Zocalo Back Bay
35 Stanhope Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Zocalo Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zocalobackbay.com/
- Phone: 6174567849
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 11am-3pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:30pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jaime Castillo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Cross Street: between Berkeley Street and Clarendon Street at the corner of Cahners Place
- Public Transit: Orange Line to Back Bay Station
Green Line to Copley Station or Arlington Station
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking & Parking Garage at 100 Clarendon Street, Boston, MA. Nightly Rate: 5 pm- 7 am $10, Daily Rate: 2 hours or less $18
A word from Zocalo Back Bay
Contemporary Mexican cuisine based on traditional culinary recipes. The outstanding food, impeccable service & vibrant decor offers an unforgettable experience for all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Zocalo Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (40)good for groups (33)neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (22)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (18)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (12)romantic (9)special occasion (6)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Best Guacamole EverOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/2/2012Best guacamole I've ever had. Service is great. Drinks were really good, no pressure to order top-end Margaritas. Two of us had Tacos al Carbon, one beef one chicken, excellent! Highly recommend this little gem.Special Features:
- great food. great margaritas.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2012great food. great margaritas. however, when we got there they told us unapologetically that they were running behind. we sat in the bar for 30 mins but no one was snooty about it.Special Features:
- The guacamole was abundantBobibosVIPDined on 2/24/2012The guacamole was abundant and very good and the chips were fresh. The salsa was sweet and savory - very different and good vs. the normal table salsa one gets at a mexican restaurant. The chicken burrito was tasty, with grilled chicken and fresh ingredients. Great spot for lunch. Prices and food quality was reasonable. definitely would go back and recommend. Interesting and diverse menu.Special Features:
- Great food from guacamole,JTB1VIPDined on 2/23/2012Great food from guacamole, cervicher, to duck mole that is outstanding (but a little sparse on the duck meat). The place certainly has a buzz about it, but too deafening if you want to have a conversation at the table.
- Guacamole was A-MAZING, chipsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2012Guacamole was A-MAZING, chips were good until got cold, then kinda chewy. They were 'out' of horchata? Not sure how you run out of a drink you should be able to blend with rice milk, almonds and cinnamon...in a bar. Friend had the St. Pisco but could not taste the St. Germain. Battered fish tacos were ok - good flavor but dry... Maybe frying needs work. Jicama salad: were more carrots than jicama and they did not taste good. Friend's fish was oversalted; corn was good. Waitress was very accommodating. Went on a Friday night at 630 - it was extremely loud. I'd go back but at a different time.Special Features:
- This is an attractive, funBettyDined on 2/15/2012This is an attractive, fun and comfortable restaurant. We had a nice party for six - good food, very enjoyable.Special Features:
- My fiance and I went to ZocaloOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012My fiance and I went to Zocalo for Valentine's Day 2012 and had a great time. When we first arrived, the hostess brought us to their downstairs dining room, which is very small (4 tables and a bar) and we were the only ones there. It was definitely private, but also kind of awkward because the waiter checked on us constantly since we were the only table. After we'd ordered food, others came to dine downstairs and the experience improved. The food was fantastic (I had the carnitas, my fiance had the steak special) but the mango sangria left something to be desired. Overall, a great experience and we would not hesitate to return.Special Features:
- The food was very good --zanandchuckVIPDined on 2/14/2012The food was very good -- we both had Tacos Carbon. However, the menu stated that there was a chili relleno (or 2, I think) on the plate and it did not appear. After hearing our complaint the waiter brought us one, saying that the menu had just changed. He should have told us, but he did the right thing by bringing it. Tables are too close together. We could hear everything being discussed next to us.Special Features:
- Favorite Mexican restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/10/2012Favorite Mexican restaurant in the city by far! Mole sauce is to die for.Special Features:
- Delicious guac, delectableadventurousdinersVIPDined on 2/10/2012Delicious guac, delectable fish tacos, great fajitas. Fantastic margarita, disappointing sangria. Owner very welcoming and eager to please, but our server was lazy and not on top of things. We will return. Note that the only parking was at a local garage for $10. Not bad.Special Features:
- Great Food, Tiny TablesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2012Great food and service, the reason for my sub-stellar review has to do with the cramped space and tiny tables. My boyfriend's shoulders were larger than our table! It was a little uncomfortable, but the food was great!
