the battered oysters for starter - they went down well with a beer! Had a steak for mains and again, really different and tasty! The staff were enthusiastic, friendly and seemed genuinely interested in their customers' dining experience. Would highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- FOOD WAS AWESOMELUVSOUTHERNFOODDined on 7/8/2014WE ORDERED APPETIZERS, BLACK EYED PEA FRITTERS AND GRILLED OKRA, THEY WERE DELICIOUS. THE FRIED CHICKEN WITH COLLARD GREENS WERE THE BEST I HAVE EVER HAD. CHICKEN WAS MOIST WITH A WONDERFUL CRISPY BREADING.( I ORDERED DARK MEAT CHICKEN) DRINKS FROM THE BAR WAS A BIT PRICEY BUT OVER ALL MY VISIT WAS WONDERFUL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where are my dumplings?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2014This was my second time at Hops & Hominy. First time we sat at the bar, had some awesome cocktails, shared some corn bread and mac & cheese. This time we sat at a table (no room at bar). We ordered two gin & jam cocktails- yum! I ordered the Chicken & Dumplings and my friend had the burger. My chicken and dumplings showed up with NO dumplings to be found. I sent the dish back and they added my dumplings in. The way I know chicken & dumplings is very creamy, almost like a chicken pot pie but not in pie style. The description gave no indication it would be any different. My dish however was more like Chicken soup and it was very bitter (too much green onion I thin). My friend said her burger was really good but I was bummed about my meal.
- Uncomfortable foodnooovinoDined on 6/28/2014I'll keep this short. Basically, the food and drinks are good, but the service sucks. Our waitress hardly paid any attention to us the whole night, forgetting a bunch of stuff and then completely ignoring us. The people next to us had to get up and track her down to get their bill. Normally, this wouldn't prevent me from leaving a normal tip. My friend and I split our bill and our waitress told us she wouldn't take the change we threw in to round out the bill. When we explained it to her she said "Um, okay..." It was rude and we left a bad tip because of it. My friend and I were in shock walking away after that. So much so that my friend decided to call the restaurant and complain. Like I said, food was good, but won't be coming back.
- amazing southern fareGJSCDined on 6/27/2014The food is very representative of gulf coast southern cuisine. Absolutely spot on. Sweet tea had soured a bit by the time we got there at 7 pm, but understandable oversight when the rest of the food is so amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!feedthegirlDined on 6/27/2014I decided to try this place based on a coworker's recommendation, and I'm happy to say that all her "ooh-ing and ahh-ing" was my reaction, too! Yummy cocktails, delicious entrees (pork chop was amazing!)and decadent desserts. Even when it became really busy and crowded, service was great. I'm telling everyone I know to come here to satisfy their comfort food cravings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notes from a TexanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Hops & Hominy is my favorite find in San Francisco. Growing up in Texas, cornbread, grits, chicken and dumplings, and chicken fried steak were some of the best comfort food. And find it outside of Texas and the south is hard. Well, it's easy to find. But to find it made well is difficult. Hops & Hominy always delivers. I enjoy going with friends and love the drink menu as well. Every time I have been it has consistently been good. It definitely gets loud so it's probably not best for intimate conversation.Special Features:
- The following 328 reviews are from the Hops & Hominy reviews archive.
- nouvelle southernHUlagirlVIPDined on 6/22/2014Loved it! Very innovative Southern cuisine. I had their eggs Benedict which had pieces of deep-fried white fish in it - very different but delicious. I made a mistake in what I ordered and our waiter was extremely gracious and accommodating about it. Has browns are to die for. Be warned - it is REALLY noisy!Special Features:
- mixed reviewtimbotDined on 6/21/2014Food was fine. They don't use grits, though, they use corn meal. We were celebrating our anniversary and when I booked the reservation over a week out, I asked for a table in a corner. I renewed my request when I called the morning of the reservation. They simply ignored my request and stuck us wherever they felt like. Which was distressing. Otherwise, we had a great meal and ended up during next to some very nice people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very high YUM! factor here!SchankdaVIPDined on 6/17/2014This restaurant came highly recommended and is near the hotel where my company was having its annual conference for members. The food is really, really good - we didn't have the fried chicken, but I had the shrimp and grits (divine!) and my colleague had the mac and cheese (equally divine!). We also each had a cocktail that involved apple, bacon and bourbon - again, very tasty, and also very fun to announce to co-workers that we'd had a cocktail containing bacon! Service was quick and attentive, and the decor is nice - lots of exposed brick and wood. Tables are not too close together (a big plus!), but I can see it could get hard to carry on a conversation once the bar got crowded. A good dining option in the Union Square area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJennFLDined on 6/16/2014Food was delicious. It is very noisy in the restaurant though. I recommend the black eyes pea fritters and the brownie ice cream dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spdinerVIPDined on 6/13/2014Good food overall, would go back again. Grits were good. Had better elsewhere.Special Features:
- Service :)RiverdineDined on 6/12/2014We made a reservation for 2 only one hour before arriving. The staff greeted us at the door right away, they were very busy but we were still seated within 5 min, excellent food, good staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Collectively Sub ParMmmMmmGoodVIPDined on 6/7/2014Space: Great. Looks good, great table. Food: Meh. Tasteless Chicken and Dumplings. Bland broth. Black eyed pea fritters were gummy and pasty although perfectly crunchy on the outside. Had high hope for the cocktails, and they were fine. Service: Perhaps a miscommunication between kitchen and service staff, but our main dishes came out while we were all still enjoying out appetizers and chatting. Two servers tried to make space wherever they could find on the table and our server said, "Sorry...I tried to course it out." Tab: $200. (Not including the 20% tip.)
