Tom Hams Lighthouse
2150 Harbor Island Dr
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Tom Hams Lighthouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tomhamslighthouse.com/
- Phone: 6192919110x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday From 11:30am-3pm
Brunch: Sunday 9:30am to 2pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5pm - 9pm and Friday & Saturday 5pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Lance Repp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Stephany in our catering office.
- Private Party Facilities: Private and Semi-private accomadations for groups from 20 to 350. Buyouts avaialble. All Dining space has magnificent view of the San Diego Bay.
- Private Party Contact: Stephany Phenny 619-291-9110x
A word from Tom Hams Lighthouse
Tom Ham’s Lighthouse was built in 1971 by a man who was not afraid to put his name on his product. Rooted in warm welcomes & excellent food, Tom Ham made his lifelong dream a reality. Tom Ham’s Lighthouse is the only restaurant in the US to have a USCG operated & maintained Lighthouse attached to it. You can locate us on any modern nautical map as Beacon #9. Featuring a 100% responsibly resourced seafood menu & award winning Sunday Champagne Brunch, we are a must when it comes to the San Diego food scene. The dining room, purposely shaped like the state of California, allows for groups as grand as 92 yet private enough for a couple’s night out. Holiday brunches have been long time family traditions for many San Diegans. Start your family’s tradition this next holiday. With the best views of the Downtown City Skyline, Coronado & San Diego Bay, Tom Ham's is & remains a San Diego tradition in dining excellence since 1971.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Tom Hams Lighthouse - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Tom Hams Lighthouse reviews from OpenTable diners
227 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (204)great for outdoor dining (173)special occasion (145)romantic (122)great for brunch (81)good for groups (69)fit for foodies (55)great for lunch (50)notable wine list (33)neighborhood gem (29)kid-friendly (18)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (10)Show More
- Tom Ham's LighthouseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/23/2014Great for outdoor or indoor dining with a fabulous view of San Diego bay. Great selection of craft beers at a reasonable price, especially at happy hour. The appetizers we had (calamari and mussels) were delicious. Good selection of entrees. Salmon was well prepared and not at all "fishy". Ribeye was very tender. Service was a little slow, but the food was hot when served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Outside seating was great until they removed the umbrella that slightly fell (no injury, my wife DID NOT get hurt) on my wife's arm due to the wind. Requested seating with a shade but everything was taken. Great service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BrunchMJF3VIPDined on 6/22/2014Tom Ham's has one of my favorite Sunday brunches, because it offers cold lobster, crab, and shrimp, as well as raw shellfish and smoked salmon. Aside from that (which is what attracts me), they have a strong array of brunch favorites, including prime rib (which is always on the slightly tough side...leading one to wonder whether it is actually "choice rib of beef," going by cut quality, rather than "prime rib of beef"). Brunch includes champagne (nothing fancy, just cheap J. Roget), and a dessert table that is actually bad, with no strong choices. Best to just avoid the desserts, rather than end the brunch on a down-note. Service is typically quite good here. Very nice bay views.Special Features:
- Unbelievable!mellDined on 6/22/2014Everything was out of this world! Crab legs, oysters, scallops, shrimp, prime rib, salads galore, dessert-Oh my! Dianna was our server and she made everything fun and was attentive. Outstanding celebration in every way!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Not the best we've ever had but it was very good. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Id rather picnic in the parking lotsome1elseDined on 6/21/2014the table location and the view it afforded was phenomenal, but the rest of the experience I could have done without. our waitress made sure to set the tone off right by demanding to know if we were ready to order drinks not 30 seconds after we'd sat, and just like polite service industry employees are supposed to do, she all but removed my menu from my hands and flipped it to the drinks because I was off task, looking at food. I informed her that first I prefer to peruse the menu first, so as better to pair my selection, but she could tell us the specials (which she did half-heartedly, glancing around the room at her other tables) one of my side items was ridiculously cold- so cold that the vessel it was in wouldn't melt butter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2014great food, fantastic location and views. Main dining room is a very large open rectangle, with a noisy sports bar at one end. the service was good+, the busboys need to pay more attention to filling water glasses, etc.Special Features:
- Superb diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014From the wine at the bar to the superb dessert following dinner, the whole dining experience was great. The corner table overlooking the bay afforded us spectacular views of many boats under sail on a beautiful San Diego evening.Special Features:
- Incredible ExperienceGonzoDined on 6/17/2014Surprised my husband with a Birthday Dinner. The staff went out of their way to provide us with a terrific view and incredible hospitality. The food was delicious and the experience incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to snuffFoodmanVIPDined on 6/15/2014Tom Ham's needs help. Wonderful location and view. Ordinarily I rarely complain about food but the halibut was of poor quality and not prepared with any love. My date's linguine with clams had dried out clams and the broth was poorly seasoned. Just a major disappointment given the location. The waiter gave us someone else s bill which is an action I always find inexcusable.Special Features:
- Excellentleezra79Dined on 6/15/2014Tom Ham's has always been a great place to have dinner with a view. The recent remodel has significantly updated the look and feel of the interior, and the food and service continue to be top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bummerSimplegalDined on 6/15/2014Food was more upscale than before they rehab'd. The bar was awesome! Outdoor dinning awesome! Would have like to have regular bread and hot lobster for choices for dinner at an upscale place like this but those were the only bummers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchbrunchreviewDined on 6/15/2014This was an amazing venue for a Sunday brunch with spectacular views of the San Diego skyline and the bay. Went there with my mom and 3-year old for Father's Day. Very kid friendly with wide walkways and food choices for their taste. The waitress filled our mimosa glasses as soon as we sat down, kept the refills coming, and cleaned up used plates promptly before we returned with fresh food. I went there for the seafood but was disappointed with the freshness. The oysters were sticky and dry and the crab claws/legs were just okay. The scallops were very good. The omelet bar was extensive but I didn't want to fill up on one big omelet. Most of the hot foods were outstanding so I stuck with those. A great experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SEAFOOD GALORE!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014I recently ate here for my birthday and to celebrate Father's day this past Sunday and Tom Ham's Lighthouse did not dissapoint! I highly recommend making a reservation ahead of time because this spot is popular on Sundays. My favorite part about their Sunday brunch is the SEAFOOD! The other food was average. I wish they had more of a dessert selection too for their brunch menu. The champagne they serve for their UNLIMITED MIMOSAS is very good also! I forgot the name :( You also get a treat with a great view of the downtown San Diego skyline and the bay. What I also love about this place is their SERVICE! James and Elan served us and always made sure our champagne glasses were filled and plates were cleared for more!Special Features:
- Great food / fantastic view!!smodineDined on 6/14/2014The menu had a great selection of seafood. Our food was incredible and we loved the view!Special Features:
- Needs more experienceKengalVIPDined on 6/14/2014This place could be incredible. Beautiful location and a really cool space with great views. Most of the food was very good, particularly the bouillabaisse and the cheesecake (although real bread would be so much better than that basket of TraderJoe-like lavosh, and the cheese board should come with more than three crackers.) The biggest problem was the reasonably friendly but inexperienced / unprofessional service. It felt like the whole place was staffed by nice people who had never worked in a restaurant before. Kinda weird. If not for the spectacular location it would have been a forgettable dinner.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Lunch!TheFirstMateDined on 6/14/2014The food was good--the view fantastic and the sailboats sailing by were a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view is terrificVernsmomDined on 6/14/2014Our family lunch was enhanced by the nice service, tasty food and terrific view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best view on a beautifuloonlit Eve.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/13/2014We lucked out, went for dinner on the patio during the full moon. Perfect view across the bay of the skyline and moonlight on the water. Cole, our server, was great even though newer. The food was good, but the moon stole the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2014Very special for our anniversary dinner. We felt like special family guests.Special Features:
- MikeHungryDined on 6/11/2014Very limited menu and during are visit, poor service. Our waiter was not very attentive our knowledgable about the menu. Considering the price point for the food we were highly disappointed about the service and time that it took to receive our main course. 1 hour between our salads and the main course is extremely long wait times. Our drinks would sit on the bar for an extended amount of time before our waiter retrieve them and the disappear again. I would not recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Really niceKenhawkVIPDined on 6/8/2014Have nothing but good things to say about our experience in this iconic San Diego restaurant.Special Features:
- bebeDined on 6/8/2014Seafood brunch was great. Didn't bother to eat other selection. Limited dessert choices. Took a while for my hot water for my hot tea to come because the waiter forgot. Otherwise would love to come back but a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 87PLUSDined on 6/7/2014Wonderful restaurant to take out of town guests. Highly recommend Tom Ham's. The family is doing a great job following in their father's footsteps.Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant in San DiegoRwardenDined on 6/5/2014My wife and I went here on our anniversary and had a spectacular meal. The outside dining area had a great view of the city. We had the Halibut and swordfish and it was cooked to perfection. I would highly recommend it for a romantic dinner with a memorable view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awsome29yearsDined on 6/2/2014It was our 29th wedding anniversary and we have not been here in years. Everything was wonderful. Our waiter , Nick, was the most attentive and knowledgeable waiter we have had in years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 3rd Time At Tom Hams LighthouseParentsWeekendYr2Dined on 6/1/2014This is our 3rd visit to Tom Hams Lighthouse. We found it 2 years ago while on a trip with our daughter during her Freshman Orientation at SDSU. We revisited a year later with her and my father-in-law. During this trip (June 2014), it was our daughters choice to have dinner here while celebrating some great news she received. The food is excellent; the service was tremendous; and we sat outside to enjoy the sunset! This restaurant will remain on our "go to" restaurant list! Enjoy...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumyumDined on 5/31/2014An unmatched view! Loved the remodel. Service was excellent will have to return to check out the brunch.Special Features:
- Great dining for all occasions.JohnDined on 5/30/2014If you desire mediocre cuisine, go elsewhere. Our dining occasion at Tom Hams Lighthouse was beyond remarkable. We experienced a friendly staff, a complete menu and food cooked to perfection at a reasonable price. Everything one expects from an upscale restaurant while seated outdoors on a patio with an unobstructed view of San Diego Bay and the downtown skyline. Reservations, highly recommended for acceptable wait times, may be made easily online or by telephone. Did I mention the recent renovations?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweeping Views AboundBigearlinsocalDined on 5/29/2014We sat in the "Sweetheart Booth" in the corner closest to the window. But the entire perimeter of the restaurant is lined with massive bay windows and majestic ocean views, with either downtown or Coronado in the background. The food is amazing, and oh-so fresh. We had fresh oysters from CA and Baja, grilled octopus, and flaky Lavash flatbread. Paired everything with a Peachy Canyon wine. The Wife had Bouillabaisse and loved it. I got the Whole Fish Special, a Red Snapper that was delightfully flaky and buttery. Oh, and our Server, Arlin was fantastic, so we left a good tip. But I hope Management reads this and gives her a bonus! Thanks for the dessert! We'll be back . . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ljs484866ljsDined on 5/29/2014Great food , wonderful view and good service. We will be back soonSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/28/2014Exquisite. TO; OPEN TABLE. EXQUISITE IS A WORD THAT COVERS ALL BASES.Special Features:
- THE BEST of the BESTjctippyDined on 5/25/2014If you've never been to Tom Hams, YOU MUST GO! The Sunday Brunch is of the HOOK! Piles of FRESH Lobster claws and snow crab clusters. Mounds of shrimp, oysters and scallops. This brunch is the BEST in the City of San Diego... THE WORLD! Reserve early dinning, 9:30am when they first open and request the patio, railing seating. Breath taking view of our city. 2 weeks in advance should do it. WE WILL BE BACK! YES, it pricey, but well worth it. You only live once <3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1256 reviews are from the Tom Hams Lighthouse reviews archive.
- sUE850Dined on 5/24/2014We had lunch outside on a cool, cloudy day. The heaters were on and made it very comfortable. Food and service are always excellent hereSpecial Features:
- Great ScenerycitygazerDined on 5/23/2014I had a wonderful time at Tom Ham's Lighthouse. We ate out on the deck with the beautiful view of the San Diego Skyline and bay. The location is perfect for a date-night. I enjoyed the food and the service was perfect. Overall it was a perfect dining experience!Special Features:
- Great experience and meal!BenjDined on 5/23/2014We've dined here several times, mostly due to the proximity of the restaurant to the marina we keep our boat. This time was excellent as always. Our server, Cassie, took great car of us. We had a selection of oysters, all were excellent and fresh! The wine (Sonoma Coutrer) was amazing and my swordfish and my wife's scallops were prepared perfectly. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Skyline ViewbigmattVIPDined on 5/18/2014Our second visit here since the re-modeling. Great they finally took advantage of their location to add al fresco and take advantage of the downtown skyline and the water views. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Best brunch in town!mc021Dined on 5/18/2014Lets get the bad out of the way first. The oysters are subpar quality. Okay, now that we got the bad out of the way, everything else was absolutely amazing! This is better than some of the buffets in Vegas. The prime rib was one of the best I've had. Lobster claws, crab legs, and scallops were great. Everything else I am sure was good too but I didn't wander too far from the options I listed!Special Features:
- THE place for a romantic dinnerCatyUDined on 5/17/2014Everybody was really nice, with a good service. We spend almost 2 hours enjoying the food and the views Definitely we are going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic ViewHickyDined on 5/17/2014The view is breathtaking, the food excellent and the wine list impressive. Great place to show off what San Diego has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.