- Our service was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/4/2012Our service was wonderful and so was the food. It was a bit loud for a date spot but we still had a great time and if you don't mind being in a more energetic scene on a date from time to time it's definitely a good place to check out.Special Features:
- Very good a typical MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/4/2012Very good a typical Mexican food not always easy to find in Boston. Great atmosphere with very helpful and attentive staff. Great made on the spot guacamole.Special Features:
- Another Zocalo VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/3/2012Always great food there when visiting. Just disappointed they didn't have churros that night! Other than that, the food was great. Our server seemed a bit off, but not necessarily in a bad way -- just didn't realize how dry his humor was.Special Features:
- Terrific, out-of-the-ordinaryclassicaljockDined on 1/20/2012Terrific, out-of-the-ordinary Mexican food. Especially loved the jicama salad, salsa, guacamole (made right there - near the bar). Wished I'd had more room for dessert. Wonderful location near the Lyric Stage & Back Bay.Special Features:
- Great experience. TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2012Great experience. Terrific food. Service was a bit too fast but other than that all was great.Special Features:
- Excellent Mexican outpostBesserFresserVIPDined on 1/11/2012Excellent Mexican outpost with hand-made guacamole a delicious must-have. Service was attentive and professional, top-shelf margaritas spiked with a wide variety of available tequilas. Wish the menu had gone on a bit longer, but the tacos al pastor were wonderful, especially when enhanced with the hand-made masa tortillas made on-demand on-site. This hands-on approach raises the interest here above most other Mexican choices downtown.Special Features:
- Excellent guacamole and aOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/11/2012Excellent guacamole and a very nice jicama salad. Definitely worth a spot in the rotationSpecial Features:
- awesome food & killer margaritas.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/5/2012awesome food & killer margaritas. Love the flavors & variety. Not the typical tacos/rice & beans place. Spinich rellenos , pollo mole are hit. Guacamole & salsa spicy enough for advventuous without being too hot for gringos.Special Features:
- One of my new favorite places!BunkieVIPDined on 1/3/2012Everything was fantastic! It was our first time dining there and we loved the food, service and ambiance. The food was delicious and the presentation was beautiful. Definitely get the guacamole like everyone is writing about. It's worth it! Instead of main course dinners, which all sound amazing, we went for a lighter bite and shared three "appetizers" along with the guacamole. That was perfect for us since we both had late lunches. This is well thought out flavorful food. If you're looking for a burrito, hit the burrito cart. Our server was very knowledgable and attentive without being annoying. Looking forward to going back for more!Special Features:
- Excellent flavors, remindedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/17/2011Excellent flavors, reminded me a lot of the Rick Bayless restaurants in Chicago. High quality, earthy, Mexican food. Intricate, deep flavors.Special Features:
- Very flavorful food. GuacamoleBernieDined on 12/16/2011Very flavorful food. Guacamole must be ordered. Drinks are well prepared. Service is good to the point that they are available and not too overwhelmed to forget about you.
- Everyone in our 5-person groupOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/16/2011Everyone in our 5-person group thought their food was delicious. I especially liked the chile rellenos. The chips and salsa were tasty too.Special Features:
- The food was just fantastic.EggSS4VIPDined on 12/14/2011The food was just fantastic. Some of the best salsa I've had with chips, good guac and dishes with complex flavors. The red sangria was particularly great (the white was just OK). I was thrilled to find this place.Special Features:
- This was really good. I thinkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/13/2011This was really good. I think my ubiquitous complaint about Mexican food is the amount of salt in the marinade - this is no exception. The salmon ceviche was different but good, the beef taco were very petite, and a bit too salty, but beautiful presentation and flavors.
- SO delicious! Can't wait to go backandiepantsDined on 12/11/2011I went on a Sunday evening; the upstairs was almost full, but it was still relatively quiet, which I like. The ambiance was great, the service fantastic, and the food out-of-this-world. I'm not a foodie but was very impressed. The salsa alone that they serve before the meal was the best salsa I ever had. It had a sweetness and a roasted flavor that I loved. When I asked about mezcal, our server brought over a sample for us to try, and was very knowledgeable about the liquors. I went to Zocalo because I had purchased a half-price voucher for dinner for two on Travelzoo, but I would happily go back and pay full-price for such delicious food!! The drink menu was extensive also, so I'm looking forward to sampling more of their cocktails.Special Features:
- The guacamole was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/9/2011The guacamole was outstanding. The marguaritas fresh and tart (maybe a bit too tart?) The main dishes were interesting, I loved my vegetarian chili rellano and the plantains, and the side of black beans had a great texture (not mushy as so often happens). We will try it again.Special Features:
- Food is still very good, butJTB1VIPDined on 12/9/2011Food is still very good, but the noise has increased and the service declined. Be sure to specify when you order chicken mole; there are two types -- verde and the chocolate-based type. I just said chicken mole (thinking I was order the choc one), but the waitresses favorite is the verde type so that's what I got. Dessert took 20 minutes to arrive. And noise was so loud that we couldn't carry out even a shouting conversation. It's convenient, but my former high praise has been dimmed by this experience.