- Uneven food qualityMczmcDined on 6/5/2014The salmon and risotto was fresh, perfectly done and refreshing , the country fried steak was tender and tasty, but the sauce (gravy) was bland and lukewarm on top of the hot steak. The garlic mashed potatoes were a bit salty and not garlicky. The tri-tip sandwich was just ok,nothing special. The fritters were very flavorful, nice spice but a bit underdone. The cornbread terrific and the kale quinoa salad perfectly dressed and a delicious combo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food fun atmosphereDroidcommanderDined on 6/2/2014I had the chicken fried steak. It was delicious. They have a great selection of beers and a knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOMaxLOMaxVIPDined on 5/30/2014It's tough to find good southern food in the Bay Area. This is a very loud place, close to Union Square. Good selection of interesting draft beer. Excellent appetizers - we had the mac n cheese, black eyed pea fritters, and kale salad - all good. Fried chicken was excellent, small portion of collard greens was just OK. Burnt my finger on hot skillet that the brownie came out on. Wished the waiter would have warned us about that. Overpriced, but hey, it's the city.
- jimkDined on 5/29/2014fried chicken was good. great beer selection. solid service.Special Features:
- Great serviceefd1Dined on 5/24/2014The food was delicious but we were most impressed by the friendly and knowledgable waitstaff. Great pick for date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/20/2014Volume was really high, but friendly atmosphere and nice spot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/20/2014Great Southern Food, I did not like the Bacon Ice Cream but that was my opinion.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC!!!love2eatDined on 5/16/2014The menu choices were inventive and delicious. The staff was friendly, informative, and fun. The beer choices were great.Special Features:
- Creative Southern CuisineraypediaVIPDined on 5/16/2014Having grown up in the South, I'm pretty picky about places outside of the South claiming to make Southern classics. Hops and Hominy doesn't claim it, they just do it. And do it exceedingly well. Their sausage gravy rivals some of the best I've had anywhere in the South, rich, a little spicy, with a perfectly executed biscuit. Shrimp and Grits is similarly spot-on, as is the Chicken Fried Steak. I have been here for both brunch and dinner and love them both in equal measure. And the wait staff is attentive, skilled and very friendly. This place is a winner in every respect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soul food but servicediningdivaDined on 5/15/2014The restaurant has a cute logo and a good location, close to all in Union Square. The dining room was extremely noisy even for a late mid-week meal. The menu was all soul food. The service was mediocre at best. The young waitress was unattentive. The shrimp and grits arrived with half cooked shrimp swimming in a spicy sauce (grits were the only good part of the meal). The chicken pot pie was very good but with mediocre service we won't be returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Loved the place and decor. The appetizers came out lukewarm and the service was okay. The fried chicken was good
- A favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/1/2014Went here last trip to San Fran a year ago and couldn't wait to come back. Talked nonstop about to my friends who came with me and they loved it as well!! Will make H&H a regular stop on my trips out here. LOVE IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AppetizersNickVIPDined on 5/1/2014They have a short menu list but the black eyed pea fritters are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightDivswhoDineDined on 4/30/2014We dined here for dinner before a fancy party and did not feel out of place even though it was a Southern food restaurant. Seemed like there was a great happy hour going on before we arrived. Food was hearty and tasty, but the waiter was not knowledgable about the wine list or menu which was the only frustration of our evening.Special Features:
- Good food, a bit priceyJonasMVIPDined on 4/28/2014Great food, although a bit on the pricey side. Black-eyed Pea Fritters (3 stars) Fried Chicken (4 stars) Mac & Cheese (4 stars) Pork Chop (5 stars) Oyster Po Boy (4 Stars) Good place to hang out, but just be ready to spend a bit.Special Features:
- Comfy BustleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2014Saw this on open table, wanted comfort food, and some drinks. Comfort food was very good. One of the most amazing corn breads and biscuits and fried chicken. Corn bread is not sticky and sweet like most, but rather fluffy and light! Fried chicken definitely on par with ad-hoc in napa and drinks are amazing / dangerous being strong and refreshing. Pork chop was a bit dry, which behooves me as its easy to cook pork chops. The tri-tip sandwich was good, but also a bit dry unfortunately. I think stick with the comfort food and its perfect! Definitely a good energetic place with great drinks and comfort food.Special Features:
- Still good.DrJimDined on 4/24/2014I have been back 3 times since the first time there. Still friendly personal, good service and food. A great meeting place for drinks, appetizers and talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatVIPDined on 4/17/2014This was my first time to this restaurant and I must say I was happy I chose it! First of all let me say that the black eyed pea fritters are to DIE for and the dipping sauce was not hot either, it had the right amount of kick. For my entrée I chose the pacific halibut and my friend had the oyster po boy sandwich. She said it was good but a little dry. My halibut was perfectly seared on the outside yet flaky and tender on the inside. Thanks to Yelp for the suggestion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choicesLJ94070Dined on 4/15/2014Tasty food. My husband had the chicken fried steak and tthought the cut of meat was bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.