- A bit loud but fun atmosphere.Lbos23Dined on 12/8/2011A bit loud but fun atmosphere. Gourmet Mexican food - not Tex Mex!Special Features:
- Delicious food, courteous serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2011We had a lovely pre-theater dinner at Zocalo before going to the Lyric Stage. The restaurant was crowded and fairly noisy (it was a Saturday night), but we still were able to hold a conversation over dinner. The fresh guacamole and homemade tortilla chips were outstanding, especially because of the zing of fresh lime juice in the guac. Two of our three main dishes were excellent; one was just okay and much too spicy for our tastes (with no such warning on the menu description). We had to wait quite a while for our entrees to arrive, but the service was extremely attentive and courteous. All in all a really nice experience and we will return to the Zocalo.
- MM MM Good!YahnDined on 12/1/2011AAAA, I LOVE ZOCALO! I have already given an extensive review of the restaurant but I wanted to give it another great review! Really good food, great people, awesome time. Stop in for a drink at the bar or stay for dinner. Gets really loud but after you taste the food you won't be talking much.Special Features:
- Arriba Zocalo!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/30/2011WOW!! What a great new find, a restaurant in Back Bay/South End serving Mexican food!! And open for lunch!! Perhaps it is the newness of the front of the house staff, but there was an annoying bit of frustration on our part, confusion on the greeter's part about the concept of "reservation" during the seating skirmish. Maybe it's MOI, but JUST WHY are women offered (and refused you betcha!)the worst tables in the house when there are plenty available? Why indeed would one bother to make a reservation? Maybe it's again ME, but I thought that meant that the host RESERVED a superior table!?! Speedily delivered delicious fresh food, appealing presentation,charming decor in warm and sunny color palette, very reasonable prices. We'll be BACK!!Special Features:
- What a great find...it wasSlugVIPDined on 11/26/2011What a great find...it was truly outstanding in all ways. For many years, each time we come to Boston, we have been going to a different Mexican restaurant nearby. Zocalo greatly surpasses that one.Special Features:
- Too noisy. They spend tooLocalfoodieVIPDined on 11/25/2011Too noisy. They spend too much effort making noise while making cocktails. Food so so Enciladas are pre made....
- It was a quiet night beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2011It was a quiet night before Thanksgiving when we visited. We tried many different dishes and found them all to be tasty.
- Delicioso!YahnDined on 11/18/2011750 characters is not enough to explain how much I love Zocalo. I have been here a few times already but my last visit reminded me why is is one of the top places that I reccomend to people. You walk through the massive doors into a small vestibule and when you enter the restaurant you are usually greeted by the owner (and if not then he will check in on you while you are seated and make sure everything is "up to par"). After trying out multiple dishes from all over the menu I cannot pick out a favorite (I plan on trying everything). You just need to try this place on your own. Of yea, and if you like guacamole then you should just stop here for a drink and some of the best "guac" you can find. Overall its one of the best in Boston.Special Features:
- This was our second experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2011This was our second experience at Zocalo, and once again we were very pleased. The only negative is that it gets quite loud when the tables have filled up.Special Features:
- Mexican GemOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/13/2011I had heard great things about this restaurant from friends of mine and finally decided to check it out. The food was delicious, and the margaritas divine. The space was intimate but trendy. I would definitely recommend this place and look forward to my next visit.
- Reasonably priced interesting,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011Reasonably priced interesting, delicious, fresh Mexican food. Guac is mashed right in front of you. Energetic enviornment.Special Features:
- Great food. It was a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011Great food. It was a great find. The bar downstairs is a cozy place to wait for your table. Great ambiance.Special Features: